Metal Gear Solid 5 will have an episodic structure

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

But apparantly it's going to be huge according to Kojima.

Link

Kojima-san explained that he wants to create a game that everyone can play through, even those that don’t have much time, so there will be long missions and short missions, and the story will follow an episodic structures with different chapters like a TV series. So when you have time you can play those chapters, otherwise you can choose to develop your mother base. Eventually your character will “start developing” and it’ll all tie up in the whole story:

When you put it all together it creates a huge story.

Hopefully this will put at ease those that are worried about the creation of a trend of short games within the Metal Gear franchise. Kojima himself said on Twitter today:

The reason why I release the prologue w next gen release is so that I want u to see the future of what the next gen game feels like.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

Awesome. I have always wanted my gaming experience to mirror that of the TV experience. :|

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

lol Pedro is back and now I dont have to be the negative dude anymore.

I like that you can play this as an open world game going back to previously visited environments. The episodic nature of these chapters should fit in right with the open world Peace Walker mission structure.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#5 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Let's hope the game is as good as it can be

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

I hope it's a lot better than peace-walker, I just couldn't get into that game. The whole episode style of that game wasn't good for me.

I guess that whatever Kojima thinks is best for the game is exactly what it should be and I won't question it, I might not play MGS5 since he's splitting the game up and possibly overcharging for the first portion. I do hope it's a great game whatever it ends up being, MGS4 was just incredible IMO. It was one of a very few games that emotionally moved me. The fist fight at the end...quite amazing.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

Until Kojima releases a bad game, I'll refrain from questioning his decisions.

tempura13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 tempura13
Member since 2009 • 453 Posts

So, can we expect to actually explore around your Mother Base in between missions? I like the idea where you can hang around the facilities of your base and check on what your comrades are doing. Maybe you can participate in other activities too, like personnel training and stuff.

keenj41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By keenj41
Member since 2009 • 28 Posts

I'm not usually crazy about open world games, but with Kojima doing MGS5 as one, I know it will be a unique experience to say the least. I think it will be great to be able to execute your mission when you want, and have the freedom to enter a facility in a number of ways. It definitely sounds like he is building off of the Peacewalker model with the whole Mother Base part of it, which will be cool on a bigger scale. I am also really excited to see what will be done with multiplayer if anything. It would be cool to have big maps with squads and vehicles like Battlefield but with the MGS setting/gameplay.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I give Kojima alot of crap, and he desrves it. But this is actually a good Idea. And kudos for going Double Platform this time, hopefully next time they'l go Quatro-platform.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I give Kojima alot of crap, and he desrves it. But this is actually a good Idea. And kudos for going Double Platform this time, hopefully next time they'l go Quatro-platform.