Media Create Sales 10/22 - 10/28

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Software:

01. Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Fuuketsu no Grimoire (DS) - 142,000 / NEW

02. Ar Tonelico II: Sekai ni Hibiku Shoujo Tachi (PS2) - 72,000 / NEW

03. World Soccer Winning Eleven DS Goal x Goal! (DS) - 29,000 / NEW

04. Imabikisou (PS3) - 23,000 / NEW

05. DS Bungaku Zenshuu (DS) - 21,000 / 54,000

06. Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch (DS) - 20,000 / NEW

07. Ghost Squad (Wii) - 20,000 / NEW

08. God of War II (PS2) - 17,000 / NEW

09. DS Nishimura Kyotaro Suspense Shin Tantei Series: Kyoto Atami Zekkai no Kotou - Satsui no Wana (DS) - 17,000 / 98,000

10. Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon: Time Expedition Party (DS) - 16,000 / 537,000

11. Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (DS)
12. Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon: Shadow Expedition Party (DS)
13. KanKen DS 2 + Jouyou Kanji Jiten (DS)
14. Wii Sports (Wii)
15. Gundam Battle Chronicle (PSP)
16. Dragon Ball Z: Sparking! Meteor (PS2)
17. Taiko Drum Master DS (DS)
18. Mario Party 8 (Wii)
19. Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann (DS)
20. Volleyball World Cup: Venus Evolution (PS2)
21. Seaman 2 (PS2)
22. Gintama: Banjiya Chuubu! (Wii)
23. Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisecchi: Mina San Kyu (DS)
24. Mario Kart DS (DS)
25. Wii Play (Nintendo)
26. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
27. My Housekeeping Diary (DS)
28. More Brain Age (DS)
29. Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure (Wii)
30. Home Teacher Hitman Reborn! Let's Assassinate!? (PS2)

Hardware:
DS- 76,243
PSP- 59,792
Wii- 27,502
PS3- 18,785
PS2- 11,698
360- 3,718
Hardware numbers seem to have levelled out.  I'm glad to see the PSP holding its own in the hardware numbers, and the Wii is up a little bit over last week.  I suspect SMG will make things pretty crazy next week.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

Zack and wiki 29 :(

Has wii sports been in the top twenty for a year now? :?

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rragnaar

Zack and wiki 29 :(

gaminggeek

Yeah that is a sad state of affairs for the old Zak and Wiki.  My copy finally arrived the other day, and then I finally had a free half hour to play it last night.  I love it.  I will write up more impressions and bump the official thread when I have more to say about it.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

Sweet.

All the sites are reporting that for the fourth consecutive month, the wii's lead over the pS3 has slimmed. But it's still outselling it 2:1

The PS3 is SO much cheaper over there I think you can get one for the equivalent of £170-ish pounds. Damn, wish we got those prices.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rragnaar

Sweet.

All the sites are reporting that for the fourth consecutive month, the wii's lead over the pS3 has slimmed. But it's still outselling it 2:1

The PS3 is SO much cheaper over there I think you can get one for the equivalent of £170-ish pounds. Damn, wish we got those prices.

gaminggeek

Yeah, if I lived in Europe and didn't care about Blu-Ray, I'd import the PS3, there is no reason to pay the insane prices they are asking.
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts
I wanna play number 30 so bad, Home Teacher, Lets Assassinate! Sounds like a blast.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

I wanna play number 30 so bad, Home Teacher, Lets Assassinate! Sounds like a blast.HiResDes

I'm personally more interested in My Housekeeping Diary.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rragnaar

I wanna play number 30 so bad, Home Teacher, Lets Assassinate! Sounds like a blast.HiResDes

:lol: I missed that one, that looks pretty crazy... Seaman 2 sure didn't have any legs. It went from first to 21st.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

[QUOTE="HiResDes"]I wanna play number 30 so bad, Home Teacher, Lets Assassinate! Sounds like a blast.SteelAttack

I'm personally more interested in My Housekeeping Diary.

OMG, hahahaha! Honestly, those are two things that I never thought I'd see together, that game beat out Zack & Wiki sad.:shock:

ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ArchonBasic
Member since 2002 • 6420 Posts

[QUOTE="HiResDes"]I wanna play number 30 so bad, Home Teacher, Lets Assassinate! Sounds like a blast.rragnaar

:lol: I missed that one, that looks pretty crazy... Seaman 2 sure didn't have any legs. It went from first to 21st.

I'm trying to decide if that was intended to be a play on words. :P
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rragnaar
[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

[QUOTE="HiResDes"]I wanna play number 30 so bad, Home Teacher, Lets Assassinate! Sounds like a blast.Archon_basic

It was a subtle attempt at humor, but an attempt nontheless.  That, and I didn't know how else to say it.
ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ArchonBasic
Member since 2002 • 6420 Posts
[QUOTE="Archon_basic"][QUOTE="rragnaar"]

[QUOTE="HiResDes"]I wanna play number 30 so bad, Home Teacher, Lets Assassinate! Sounds like a blast.rragnaar

It was a subtle attempt at humor, but an attempt nontheless. That, and I didn't know how else to say it.

I got a chuckle out of it. :)
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts
Wow no one cares for GoW 2 over there...dvader654
I'm pretty sure they didn't do much promotion for it, or for the original GoW when they brought it over there (in fact, Sony didn't even bringthe original GoW to Japan. Capcom did the localization).
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Man, that sucks for Zack and Wiki. Really sucks. Not even top ten. :(

But put a brick with Final Fantasy title on it and it will be in the top 3 even if the game is bad.

Honestly, I can never understand the Japanese market.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

Man, that sucks for Zack and Wiki. Really sucks. Not even top ten. :(

But put a brick with Final Fantasy title on it and it will be in the top 3 even if the game is bad.

Honestly, I can never understand the Japanese market.

ASK_Story

It's just like the American market in this regard, really.

Look at the sales of the likes of something anything based on a popular franchise. Irrelevent of quality, a popular franchise is going to get high sales when a game is made based on that franchise (like, oh, Movie games, and Bulletproof). :P

s0m4cruz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 s0m4cruz
Member since 2007 • 212 Posts

Final fantasy tactics is always gr8 :)

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
That Imabikisou thing has me intrigued, even though there's no hope of localizing it for English-speaking markets. That and Let's Assassinate! of course.
azad_champ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 azad_champ
Member since 2005 • 3482 Posts

Wow no one cares for GoW 2 over there...dvader654

Kinda sad that the Japanese are refusing a game like GoW2. It's one of PS2's finest.

Iga_Bobovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Iga_Bobovic
Member since 2007 • 518 Posts

Is this the murder simulator Jack Thompson is always talking about?

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

It's just like the American market in this regard, really.

Look at the sales of the likes of something anything based on a popular franchise. Irrelevent of quality, a popular franchise is going to get high sales when a game is made based on that franchise (like, oh, Movie games, and Bulletproof). :P

Skylock00

Agreed, also remember Capcom said that they didn't push this game in either territory (from what I can remember). However on an upside it's sold barely under 30,000 copies in North America this week according to VGCharts (which I take for a grain of salt when number add up though).

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Wow no one cares for GoW 2 over there...Skylock00
I'm pretty sure they didn't do much promotion for it, or for the original GoW when they brought it over there (in fact, Sony didn't even bringthe original GoW to Japan. Capcom did the localization).

Pretty much, there aren't any Western publishers there at all (save EA who does a poor job), because they don't really care to garner an extra 150,000 sales when they have 5 million. So publishers like Capcom or Spike pick it up to release the games leaving them to their doom of failure since they don't get marketed. Though one must remember that Japan is smaller then America, so 17,000 copies translates to 42,500 when adjusted to population size, which is equal to the sales of Persona 3's first week here.

This is why even though Nintendo third party games rarely take the #1 spot on the charts, but the Japanese DS's third party sales of this year are only a few million away form the PS2's third party sales of 2004 (which it probably will meet or surpass it by the end of the year). Yes Playstation third party games peform far better then Nintendo third party in it's first week but it slides of the charts the second week and usually off by the third. Nintendo third party games though have big legs. Yes the games debut at #13 but they stay on the charts for weeks. It's why Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition didn't have a strong first week yet it is one it's way to sell 1 million copies.

P.S. I got the Third Party Yearly Sales from VGCharts.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

1) This is why even though Nintendo third party games rarely take the #1 spot on the charts, but the Japanese DS's third party sales of this year are only a few million away form the PS2's third party sales of 2004 (which it probably will meet or surpass it by the end of the year). 2) Yes Playstation third party games peform far better then Nintendo third party in it's first week but it slides of the charts the second week and usually off by the third. Nintendo third party games though have big legs. Yes the games debut at #13 but they stay on the charts for weeks. It's why Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition didn't have a strong first week yet it is one it's way to sell 1 million copies.

P.S. I got the Third Party Yearly Sales from VGCharts.

Gunraidan

1) Really? Would you mind linking to the charts in question? In light of your other claim, your ability to interpret data is in question.

However, its possible. Japan's market had been shrinking for years as gamers drifted away, so 2004 being a nadir makes sense. This generation Japanese game developers interested in making full games have turned more and more attention to the West and the X360, whose sales in Japan itself are negligible which is a big change in attitude from them, since most turned their backs on the Xbox.

2) Your second claim is incorrect and is demolished by both vgchartz and Capcom's own numbers. Capcom has stated that the bargain priced RE4 has shipped one million units globally (not a big deal on a system with an installed base of 13 million or so) and vgchartz states that RE4 sold only a little over 100K units in Japan. Of course, Of course, its possible that vgchartz is wrong...

http://wii.ign.com/articles/831/831328p1.html

The mid-year release has gone on to ship a million copies throughout the world,

http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=6163

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

1) Really? Would you mind linking to the charts in question? In light of your other claim, your ability to interpret data is in question.

However, its possible. Japan's market had been shrinking for years as gamers drifted away, so 2004 being a nadir makes sense. This generation Japanese game developers interested in making full games have turned more and more attention to the West and the X360, whose sales in Japan itself are negligible which is a big change in attitude from them, since most turned their backs on the Xbox.

2) Your second claim is incorrect and is demolished by both vgchartz and Capcom's own numbers. Capcom has stated that the bargain priced RE4 has shipped one million units globally (not a big deal on a system with an installed base of 13 million or so) and vgchartz states that RE4 sold only a little over 100K units in Japan. Of course, Of course, its possible that vgchartz is wrong...

http://wii.ign.com/articles/831/831328p1.html

The mid-year release has gone on to ship a million copies throughout the world,

http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=6163

CarnageHeart

1) Well I went to VGCharts yearly Japanese Sales., if you want to you could try this yourself by comparing the total software sales of the PS2 in 2004 with the DS as of current. Then go to the Totals toolbar under Japan and subtracted the first party sales out of each system. However you must remember to factor out the first party sales of the Wii for Nintendo and the first party sales of the PSP for SONY to get more accurate date, especially for Nintendo. If you do this there should only be around 4 million third party sales apart from one another. Come to think of it the DS may not surpass the PS2's third party software sales this year but at least come close it.

Also Japan's market has been doing anything but shrinking in the past few years.

The 2004 yearly hardware and software charts (link) and 2007 yearly hardware and software charts (link) disprove that. The year isn't even over and already this year drastically surpasses 2004 in terms of hardware and software sales. When people say those things they usually imply to the "gamer" market, which I agree with is near death and is now in niche in the land of the rising sun.

EDIT - Upon further thinking, I guess it is possible that there could've been more games released for the DS as of current then the PS2 in 2004. Which really isn't so farfetched since the cost to make a game between the two is so different. As for why Japanese publishers are worried about third party software sales in their country is because even in 2004 they were far lower then yester-years.

2) Resident Evil Wii Edition first week premiere was only 89,000 copies as this link shows. Looking the game Data Base the game has currently sold almost 450,000 units in America with total sales being 830,000 as this link shows. So according to VGCharts my Resident Evil 4 statement is correct due to it selling over 4 times at much in it's lifetime compared to it's first week and it's still on the charts after 19 weeks at number 44 selling 10,000 copies per week. Also I never stated that it sold one million but it's on it's way to one million with it still being on the charts and selling so close to a million before the Holiday season I wouldn't be surprised if it reaches that mark.

But still we must remember that this is VGcharts they aren't really the most reliable source. Especially since they underpredicted Prime 3's sales and overpredicted Eternal Sonata's sales in North America, and overpredicted Final Fantasy: Crisis Cores sales in Japan, I could find more examples but judging from your level and amount of posts I'm sure you yourself have also seen how inaccurate the site can be.