Max Payne 3 seems... disappointing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Foggel
Member since 2008 • 941 Posts

Max Payne is, in my eyes, supposed to be melancholic, freaky and dark. Not bright, bald and bearded and no coat...

This game will most likely be popular, but I think the fans will be disappointed.

I want this:

tolkki32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tolkki32
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I also don't like the idea that Max looks like some kind of bald rambo.
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
I also don't like the idea that Max looks like some kind of bald rambo. tolkki32
Rambo is buffed, not fat...
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

I feel ya. I don't mind him being an aged badass, but the setting and gameplay just look off.

whisperingmute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 whisperingmute
Member since 2006 • 1116 Posts

Max Payne is, in my eyes, supposed to be melancholic, freaky and dark. Not bright, bald and bearded and no coat...

This game will most likely be popular, but I think the fans will be disappointed.

I want this:

Foggel

I totally agree. Has a fan of both games, I've severly dissapointed with Rockstar's direction of the game.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

There are like five pictures and people are already saying the game is dissappointing...that is just sad.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Rockstar goes out of its way to avoid making the series redundant and this is the thanks they get.
musicXpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 musicXpirate
Member since 2005 • 3040 Posts

There are like five pictures and people are already saying the game is dissappointing...that is just sad.

rzepak
LessThanMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LessThanMike
Member since 2002 • 5364 Posts
[QUOTE="rzepak"]

musicXpirate

yeah i'm gonna give it a lil more time before i stamp it with the "hype killed it" stamp
RandolphScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#10 RandolphScott
Member since 2008 • 635 Posts
Rockstar goes out of its way to avoid making the series redundant and this is the thanks they get.UT_Wrestler
Fixing what isn't broken results in what wasn't broken being broken.
Anthony01355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Anthony01355
Member since 2006 • 1486 Posts

[QUOTE="Foggel"]

I totally agree. Has a fan of both games, I've severly dissapointed with Rockstar's direction of the game.

whisperingmute

[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]Rockstar goes out of its way to avoid making the series redundant and this is the thanks they get.RandolphScott

Akawoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Akawoa
Member since 2008 • 812 Posts

Anyone else think it looks like Stranglehold with a fatter protagonist?

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Rockstar goes out of its way to avoid making the series redundant and this is the thanks they get.UT_Wrestler

I thought Max Payne was a Remedy game?

If Rockstar is indeed developing this game then I still have faith in it. However, the screenshots and especially Max Payne's character design is absolute ****! This isn't Manhunt and at the risk of getting moderated I'll even say that Max Payne shouldn't look like a freaking terrorist. I'm all for taking the series to a new direction, but this is just absurd.

If they had released a trailer alongside the screenshots then maybe we could've seen what they're going for, but they didn't. Call it poor marketing or PR, but as of now judging from the screens, it looks really stupid.

Foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Foggel
[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]Rockstar goes out of its way to avoid making the series redundant and this is the thanks they get.RandolphScott

My thoughts exactly.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

It just looks like a mash up of other games. I'll wait and see how it ends up as Max Payne 2 is one my all time PC favorites but so far it isn't very inspiring. Alan Wake better be amazing because by now Remedy could have popped out the third chapter of Max Payne.

XanderKage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 XanderKage
Member since 2006 • 8956 Posts

Not here too... I'm running crazy on MP3 boards trying to defend the game..... If MP3 would remain the same, like the first 2 games, it wouldn't have any remote chance to top the first 2 games. So we'd get a decent, but eventually disappointing shooter, failing to reach the bar set by the first game. The change of style (which btw, is as drastic as it seems) gives it a good chance to succeed. Even if it costs some die hard noir fans.

John-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 John-08
Member since 2007 • 1113 Posts
i dont think its too early to say stuff like this, i mean you can see from the visuals straight away that the mood has changed the game looks like kayne and lynch rather than max payne. you can tell by the screenshots alone that they havent stuck to the originals style this is what most fans think it will be dissapointing by, but who knows if the gameplay will be good :/
zeeshan810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 zeeshan810
Member since 2005 • 438 Posts

I don't think its bad being an old man and being a killer at the same time. Rockstar Games wants to keep this game real, they don't want him to be still young. I think being old and bald makes this game BAD Ass -- This game looks really interesting, An old Bald Man shooting thugs. I really looking forward to this game.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

The overtly negative responses to the game are both premature and, in my opinion, largely unfounded. I guess what annoys me the most is that gamers say they want something new and thenwhine and moan when a developer tries to shake things up a bit.

Max Payne 2 was basically Max Payne 1 with Havok and better visuals so personally, I'm up for something a bit more fresh. People keep acting as if the story and aesthetics of Max Payne are remarkable when in reality they are lifted from various sources, most notably Garth Ennis' Punisher Max run.

Lastly, we don't know what the other settings of the game actually are so again, all of this talk of disappointment is premature. Perhaps if people could reserve judgment until, you know, they actually play the game, some of these insipid "discussions" wouldn't arise.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#20 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

If anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt, it's Rockstar. Max Payne 3 won't be what it would've been if Remedy was developing it, but Rockstar will make a great game following their own vision. This is the team that produced Bully with other Rockstar studios contributing (a proven Rockstar practice) and I expect nothing short of greatness.

Mr_Fujiv1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 256

#21 Mr_Fujiv1
Member since 2008 • 4437 Posts
Im still going to get it but this dosn't remind me of the first Max Payne, that was soo good!
zeeshan810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 zeeshan810
Member since 2005 • 438 Posts

Rockstar Games makes great games, also they are using Rage. (used in GTA IV, Midnight Club LA, and Table Tennis)

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I like this picture when he's shooting an AC Milan fan :lol:

Foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Foggel

I guess what annoys me the most is that gamers say they want something new and thenwhine and moan when a developer tries to shake things up a bit.Grammaton-Cleric

I would like to add that I've never said this about Max Payne 3.
The reason I was looking forward to MP3 was because I loved 1 & 2, not because I want something entirely new, which wouldn't make sense.

My guess is that it will be like Farcry 1 and 2. I don't understand why the sequel is called farcry, in terms of story atleast.
It's like they used that name to sell more... perhaps like Max Payne 3, but that would be too early to say. Max Payne is supposed to be noir, in my eyes.

Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mash_Affect
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts

The overtly negative responses to the game are both premature and, in my opinion, largely unfounded. I guess what annoys me the most is that gamers say they want something new and thenwhine and moan when a developer tries to shake things up a bit.

Max Payne 2 was basically Max Payne 1 with Havok and better visuals so personally, I'm up for something a bit more fresh. People keep acting as if the story and aesthetics of Max Payne are remarkable when in reality they are lifted from various sources, most notably Garth Ennis' Punisher Max run.

Lastly, we don't know what the other settings of the game actually are so again, all of this talk of disappointment is premature. Perhaps if people could reserve judgment until, you know, they actually play the game, some of these insipid "discussions" wouldn't arise.

Grammaton-Cleric

Saying the game will bepoor is premature, but thinking that this shouldn't be a Max Payne game is not necessarily unfounded.

Ironserpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Ironserpent
Member since 2008 • 646 Posts

I agree. Not what I was expecting at all...

Just a thought though, has anyone else noticed that Rockstar seems to like their protagonists bald or nearly bald? First the kid from Bully, then Niko Bellic, and and now Max Payne has the cut... I'm not complaining, I'm just stating an observation.

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
Pretty much expected something completely different like this. Different high-profile dev = different take. Bully was a great game, so I have faith that it'll be fun. Look on the plus side: you'll still have Alan Wake.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
I also don't like the idea that Max looks like some kind of bald rambo. tolkki32
I agree, not really feeling the look, why did they change it? bad idea imo.
chronofreak69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 chronofreak69
Member since 2009 • 141 Posts
Yeah and its set like in Puerto Rico now or something? No...the thing that made it so interesting to me was that it was in a Dark,Gritty,New York and now its in a Jungle environment thats a warzone, screw that, this is no setting for a deep, compelling story just another 3rd person shooter with slo-mo
Avatar image for icedfacekilla57
icedfacekilla57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 icedfacekilla57
Member since 2007 • 601 Posts

I could rant on about how rockstar is creating this game to support this setting and it's backdrop, but i'm too tired to argue on a forum where clearly most of the people here havent read any previews on it.

Basically, sure, max payne is different, but they are bringing an immense amount of detail, to not only bullet time and beefy physics that surpass that of GTA4 using the euphoria engine, (yes i know it was the same one used) as well as bringing us a side of max that has been affect by the environment of the ghettos of south america. Its still going to be a gritty "noir" story, just without all the rain, all the new york cliche stuff and giving us a much more dangerous setting. The problem with most people is that they dont like change, but to me, its max payne, its bullet time, its gritty story with awesome narritive and its different than what we've seen.

they wouldnt change it for nothing. wait for gameplay videos, some of you are so quick to judge a couple of screenshots, why dont you actually try and see what the game is like before jumping to a "jungle warzone" conclusion.