Manhunt 2 hands on - Comparison of AO version and M version

• 136 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

IGN Article

While this doesn't really exactly point out what caused the game to be rated AO in the first place, some of the omissions from the new versions give hints that the main content that caused the game to be rated as such simply stemmed moreso from the violence than anything else. Here are some main points in the article regarding omissions:

"But there have been some unfortunate content omissions, too. When we first wrote about Manhunt 2, we referenced a particularly nasty death sequence, in which Danny could use a pair of pliers to literally *Spoiler tag added due to nature of the act mentioned*

[spoiler] rip the testicles off a hunter. [/spoiler]

That murder has been completed removed from the updated build of the game."

"The biggest and most disappointing change relates to the major death strikes...in the AO-rated build of Manhunt 2, we could clearly see these over-the-top and horrific animations. In the M-rated version, Rockstar has added both an extreme blur effect and in most cases darkened the graphics so that it is nearly impossible to make any sense of what is going on. Players will be able to see character movement, blood splatters, and sometimes they may catch a glimpse of an identifiable action (for example, Danny jamming nails into the legs of a chair-bound opponent), but mostly it's guesswork - a garbled, motiony mess that's far less satisfying. This truth is doubly unfortunate because both everything else is unchanged and because these death strikes are what gamers will want to work toward; they're the pay off for a job well done, but now the pay off is not nearly as rewarding.

Our reactions to these maneuvers really speak volumes. The first time we played Manhunt 2...Onlookers were crying out and laughing and several people were in awe of the game's brutality. But with the updated build, we couldn't fully identify what was going on. We could see movement and hear disgusting noises, but if Rockstar had told us Danny had just decapitated a hunter or strangled him instead, we'd have to take its word for it. Not to suggest that these sequences are completely ruined - they aren't. They're still fun to perform and some of the animations - especially when they're in well-lit rooms where more of the movement can be recognized - are still satisfying and entertaining. "

Unless there's other points that have been dealt with, it seems the main point of issue might've been the violence in the first place.

What are some of your feelings regarding how the game has been altered? It seems the core gameplay and content is mostly all there, and all that has been done is a few removed murders, as well as effects placed to obscure other ones.

KingKoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 KingKoop
Member since 2005 • 4268 Posts

Ok that death sounds sore....

I think even with the violence toned down now it'll still be a brutal game and keep all the core factors that make it "Manhunt" although loosing some of the violence sucks. I really want my hands on this game whether it's the omitted version or what not, mainly for the gameplay and storyline (not so much the violence) but the violene added to the feel of it.

But I live in Scotland so whether I'll get to see it here or not remains taboo for the time being, unless I can import a dutch copy or something.

Greyhound222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Greyhound222
Member since 2005 • 2899 Posts
Weird.I wasn't expecting that to happen.
dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts

Hopefullyit's time to import the uncut version.

Anabub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Anabub
Member since 2006 • 8316 Posts
I for one am hoping the free thinking Dutch will release the uncut version for us all to import ...
Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts
Disappointing that these changes were forced upon Rockstar. Nevertheless, I'm sure it'll still be a pretty bloody graphic game.
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#7 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts
Irrrgh...sound a bit like the german MK: Shaolin Monks-Version...the finish-moves had been ripped...the screen just turned black.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts
Oh for ***** sake.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gaminggeek

Pics

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Its high idiocy that the ESRB hit Manhunt with anAO given that movies like Saw received Rs. As I've said before, I never played the original Manhunt and never wanted to (the developers spent more time talking up the death sequences than anything else) and my interest in Manhunt 2 was minimal (heck, the principle platform is the Wii), but its the principle of the thing.

As a guy who enjoys M-rated games, its quite possible such a policy will eventually impact a game I am interested in. Even toned down it sounds likeManhunt 2is wildly inappropriate for kids, so why tone it down? The ESRB's actions seem analogous to the editing that the MPAA forced upon the original Robocop (the scene where the malfunctioning ED-209 machine gunned down the executive had to have several seconds chopped, though Robocop was still a very gory movie).

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts
This sucks no end. The man has won.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#12 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

(heck, the principle platform is the Wii)CarnageHeart

I just wanted to point out that the PS2 was the primary platform, the game was developed by Rockstar London with significant input from Rockstar North while Rockstar Toronto handled the Wii version.

On topic - this is bull****. Content was indeed removed and altered as the execution sequences are a very important part of the Manhunt experience. Considering that you could chop off a hunter's testicles with a sickle in the original, it's very clear that the ESRB is acting only out of fear of backlash and is imposing its own "values" on the rest of us. This is extremely dangerous, this isn't just about Manhunt 2, this will affect other games as well. I can only hope that an uncesored version gets released in Europe and an uncensored PC version everywhere.

Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts
If it comes to the PC it will have all the content available whether or not it's released that way. Someone will make a mod/patch. Hurray PC gaming!!
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gaminggeek
I just popped back in to point out that Bozon from IGN on the boards said that now, Manhunt 1 is more violent than the sequel. Ugh.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Skylock00

I just popped back in to point out that Bozon from IGN on the boards said that now, Manhunt 1 is more violent than the sequel. Ugh. gaminggeek
Which is a real drag. I would've been content with MH2 being as violent as the original. It'd be nice if there was some way we could see these differences in video form, but I'll doubt that'll happen, personally.

My issue this whole time has not as much been that the game was given an AO rating, but what was the ESRB's justification for it...and if it's more or less that the game is maintaining status quo, this is a real step backwards for things.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#16 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

I wish local stores like Gamestop and Best Buy can sell AO rate games.

Or just Unrated games. They sell unrated movies, why not games?

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Skylock00

TriangleHard

That's not the problem, at it's core, in this regard.

No console manufacturer will even license AO games to be published on their systems, meaning that if a console game developer gets an AO rating, their game is de facto banned from the get go.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

Bad news indeed. Not really because of how much the game's content had to be altered, but instead because of the fact that its content had to be altered in the first place.

Welcome to 1984, guys.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts
I never played the first Manhunt, so I'm not sure how big a deal these deaths are. But if they're a payoff for doing certain things and playing a certain way, than these omisions are huge. Who wants to bust their butt playing through something and then not be rewarded?
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TriangleHard
[QUOTE="TriangleHard"]

Skylock00

That's not the problem, at it's core, in this regard.

No console manufacturer will even license AO games to be published on their systems, meaning that if a console game developer gets an AO rating, their game is de facto banned from the get go.

Well they should.

they make systems with parental control, what really is the problem?

MurderToe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MurderToe
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Yay, when I'm 35 and still playing games I can safely know that people in suits out there will still treat me like I'm 7 and still decide what I can and cannot handle in a video game.

Bluring the images to where you can barely recognize what they are is just stupid. It just makes the game seem pointless now. Let's face it, the system used of for espionage in the first Manhunt wasn't that challenging. Just stand in one dark corner, tap on the wall, wait for the guy to stop searching and turn around, kill him, repeat. You want good espionage then you go play something like Metal Gear or Splinter Cell, but what we came for Manhunt is the gore. At first it seemed like the second installment was here to deliver the gore, but over time we get blurry and dark effects to put it's stink on the brutality.

Solid_Snake_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Solid_Snake_7
Member since 2004 • 3398 Posts

Its high idiocy that the ESRB hit Manhunt with anAO given that movies like Saw received Rs.

CarnageHeart
Well, in my opinion you can't really compare games to movies. When you're playing a game you're in control of your character and you make him do stuff. In a movie you watch someone else do the same stuff. It's not really the same. By the way, i find it surprising how many of you back up these kind of games. I'm no Jack Thompson but my appetite for violence in videogames has a limit, and games like Manhunt are way beyond that limit.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TriangleHard

This is all just matter of respect.

If games were respected as medium of expression like movies, we wouldn't have problem such as this.

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts
[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

Its high idiocy that the ESRB hit Manhunt with anAO given that movies like Saw received Rs.

Solid_Snake_7

Well, in my opinion you can't really compare games to movies. When you're playing a game you're in control of your character and you make him do stuff. In a movie you watch someone else do the same stuff. It's not really the same. By the way, i find it surprising how many of you back up these kind of games. I'm no Jack Thompson but my appetite for violence in videogames has a limit, and games like Manhunt are way beyond that limit.

This is about freedom of speech and freedom of expression. The game is clearly directed towards adults who can either a) handle it, or b) choose they don't like it and don't buy it.

You don't need the nanny state or the big brother to tell you what you should or shouldn't play, or what should be contained in your games.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

Well, in my opinion you can't really compare games to movies. When you're playing a game you're in control of your character and you make him do stuff. In a movie you watch someone else do the same stuff. It's not really the same.

By the way, i find it surprising how many of you back up these kind of games. I'm no Jack Thompson but my appetite for violence in videogames has a limit, and games like Manhunt are way beyond that limit.Solid_Snake_7

I will never understand the argument of watching vs. doing. Yes, they're two different actions, but your exposure to the violent act is still the same.

As far as backing that type of game, why not? There are movies and books that are as or more violent.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gaminggeek
[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

Solid_Snake_7

Recent research by the British Board of Film Clas-ssification has shown that interactivity actually lessens the impact of any perceived violence. Also, violence in films is photo-realistic, gaming either looks toon like or plastic like in visual terms. Either way, double standards exist for videogames and that's not right.

Solid_Snake_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Solid_Snake_7
[QUOTE="Solid_Snake_7"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

bugsonglass

This is about freedom of speech and freedom of expression. The game is clearly directed towards adults who can either a) handle it, or b) choose they don't like it and don't buy it.

If it were that simple. But do you think for one minute that Rockstar makes these games with adults being the target audience? No they don't. They KNOW that law that prevents minors from buying these types of games is a joke and they will end up buying them anyway, therefor exposing them to brutalities like this one:
"Considering that you could chop off a hunter's testicles with a sickle in the original..."UpInFlames
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Wow... I have just lost a loooot of intrest in one of my most anticipated titles for the year. Its not that im so in love with the gore that I have to have it.... but its just what makes Manhunt....well Manhunt. The execution sequences in the first one are both thrilling and scary.. now it sounds lame if you cant even make out whats going on and its all censored... why have them at all then? It seriously takes away your reward for being stealthy and a good player. Now I may as well forget about the stealth. WTF is wrong with this industry, it seriously needs to grow up or its gonna burn out and fail. This is a gigantic ****load of ****
Solid_Snake_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Solid_Snake_7
[QUOTE="Solid_Snake_7"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

gaminggeek

Recent research by the British Board of Film Clas-ssification has shown that interactivity actually lessens the impact of any perceived violence. Also, violence in films is photo-realistic, gaming either looks toon like or plastic like in visual terms. Either way, double standards exist for videogames and that's not right.

Well, i have to respect that because they actually do research and i don't, but still i find it hard to believe.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Skylock00
If it were that simple. But do you think for one minute that Rockstar makes these games with adults being the target audience? No they don't.Solid_Snake_7
Um...yes they do. That's kind of what they've been doing with various games. The target audience is adults over the the age of 18, not teens. Furthermore, stores are cracking down more on selling M rated games to minors, but even then...that isn't Rockstar's concern at all if they want to make a game /for/ adults.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 UpInFlames

I never played the first Manhunt, so I'm not sure how big a deal these deaths are. But if they're a payoff for doing certain things and playing a certain way, than these omisions are huge. Who wants to bust their butt playing through something and then not be rewarded?Grieverr

In the original, the riskier you played, the more grousome the executions were. So yeah, the pay-off is basically gone now. Or at least, severely lessened.

If it were that simple. But do you think for one minute that Rockstar makes these games with adults being the target audience? No they don't. They KNOW that law that prevents minors from buying these types of games is a joke and they will end up buying them anyway, therefor exposing them to brutalities.Solid_Snake_7

Rockstar indeed makes games for adults (which is apparant by looking at their portfolio) - why is that so hard to believe? Minors getting their hands on their games isn't really Rockstar's problem at all. But what are you really saying? That adults should be deprived of content made for them because children might get their hands on them?

Solid_Snake_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Solid_Snake_7
[QUOTE="Solid_Snake_7"] If it were that simple. But do you think for one minute that Rockstar makes these games with adults being the target audience? No they don't.Skylock00
Um...yes they do. That's kind of what they've been doing with various games. The target audience is adults over the the age of 18, not teens. Furthermore, stores are cracking down more on selling M rated games to minors, but even then...that isn't Rockstar's concern at all if they want to make a game /for/ adults.

Just like GTA? Uhm, no. But we could argue all day long back and forth and probably will never be on the same page so i'll stop here. Be it for adults or minors, there's no need for such violent games to be on the market, that was all i was trying to say from the beginning. Most of you will disagree with me, and that's fine, it's just an opinion.
Solid_Snake_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Solid_Snake_7
Rockstar indeed makes games for adults (which is apparant by looking at their portfolio) - why is that so hard to believe? Minors getting their hands on their games isn't really Rockstar's problem at all. But what are you really saying? That adults should be deprived of content made for them because children might get their hands on them?UpInFlames
That is not what i meant. In paper, i know Rockstar makes game for adults because the majority of their titles are rated M. I was just saying that i believe they make these games knowing a lot of the people (if not the majority) that will buy them are minors. But that's just me speculating, i have no facts except for the one that no good can come out of something that evil. That's all.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]Rockstar indeed makes games for adults (which is apparant by looking at their portfolio) - why is that so hard to believe? Minors getting their hands on their games isn't really Rockstar's problem at all. But what are you really saying? That adults should be deprived of content made for them because children might get their hands on them?Solid_Snake_7
That is not what i meant. In paper, i know Rockstar makes game for adults because the majority of their titles are rated M. I was just saying that i believe they make these games knowing a lot of the people (if not the majority) that will buy them are minors. But that's just me speculating, i have no facts except for the one that no good can come out of something that evil. That's all.

I find this utterly hilariously, judging by your taste of games from your xbox sig there I see gears of war... hmm thats an m rated game. With a lot of graphic violence. Is it evil too? Or not so much because it isnt made by rockstar? The entertainment industry is here to entertain, to all demographics and people. Kids get their games, teens get a lot for them too what about us older folks who are horror fans or whatnot? Should we not get to experience adult oriented games because kids might play them? You could apply the same thing to movies, music and even books which just makes the whole argument fall apart.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 UpInFlames

But that's just me speculating, i have no facts except for the one that no good can come out of something that evil. That's all.Solid_Snake_7

Yeah, censorship is fine and good as long as it's something not suited for your tastes. What if a day comes when a small group of people decide that extreme violence and sexual content is a-ok, but decide to ban something to your liking? Something tells me you'd be singing a different tune then.

ymi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ymi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3685 Posts
[QUOTE="Solid_Snake_7"] If it were that simple. But do you think for one minute that Rockstar makes these games with adults being the target audience? No they don't.Skylock00

Right. And the cigarette industry doesn't want minors to smoke.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 UpInFlames

Right. And the cigarette industry doesn't want minors to smoke.ymi_basic

Great example. One is a toxin that is proven to cause physical addiction and fatal diseases, and the other - a form of entertainment. What is worse, the latter is getting banned, not the former.

Nobody here can know what goes on in Rockstar exec's minds, but the fact is, they create games for a mature audience. Are they bothered with the fact that minors play them? Probably not. Should they be? Not really. The question is are these games directly marketed towards minors? I don't see any evidence to support that notion.

MurderToe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MurderToe
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Here is a prime example of people deciding for themselves whether or not the content in a game is something they can handle or not. Solid_Snake_07 has decided that Manhunt 2 has reached limits that he founds inappropriate, however on the other hand UpInFlames and GodModeEnable have decide the game suits them just fine. This means that Solid_Snake_7 will not purchase the game and UpInFlames and GodModeEnable will buy it. If only Sony, Nintendo, Gamestop, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, K-Mart, FYE, EB Games, and Congress could recognize that adults are capable of making their own decisions (I'm assuming you three are all adults) this wouldn't be such a hassle. We don't need to be parented by these companies and these people. Just because there are parents out there that fail at their responsibility to monitor what their kids are buying shouldn't be affecting me. I don't want to be punished for other people's incompetence.

And what is so evil about a video game with violence? That's not blood we are seeing, that's red. Anybody who gets enjoyment from killing things in video games is not a pyscho if they can comprehend that what is going on isn't real and that it is all fantasy. The crazy ones are the ones who don't see the boundary between fantasy and reality.

Give me a Manhunt 2 in it's AO form, I can take it. I don't need to have some blurry,dark M-rated version. I'm pretty sure if I was going to watch a football game I would like to see what is going on. I don't need somebody coming up and macing me in the eyes right before the game started so everything looked like a smudge, the game just wouldn't be the same.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

Here is a prime example of people deciding for themselves whether or not the content in a game is something they can handle or not. Solid_Snake_07 has decided that Manhunt 2 has reached limits that he founds inappropriate, however on the other hand UpInFlames and GodModeEnable have decide the game suits them just fine. This means that Solid_Snake_7 will not purchase the game and UpInFlames and GodModeEnable will buy it. If only Sony, Nintendo, Gamestop, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, K-Mart, FYE, EB Games, and Congress could recognize that adults are capable of making their own decisions (I'm assuming you three are all adults) this wouldn't be such a hassle. We don't need to be parented by these companies and these people. Just because there are parents out there that fail at their responsibility to monitor what their kids are buying shouldn't be affecting me. I don't want to be punished for other people's incompetence.

And what is so evil about a video game with violence? That's not blood we are seeing, that's red. Anybody who gets enjoyment from killing things in video games is not a pyscho if they can comprehend that what is going on isn't real and that it is all fantasy. The crazy ones are the ones who don't see the boundary between fantasy and reality.

Give me a Manhunt 2 in it's AO form, I can take it. I don't need to have some blurry,dark M-rated version. I'm pretty sure if I was going to watch a football game I would like to see what is going on. I don't need somebody coming up and macing me in the eyes right before the game started so everything looked like a smudge, the game just wouldn't be the same.

MurderToe

iGood post. And If EA made a blind football game, I would probably buy it.

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
[QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="Solid_Snake_7"] If it were that simple. But do you think for one minute that Rockstar makes these games with adults being the target audience? No they don't.ymi_basic

You shouldn't really confuse the two. A select few cigarette companies hold a monopoly on tabbaco. For them to focus their entire product on children such that they grow into this habit, into their adult lives, is a sound move on their part (baring the ethical/legal side of things).

A company like Rockstar however does not hold anywhere near that kind of share on any market, and for them to 'hook children' into their games at an early age does not yield as much of a gain for them in the very long term, comparitively to tabbaco companies. Yes, it does help them when children buy it, money is money, but at no point have we ever seen their M rated games marketed towards young adults. While the tabbaco company clearly did.

If anything, AO games should be sold like porn. No commercials allowed on TV, and you have to buy them online or at a specialty store, or simply require the same process for buying porn at stores. Better yet, require each individual gamestop and the like to be licenced to carry AO games, so that they know how to handle it. Instead of allowing such games from being sold at Toys'r'us with parents accidently picking them up. However, they should by no means be bared for whatever reason. I think the fact of the matter is, game distributors and retailers are the reason this is even happening in the first place -- their failure to stop kids from buying it is the real problem.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Skylock00
[QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="Solid_Snake_7"] If it were that simple. But do you think for one minute that Rockstar makes these games with adults being the target audience? No they don't.ymi_basic

How is that related at all to what I'm saying? The stance I have is that the target audience of some of Rockstar's games, like GTA and Manhunt, is adults. If you can show me one shread of evidence that proves that their target audience for those games are minors, then you can have a case, but this counter doesn't do anything at all.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Skylock00
Just like GTA? Uhm, no. But we could argue all day long back and forth and probably will never be on the same page so i'll stop here. Be it for adults or minors, there's no need for such violent games to be on the market, that was all i was trying to say from the beginning. Most of you will disagree with me, and that's fine, it's just an opinion.Solid_Snake_7
Show me anything that demonstrates to some reasonable level that GTA and Manhunt are targetted primary to minors, and we'll be able to talk about this. Otherwise, you have no case aside from your own biases and pre-concieved notions about things, which is a stance not really worth arguing with.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I don't know that I'm necessarily going to miss being able to do a nadality, but I think it's a dangerous precedent that is being set here.

A game's M equivalent should be no more or less than a movie's, and the argument that children still want to play them is moot -- they want to listen to 2 Live Crew records and watch movies like Saw and Hostel as well, and I would argue that they have just as much (if not more) access to a CD player or a DVD player than they do a game console. This argument that games are targeted towards kids is absurd seeing as nearly EVERY single home in America has a DVD player and a CD player, and those forms of media run about a sixth as much as a video game.

Violent media is violent media. Content is content. Mouthbreathing idiots will allow their kids to consume it, whether it be in the form of a movie, a game or a CD. Treating one form of media like it's somehow held to a higher standard is grossly negligent. The ratings are in place and the retailers are starting to enforce them (I saw a kid get nailed trying to buy RE4 for the Wii at an EB in Fashion Valley mallwhile in San Diego a few weeks back, just to name one). Leave the content the **** alone. Go save some other part of the world. Feed hungry people. Save a rainforest. Rally against carcinogens polluting the atmosphere.

Sanitizing content is not the answer. Personal accountability is. And that's where I diverge from a lot of people regarding Shwarzenegger's recent game outburst -- I agree with him that it should be against the law to sell M-rated media to kids. We do it with smokes. We do it with booze. We do it with porn. Do it with games as well, and add some personal accountability to the people selling the material. The problem with that, is that then you get the government involved, and history has proven time and again that if you really want to make a cluster-screw out of a situation, you need only get the United States government involved.

There are no easy answers, other than people being held accountable for their actions. If you give your kid $60 and just let him go to a game store and buy whatever he/she wants without even inspecting and taking a hands-on approach, then you're an unfit parent. If you're a game store clerk and some little bucktooth bubblegummer rolls into the store and asks for a copy of Manhunt 2 and you sell it to him without asking to see ID, then you're an unfit store clerk and should be fired so they can replace you with someone who is fit. The problem here is that we've got crappy parents having crappy kids with the expectation that society is somehow responsible for raising them, and then we've got dolts (or have in the past) working behind the register in game stores who either don't care or don't understand the severity of selling mature content to kid.

Solid_Snake_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Solid_Snake_7
I find this utterly hilariously, judging by your taste of games from your xbox sig there I see gears of war... hmm thats an m rated game. With a lot of graphic violence. Is it evil too? Or not so much because it isnt made by rockstar?GodModeEnabled
And you're assuming that i play Gears Of War with extreme content turned on why? Because i don't. And i believe there isn't an option in Manhunt 1 to turn off extreme content so that when you chop off you know what from a guy, little shinning stars and sparkles cover the two parts that come flying.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]I find this utterly hilariously, judging by your taste of games from your xbox sig there I see gears of war... hmm thats an m rated game. With a lot of graphic violence. Is it evil too? Or not so much because it isnt made by rockstar?Solid_Snake_7
And you're assuming that i play Gears Of War with extreme content turned on why? Because i don't. And i believe there isn't an option in Manhunt 1 to turn off extreme content so that when you chop off you know what from a guy, little shinning stars and sparkles cover the two parts that come flying.

It's still extremely violent.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Skylock00

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]I find this utterly hilariously, judging by your taste of games from your xbox sig there I see gears of war... hmm thats an m rated game. With a lot of graphic violence. Is it evil too? Or not so much because it isnt made by rockstar?Solid_Snake_7

Um, there wasn't an option to do that action in Manhunt 1, IIRC, and in leaked videos of executions in Manhunt 2 that I saw, you would never actually see the action in the kind of detail that you are implying. Normally, right before the action would occur, the camera would cut to a slightly different angle to obscure the real minute details of what was going on.

In a sense, the game wasn't showing anything much more extreme than you'd find in many horror/torture focused films, and in some cases, it wasn't even CLOSE to that.

Regardless, the point is that like Gears of War, Manhunt and its sequel are games that were targetted for, and made for, adult/mature audiences, not minors, and restricting the availability of either game because of the fact that some minors get their hands on copies in one way or another isn't a problem that stems from Rockstar, or any other developer/publisher, but, as Shame-Us indicated, problems relating to parents and retail workers.

Solid_Snake_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Solid_Snake_7
[QUOTE="Solid_Snake_7"]Just like GTA? Uhm, no. But we could argue all day long back and forth and probably will never be on the same page so i'll stop here. Be it for adults or minors, there's no need for such violent games to be on the market, that was all i was trying to say from the beginning. Most of you will disagree with me, and that's fine, it's just an opinion.Skylock00
Show me anything that demonstrates to some reasonable level that GTA and Manhunt are targetted primary to minors, and we'll be able to talk about this. Otherwise, you have no case aside from your own biases and pre-concieved notions about things, which is a stance not really worth arguing with.

Show me anything that demonstrates otherwise. The M on the cover? Give me a break. What i'm saying, i'm saying it based in what i see or hear because i'm no researcher as i pointed out already. If you take Halo 2 for example, which was one of the most popular games ever to come out and rated Mature, you'll understand my point. You just had to pop in the game and play a match on Xbox Live at 3:00 PM to see the huge amount of minors (could tell by their voices) playing the game. My point you say? As i stated before, the law that prevents them from buying these games is a joke because they get their hands on them and the same can happen with Manhunt. It's funny that you write to me as if you're up there and i'm down here. I myself said that it was just an opinion and that i had no facts. You have your point of view and i respect that.
Solid_Snake_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Solid_Snake_7
This a little pharagraph from Kasavin's review of Manhunt: "The stylish, gory presentation of these sequences, combined with Manhunt's surprising assortment of weapons and three executions per weapon, means that you won't grow tired of seeing these despicable acts performed frequently throughout the game (that is, if you can stomach them in the first place)" This isn't just violence and you can't compare it to other violent games because the main point in Manhunt is apparently to execute your foes in the nastiest way possible
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Skylock00

Show me anything that demonstrates otherwise. The M on the cover? Give me a break. What i'm saying, i'm saying it based in what i see or hear because i'm no researcher as i pointed out already. If you take Halo 2 for example, which was one of the most popular games ever to come out and rated Mature, you'll understand my point. You just had to pop in the game and play a match on Xbox Live at 3:00 PM to see the huge amount of minors (could tell by their voices) playing the game. My point you say? As i stated before, the law that prevents them from buying these games is a joke because they get their hands on them and the same can happen with Manhunt. It's funny that you write to me as if you're up there and i'm down here. I myself said that it was just an opinion and that i had no facts. You have your point of view and i respect that.Solid_Snake_7
You were the first one to make the claim that the games were targetted to minors, the burden of proof is on you if you wanted to pass it off as any sort of factual truth, which, even though you went back to say it was just an opinion, is exactly what you were trying to pul initially:

do you think for one minute that Rockstar makes these games with adults being the target audience? No they don't.

You and others are trying to make proof of what the intent of the company is, and using evidence like who owns the games in the end as if that has anything to do with it...but it doesn't. You can't retroactively use sales of something to prove the circumstances of those sales.

If tons kids are still getting the games, that's not the fault of the developers and publishers, but of people allowing the kids to get the games, like parents and retail workers not doing what they're supposed to. That is irrelevent to what Rockstar's target audience for a game like Manhunt is.

The basis for my argument about the target audience is derived from the kind of content they develop for the game, other media forms and such that it derives from, the sorts of audiences those media forms were targetted to (primary through the kind of advertising done for them), and the such. If a product is advertised on TV, for example, during programming that the key demographic is males from 18-27 (or something), that game is being targetted to that audience, not minors. If the same product was being advertised during programming that the key demographic was below 18, then it could be claimmed that the product is being targetted to minors.

That's the kind of stuff I'm deriving my stance from.