Majora's Mask vs. Lightning Returns?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
deactivated-5938196c2bbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
Member since 2013 • 344 Posts

Both feature an in-game clock counting down to the end of the world and both features you trying to prevent that. The question is: which one of these two games did it right?

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

I personally prefer MM's handling of the whole limited time/end of the world thing simply because you can go back and reset the "timer" which then makes it a non-issue. LR has a sense of urgency to it which forces you to consider how to better spend your time.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#3 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

@crimsonbrute: yeah that is pretty much it, you feel a little rushed in LR and you can't finish the game in the original 13 days as you aren't strong enough to do so.

Personnaly I did prefer LR

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

majoras mask.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

One is regarded as one of the greatest games ever, while the other one of the worst ever.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

A time limit in an open world RPG is nonsensical. I my opinion it's a smudge of bad game design on otherwise great games: I hated the idea in Fallout 1, hated it in Majora's Mask, and I am sure I would hate it in FFXIII/3, not that I'm in any rush to ever play it.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

@Black_Knight_00: To be fair, Majora's Mask has one of the cleverest implementations of a time limit that I've ever seen in a game.

You start the game with this initial shock of only having three days, and your natural response is to slow things down as much as possible. Once you get over the fear of the end of the world though, and once your skillset expands and new shortcuts become available to you...you literally do master time itself, gleeing skipping forward through the days and speeding things along as much as possible. That transition from victim to master is one of the many reasons why the game is a masterpiece.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@Planeforger said:

@Black_Knight_00: To be fair, Majora's Mask has one of the cleverest implementations of a time limit that I've ever seen in a game.

You start the game with this initial shock of only having three days, and your natural response is to slow things down as much as possible. Once you get over the fear of the end of the world though, and once your skillset expands and new shortcuts become available to you...you literally do master time itself, gleeing skipping forward through the days and speeding things along as much as possible. That transition from victim to master is one of the many reasons why the game is a masterpiece.

Right, and conceptually I can agree, but as a game mechanic I think it actually works against the drive to explore the world. One could argue that the 162 minutes you get after receiving the time inversion song are more than enough to go out and do anything you need to, and that's true, but i personally always found time limits disrupt my fun. I like to take my time in every game and feel no pressure whatsoever to be where the game wants me to be. That's the essence of open world for how i play games, and a ticking clock just breaks it for me.