Losing faith in Developers and Publishers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

downnice95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 downnice95
Member since 2013 • 152 Posts
Are there any companies you trust? I think it is safe to say most of us spent thousands of dollars on this industry. And what have they done to us? They give us Always online, blocking out content on disc, possibly blocking out used games, and no backwards compatibly (Confirmed for PS3) I feel this disrespect we get is sad and we have to do something. They screw us and we take it. If this continues I know I will not continue to support this industry. Also to add the sprinkle on top the Media bashes us to death and the Politicians trying to violate our rights. We have to stand together and save the industry because EA, Activision, etc.................. Screw us and will not support us when the media calls us killers etc.....
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

If I am losing faith in any part of gaming then I would say I am losing faith in gamers. It is sad when a "game" with very poor game play get game of the year by many. Worse, it seem many gamers are overlooking harm to game play just because the game has a interactive story.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Are there any companies you trust? I think it is safe to say most of us spent thousands of dollars on this industry. And what have they done to us? They give us Always online, blocking out content on disc, possibly blocking out used games, and no backwards compatibly (Confirmed for PS3) I feel this disrespect we get is sad and we have to do something. They screw us and we take it. If this continues I know I will not continue to support this industry. Also to add the sprinkle on top the Media bashes us to death and the Politicians trying to violate our rights. We have to stand together and save the industry because EA, Activision, etc.................. Screw us and will not support us when the media calls us killers etc..... downnice95
I feel sorry for you friend. You are judging the whole industry by EA and Activision which are in my opinion the two worst game publishers. Konami, Bethesda, Codemasters, THQ, Rockstar, 2K and so many other companies are doing a not so bad job

downnice95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 downnice95
Member since 2013 • 152 Posts
I understand that not all of jerks but look at the culture of gaming. The norm is starting to become Online passes, Always online and lock content. I mean look at EA doing this garbage and others beginning to follow suit. We need to hold these companies accountable because you know EA and others are screwing us. Rockstar and Bethesda are being good but look at Square, they make good games but they still lose money.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#5 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

thq is gone , but ya , i hate ea more then i do activision activision does handle the 007 and nascar titles ,  i dont mind those       , its call of duty and those history channel war games that tick me off , they come every year ,  its just boring to play the same type of game over and over again ,  

then there is that cabelas game , omg  why would i want a game with low action ,  

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

There's WAY more to gaming than the big guys like EA and Acti.  Explore around, don't just eat up what the multimillion dollar advertisers feed you

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

There's WAY more to gaming than the big guys like EA and Acti.  Explore around, don't just eat up what the multimillion dollar advertisers feed you

wis3boi

Yea, also eat up the lies and misdirection the smaller companies feed you.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wiouds

Lol, its amazing how much this makes sense to me.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#9 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wiouds

Lies and Misdirection? Like what?

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Not so much "losing faith" but I can say that Mass Effect went from being my favorite franchise of this gen to being completely burned by it. I'm still willing to give Dragon Age 3 a host though.

Ubisoft burnt me out with all the Assassin's Creed games, so now I no long have a urge to go out and buy them either.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

this thread again.

Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts
Lost more faith in gamers. Nothing but a cesspool.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#13 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

The only ones I trust to deliver great games that have value are Valve, Rockstar and Firaxis.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

It's the gamers who dictate the tide of the industry. The devs and pubs just follow along with whatever pays the mortgage on their vacation homes. Gamers are the ones pre-ordering season passes, even defending glitched filled AAA games from low review scores. Game critics even take points away from campaign based games for not including a tacked on co-op multiplayer mode. Devs shamelessly announce season passes prior to the actual game launch and hypnotized gamers are okay with paying for public betas expecting a Day 1 patch fix.

Spend $120 on a pre ordered collector's edition, brag about being the first to beat the 6 - 10 hour campaign, sell in on ebay for half price only to rinse and repeat. Get mesmorized, climax over another misleading, cinematic game trailer for an annual sequel rehash with no gameplay elements, pre order + the season pass, complain, rinse repeat. Don't get me started on DLC, DRM, QTE, FPS, and any other 3 letter acronym hoopla.

The gaming industry is a business, no different from any other business who's main concern in profit revenue. Adisappointing 3.5 million week 1 sales will always still be considered a priority failure over a a disappointing ending to a AAA franchise. For change to happen, gamers need to speak with their wallets. It's that simple.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulekani

It's the gamers who dictate the tide of the industry. The devs and pubs just follow along with whatever pays the mortgage on their vacation homes. Gamers are the ones pre-ordering season passes, even defending glitched filled AAA games from low review scores. Game critics even take points away from campaign based games for not including a tacked on co-op multiplayer mode. Devs shamelessly announce season passes prior to the actual game launch and hypnotized gamers are okay with paying for public betas expecting a Day 1 patch fix.

Spend $120 on a pre ordered collector's edition, brag about being the first to beat the 6 - 10 hour campaign, sell in on ebay for half price only to rinse and repeat. Get mesmorized, climax over another misleading, cinematic game trailer for an annual sequel rehash with no gameplay elements, pre order + the season pass, complain, rinse repeat. Don't get me started on DLC, DRM, QTE, FPS, and any other 3 letter acronym hoopla.

The gaming industry is a business, no different from any other business who's main concern in profit revenue. Adisappointing 3.5 million week 1 sales will always still be considered a priority failure over a a disappointing ending to a AAA franchise. For change to happen, gamers need to speak with their wallets. It's that simple.

HipHopBeats
Lol, you know whats funny ? Even an idiot can grasp that concept, imagine what this says about gamers who don't see how simple it is.
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

Lulekani

Lol, you know whats funny ? Even an idiot can grasp that concept, imagine what this says about gamers who don't see how simple it is.

Those are the ones who continue to pre order the same rehashes + season pass, beat the game the same day they get it and complain about wanting more.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

I'm losing faith in the developers, the publishers AND the gamers.

Gamers are partially to blame for this mess because THEY BUY INTO IT. They fuel it.

They buy all these generic, rehashed shooters such as Bioshock Infinite and Call of Duty MW3. They actually purchase day-one DLC and season-passes. They actually buy new games so they can get the online pass. Guys. Srsly. if you continue to buy this stuff, they'll continue to make it. Invest your money in more reasonable developers and publishers. Maybe then the rest of the gaming industry will get the idea.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GeoffZak

The only ones I trust to deliver great games that have value are Valve, Rockstar and Firaxis.

UpInFlames

You spelt Namco Tales Studio, Level 5 and Sonic Team wrong.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Can you really blame them for season passes and all that?  Seriously, if company A is making tons of money off it then it only makes sense for companies B, C, D, etc... to follow the same model.  They are all still companies and companies want to make money.

If you don't want to preorder a special edition then don't.  There are people who will and for those who don't just go buy the game, it's not like they're getting a different one than you are. 

Yeah, EA and Activision are annoying, but there are plenty of awesome games being made from other devs (i.e. Bioshock: Infinite and later this year, Beyond [that is if they developed solid gameplay mechanics and not just a good story]).

If you don't like a company or their games then don't buy them.  If you don't like any games coming out then maybe you just don't like games, because there are more and more games, both generic and original, coming out each month.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Nope. More and more amazing games continue to come out. Stay smart and stay educated and you'll be alright.

But by all means I hope those companies continue to destroy your beloved hobby. Seems the more jaded "the good old days" types are the more I'm enjoying my hobby.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I do favor Zenimax and the developers it has under it's tent, like Id Software, Bethesda Game Studios, Arkane Studios. As for EA and Activison, I do like the majority of the developers under their tent. I just can't stand those two publishers business practises and how they currently are for the Gaming industry.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

this thread again.

idunnodude

Same sh!t, different day.

losing-faith-cover-pic2.jpg

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CarnageHeart

HipHopBeats

Are you just making things up? Which glitch filled released have people defended? I'm a regular on these boards and I don't remember encountering any vocal defenders of Simcity or the PS3 editions of Bayonetta and Skyrim or any edition of Aliens Colonial Marines.

Also, while I'm not a guy who is hung up on the points system, I haven't noticed many reviewers criticizing games for not having multiplayer. The lack certainly hasn't cost Bioshock Infinite or Ni No Kuni anything in terms of positive press.

As for Season passes, what is your problem? To incorporate DLC into a game, a developer needs to leave hooks in the main game for the DLC to later be hung on. So any developer who offers DLC probably was planning on making it even as they made the main game. Would you prefer that developers lied to you about DLC, announcing it only after the game was released? The current strategy allows people who are opposed to DLC to avoid games which will have it (and vice versa, I suppose).

As for the need of gamers to speak with their wallets, well, they already are, they just aren't saying what you want to hear.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

If I am losing faith in any part of gaming then I would say I am losing faith in gamers. It is sad when a "game" with very poor game play get game of the year by many. Worse, it seem many gamers are overlooking harm to game play just because the game has a interactive story.

wiouds
Actually, Journey is the exact reason I hold out hope for this industry. It has shown that many people are capable of opening and expanding their myopic, stubborn, traditional viewpoint into a broader realm of what the interactive medium can offer. I wouldn't worry though, games such as Journey will always be the exception rather than the rule, so everyone can rest easy.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

GeoffZak

So you hate rehashes but love Sonic Team, who have given up on making original games like Nights and now merely seek to squeeze every last drop of milk from Sonic's dessicated corpse?

Also, doesn't the Tales studio restrict itself to cranking out Tales games?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts
Are you just making things up? Which glitch filled released have people defended? I'm a regular on these boards and I don't remember encountering any vocal defenders of Simcity or the PS3 editions of Bayonetta and Skyrim or any edition of Aliens Colonial Marines.CarnageHeart
I've seen quite a few people not only defending the Simcity launch, but actively attacking those who are expressing their greviances constructively with the usual "entitled, grow up, whiners" insults. I can name a few apologists if you like, and Amazon's reviews have their good share of them also. Hard to believe there are people out there that do this, but he's right.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]Are you just making things up? Which glitch filled released have people defended? I'm a regular on these boards and I don't remember encountering any vocal defenders of Simcity or the PS3 editions of Bayonetta and Skyrim or any edition of Aliens Colonial Marines.MirkoS77
I've seen quite a few people not only defending the Simcity launch, but actively attacking those who are expressing their greviances constructively with the usual "entitled, grow up, whiners" insults. I can name a few apologists if you like, and Amazon's reviews have their good share of them also. Hard to believe there are people out there that do this, but he's right.

I don't pay much attention to random user reviews. Some EA employee with a couple free hours could crank out a couple hundred of them. I was thinking more of real gamers saying 'Yeah, the game doesn't work, but that's okay, someday in the distant future, perhaps it will!'.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GeoffZak

[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

CarnageHeart

So you hate rehashes but love Sonic Team, who have given up on making original games like Nights and now merely seek to squeeze every last drop of milk from Sonic's dessicated corpse?

If you still think Sonic sucks, you need a wake-up call. I know it may be hard for you to accept this, but he has made a comeback. It's not 2006 anymore.

What's wrong with the Tales games? Each installment is original and unique. They've all got their own unique game-feel with enough updates to the engine and game design to set each installment apart, making them all TRUE sequels.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts
My faith in developers and publishers is just fine. I'm able to find a plethora of excellent games and game content that I find to be worth my money even from companies like Capcom, EA, and Activision. I'm having a fantastic time gaming this gen.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

GeoffZak

If you still think Sonic sucks, you need a wake-up call. I know it may be hard for you to accept this, but he has made a comeback. It's not 2006 anymore.

What's wrong with the Tales games? Each installment is original and unique. They've all got their own unique game-feel with enough updates to the engine and game design to set each installment apart, making them all TRUE sequels.

he never said Sonic sucks, just that SOnic team makes nothing but Sonic games.

And as someone who used to be into the Tales series, I can say the tales series definitely got stale for me. The battle systems for the games felt very similar and not very differnt to me at all, atleast from any game released after Symphonia. The only real differences I can think of is the elemental circles introduced in Abyss, which really didn't help to make the game feel that much different from Symphonia. And then some tales games are 2D and some are 3D.

I haven't played Graces or Xillia so I can't speak for those games, though, since I pretty much lost interest in the series after Vesperia.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GeoffZak

The battle systems for the games felt very similar

I haven't played Graces or Xillia so I can't speak for those games, though, since I pretty much lost interest in the series after Vesperia.

DJ-Lafleur

Well there's your problem. Graces changes up the formula A LOT. Play it! The battle system has been greatly improved. (And didn't you could improve on perfection.) I haven't played Xillia yet because it's not released in the States yet, but I've already pre-ordered it.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

GeoffZak

Well there's your problem. Graces changes up the formula A LOT. Play it! The battle system has been greatly improved. (And didn't you could improve on perfection.) I haven't played Xillia yet because it's not released in the States yet, but I've already pre-ordered it.

Graces is the one game that shakes up the formula. The rest of the games aren't really that different. It's incredibly ironic that you bash the industry for all the rehashed series when the one series you continuously uphold has only recently began to change.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GeoffZak

[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

whiskeystrike

Graces is the one game that shakes up the formula. The rest of the games aren't really that different. It's incredibly ironic that you bash the industry for all the rehashed series when the one series you continuously uphold has only recently began to change.

I really don't understand. All of the Tales games feel a lot different from each other. They all have their own unique gamefeel. Just because they don't change things up as much as Graces does, that doesn't make them rehashes. There's enough that they change and add to make them true sequels, and not just rehashes.

Try playing Tales of Symphonia, then Tales of Legendia.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Lucky_Krystal

Lies and Misdirection? Like what?

I would like to hear a few good examples of this as well lol
Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#35 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

No.  All game companies are in business to make money, so the consumer should always be wary.

[QUOTE="downnice95"]I think it is safe to say most of us spent thousands of dollars on this industry.downnice95

Yes, I have, and I feel most of that money was well-invested.  There are several purchases I regret, but on the whole I've been satisfied with the games I've bought over the years, because I've always researched them beforehand to know what I was getting.

And what have they done to us? They give us Always online, blocking out content on disc, possibly blocking out used games, and no backwards compatibly (Confirmed for PS3) I feel this disrespect we get is sad and we have to do something. They screw us and we take it. If this continues I know I will not continue to support this industry.downnice95

Companies generally assess the success or failure of a business practice by its profitability.  If it proves protifable, then they will continue to invest in it, because it makes good business sense to do so.  It all comes back to supply and demand - if there is a proven 'demand' for something, then they will continue to supply it.

So the people who are really to blame are those who support such business practices - the consumers.  If the majority of gamers did not accept 'always online, blocking out content, blocking used games' etc., then it would become unprofitable, and companies would soon abandon such practices.  If anyone is 'disrespecting' you, then it is your fellow gamer who continues to buy shovelware, accepts any old DRM, and buys all DLC regardless of its value.

When it comes to backwards compatibility, I will actually disagree with you.  There comes a time when an industry must move forward, and supporting a previous technology is no longer profitable or viable.  I'm going to take you back in time, now, to when publishers started shipping games on CDs.  At that time, a lot of people still did not have CD drives in their computers.  The industry had come to realise that floppy disk was no longer viable - especially when they had to split a game across 10 or more disks, and floppy disks were prone to corruption.  The solution was the CD, which offered far greater capacity, and was somewhat more durable.  But the only way to get people to accept this format was essentially to force it on the consumer.  If you did not have a CD drive, you could not experience a particular game (or other software for that matter).  So people quickly started to buy CD drives, and PC manufacturers began to include them in their base models.

Past console generations have been no different, with the switch from cartridges to CDs.

When it comes to the PS3 - it had a processor and architecture that was different, and many developers had issues trying to adapt to it, which led to unoptimised games and lengthier development cycles.  The PS3 originally had backwards compatibility with PS2 games, but only by effectively having a PS2 built inside the PS3, which inflated the initial cost to $600.  And that was a financial mistake.  Sony don't want to make the same financial mistake by including PS3 components in the PS4 and inflating the cost.  They will have tested software emulation, and it obviously didn't work very well, or they would have offered that.

Also to add the sprinkle on top the Media bashes us to death and the Politicians trying to violate our rights. We have to stand together and save the industry because EA, Activision, etc.................. Screw us and will not support us when the media calls us killers etc..... downnice95

Most of the media corporations are owned by big movie corporations.  Movies compete with games in the entertainment space.  So I'm not surprised that games get bashed in the media.

Add in the fact that Politicians are lobbied by these big corporations, and again it's hardly surprising that they take these views.  A lot of them are probably clueless when it comes to how the game industry works, and it's clear from their commentary that many of them simply choose to ignore the many studies already conducted about games and violence.  It's easier to pick a scapegoat than try to address the real problems with society, like inadequate psychiatric evaluation and mental care, tightening up on gun licensing, tackling poverty and all of the other issues that lead to inequality, etc.

Justin_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Justin_G
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

and now merely seek to squeeze every last drop of milk from Sonic's dessicated corpse?

CarnageHeart

that made me lol :lol:

ZombieNoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 ZombieNoob
Member since 2009 • 385 Posts

Companies just saw their way to get easy money. They will ruin every good game to milk the gamer sheep. And that is mainly gamer's fault. If more gamers cared for nicely written and more original games, basically, not much of this mindless, fast-paced, repetitive games would be in center of attention. And that given, they then can dictate and milk you more for dlc and pointless stuff, simply because game is ultra-popular and people will then buy it. So it is magic-stupidity circle we're in now. Maybe increased amount of indie games will change that. Maybe...

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Modern games seems to be catering people who don't like thinking (AKA stupid people). Aids in games are too much to the point where there's no challenge and no fun.

This explains why I'm buying games less, less and less. The future of gaming is looking dull if it's heading that way... They should look back to old games and try to think what made them so good.

So yeah, I've lost a lot of faith in developers these days.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lulekani

Modern games seems to be catering people who don't like thinking (AKA stupid people). Aids in games are too much to the point where there's no challenge and no fun.

This explains why I'm buying games less, less and less. The future of gaming is looking dull if it's heading that way... They should look back to old games and try to think what made them so good.

So yeah, I've lost a lot of faith in developers these days.

Cyberdot
for developers, its stupid peoples MONEY versus clever peoples COMPLAINTS. I wonder which one got Activision's interests ? Hmmmm. . . . . I guess we'l never know.
Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#40 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

Except change, and just continue to enjoy the games that you enjoy..

If you stop gaming, then you simply just cutting your nose off to spite your own face! Coz it will be you loosing out!! Why loose out on something your passionate about simply due to the fact that you don't agree with certain dicisions made by once respected developers n publishers..

Surely you must have favourire developers by now, stick to what you know, if they do something you don't agree with, do more research and embrace the new!..

There's always something we have missed within the past! That's what makes gaming so exciting, especially when we stumble upon hidden gems which we initially over looked for what ever reason.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I have to say Square Enix has gone down hill in developing, but they've done a great job at publishing.