Looking to try Shin Megami Tensei

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

## After I get caught up with some games this winter I think I want to try the Shin Megami Tensei games. I am wondering what would be the best game to start with. I am not sure if the story is a running series or different each game. It seems like Shin Megami Tensei IV is getting much praise around the gaming world. I would be willing to try one of the Persona games if someone prefers though.

I have PS3, PSP, and 3DS. I also have a Xbox and PC, but pretty sure none of these games came out for them.

Thanks in advance.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#2 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

If your PS3 is backwards compatible, Persona 3FES and Persona 4 are the best entry points in the series imo for newcomers. If you want more of a challenge, Digital Devil Saga.

If not, there's Persona 3 Portable on the PSP.

I'm not sure about the series on other consoles, I've only played the PS2 titles in the series.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

My first SMT game was a Persona game on the PS1. I remember them being different, darker, than the Persona games on PS2. So if you want something a little bit lighter, start with Persona. If you want the bleaker (and, imo, better) SMT games, start with Nocturne or DDS.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I have been reading that the 3rd one is pretty good and its on PSN for 10 bucks. FIgured for 10 bucks it would be worth a try. I will look into Nocturne because I have heard great things about it as well.