Looking for Dark Rpgs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hermoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hermoor
Member since 2011 • 26 Posts

So I'm looking for an RPG where the story is totally going to draw me in. I haven't felt this way since the final fantasy series (up to X) and the old school d and d, forgotten realms rpgs like planescape, baldur's gate. Preferably I'm looking for something dark, like in planescape, with some creepy death stuff, undead creatures, land of the dead that kind of thing. I also was a big fan of the prerendered art screens in the older square games before they joined enix.

I don't really care if they are new or old, just as long as they have a great dark story. I need something to keep my mind off of the stress in life and good stories have always done that, so I appreciate any suggestions. Preferably I'm looking for a game for pc, snes, or ps3. Thanks!

puddinghead101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 puddinghead101
Member since 2012 • 190 Posts

Probably not exactly what your looking for but if your looking for a great story try Heavy Rain. Its not exactly an RPG and certainly doesn't have the specific elements your looking for but if you want to get away from real life for a while I highly recommend it.

hermoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hermoor

Thats a good call, I have been meaning to pick that one up.

Avatar image for 48knightsanhour
48knightsanhour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 48knightsanhour
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

So I'm looking for an RPG where the story is totally going to draw me in. I haven't felt this way since the final fantasy series (up to X) and the old school d and d, forgotten realms rpgs like planescape, baldur's gate. Preferably I'm looking for something dark, like in planescape, with some creepy death stuff, undead creatures, land of the dead that kind of thing. I also was a big fan of the prerendered art screens in the older square games before they joined enix.

I don't really care if they are new or old, just as long as they have a great dark story. I need something to keep my mind off of the stress in life and good stories have always done that, so I appreciate any suggestions. Preferably I'm looking for a game for pc, snes, or ps3. Thanks!

hermoor
PS3 you can get White Knight or for a more darker tone even then that, Fallout series. More so 3 than New Vegas but both would do you in.
thesnackbar81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thesnackbar81
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts

Dark souls! It may not have much narrative at all but the setting is dark and strange. Its an RPG with real time combat.

nic1357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nic1357
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Persona 2 innocent sin + eternal punishment both have twisted storylines Shadow hearts 1 is pretty messed up
IC3_C0LD_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 IC3_C0LD_ZERO
Member since 2008 • 297 Posts

Dragon Age Origins and the Witcher 1 &2 both have great and dark storylines.

nadal97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 nadal97
Member since 2012 • 66 Posts
Dark souls.
AlbedoSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AlbedoSnake
Member since 2003 • 10386 Posts

Persona 3 had probably the darkest story I've ever seen in a video game, though in terms of actual gameplay, it's kind of a hybrid dungeon crawler/sim game, but you get all the traditional JRPG battles.

Also, the story of the Xenosaga games isn't necessarily "dark," but it DOES get really heavy, and nothing has really come along like them since then.

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

Dark souls. It's not all about the story but it's definitely dark.

AsianKamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AsianKamikaze
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
You said the word "Dark". And you are looking for a game with a dark,evil setting...DARK SOULS. AFKLASJFLJKA.
hermoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hermoor

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Renoo27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 Renoo27
Member since 2008 • 569 Posts
Like the others, I can't recommend Dark Souls enough. It sounds almost exactly like what you're looking for. True, it might not have much of a narrative, but it really, REALLY sucks you in. I also recommend Dragon Age and The Witcher Series, for PC. Make sure you get the Enhanced Edition for the latter.
BigCheese349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BigCheese349
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I suggest Shadow Hearts, the game's setting is like a gothic victorian europe.

SolidStace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidStace
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Witcher 2 makes all of the games mention look like sat morning cartoons, Tactics ogre let us cling together, final fantasy tactics war of the lions and Vagrant Story all have very mature storylines plus they are all written and directed by Yasumi Matsuno. Deus Ex 1 and 3, Fallout 1 and 2, Parasite Eve 1 and 2 are also very dark. Dark souls, Demon Souls are very good. Witcher 1 is also very dark and mature. Radiant Historia has a surprisingly dark storyline given its artstyle and storyline that deals with time travel. System Shock 1 and 2 might also be worth checking out they are alot like deus ex and have very dark storylines.

Avatar image for swordmaster1390
swordmaster1390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 swordmaster1390
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

-Persona 3&4 (Primarily 4, that game is freakin' AMAZING!)

-Digital Devil Saga 1&2 (You HAVE to play them in order)

-Fate/Extra

-Shadow Hearts 1&2 (Shadow Hearts 2 a.k.a. Covenant, is also amazing. They share similarities, but it's not necessary to play them in order)

Those are the only ones that I was able to think of off the top of my head, and there may be more that I'm forgetting, but the ones listed above are some of the darkest RPG's ever.

billy7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 billy7777
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

BloodLust Vampire RPG has a free demo available on its website...

http://www.lasthalfofdarkness.com/bloodlust

it might be what you are looking for?

ShiningMoments

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#18 ShiningMoments
Member since 2012 • 44 Posts

Maybe look into Drakan: The Ancients Gates for PS2. It's been a long time since I first played it.

PRIMEGAMER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PRIMEGAMER
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Witcher 1 & 2 and also Dragon Age 1 are nice & dark...u should try them out :)

also Dark souls is a good one ;)

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#20 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

XZR / Exile series

Last Armageddon & After Armageddon Gaiden

Phantasy Star II & IV

Final Fantasy IV / VI / VII / VIII / X /Tactics

Shin Megami Tensei series / Persona series

Dragon Quest V

King's Field series / Demon's Souls / Dark Souls

The Elder Scrolls series

Terranigma & The Granstream Saga

Radical Dreamers & Chrono Cross

Suikoden I / II / III

Alundra

Fallout series

Xenogears / Xenosaga / Xenoblade

Koudelka & Shadow Hearts series

A Blurred Line

Drakengard I & II

Fable series

Lost Odyssey

Nier

AzureDrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AzureDrive
Member since 2011 • 56 Posts
The Parasite Eve series is dark and it's developed by Enix. I'd say check it out.
oakengroves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 oakengroves
Member since 2012 • 50 Posts
As other posters have mentioned, the Witcher I and II have the darkest story lines and atmosphere of virtually any RPG on the market today. Both games are incredibly well written and offer choices that drive the narratives. No other game mentioned here comes close in terms of "darkness." I also strongly suggest: Dark Souls (which is "dark" in ways but has no themes of sexuality or political intrigue); Final Fantasy Tactics (great story but still bound by sexuality taboos); Suikoden II (best political story in an RPG); Dragon Age (very similar to BG2); Persona 3 (mature but bound by JRPG cliches).
mrmime777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 mrmime777
Member since 2005 • 103 Posts

The Witcher series - darkest universe I have ever encountered, yet still a very well-realized world. Its combination of good dialogue, detailed lore, pitch black pessimistic atmosphere, and gorgeous art design is pretty intoxicating, at least for me. Very Eastern-European/Russian sensibilities, which will make sense if you are at all into Gogol or Dostoevsky. Almost every person you meet in the world, excluding a few friends, is just an ass in one way or another.

Dragon Age - less emphasis on gritty perverseness than Witcher, but still serious faced all the time, with unsurpassable characters and dialogue. The story's not bad either. Origins' combat will engage your strategic skills or put you off, but either way there's a ton of it. Then released only a little over a year later, Dragon Age II is rather streamlined and stripped down, ratherlike Mass Effect 2 in the Dragon Age universe, with more engaging combat, but still good characters and story.

Souls - Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Demon's Souls requires less of a full on commitment, as it's split up into worlds and levels within those worlds, with a central Nexus that gives a cozy sense of unity to all these insane and very difficult levels. Dark Souls is one continuous open world with no respite except bonfires scattered around, one semi-central location but not really (Firelink Shrine) a few crazy NPCs, and annoying travel time. But still a great sense of continuity to the world, bumped up graphics, and a bit more involving than Demon's Souls. Yet certainly more stressful!

These are the biggest and best "dark" series I would direct you toward, but mostly because I don't much respect grittiness just for its own sake. They are all dark, but have so many merits besides just their tone. Though these are all fantastic games, Dragon Age is to me the weakest of all of them because it's so stuck in the past combat wise, and their whole formula is undergoing some growing pains right about now. As a result, DA Origins' combat feels pretty archaic. The Witcher 2 is based in the Polish book series, so it feels more authentic as a place, and though the first one has simplistic combat, the second one is more actiony and the most solid all around, including a very detailed and involving story and superb graphics. The Souls series is only for those who crave a challenge, as it's less RPG and more of its own unique visceral brand of action. Demon's Souls is in my top 5 games of all time, easily, and reason enough to drop $250 on a PS3 for those who appreciate it.

Mind you, the only way to play all these games is to own a PS3 and a gaming PC, which I have found is the perfect combination to play all the best stuff. Except for Forza (grr), but that's another story. But you won't get much on the Xbox in the way of exclusive RPGs, except for Fable, but last I heard that wasn't the best of the best these days anyhow.

bb64x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 bb64x
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

You must get Drakengard. The gameplay is ok but its the story that keeps you going.

The Shin Megami Tensei series has been dark but the one that is really dark for me would be Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne.

And definately Dark Souls or Demon's Souls

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#25 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
[QUOTE="oakengroves"]As other posters have mentioned, the Witcher I and II have the darkest story lines and atmosphere of virtually any RPG on the market today. Both games are incredibly well written and offer choices that drive the narratives. No other game mentioned here comes close in terms of "darkness."

Disagree. Some of the other games mentioned in this thread seem "darker" to me. But of course, that depends on what exactly you mean by "dark".
Avatar image for StammBladecastr
StammBladecastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 StammBladecastr
Member since 2010 • 245 Posts

If you're looking for more of a dark and involved plot as opposed to a dark setting, I'd recommend the first Knights of the Old Republic. It's a great RPG with an engrossing story. You don't have to be a Star Wars fan, but for me it's the best Star Wars game... maybe the best Star Wars thing, period.

Another interesting option that was mentioned above is Lost Odyssey. It's pretty much FFX in terms of gameplay and overall look, but a bit more adult in theme and story.