Looking for a certain type of PC RTS. :D

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Supertoast_GT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Supertoast_GT
Member since 2006 • 58 Posts

I'm somewhat new to the RTS scene, but have played C&C Generals, Age of Mythology, ect. Looking for something different. Not just about the battles, but about growing and evolving your civilization as well.

If you have played the civilization portion of Spore, you have a faint idea of what I am looking for. Something where you pretty much start a civilization from scratch, build up technologies, go through different ages, such as Medival/colonial/industrial, ect, and eventually dominate/buy other civilizations, and eventually control the world.Something I'd really get addicted to. Civilization 5 looked promising, but was disapointed to find that it was turn based, and had a limited movement/grid system. Bleh. XD

Anyone have some suggestions? :D

Ultralazuli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Ultralazuli
Member since 2008 • 27 Posts

I'm somewhat new to the RTS scene, but have played C&C Generals, Age of Mythology, ect. Looking for something different. Not just about the battles, but about growing and evolving your civilization as well.

If you have played the civilization portion of Spore, you have a faint idea of what I am looking for. Something where you pretty much start a civilization from scratch, build up technologies, go through different ages, such as Medival/colonial/industrial, ect, and eventually dominate/buy other civilizations, and eventually control the world.Something I'd really get addicted to. Civilization 5 looked promising, but was disapointed to find that it was turn based, and had a limited movement/grid system. Bleh. XD

Anyone have some suggestions? :D

Supertoast_GT

SPORE did something few games have ever done, and taken Civilization to a real-time basis. It's kind of in a league of it's own. There are many 4x space rts games that sort of do the same thing, but it's obviously more about micromanaging a galactic empire rather than evolution.

You may want to try the Age of Empires series of games, as the first one is about ancient civs like the Yamato, Greeks, Babylonians etc, AoE 2 is more medieval, and AoE3 is more about pre and post industrial Europe and America, and it's expansions help build more into asiatic civilizations, and it is an entirely real-time series. If you like AoM, you would like AoE. Same studio.

There is of course Civilization 3-5X, but the general consensus of games that do what you describe are going to be turn based. Sorry.

boblighte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 boblighte
Member since 2003 • 405 Posts

The Age of Empires series does sound very much like what you're looking for. I'd also recommend Rise of Nations, it follows a similar formula.

Boris_amj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Boris_amj
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

SPORE did something few games have ever done, and taken Civilization to a real-time basis.

Ultralazuli
Sorry to be blunt here, but SPORE is probably the worst example of a Civ game. And it certainly isn't the only Civ game to have real-time mechanics. For example, I could mention the Anno series (1404, 1701 and 2070). Or Age of Empires. Or Rise of Nations. Or Rise of Legends. Shall I go on ?
BradleyAPC89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 BradleyAPC89
Bro, Medieval 2 total war and its companions aint tht bad, although i dont think it will suit wat ur lookin for. Medieval 2 Total war is not just military-based you have to gain revenue through merchants and building certain buildings, also building other stuff allows you to keep the population happy and defend your borders. It is kinda like conquer the world. Secondly, your faction advances through time, every turn you make is one year, so you start in like 1099 to 1600, you go from swordsmen to gunpowder units. There are heaps of factions. Rise of Nations and Legends is pretty good as well. Rise of Legends is better cause its fantasy and theres better graphics. You have a strategic map where you move your hero around going from one region to another completing different scenarios all linked to the narrative. You earn points which you can use to spend on units, heroes abilities, technologies which will contribute to how you start each scenario in the different regions. Reminds me of aoe 3 home city except rise of legends is better. Empire earth is another pick if you want to advance through 15 odd epochs. Pretty much the same as age of empires. Hope this helps : )
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#6 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I'd stay FAR away from spore.. not only is it boring and a waste of time, but it'll leave some not so nice software on the PC. A lot of people boycott spore because of the DRM that comes with the game, which is not removable and can cause harm. (yes, a DRM thats the same as spyware). I'd recommend any of the Age Of games,. Rise of Nations is also great. Rome Total War is another awesome game and you can get it really cheap now.
JAGS2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JAGS2012
Im near to finish my recent project i hope you try it out. here's the link. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/budleiser/web-and-ios-game-twin-stick-shooter-tower-defense