Linear quest VS Open-ended Quest in RPGs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Been playing these two classics lately:

VS

Playing these two RPGs made me thinking a bit. What do you prefer in RPGs? Is linear quests more fulfilling and better or are the more open-ended RPGs much more satisfying?

Basically it boils down to these two things:

Linear RPGs:

The developers created a story for you.

Open-ended RPGs:

YOU as the player create the story for yourself within a world the developers created.

Which do you prefer and which is better for RPGs?

sydstoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 sydstoner
Member since 2006 • 452 Posts
I prefer linear RPGs cause I havent got the time or patience to play other types.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts
Linear because open ended puts me to sleep.
chip1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chip1289
Member since 2005 • 270 Posts
I prefer open ended. i love sandbox games so open ended is the way to go for me
hogthershod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 hogthershod
Member since 2003 • 4227 Posts
It certainly depends on the game itself, although open-ended quest games seem more addictive. I've poured 79 hours easy into Oblivion where the last linear RPG I played where I put that many hours into was Final Fantasy VII way back in Junior High.
the_mad_madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 the_mad_madman
Member since 2004 • 316 Posts

Good taste in games...

Anyway, my favorite is the middle ground where the story is fairly linear but allows you to go about the tasks in a non-linear fashion with the story branching off depending on how you go about each part. Like Vampire: Bloodlines or more recently, The Witcher!

If I had to choose between those two though, I'd have to go with linear. I'm a sucker for a good story in a game, and linear experiences generally tell the best stories with only a few exceptions.

Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts
Just depends on how good it is made. I love FFX. At the sametime think VII is absolute crap. While I really dont know how to classify Open Ended lol. Like Kotor like where it combines the two? or Obvilion or something else? lol
TheMotherBrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 TheMotherBrain
Member since 2007 • 284 Posts
I like open-ended games when they aren't traditional RPGs (like Morrowind). I prefer linear RPGs because that way, the developers can includea very good story to go with it (RPGs must have good stories).
Shyn_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shyn_1
Member since 2003 • 471 Posts
linear for me
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

Good taste in games...

Anyway, my favorite is the middle ground where the story is fairly linear but allows you to go about the tasks in a non-linear fashion with the story branching off depending on how you go about each part. Like Vampire: Bloodlines or more recently, The Witcher!

If I had to choose between those two though, I'd have to go with linear. I'm a sucker for a good story in a game, and linear experiences generally tell the best stories with only a few exceptions.

the_mad_madman

Pretty much hit it right on the nail there. I really enjoyed Deus Ex, but hated almost every other WRPG I've played.

Ravenprose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ravenprose
Member since 2007 • 418 Posts
I usually don't care for RPG storylines or linear quests (Paper Mario games being the only exceptions). The RPGs I play are open-ended games like Morrowind and Oblivion because I like to create my own gameplay stories through random adventuring.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
open ended games tend to be enjoyable but they always seem to lose me over the long haul. i spend a lot of time just exploring and playing with things but then the lack of cohesive story tends to fail to keep my interest.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#13 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

Open ended for me. Call me a bit self centered but i enjoy having a game experience different than most other people. That's one of the things i loved about morrowind... sure you can say that everyone went through the main story but the main story was most of a side dish, the entree was being able to do all those other things that set your character's story apart from mostly everyone else's

i've seen a bunch of games with good stories, there's not too many games that make the player feel unique

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts
I think through Mass Effect we will finally see the perfect mesh of both, Mass Effect gets past the childish idea that simply allowing players to create a character's name allows for a unqiue for experience, and have opted instead to utitlize the best aspects of more linear games along with their experience in creating open-ended quests.
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 165

#15 zh666
Member since 2005 • 5068 Posts
so its basically up to JRPGs and WRPGs... I like fleshed out characters, creative graphics, unquie gameplay and a good story, so JRPG for me.... while I like WRPGs to an extent, they're mostly the same thing over and over again, you're either playing a first person dungeon crawler, overhead hack and slasher or 3rd person hack and slasher... repetitive button mashing gets old and crawling through long pointless dungeons gets old...

I like the aspect of open worlds, but most WRPGs don't render them creatively enough.. they just slap together a bunch of randomly generated towns, fields and dungeons, with little story why you're crawling through a dungeon killing the same giant rat over and over again... I like sorting out my skills and building my character too... they do that just fine though...
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Most RPG experiences ive played that have actual good storys are open ended games. However I love the stories in oldschool JRPGS too but it seems the last gen or so they just arent trying anymore. Eternal Sonata is the only one storywise that has me captivated at the moment so I definetly want to pick that up. But the stories plots and character developments are all a lot deeper in most WRPGS in my vast nerd experience, and thats what really keeps me glued to the screen for hours. So I guess I like both. Hahhahaha suck it I rule this thread. Thats right BOTH. *raises arms in victory pose*
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#17 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts
I prefer linear in most cases,because I play RPGs because of the story too.And that´s a point open-rpgs usually suck.I still wonder why they can´t find a good mix of a clever fighting-system and a useful item-system in most open ones...I really like Oblivion for example,but there is just too much useless stuff in the world.I´m someone who likes to pick up almost everything he can whis is ok if it´s impossible,but who get´s motivated searching items if chest,box,table...whatever nuber 2000 still contains 5 unimportant 1-2$ items???