Let's talk about Chrono Trigger

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

I started playing Chrono Trigger only recently.

And holy god.

This game is SO well designed.

Chrono Trigger puts most of today's RPGs to shame.

Dark Souls, Skyrim, The Witcher, Dragon Age, GO HOME! Chrono Trigger is where it's at.

For example: So you're running around town and you run by what looks like just a generic NPC, but then BAM! You and her trip over and it triggers (no pun intended) a story sequence.

Mind Blown

Who else thinks that developers should look towards Chrono Trigger for inspiration?

This game is a prime example of how to correctly design an RPG.

I can't believe I ignored this game for so long. I should've played it sooner.

On a side note: Who else thinks Crono should be in Smash Brothers? lol

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21702 Posts

I played it for the first time in 2008, and yeah, I was also really shocked with how good it is. I normally hate jrpgs, but in Chrono Trigger the gameplay is simple and fun to master, there are no random battles, the characters aren't annoying, the story is engaging, and the music is terrific. Chrono Trigger just gets it right everywhere.

If Square got to put a character in the next Smash, it'd be awesome if it was Crono, but I doubt they would pick him over someone like Cloud. 

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

It really is extraordinary how well it has aged. The story is simple, yet interesting and charming, the graphics are beautiful 2D, the characters are likeable, charming, well written aswell, and the replay value is mind boggling because of the 15 different endings. As Renegade said, the controls are simple to learn, no random battles (this is a huge plus in my book) and the music is really great.

You can easily see that a dream team developed it.  

killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

Chrono Trigger is my favorite rpg ever, its even in my tag

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#5 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Amazing game. I loved it and I'd love to see Chrono and Magus as characters in the next Smash Bros.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

And holy god.

Dark Souls, Skyrim, The Witcher, Dragon Age, GO HOME! Chrono Trigger is where it's at.

For example: So you're running around town and you run by what looks like just a generic NPC, but then BAM! You and her trip over and it triggers (no pun intended) a story sequence.

Mind Blown

Who else thinks that developers should look towards Chrono Trigger for inspiration?

GeoffZak

I recently finished Chrono Trigger as well on Wii Virtual Console. I LOVED the game. One of the greatest JRPGs ever made.

But better than Skyrim...no way. There is more depth in the gameplay and worlds of that game than in any JRPG I have ever played. And there's a helluva lot more content and gameplay. Full voice acting. Breath-takingly beautiful graphics and landscapes. And an amazing soundtrack. (That said, I do like Skyrim's predecessor, Oblivion, more though.)

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

CT is one of the best RPGs I played and I played it fairly recent from the Wii's VC.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#8 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

And holy god.

Mind Blown

Emerald_Warrior

I recently finished Chrono Trigger as well on Wii Virtual Console. I LOVED the game. One of the greatest JRPGs ever made.

But better than Skyrim...no way. There is more depth in the gameplay and worlds of that game than in any JRPG I have ever played. And there's a helluva lot more content and gameplay. Full voice acting. Breath-takingly beautiful graphics and landscapes. And an amazing soundtrack. (That said, I do like Skyrim's predecessor, Oblivion, more though.)

i haven't played Skyrim, but I do think Chrono Trigger is much better than the Elder Scrolls games I've played (Morrowind and Oblivion).

Chrono Trigger is pretty much perfect whereas Morrowind has combat that feels almost broken and Oblivion suffers from clunky combat (tho much better than Morrowind), bland and recycled dungeons, uninspired art design, the funky level scaling, the really crappy character creation tools, the lack of a compelling story, etc. 

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Chrono Trigger is the only game I replay every year and still enjoy it just as much.

Crono would fit in very well with the Smash Bros. crowd.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#10 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Chrono Trigger offended my delicate sensibilities regarding temporal mechanics. /troll
Valknut4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Valknut4
Member since 2012 • 403 Posts

The one thing all RPG's could look back an learn from FF6 and Chrono Trigger is for godsakes make your side/sub quest fun an meaningful.

Last time  I played it an finished all the side quests for the first time, the world was drasticly different in most if not all time zones. Sans future an prehistoric.

Thats the one thing I think they could have done better, more sub quests in future/prehistoric. Thats only cause I have played the game so many times an recently had a terrible experience playing the NDS's version with extra dungeons /vomit.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

GreySeal9

i haven't played Skyrim, but I do think Chrono Trigger is much better than the Elder Scrolls games I've played (Morrowind and Oblivion).

Chrono Trigger is pretty much perfect whereas Morrowind has combat that feels almost broken and Oblivions suffers from clunky combat (tho much better than Morrowind), bland and recycled dungeons, uninspired art design, the funky level scaling, the really crappy character creation tools, the lack of a compelling story, etc. 

If you haven't played Skyrim but you have played Oblivion, you're not missing out on much. lol. Skyrim suffers from a lot of what Oblivion suffered from. Bland, uinsinpired and recycled dungeons, clunky combat and boring landscapes. Meh. At least they improved the physics. I was never a fan of the Elder Scrolls battle system.

I would still make a bold statement and say that Chrono Trigger is a better RPG than Skyrim. It's more fun and more groundbreaking. Even when put on the same level as some of today's games Chrono Trigger is still more unique, original and innovative. It has aged VERY well.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I haven't played Oblivion and Skyrim but Chrono Trigger destroys Morrowind overall. And Morrowind is still considered by some as the best in that franchise. Granted you can't directly compare the two but I look it is as one was fun and the other wasn't.

Plus Morrowind has its own probelms where as CT's problems that I had with were the translation from the SNES version.

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

One of my favorite jrpgs :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#15 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
Member since 2011 • 348 Posts

I wanna play it, but people are insanely overcharging for the original SNES cart!

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 turtlethetaffer

I wanna play it, but people are insanely overcharging for the original SNES cart!

GSJones1994

Do you have a DS? If you do, buy it on that. It's like twenty bucks or so most places, and that's a great deal for the game. Plus you get all the bonus content and whatnot. Even if it's not fantastic (the bonus stuff) yu may as well invest to get the most game as possible.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I started it a few months back but haven't been able to pick it up since. My old tube TV kicked the bucket. I'm getting a new one tomorrow. I'll finally be able to start playing it again. The game is masterful.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts

it's a great game and is just about at the top of my list of favorite games ever, It sucks Square refuses to invest more into the series and it's the ultimate reason I despise them today. But yea, I would say Chrono Trigger was far ahead of it's time and has aged extremely well in comparison to other games released during that era which was highlighted when Chrono trigger was re-released on the DS. Overall, the game was the complete package and was a blast from start to finish.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

I played Chrono Trigger back in 2000 (or so). It immediatly become my favourite RPG, and one of the best games ever played.

When it came out for the DS, I obviously bought it, amazing game even for today standards.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Yeah Chrono Trigger is one of those games that just never gets old.  I replay it from time to time just for the hell of it.  I think I've owned it on just about every available platform, SNES, PSX, DS... well I guess not on VC but oh well.  Crazy thing is every time I pick it up out of boredom it's still just as fun as the first time I went through it.  Game is just oozing charm.  

Still love how badass a lot of those dual techs were too.  Falcon Strike is still one of my favorite animations on the SNES.  Game really was, and still is something to gawk at.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Allicrombie

Yeah Chrono Trigger is one of those games that just never gets old.  I replay it from time to time just for the hell of it.  I think I've owned it on just about every available platform, SNES, PSX, DS... well I guess not on VC but oh well.  Crazy thing is every time I pick it up out of boredom it's still just as fun as the first time I went through it.  Game is just oozing charm.  

Still love how badass a lot of those dual techs were too.  Falcon Strike is still one of my favorite animations on the SNES.  Game really was, and still is something to gawk at.

MLBknights58
I love the game but I have the hardest time playing it on the DS due to the cheesy anime cutscenes and redone music. Guess I'm just a purist.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

Yeah Chrono Trigger is one of those games that just never gets old. I replay it from time to time just for the hell of it. I think I've owned it on just about every available platform, SNES, PSX, DS... well I guess not on VC but oh well. Crazy thing is every time I pick it up out of boredom it's still just as fun as the first time I went through it. Game is just oozing charm.

Still love how badass a lot of those dual techs were too. Falcon Strike is still one of my favorite animations on the SNES. Game really was, and still is something to gawk at.

Allicrombie

I love the game but I have the hardest time playing it on the DS due to the cheesy anime cutscenes and redone music. Guess I'm just a purist.

There are only a few cut scenes throughout the game and if you so desire, you can turn them off. I didn't notice any problems with the music but the DS was where I first played it.

Avatar image for Admiral-lemnant
Admiral-lemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Admiral-lemnant
Member since 2013 • 160 Posts

One of the worst "Rpgs" if that is what it is, I have ever pleayed, with several flaws that are all suspiciously ignored due to how simple it is to get into and it's casual difficulty curve with no depth whatsoever, and people like that, so what can I do.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

Allicrombie

You can turn the scenes off, fortunately. At least the scenes were better on this than the PS1 version, which were encoded poorly for some reason.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

[QUOTE="GSJones1994"]

turtlethetaffer

Do you have a DS? If you do, buy it on that. It's like twenty bucks or so most places, and that's a great deal for the game. Plus you get all the bonus content and whatnot. Even if it's not fantastic (the bonus stuff) yu may as well invest to get the most game as possible.

Well, I have a Super NES and I want the real thing. Super NES games are so overpriced.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Chrono Trigger is one of the best RPGs and games ever made. The story is engaging, the battle system is unique and fun, and everything is easy to do. Traveling, talking, combat decisions, and understanding the plot is all easy to grasp. One of the best things about Chrono Trigger is the seamless transition from the movement to a battle. There is barely any load time so there is no break in gameplay and that is what makes it such an engaging game players do not want to put it away and forget about it. The PlayStation version suffers from four to five second load times for every battle and every time the menu opens which makes the port sluggish in comparison to the original SNES version. There should be another port with normal load time speeds for the excellent experience the original version offers. Anyway, video game makers can learn a great amount of wisdom to develop and produce great games from Chrono Trigger.

>Who else thinks Crono should be in Smash Brothers?

He is originally in a Super Nintendo game. Both he and Magus would be good for the series.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Emerald_Warrior

He is originally in a Super Nintendo game. Both he and Magus would be good for the series.

BranKetra

They're Square characters, not Nintendo characters. So Nintendo would likely have to pay Square royalties to put them in a Smash Bros. game, and that if Square allowed it even. Smash Bros. games consist of Nintendo owned characters.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]

Emerald_Warrior

They're Square characters, not Nintendo characters. So Nintendo would likely have to pay Square royalties to put them in a Smash Bros. game, and that if Square allowed it even. Smash Bros. games consist of Nintendo owned characters.

Also, Square Enix and Nintendo usually don't get along. Sakurai said he is going to put a Capcom character in the next Smash Bros., game. At first I wanted it to be Leon S. Kennedy from Resident Evil, but now I want to see Zero in the next game.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 branketra

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]

Emerald_Warrior

It would be like Solid Snake and Sonic. It was done already with other characters, so it might occur again with the next game. >Also, Square Enix and Nintendo usually don't get along. That is something which will need to be overcome for gamers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]

BranKetra

It would be like Solid Snake and Sonic. It was done already with other characters, so it might occur again with the next game. >Also, Square Enix and Nintendo usually don't get along. That is something which will need to be overcome for gamers.

It will be done with the next game. Sakurai said he's gonna put a Capcom character in the next game, hopefully it's Zero.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]

GSJones1994

Also, Square Enix and Nintendo usually don't get along. Sakurai said he is going to put a Capcom character in the next Smash Bros., game. At first I wanted it to be Leon S. Kennedy from Resident Evil, but now I want to see Zero in the next game.

Link? I think Mega Man would be better regardless, since he's one of those that goes waaaay back with Nintendo systems.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Allicrombie
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"] I think Mega Man would be better regardless, since he's one of those that goes waaaay back with Nintendo systems.

Would be nice to see someone new, though.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#33 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

And holy god.

Mind Blown

GeoffZak

It really does put modern RPG's to shame, it is probably the most complete and well-designed/well-written RPG ever made.

And the fact that Crono, or Frog, isn't in any Super Smash Brothers game is a joke. Solid Snake makes the cut though? Joke...

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I technically own it on the Final Fantasy Chroncles for the PS, but have never tired playing it yet. I guess I was hoping I'd get lucky and find it on the SNES until I played it. When I feel like getting back into RPGs, I'll have to try it out (I'm currently in an action and platforming game phase at the moment lol).

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#35 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
I played Chrono Trigger in 2008 through Final Fantasy Chronicles. Best damn game I'd played in several years at that point. I really wish the DS remake (port...) would've gotten a graphics upgrade though. :/
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 turtlethetaffer

I played Chrono Trigger in 2008 through Final Fantasy Chronicles. Best damn game I'd played in several years at that point. I really wish the DS remake (port...) would've gotten a graphics upgrade though. :/ Cloud_765

The graphics were way ahead of their time. I played it for the first time back when it was first released for the DS and I was amazed. It's a truly awesome looking 2D game. Hoenstly, trying to update it into something like 3D would probably look less attractive.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

GSJones1994

It will be done with the next game. Sakurai said he's gonna put a Capcom character in the next game, hopefully it's Zero.

I was talking about Crono and Magus.
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

Played it for the first time on the DS. At first I wasn't sure why it was spoken of with such reverence. It looked nice, it sounded great and all the JRPG bits seemed to be in place but it didn't really grab me. After a while I went back to it and made a more determined effort and after a while the game just opened up - finally I could see what others had been raving about for years. Glorious.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

[QUOTE="GSJones1994"][QUOTE="BranKetra"] It would be like Solid Snake and Sonic. It was done already with other characters, so it might occur again with the next game. >Also, Square Enix and Nintendo usually don't get along. That is something which will need to be overcome for gamers.BranKetra

I'd rather see Frog than Chrono or Magus, but any character from Chrono Trigger would be welcome.

Even Lucca and Marle...maybe not

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="GSJones1994"] It will be done with the next game. Sakurai said he's gonna put a Capcom character in the next game, hopefully it's Zero.Blueresident87

I'd rather see Frog than Chrono or Magus, but any character from Chrono Trigger would be welcome.

Even Lucca and Marle...maybe not

Frog was my favorite in Chrono Trigger, too. He even had his own theme music!

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

Chrono Trigger is a good RPG, not a great one. I dont understand all the overhype. The game was not considered nearly as good when it released as compared to how much people try to hype it up now. Chrono Trigger is easily the most overhyped RPG of all time (followed by FF7).

Chrono Trigger is a very short RPG (Yes, even for its time) and the simplicity of the game is astounding. The best parts of the game imo are the first 2 hours of play and the last 2. (The trial is good as well). However, it is an RPG anybody can pick up and beat. People saying it is difficult make me laugh... It is argueably one of the easiest RPG's EVER made.

Like I said, I do like the game. In fact I have beat the game two times (I went back to play it a couple years ago).

I prefer Chrono Cross. It is a better RPG in every aspect except MAYBE character background. Not that Chrono Trigger has much, but Cross has SO MANY characters it is unreal.

I dont even consider Chrono Trigger the best RPG on the SNES. Breath of Fire 1 and 2, Final Fantasy titles, and a few others are definately up there.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Emerald_Warrior

^ Go back and read gaming magazines from the time. Chrono Trigger was VERY hyped back then. It was a huge focus in Nintendo Power, in particular.

The game was very simple in gameplay, no doubt. I agree with that. But what was innovative about it was the storyline. While not innovative today, back then most RPGs were set in dungeons & dragons esque settings. This game was set all over the place thanks to the time travel storyline.

It was also innovative for the fact that your actions affected the world. Something you did in the past, will affect the present and the future.

And finally, it was a praised because of the graphics. It really pushed the SNES's 2D capabilities, made good use of Mode 7 graphics at times, and had some flashy special effects for the time.

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Eddie-Murphy48
Member since 2013 • 939 Posts
I have never been able to beat Chrono Trigger for some reason, every time I play Chrono Trigger I usually do a good job keeping with it, but once you get to the end game, or at least the part where the floating final fortress comes up, and the first guy in that area kicks my but, for some reason, I can't continue. At that part of the game I have no interest and I have no idea why since it's pretty much the end of the default ending from the looks of it. I guess the climax of the floating city and the massive destruction and underwater battle that follows went away, maybe I was too excited at that part. I actually played it not too long ago, so maybe I can beat it since I am at the end and still do a relevant review. I do agree that it's a well crafted accessible game, but it gets way too much praise now when there are games like Final Fantasy 9, Xii, 6, 5, breath of fire, Lufia 2, Phantasy star, there are many more that seem to be losing attention to the game now then back when in its time. I would even place Final Fantasy 8 as a more praise worthy game despite its flaws. In fact, I think its sequel was a better. With that said, Squaresoft has made quite a few more gems requiring attention, although I wouldn't put them in the top Jrpg developers, I assure you Chrono Trigger is not there best work.
MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

One of the worst "Rpgs" if that is what it is, I have ever pleayed, with several flaws that are all suspiciously ignored due to how simple it is to get into and it's casual difficulty curve with no depth whatsoever, and people like that, so what can I do.

Admiral-lemnant

Just out of curiosity, what are these "flaws" you speak of? 

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GreySeal9

Chrono Trigger is a good RPG, not a great one. I dont understand all the overhype. The game was not considered nearly as good when it released as compared to how much people try to hype it up now. Chrono Trigger is easily the most overhyped RPG of all time (followed by FF7).

Chrono Trigger is a very short RPG (Yes, even for its time) and the simplicity of the game is astounding. The best parts of the game imo are the first 2 hours of play and the last 2. (The trial is good as well). However, it is an RPG anybody can pick up and beat. People saying it is difficult make me laugh... It is argueably one of the easiest RPG's EVER made.

Like I said, I do like the game. In fact I have beat the game two times (I went back to play it a couple years ago).

I prefer Chrono Cross. It is a better RPG in every aspect except MAYBE character background. Not that Chrono Trigger has much, but Cross has SO MANY characters it is unreal.

I dont even consider Chrono Trigger the best RPG on the SNES. Breath of Fire 1 and 2, Final Fantasy titles, and a few others are definately up there.

WitIsWisdom

Having played Breath of Fire 2, I don't really see how it could be considered better than Chrono Trigger. With all due respect, I think the idea that BoF2 is better quite laughable. 

-CT has much better visuals. Breath of Fire 2's visuals are charming enough, but it simply doesn't have the production values of CT. The effects, sprites, animations, environments are all more impressive in CT. Not to mention that the game makes better use of color and has more texture and attention to detail. There are a number of RPGs that look better than BoFII on SNES (Final Fantasy VI, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, etc), but not really any that look better than CT.

-CT is paced much better. Breath of Fire 2 has too many fetchquests, too much pointless traveling, and too many moments where the game doesn't give you a good idea of what to do next. CT doesn't have any of these problems. Not to mention that CT is often inventive with its pacing due to its use of the time gimmick.

-CT avoids the annoyance of random encounters whereas Breath of Fire 2's random encounters can get very out of hand.

-CT's environments are more varied and interesting due to the game's time traveling gimmick. By comparison, Breath of Fire 2's environments are far more typical. True, you get to go into a fat lady's body, but the game just turns that into yet another set of tunnels.

-CT doesn't have the abysmal translation that Breath of Fire 2 does. BoF 2's menus are poorly done due to overly shortened item names and the dialogue can sound downright infantile because of the poor translation.

-CT has a more exciting battle system. Breath of Fire 2's battle system is very standard. There's nothing wrong it, but there's nothing about it that particularly stands out. On the other hand, despite the lack of depth, CT's battle system has all the dual and triple techs combined with the ATB system.

-They both have good stories, but CT's story is not hurt by a poor localization.

-One thing I'll give to Breath of Fire 2 is humor. I don't remember CT ever making me laugh whereas BoF2 did several times.

-They are about even as far as characters are concerned. They both have quite charming charactrs.

-CT is easier, but who cares? BoF2 is not that challenging either and I'll take the better-designed game over the more challenging one.

-CT is simplistic all right, but I fail to see how that is a bad thing. Many of the things that people consider masterpices are "simple." Not to mention that Breath of Fire 2 is also simple. The only real depth the game has is the fusion system. Other than that, it has the most basic of battle systems.

-In CT, there are instances where your actions effect the story and you can get multiple endings. In constrast, BoF2 sticks to a much more traditional formula in this respect.

-Breath of Fire 2 absolutely gets murdered as far as music is concerned. Chrono Trigger's soundtrack is full of gems. BoF2's? Not so much.

-Breath of Fire 2 does have more mini-games and what not, so I'll give it props for that.

-CT also murders BoF2 in respect to sidequests. Some of the most inventive uses of time are in CT's sidequests.

-I don't see why the length matters at all. Long/=/good while short/=/bad.

I do agree that Chrono Cross is better than Chrono Trigger, but Breath of Fire is not even in Chrono Trigger's league.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 WitIsWisdom

Naw... I see where you all are coming from, and I may be in the minority but I gracefully disagree. I'm not trying to get anybody upset, that's not how I roll. I never said long=good and short=bad. As a matter of fact I said that Chrono Trigger is a good game, however it is overhyped now more than ever. Yes it had some hype back in the day but not nearly that of which it carries now.

The length of the game is important in the fact that it is so short it can easily be completed in a couple short sit throughs. It just seems as though it could have been longer. If the game had more content I would be able to be drawn in more, however I feel it was shorter because of the fact that they couldnt find more to fit into the storyline.

I loved Chrono Cross which correct me if I 'm wrong got higher overall scores from just about EVERY source.... (not that I ever pay attention to review scores however, it seems everybody else does). I like that game MUCH more. It has a great length, great depth, an innovative combat system, has some truly challenging puzzles, etc. etc.

Chrono Trigger can be completed in 15-20 hours, and just doesnt have the development it needs for an RPG of my taste. The pacing is great, I give you that. However I love the grind and random encounters of RPG's. As far as I'm concerned that's what JRPG's are all about. Lets go back to Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy.

Maybe since I got started on random encouter games that make you think a little bit more and are a decent length I was spoiled (or brainwashed,,, :P ) when I played Chrono Trigger. I still loved the game when I first played it back in the day... nowhere near as much as EITHER BoF, but especially looking back now, imo it just doesnt pan out.

I do love the race, and I will always eat the damn turkey (chicken... whatever :P ) I can spend a little while drinking the pop, watching the baloons, etc. However the friendships, storyline, character development, fishing, hunting, side quests, hidden goodies, different play areas including forrest, grasslands, ocean/sea, desert, sky, underground, cave, industrial, dungeon, etc. settings of BoF sets it apart for me. Dragon transformations, trials, charm... I feel the BoF has it all.

Chrono Trigger holds a special place in my heart, but the depth just doesnt have enough time to develop. Its like right when you are drawn in the most the game is already on the downhill swing.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

GreySeal9

Having played Breath of Fire 2, I don't really see how it could be considered better than Chrono Trigger. With all due respect, I think the idea that BoF2 is better quite laughable. 

-CT has much better visuals. Breath of Fire 2's visuals are charming enough, but it simply doesn't have the production values of CT. The effects, sprites, animations, environments are all more impressive in CT. Not to mention that the game makes better use of color and has more texture and attention to detail. There are a number of RPGs that look better than BoFII on SNES (Final Fantasy VI, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, etc), but not really any that look better than CT.

-CT is paced much better. Breath of Fire 2 has too many fetchquests, too much pointless traveling, and too many moments where the game doesn't give you a good idea of what to do next. CT doesn't have any of these problems. Not to mention that CT is often inventive with its pacing due to its use of the time gimmick.

-CT avoids the annoyance of random encounters whereas Breath of Fire 2's random encounters can get very out of hand.

-CT's environments are more varied and interesting due to the game's time traveling gimmick. By comparison, Breath of Fire 2's environments are far more typical. True, you get to go into a fat lady's body, but the game just turns that into yet another set of tunnels.

-CT doesn't have the abysmal translation that Breath of Fire 2 does. BoF 2's menus are poorly done due to overly shortened item names and the dialogue can sound downright infantile because of the poor translation.

-CT has a more exciting battle system. Breath of Fire 2's battle system is very standard. There's nothing wrong it, but there's nothing about it that particularly stands out. On the other hand, despite the lack of depth, CT's battle system has all the dual and triple techs combined with the ATB system.

-They both have good stories, but CT's story is not hurt by a poor localization.

-One thing I'll give to Breath of Fire 2 is humor. I don't remember CT ever making me laugh whereas BoF2 did several times.

-They are about even as far as characters are concerned. They both have quite charming charactrs.

-CT is easier, but who cares? BoF2 is not that challenging either and I'll take the better-designed game over the more challenging one.

-CT is simplistic all right, but I fail to see how that is a bad thing. Many of the things that people consider masterpices are "simple." Not to mention that Breath of Fire 2 is also simple. The only real depth the game has is the fusion system. Other than that, it has the most basic of battle systems.

-In CT, there are instances where your actions effect the story and you can get multiple endings. In constrast, BoF2 sticks to a much more traditional formula in this respect.

-Breath of Fire 2 absolutely gets murdered as far as music is concerned. Chrono Trigger's soundtrack is full of gems. BoF2's? Not so much.

-Breath of Fire 2 does have more mini-games and what not, so I'll give it props for that.

-CT also murders BoF2 in respect to sidequests. Some of the most inventive uses of time are in CT's sidequests.

I do agree that Chrono Cross is better than Chrono Trigger, but Breath of Fire is not even in Chrono Trigger's league.

All of the above is completely true about the two games, but I still liked BoF 2 better.  

*shrug*  Excellent post though.  I just have such a soft spot for the Breath of Fire games.  

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 WitIsWisdom

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

MLBknights58

All of the above is completely true about the two games, but I still liked BoF 2 better.

*shrug* Excellent post though. I just have such a soft spot for the Breath of Fire games.

Yes, I agree... you streamlined my thoughts very nicely :P

I need to work on getting to the point. lol

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 turtlethetaffer

Holy walls of text Batman

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

WitIsWisdom

*shrug* Excellent post though. I just have such a soft spot for the Breath of Fire games.

Yes, I agree... you streamlined my thoughts very nicely :P

I need to work on getting to the point. lol

I'm the one who needs to work on getting to the point. :lol:

Anyway, just to be clear, I do love Breath of Fire 2. I has tons of charm and heart and it is a must play RPG for the SNES. It's just a bit rough around the edges.