Legacy games you wish you could've experienced back when they were out

This topic is locked from further discussion.

amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

I would have to say Shenmue. I didn't play it back when it came out on the Dreamcast, but if I had, I think it would've blew my mind. The amount of content and innovation that game had surprised me even when I first played it several months ago. What made it even more amazing is that the game is a decade old, and I found it actually had a lot more options than some current gen games today.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

Ico. I am playing through that game now and I cannot believe the beauty of it. I love how the wimp is the protector and the puzzles are great. I have always thought Shenmue 1/2 are the best games for artistic beauty but Ico is right up there. Truly awe-spiring artistic beauty.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
FFXII, Rogue Galaxy, Persona 3 and 4.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

The two games that really stick out in my mind were Castlevania Symphony of the Night and FF VII. During the time that these games were released I was too busy enjoying my N64 to really know or care what was being released for other consoles. I discovered FF VII about 3 years after it was released and Castlevania only about a year ago. Both of these games are examples of why the playstation was so great and why it still holds it own to this day.

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#5 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
The only one I can think of right off hand is Metal Gear Solid.
Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#6 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts
  • Secret of Mana (SNES)
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)
  • Earthbound (SNES)
  • ActRaiser 1 and 2 (SNES)
  • Illusion of Gaia (SNES)
  • Radiant Silvergun (Saturn)
  • Gunstar Heroes (SG)
  • Final Fantasy II (SNES)
  • Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (SNES)
  • Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (SNES)
M3tr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

#7 M3tr4nk0
Member since 2008 • 889 Posts

Too many to list, I'm almost always late to the party. But these are the most noteworthy:

• Panzer Dragoon
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Pokemon Red/Blue
  • Super Mario 64
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Half-Life
  • Panzer Dragoon Saga
  • Grandia
  • Grand Theft Auto III
skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. I was 7 when it was released but I didn't even know what Zelda was until my teens.

katana_duo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 katana_duo
Member since 2005 • 1751 Posts
The classic megaman series. I didn't learn about Megaman till the first X game came out.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Earthbound, Popful Mail, and Panzer Dragoon Saga only because they're so expensive now. I like discovering old games and having fun with them so not really much else.
digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#11 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

Shadowrun for the SNES, I remember watching my mom play it but that was as close as I ever got until much much later.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

The ps2 Persona games. If I would've paid more attention to them back then, I'd probably be a fan of the series.

311Music

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 311Music
Member since 2003 • 7919 Posts

All the classic Sega Genesis games, especially the quirky niche games like "Toe Jam and Earl". Being a Nintendo kid growing up, I never played anything Sega except my friend's 200lbs Game Gear.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
Oh, quite a few!: Silent Hill (well, I did used to own the original... and even as a fan of RE, SH was way too hard for me. That's about to change though, with the Silent Hill HD games and I will buy the original on the PS1 too. Goldeneye 007 WWF No Mercy, WrestleMania 2000 and Royal Rumble. All of these (and GoldenEye) being exclusives to the N64, I never had the chance. I still have yet to play ALL of those games, surprisingly... being a big wrestling fan as well. Wolfenstein 3D (well maybe not technically when it was released since it came out SO long ago. But I definately wish I played it along with Doom for the PS1. I will download it on XBLA one day when I've got no other game to play at that moment in time. Those are the ones that come to mind :).
Nismology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nismology
Member since 2009 • 649 Posts
Spyro. I know I would have been obsessed with that game if I had it when it came out :)
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

So many games... But I wish I could've played Final Fantasy VII back when it first came out, as well as the first two Medal of Honors...

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#18 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

OoT, FFVI, SM64, SMB3.

And Resident evil. So I could have the crap scared outta me by the dog through the window. I mean, that part is simply not scary anymore, because of how well it is known and how famous it is.

amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts
Spyro. I know I would have been obsessed with that game if I had it when it came out :)Nismology
Now that's one game I had the pleasure of playing when it came out. That was my favorite game on the PS1 back then, and still is now. I spent countless hours playing the Spyro games. My most memorable one would probably be Spyro 2. Tons of fun there.
Bick_Dutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bick_Dutt
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Pong
Nismology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nismology
[QUOTE="Nismology"]Spyro. I know I would have been obsessed with that game if I had it when it came out :)amari24
Now that's one game I had the pleasure of playing when it came out. That was my favorite game on the PS1 back then, and still is now. I spent countless hours playing the Spyro games. My most memorable one would probably be Spyro 2. Tons of fun there.

Spyro 2 is my favourite 3D platformer, and easily in my Top 10 games of all time ;) I do remember seeing it in a catalogue when it came out back in 1998, and really wanted it, and I mean, really wanted it, but I wasn't allowed a games console back then >:( This year, I came across it again on the internet, and the same day, I went and bought a PS1 with Spyro, just to play it! I now have the complete trilogy in almost mint condition :3
Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
[QUOTE="Nismology"]Spyro. I know I would have been obsessed with that game if I had it when it came out :)amari24

On the topic of Spyro, for some reason I could never get in to it that much. Coming from somebody who likes Crash Bandicoot and Croc, from what come to mind. Somebody on the last page mentioned Resident Evil and the dog jumping through the window, which made me think of something. I miss the scary feeling we get when we play games when we were younger. I mean, sure, RE is still a creepy game at times (mainly the old ones, unsurprisingly), but they miss that classic genuinely scared all the time feeling :(. One of the worst places was in RE2 when all of those zombies come crashing through that window when you're on your way back downstairs... still gets me now, sometimes *shiver*. :P
Nismology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nismology
[QUOTE="Ashley_wwe"] On the topic of Spyro, for some reason I could never get in to it that much. Coming from somebody who likes Crash Bandicoot and Croc, from what come to mind.

:( I like it much better than Crash, and I've never bothered with Croc. Something about it just screams mediocrity. Try Spyro: Year of the Dragon, You may like that one better than the others. It's one of the more colourful PS1 games.
DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
Star Wars Trilogy the Arcade Game from Sega Firefox Cliff Hanger (not movie)
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#25 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I almost forgot to mention Silent Hill 2. The twist is probably 100 times more amazing if you don't know it's coming.

Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

All of them

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Wow, I'm getting old. Played Super Mario Bros while the NES was still relatively new.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Of course playing the games when they come out is a much greater experience than playing them years later but I personally can appreciate games for what they are and can imagine how groundbreaking they were back then.

Also I think it's worth noting that good games are like good wine - with age they can become even better.

Branmuffin316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Branmuffin316
Member since 2009 • 1208 Posts

Doom (granted I was only 4 months old when it came out).

kyuss015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 kyuss015
Member since 2006 • 293 Posts

Radiant Silvergun. I am American, but the Idea of going through the import process and playing it would have such a treat. In addition, stateside, I would have to owned the Master System. I can't say I like it more than the NES, but I fiugre since I like the SNES and Genesis roughly the same, I would have loved this little system. I would have ben great to collect for both when they were new.Alex Kidd, Sonic, Outrun, Fantasy Zone, Space Harrier and R-type would have been Amazing.

jefferyjosephh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jefferyjosephh
Member since 2005 • 71 Posts

I'm in my mind 40's. I've experienced all of the legacy systems and big games that came out at the time.

I also saw the original star war movies in the theater, as well as movies like Jaws, Rocky, etc when they originally came out.

That's why I am a legacy gamer.......the games were so much better back then. Most of the games today bore the heck out of me.

Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

System Shock. I only played two areas of the game, and they were brilliant. Too bad it crashes constantly and the controls are rubbish. One of the most terrifying games I've ever played (not quite Amnesia, but definitely more than Deadspace or Fear).

And the Halo series. I just can't get into them at all. :|

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Metal Gear Solid. Played it few years ago and was exteremely impressed and engaged with it. I'm pretty sure the feeling would be 3x that if I had it upon release.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

I can't believe I never bought Rayman 2: The Great Escape back when I had my first Dreamcast. I just bought another Dreamcast and Rayman 2, and it is such a great game, I can't believe I missed it. I played all the other DC classics growing up except this one, it is definitely a must have.