Last gen games that are better than their current gen counterparts.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
So I've been spending some quality time with my beloved last gen game console. The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and Spiderman 2, mainly. I also recently acquired The Amazing Spiderman on my beloved current gen console. This underlined something strange in my mind. The Amazing Spiderman has an Arkham-style combat system, but in lieu of Batman's snazzy(and wildly unpleasant-looking) combo finishers, Spiderman has a remarkably unreliable single-button-press-activated Signature Move. Spiderman also reverted to swinging from the clouds and the on-rails webswing from every Spiderman game before Spiderman 2 and nearly every one after. Spiderman 2, on the other hand, revolutionized the entire concept of Spiderman in the virtual space- changing web slinging from holding down a direction and a button and watching a canned animation to scanning the skyline for an anchor point and playing angles and velocity to determine whether you're rocketing through the city or soaring above it. Combat also brought the first iteration(to my knowledge) of the dodge maneuver which would then evolve into what videogame history is sure to remember as The Arkham Counterstrike. Beyond that, Spiderman had an entire movelist that varied by charging moves, using the sprint modifier, and an entire subset of web maneuvers. The general consensus on The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction vs 2008's Incredible Hulk movie tie-in is pretty similar- updated graphics but a much narrower moveset. I haven't scored my own copy of The Incredible Hulk, so I can't weigh in personally, but Metacritic scores for the two games are 80s vs 50s. What about you guys? Have you played any games this generation that made you feel little besides the urge to dust off your xbox/ps2/'cube and load up the prequel/previous game based on the same character?
Sparky04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Sparky04
Member since 2006 • 3390 Posts

I was disappointed with how Ninja Gaiden fell apart. Ninja Gaiden Black might still be the best action sword fighting game of all time, the only other I could think of would be Bayonetta. Anyway, Ninja Gaiden 2 was a completely unbalanced mess that frequently strung out less content in ways that felt counter intuitive to the strengths of the game, ala having ranged only fights in a game where the close quarters combat was really great, and a story that was not only bad but completely in your face. 

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

Resident Evil 4 poops on anything with the RE name these days.

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

splinter cell double agent, holy hell the one on xbox was a completely different and superior game to the 360 version. it actually felt like a sequel to chaos theory vs the downgrade and emphasis on combat. theres a few other but i cant think of them right now

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 El_Zo1212o

splinter cell double agent, holy hell the one on xbox was a completely different and superior game to the 360 version. it actually felt like a sequel to chaos theory vs the downgrade and emphasis on combat. theres a few other but i cant think of them right now

Djmaster214
The 360 version? Are you talking about the xbox vs 360 versions of Double Agent or are you talking about Double Agent vs Conviction?
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Street Fighter III is better than Street Fighter IV by the widest margin any game was ever better than any other.
Systems_Id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Systems_Id
Member since 2002 • 8156 Posts

Way too many list. WAYYY too many. 

The only current generation game that's better than its last generation counterpart that I can think of is Shin Megami Tensei IV, which is probably the best RPG Atlus has ever put out.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

The Resident Evil and Splinter Cell series's obvioulsy, but also San Andreas.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

san andreas > gta 4

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 El_Zo1212o

The Resident Evil and Splinter Cell series's obvioulsy, but also San Andreas.

RageQuitter69
I owned GTA4 for a couple of years- never played the campaign past getting to my apartment. It was all about the multiplayer and I was okay with that. I personally had the most fun I've ever had playing GTA in that damn multiplayer mode. And I used to swap player skins and retool the vehicle physics in GTA3. Not to mention loading up my mp3s into the game. But that's me. On a semi related note, I think it's time for a new Punisher game.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

san andreas > gta 4

drekula2

yes this one.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

Very surprised I'm the first to name Devil May Cry, namely DMC3, for painfully obvious reasons.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

In some cases, that's freaking obvious.

For example...

The following Final Fantasy games...

FFI, FFII, FFIII, FFIV, FFV, FFVI, FFVII, FFIX, and FFX > FFVIII, FFXI, FFXII, FFXIII and its sequels.

Enough said.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I would WRPG as a whole. Lately they been removing the role playing from them and replaying with interactive story and pretending to be the character through moral and dialog picks.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 El_Zo1212o

I would WRPG as a whole. Lately they been removing the role playing from them and replaying with interactive story and pretending to be the character through moral and dialog picks.

wiouds
What was a WRPG last gen?
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ReddestSkies

wiouds

Awesome post on so many levels.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ReddestSkies

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

El_Zo1212o

He's a joke account. But he's semi-right: WRPG dialogues are worse. They went from this

1-BG2SoAch4032.jpg

To this:

mass-effect-review-20071118101316811_640

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="wiouds"]

ReddestSkies

He's a joke account. But he's semi-right: WRPG dialogues are worse. They went from this

1-BG2SoAch4032.jpg

To this:

Need a console example. Generations are irrelevant to PC gaming.
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ReddestSkies

Need a console example. Generations are irrelevant to PC gaming.El_Zo1212o

The dumbing down of the WRPG genre coincides with its arrival on consoles. It's essentially been stagnating since then, dialogue-wise for the most part. A before/after pic comparison can only be made with games that came out before the Xbox 1.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wiouds

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] What was a WRPG last gen?El_Zo1212o

1-BG2SoAch4032.jpg

To this:

I measure PC games using the generation system as well. After is no official ruling for what a gaming generation encapsulates.

In the KotoR I had option to control my characters role within a class. The problem is that I lost that in ME2. ME2 had only two choices that affect your characters role and one was very limited.

My problem is that this gen seems to push the moral and dialog picks while taking out how I can role play my character. You can have a good RPG even if the main character is premade and there are not dialog or moral picks. Many new WRPG seem to be taking out a large amount of out of combat skill that does not about chatting with a NPC, crafting, or unlocking.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

1-BG2SoAch4032.jpg

To this:

wiouds

I measure PC games using the generation system as well. After is no official ruling for what a gaming generation encapsulates.

In the KotoR I had option to control my characters role within a class. The problem is that I lost that in ME2. ME2 had only two choices that affect your characters role and one was very limited.

My problem is that this gen seems to push the moral and dialog picks while taking out how I can role play my character. You can have a good RPG even if the main character is premade and there are not dialog or moral picks. Many new WRPG seem to be taking out a large amount of out of combat skill that does not about chatting with a NPC, crafting, or unlocking.

I blame EA for the change from ME to ME2- EA clearly wanted it to be a shooter with the same conversation system. It's why I never finished 2 and never even considered playing 3.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] Need a console example. Generations are irrelevant to PC gaming.ReddestSkies

The dumbing down of the WRPG genre coincides with its arrival on consoles. It's essentially been stagnating since then, dialogue-wise for the most part. A before/after pic comparison can only be made with games that came out before the Xbox 1.

Then it isn't applicable to the topic. The topic itself is console-based due to it's reliance on generations which is a measurement applied strictly to console games.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Punch Out!!
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] Need a console example. Generations are irrelevant to PC gaming.El_Zo1212o

I blame EA for the change from ME to ME2- EA clearly wanted it to be a shooter with the same conversation system. It's why I never finished 2 and never even considered playing 3.

That is just an example. I blame the game developer. It not the only games that happen to. I am just saying as it seems that WRPG have gotten worse this gen and I do add PC game into the generation talks. As I said before My problem is that many WRPG seem to relay on pretending the character while  removing how you can role play your character.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

Splinter cell conviction was a great game. Just becaue it was different than the older games doesn't mean it wasn't a great game, just like Dead Space 1 vs. Dead Space 2. I also wouldn't say that DMC is a good example, just cause DMC 3 may have been the best doesn't mean 4 and "5" weren't really good games. Both critic and consumer (for the most part) enjoyed those games.

As for the topic, Resident Evil is the only one I can think of. Surprised no one said Halo.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
  • Resident Evil Remake
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Metroid Prime
  • Metroid Prime 2
  • Prince of Persia Sands of Time
  • Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
  • Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
  • Battlefield 2 and 2142
  • Rainbow Six Raven Shield
  • Devil May Cry 3
  • Silent Hill 2 and 3
  • Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
  • Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Honestly a lot of games from last gen had weaker successors.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 El_Zo1212o
  • Resident Evil Remake
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Metroid Prime
  • Metroid Prime 2
  • Battlefield 2 and 2142
  • Devil May Cry 3
  • Silent Hill 2 and 3

jg4xchamp
Seems odd, doesn't it? Shouldn't newer hardware enable devs to make better games? Also, are you suggesting that Fire Emblem: Awakening isn't the best Fire Emblem since the Sacred Stones on GBA?
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Metamania

Splinter cell conviction was a great game. Just becaue it was different than the older games doesn't mean it wasn't a great game, just like Dead Space 1 vs. Dead Space 2. I also wouldn't say that DMC is a good example, just cause DMC 3 may have been the best doesn't mean 4 and "5" weren't really good games. Both critic and consumer (for the most part) enjoyed those games.

As for the topic, Resident Evil is the only one I can think of. Surprised no one said Halo.

firefox59

The thing is, people cannot and will not accept change. They prefer the older styles to their favorite franchises. Me, on the other hand, I try to find at least ONE GOOD THING about the next game in itself while playing it, but even that one redeeming quality won't save it fully. Splinter Cell Conviction was the first game I played in the franchise and immediately fell in love with it. People, since then, on the boards, have told me to play the older games. I don't know if I ever will...I even tried Double Agent and I couldn't get into it as much as I wanted to, which leads me to my next point - even if the older games may be better for some people, it may not be better for other folks like me.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RageQuitter69

firefox59
The people who think that Splinter Cell Crapviction is great do not understand, the developers turned a stealth series into a third person shooter series and now the stealth genre is dying.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#30 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Silent Hill, Splinter Cell, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Alien versus Predator, Ninja Gaiden, Final Fantasy, etc etc.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 firefox59

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

Metamania

The thing is, people cannot and will not accept change. They prefer the older styles to their favorite franchises. Me, on the other hand, I try to find at least ONE GOOD THING about the next game in itself while playing it, but even that one redeeming quality won't save it fully. Splinter Cell Conviction was the first game I played in the franchise and immediately fell in love with it. People, since then, on the boards, have told me to play the older games. I don't know if I ever will...I even tried Double Agent and I couldn't get into it as much as I wanted to, which leads me to my next point - even if the older games may be better for some people, it may not be better for other folks like me.

A lot of that is nostalgia. If those people could go back and experience those games new now, it would be a different experience. I agree though about Conviction. The great thing about Blacklist is that you can play it like conviction or stealth through the entire game like the older ones.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 firefox59
[QUOTE="firefox59"]

RageQuitter69
The people who think that Splinter Cell Crapviction is great do not understand, the developers turned a stealth series into a third person shooter series and now the stealth genre is dying.

You kinda responded with a statement that shows the exact point I was making lol. It's a different type of game, doesn't mean it sucks. Ubisoft isn't solely responsible for the stealth genre dying.... Also, there were plenty of great stealth games this gen.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

• Resident Evil Remake
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Metroid Prime
  • Metroid Prime 2
  • Battlefield 2 and 2142
  • Devil May Cry 3
  • Silent Hill 2 and 3

El_Zo1212o

Seems odd, doesn't it? Shouldn't newer hardware enable devs to make better games? Also, are you suggesting that Fire Emblem: Awakening isn't the best Fire Emblem since the Sacred Stones on GBA?

I would say yes to Awakening. I think it's a good game, but I think it's severely lacking in mission variety in comparison to Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance(albeit yes PoR was the easiest Fire Emblem). That said I was more comparing Path of Radiance to Radiant Dawn. 3DS is technically part of the WiiU/Xbox One/PS4 era no?

And as far as franchises dropping off, not necessarily. People could leave the time, there is fatigue, the team ran out of ideas, they get complacent, some of the overall execution just isn't the same, the change of direction wasn't for the best, etc, etc, and up and new comers. PS1 era games didn't all transfer to be successful in the PS2 era. Mario 64 was what it was, but then compare that to how people reacted to Sunshine. Or the fall off for Crash and Spyro and Tomb Raider and Syphon Filter, etc. On the other hand GTA was a whatever game during the PS1 era, and then come PS2 era it became the juggernaut that it is today.

Newer hardware means tech, and sometimes they assume that's all the game needed was improved physics, or visuals, or better production value, but they really didn't ask themselves how the overall game needed to improve. Some devs pull it off in spades and others never do. Plus you can't expect someone to just bounce back from an all time cIassic and the sequel will be as good. That type of consistency just isn't gonna happen.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

• Resident Evil Remake
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Metroid Prime
  • Metroid Prime 2
  • Battlefield 2 and 2142
  • Devil May Cry 3
  • Silent Hill 2 and 3

jg4xchamp

I would say yes to Awakening. I think it's a good game, but I think it's severely lacking in mission variety in comparison to Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance(albeit yes PoR was the easiest Fire Emblem). That said I was more comparing Path of Radiance to Radiant Dawn. 3DS is technically part of the WiiU/Xbox One/PS4 era no?

And as far as franchises dropping off, not necessarily. People could leave the time, there is fatigue, the team ran out of ideas, they get complacent, some of the overall execution just isn't the same, the change of direction wasn't for the best, etc, etc, and up and new comers. PS1 era games didn't all transfer to be successful in the PS2 era. Mario 64 was what it was, but then compare that to how people reacted to Sunshine. Or the fall off for Crash and Spyro and Tomb Raider and Syphon Filter, etc. On the other hand GTA was a whatever game during the PS1 era, and then come PS2 era it became the juggernaut that it is today.

Newer hardware means tech, and sometimes they assume that's all the game needed was improved physics, or visuals, or better production value, but they really didn't ask themselves how the overall game needed to improve. Some devs pull it off in spades and others never do. Plus you can't expect someone to just bounce back from an all time cIassic and the sequel will be as good. That type of consistency just isn't gonna happen.

I forgot about Radiant Dawn- never bought a Wii, you know. What I meant by starting this whole thread wasn't so much about different efforts by the same studios or just saying sequels suck or anything- it's a bit harder to illustrate unless you stick to the original examples- super hero games. Batman: Arkham is the epitome of Batman as a videogame- it captures his combat prowess, his myriad gadgets, his ninja stealth skills, fright tactics and his absolute willingness to lay the hurt on petty criminals left, right and center. Arkham City took everything that was great about Asylum and added to it. They even perfected Batman's traversal method. Origins seems to be sticking with the "add stuff, remove nothing" idea. Then look at Spiderman 2 vs Amazing Spiderman- I believe nothing is as important to a superhero game as getting the defining characteristic of the hero in question perfect. When you think Spiderman, what do you think of? Webs. Particularly him swinging around town on them, but also him trying up badguys or constructing weaponsor traps or what have you. Web slinging in Spiderman 2 was a skill- something to be practiced and perfected until you felt like Spiderman flying around over the city. In the Amazing Spiderman game, as in most(if not all) games after Spiderman 2, it was dumbed down to the point where it was just a tedious time sink getting from one mission to the next. In combat, Spiderman 2 had moves like impact webbing for instantly immobilizing your enemies, web rodeo for clearing space and tossing baddies ridiculous distances, the webslam and web hang follow up. Amazing Spiderman had the signature move(which as I said in the OP is so unreliable as to be nearly useless) rapid fire web shots and a throw. Yeah, the signature move animations could be slick, but you never really felt in control of the action. I felt more like a high powered luchador than a superhero with an arachnid aesthetic.
RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RageQuitter69

[QUOTE="RageQuitter69"][QUOTE="firefox59"]

firefox59

You kinda responded with a statement that shows the exact point I was making lol. It's a different type of game, doesn't mean it sucks. Ubisoft isn't solely responsible for the stealth genre dying.... Also, there were plenty of great stealth games this gen.

If Conviction was released for a different series other than the Splinter Cell series, then opinions would be different, unlike Resident Evil 5, which is just garbage what ever way you look at it. You said there were plenty of great stealth games this gen, list them all then?

JohnTheGrudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JohnTheGrudge
Member since 2013 • 27 Posts
Stuntman was vastly superior to it's current gen sequel. The sequel wasn't developed by the same people and was terrible.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 firefox59

[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="RageQuitter69"] The people who think that Splinter Cell Crapviction is great do not understand, the developers turned a stealth series into a third person shooter series and now the stealth genre is dying.RageQuitter69

If Conviction was released for a different series other than the Splinter Cell series, then opinions would be different, unlike Resident Evil 5, which is just garbage what ever way you look at it. You said there were plenty of great stealth games this gen, list them all then?

So you're saying that the general opinion is that people didn't like Conviction because it had the Splinter Cell name? That I'd agree with, but the point is that people should look beyond that and it's their fault for buying a game just because of the name when sooo many franchises have changed from what they originally did. Stealth games include Deus Ex: Human Rev, Dishonored, Assassin's Creed 1 (i consider it stealth), Mark of the Ninja, HItman i guess?, Ghost Recon: FS is basically stealth, the Arkham games have solid stealth components, etc. There were never really that many pure only stealth games but there are a bunch with solid stealth elements.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#38 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
Battlefront 2 is stil the best third person shooter i have played and hasn't been trumphed this gen
Zuzuvela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zuzuvela
Member since 2013 • 1993 Posts
Mercinaries (Loved the original,the 2nd one was awful) Resident Evil Brothers in Arms (Still loved it,just not the same and was a bad job of trying to streamline it, from the tactical map becoming useless and dead soldiers respawning at each checkpoint)
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

RageQuitter69

I've played every Splinter Cell and Conviction is tied for my favorite, the other being Chaos Theory.

The Deniable Ops portion of Conviction is actually one of the best stealth experiences ever made, period.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="Zuzuvela"]Mercinaries (Loved the original,the 2nd one was awful) Resident Evil Brothers in Arms (Still loved it,just not the same and was a bad job of trying to streamline it, from the tactical map becoming useless and dead soldiers respawning at each checkpoint)

The original was pretty great, but World in Flames was hardly 'awful.' It was the same game, but with a lighter tone and a lighter setting.
sniper_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 sniper_99
Member since 2004 • 2820 Posts

san andreas > gta 4

drekula2
I agree, campaign was too boring and way too serious imo and they took all the fun stuff out
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Final Fantasy X, X-2 and XII > Final Fantasy XIII

God of War II > God of War: Ascension

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Metamania

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

RageQuitter69

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold up a second.

You are saying that Conviction is the cause of the "stealth genre dying" Since WHEN? You make it sound like once Conviction turned into what you called a "third-person shooter" series, the stealth genre just withered and died so fast.

Such BS. If you aren't into Conviction whatsoever, there are PLENTY of other stealth games to keep you occupied out there. Mark Of The Ninja, the Assassin's Creed series, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, the Metal Gear Solid series, and so on. Can you explain how in the unholy f*** has the stealth genre "died" when there are PLENTY of stealth games out there to be discovered and played? You are simply, IMO and WADR, a bit too narrow-minded and have tunnel vision about the whole subject. If I were you,l I'd wake up and play what else is out there instead of complaining about a dead horse.

Grammaton-Cleric is correct - the Deniale Ops campaign, in Conviction, is one of the best stealth experiences to offer and the campaign in itself also offers lots and lots of stealth. There are moments where you are forced to kill as part of the storyline, but I've watched Youtube vidoes of players ghosting through all the missions without having to touch a single enemy. Do you still call that a "TPS"? I don't think so. You only call it a TPS because you played it to the point of where you MAKE IT LIKE ONE. That was a choice implemented by the developer and allowed you to use it as your will. Splinter Cell Conviction, by all means, is a stealth game. You just have to not see it as a TPS and play it without killing and I'll also argue that you can still kill people without ever being detected. IMO, that also counts as stealth as well.

Quite frankly, this is a dying issue that needs to let go in the end. All of us will simply have to agree to disagree and move on. Either you like the game or you don't. It's really simple as that. So go ahead, continue to bitch and cry about the series. I'll be moving with Blacklist and maybe someday, I'll definitely go back and play the rest of the series once I find the means and the time for it. Maybe then I can see where you are coming from at that point in time, but until then, since you hate Conviction with the utmost passion, stay away from it and play other stealth games that have that element of stealth that you prefer, like Mark Of The Ninja....which by the way is an EXCELLENT game.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Not just last gen. Even current gen games from 2005 - 2007 play better than their current updates. Devs have streamlined and dumbed down a lot of games or tried to hard for realism over the past 5 years. I know Bioshock is current gen, but after playing through Infinite, I was super disappointed with how linear and dumbed down the gameplay mechanics were.Uncharted 2 compared to Uncharted 3 is another good example of utter disappointment.

Games like Mass Effect 2 compared to Mass Effect 3, ending drama aside. Sure they improved the core gameplay but they added unnecessary 'realistic' features like a weight limit that deters from just picking your guns and having fun. San Andreas compared to GTA 4 is an example of fixing things that didn't need fixing and adding 'realism' that takes away from the fu factor..

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually preferred the over-the-top nature of Red Dead Revolver to Red Dead Redemption.

The Prince of Persia Sands of Time trilogy is better than The Forgotten Sands.

San Andreas is better than GTA IV.

Splinter Cell games used to be a lot better with their stealth.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#47 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts
  • Spiderman 2
  • Ratchet and Clank 2
  • Ratchet and Clank 3
Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Yeah, pretty much.

Many games nowadays are simplified which ended up ruining them, IMO.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

Metamania

I loved conviction too but I hated that it was dumbed down stealth and  it's lack of spies vs mercs made me play it for around a week or two then never play it again. I've completed every single splinter cell and I played through them all again this year and although I loved conviction it really just isn't as good as the originals. I suggest you play the original xbox version of double agent and also chaos theory because they are much better than the 360 version of double agent. I think the main reason people love splinter cell is because of the spies vs mercs even though the single player and co-op is always great