This topic is locked from further discussion.

W3dotCOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 W3dotCOM
Member since 2005 • 1942 Posts

There has been a lot of buzz about this the last week, but I just wanted to point out that the signs were always there. In fact, Penny Arcade was this coming a year ago.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/29

cos_vanquish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 cos_vanquish
Member since 2007 • 1143 Posts

Can we keep all these Kotor MMO theories in the same thread?

It's most likely going to be Kotor, the evidence is all there. They are trying to revive their name in the MMO industry after the bomb they dropped with Galaxies. Since Kotor was their best game overall, it would only make complete since that it would be the game they create an MMO after.

hazaa54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 hazaa54
Member since 2006 • 209 Posts

Whatever they make, I will probibly love it, as Bioware is my favorite developer. Hopefully it's the KOTOR MMO, and hopefully they'll find a way to wrap up Revan's story in the KOTOR universe. I pray for the story to be finished as much as I hope the game's an mmo. If they can incorporateboth, i'll be feelin pretty damn good.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19592 Posts

I guess that they could opt for a Guild Wars-style, story-driven MMO.

That could work, assuming that it is actually a Star Wars MMO (and not one of their other licences).

aching546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 aching546
Member since 2007 • 224 Posts
if the KOTOR MMO is truly coming out, it needs to be free, well at least for pc cuz 360 will still be tapped into live. after the disaster with galaxies, they should keep the online service free.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

if the KOTOR MMO is truly coming out, it needs to be free, well at least for pc cuz 360 will still be tapped into live. after the disaster with galaxies, they should keep the online service free.aching546

It won't be free. EA didn't pay $800m primarily so that they could call dibs on a mere AAA title. They payed out that kind of money because they were expecting a return on their investment. In case you haven't figured it out, MMOs are becoming so popular to produce because they're a money mill for the company that publishes it (well, assuming they succeed anyway). Think about it: The company makes a small profit by selling the game like usual. But then they get a monthly income of $15 per person in their installed base. In the case of an MMO like WoW that has 8 million subscribers that turns into $120 million per month. Furthermore, MMO's cost money to keep running. As a result a company will actually lose money if they don't institute some kind of fee. Finally, this is EA we're talking about. They've sold cheat codes before. What makes you think they'd pass on charging a monthly fee for an MMO?

Its not like the typical $15 per month fee is that bad anyway. Its a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a $60 game every month. $15 is about two or three fast food meals. Hell, I spend about three times that amount each time I fill up my car. Its not a lot of money and if you can't afford that then you need to find another hobby.

On a somewhat related note, I don't see why so many people are wild about a KOTOR MMO. KOTOR is best played as a single player game where you have an epic plot, great character development, and the dialogue system...none of which is possible in an MMO. Also, it seems to me that half the people cheering for this MMO to be the next KOTOR game are under the increadibly naive delusion that it will be a free MMO (which as I already explained there's no chance in hell it will be. And knowing EA I wouldn't be surprised if it was a $20 per month fee). Anyway, I really hope this MMO isn't a KOTOR game. While the idea of a Jedi vs. Sith MMO sounds cool, in the end its not going to play all that great. Like every other MMO in existence its going to require weeks upon months of grinding to get anywhere, and even then only a very small "elite" portion of players will actually get to see the best content. And on top of that we won't get to see KOTOR III until this MMO finally dies (just look at what happened to the Warcraft series).

shufu7-11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 shufu7-11
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts

[QUOTE="aching546"]if the KOTOR MMO is truly coming out, it needs to be free, well at least for pc cuz 360 will still be tapped into live. after the disaster with galaxies, they should keep the online service free.gameguy6700

It won't be free. EA didn't pay $800m primarily so that they could call dibs on a mere AAA title. They payed out that kind of money because they were expecting a return on their investment. In case you haven't figured it out, MMOs are becoming so popular to produce because they're a money mill for the company that publishes it (well, assuming they succeed anyway). Think about it: The company makes a small profit by selling the game like usual. But then they get a monthly income of $15 per person in their installed base. In the case of an MMO like WoW that has 8 million subscribers that turns into $120 million per month. Furthermore, MMO's cost money to keep running. As a result a company will actually lose money if they don't institute some kind of fee. Finally, this is EA we're talking about. They've sold cheat codes before. What makes you think they'd pass on charging a monthly fee for an MMO?

Its not like the typical $15 per month fee is that bad anyway. Its a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a $60 game every month. $15 is about two or three fast food meals. Hell, I spend about three times that amount each time I fill up my car. Its not a lot of money and if you can't afford that then you need to find another hobby.

On a somewhat related note, I don't see why so many people are wild about a KOTOR MMO. KOTOR is best played as a single player game where you have an epic plot, great character development, and the dialogue system...none of which is possible in an MMO. Also, it seems to me that half the people cheering for this MMO to be the next KOTOR game are under the increadibly naive delusion that it will be a free MMO (which as I already explained there's no chance in hell it will be. And knowing EA I wouldn't be surprised if it was a $20 per month fee). Anyway, I really hope this MMO isn't a KOTOR game. While the idea of a Jedi vs. Sith MMO sounds cool, in the end its not going to play all that great. Like every other MMO in existence its going to require weeks upon months of grinding to get anywhere, and even then only a very small "elite" portion of players will actually get to see the best content. And on top of that we won't get to see KOTOR III until this MMO finally dies (just look at what happened to the Warcraft series).

Thank you, someone finally agrees with me. KOTOR is and always will be a single player game before it's an mmo. It just doesn't seem right to me, at least not with the type of gameplay in KOTOR.

erawsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 erawsd
Member since 2002 • 6930 Posts

Anyway, I really hope this MMO isn't a KOTOR game. While the idea of a Jedi vs. Sith MMO sounds cool, in the end its not going to play all that great. Like every other MMO in existence its going to require weeks upon months of grinding to get anywhere, and even then only a very small "elite" portion of players will actually get to see the best content. And on top of that we won't get to see KOTOR III until this MMO finally dies (just look at what happened to the Warcraft series). gameguy6700

WOW hasn't held back Warcraft 4. Blizzard is just incredibly slow to release sequels. There was a huge gap between WC2 and WC3, Starcraft will be 10 years old by the time SC2 is released, and Diablo 2 may also be a decade old by the time we see its sequel.

Theres no reason there can't both be a KOTOR MMO and KOTOR 3.

FlaminDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FlaminDeath
Member since 2004 • 4181 Posts

Is it just me or is a KOTOR MMO just dissapointing?