I've never played a final fantasy game...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gmoneybball91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gmoneybball91
Member since 2008 • 365 Posts

Ive only played a bit of final fantasy 10 i think on the ps2. Am I a disgrace to gamers everywhere? If so which ones do you recommend. I own an xbox 360 and snes if that helps

phealeyh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 phealeyh
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
They're definitely worth trying out(ff7 in particular); however I do feel that jrpgs are seriously getting outdated(especially the game mechanics of ff13) when compared to wrpgs but this is of course purely a subjective matter. I think you should seriously consider ff7 a run if you have the time.
DiminixZor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DiminixZor
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

Then you sure have missed alot of great games I really recommend the games :P

midisurfmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 midisurfmind
Member since 2003 • 503 Posts

If you enjoyed what you played of FFX then the other games are certainly worth a try, FF7 probably being the main one to try, but FF6 is also really good providing you don't mind the SNES top-down style gameplay (which personally I'm not a huge fan of, but it's still an amazing game).

ubpoker123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ubpoker123
Member since 2007 • 877 Posts
Final Fantasy as a series, is without question the most overrated game series....for me, that I have played. With that being said I still had a good/great time playing "some" of the Final Fantasy games, but your definitely not a disgrace to gamers =). The Final Fantasy games I have played are 7,9,10 and 12. My favorites where 7 and 9. Not going to say that I hated 10, but I would definitely not recommend that game to anyone, EVER! As for number 12 I ejected the CD pretty much as soon as I put it in. If you own a SNES though I would get FF6, it's the third one released in the States.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I would pick up a cheap psp and download and play FF7 in your position, its a good entry into the series and it still looks good on a psp. Seeing as you own a snes you really cant go wrong with FFIV (look for final fantasy 3).

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
You may try to play SNES's Final Fantasy II and III. SNES's Final Fantasy II and III are same games as Final Fantasy IV and VI for Gameboy Advance, and Playstation.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

They're definitely worth trying out(ff7 in particular); however I do feel that jrpgs are seriously getting outdated(especially the game mechanics of ff13) when compared to wrpgs but this is of course purely a subjective matter. I think you should seriously consider ff7 a run if you have the time.phealeyh

Wow, Outdated? Seriously? Hmmm, maybe you simply donot have the patience for Turn base, as that Turnbased play is still relevant in this day and age. I also find your statements hillarious as well considering that some of the "WRPGs" use a turnbased mechanic in some form. Even Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 use it minimally as well. Lets take a look at the Vats mechanic in Fallout 3, or the way you use Biotics in Mass Effect. Also the way they used the turnbased mechanic in FFXIII was certainly not outdated and the mechanics were ore less stream lined. FFXIII used skill trees which also are used in Western Rpgs. I suggest before you make such statements you actually do some research from here on out.

Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

Compared to the depth of many WRPGs, a JRPG from that era will feel like a step backward, especially with how poor the localizations tended to be.

Since you have a SNES, I recommend Final Fantasy III (it's actually FFVI). A game with a surprisingly decent translation. Starts off pretty slowly though. My personal favourite in the series is FFII (also on SNES). Its translation is terrible and unintentionally hilarious in places, but the game itself is rather fun.

I'd stay away from FFVII; it's aged horribly and the cool plot is almost entirely ruined by the headdesk-worthy localization.

Actually, since you have a SNES, I'd recommend Chrono Trigger ahead of any FF game. It's made of pure awesome and has a translation that, while less accurate, is more unique and full of more personality than the dry one in the DS re-release.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
You should definitely give the FF series a try espcially considering you have an SNES. I'd stay away from X and XIII though, those are some of the most ridiculously linear games ever released.
sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

No, TC, you are not a disgrace to gaming. I've played FFVII VERY sparingly personally just to see what the accaim was all about. I learned that turn-based RPG gaming and random battles are not for me. My most vivid memories of that game are walking 2 steps and then having to fight someone using menus(then walking two more steps...). I am more a fan of real time combat encountersa la Shenmue, Yakuza, Onimusha, Sword of the Berzerk, etc.

However, feel no shame, JRPGs are definitely not for everyone but they do have their place and come highly recommended. I recommend giving it a go with a widely praised game like FFVII(that way if you get lost or don't understand there are TONS of game guides and people here who could help) just to see ifthat style of game is for you.

G4me_0ver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 G4me_0ver
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Of course you ain't a disgrace. There are many popular series that i haven't gotten around to yet (like MGS..).

What did you think of 10? Do you even remember? 'Cause that's the game i'd recommend. FF7 is good too and FFX-2 i don't think is a bad as everyone says.

I've played quite a few other FF's besides those but i thought they sucked. If you like wandering around getting into random battles without any story or anything to keep you going, you might want to check them out though.

MrDziekuje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 MrDziekuje
Member since 2004 • 7730 Posts

I love the FF series personally, but they aren't for every type of gamer. If you like RPGs then I'd definitely recommend getting II and III for your SNES. I haven't played XIII to give you 360 input, sorry. And I haven't played XI but you have to pay for online service (seperate from XBL) so I'd stay away from that.

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#14 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

I think you're only a disgrace to the gaming community if you ask if you can get Super Mario on Xbox.

MrDziekuje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrDziekuje
Member since 2004 • 7730 Posts

I think you're only a disgrace to the gaming community if you ask if you can get Super Mario on Xbox.

ThePerro

Well you can buy a Bob-omb tee for your avatar. That surprised the heck out of me. Aparrantly since it's Scott Pilgrim merchandise, it's okay. :/

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#16 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
Definitely look into some FF
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i beat the first one on NES and thats it.. so if your a disgrace,then i am too.

i played like 30min of FFII on snes..i plan to beat it though

Avatar image for Xenogears_Rocks
Xenogears_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 Xenogears_Rocks
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

It may be overated but it's amazing!!

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ThePerro

KBFloYd

You probably qualify as being an actual FF fan than most other fans who've only played the later releases in the series. Not many have played the original NES versions of the game.

aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#20 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
Nngh.. I see a lot of recommendations for 7, but I wouldn't go with that one until you've played the old ones first so you can decide which you like better, mostly 6. Go with 6, definitely.
Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

Eh not really.

A lot of them are extremely confusing, outlandish, and at times downright ridiculous.

I mean, the most recent major iteration in the franchise has a bunch of people who can summon giant monsters that transform into race cars and dinosaurs.

These are elements from the ****ing Power Rangers people.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KBFloYd

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

ThePerro

You probably qualify as being an actual FF fan than most other fans who've only played the later releases in the series. Not many have played the original NES versions of the game.

yea well everyone says FF started at 7.. you know :o

oh and The Doors are awesome. :)

AluRev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AluRev
Member since 2010 • 172 Posts

If you have a snes I would recommend trying to get your hands on FF6...great story, good characters, engaging combat.

KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 KillerWabbit23
Member since 2009 • 3466 Posts

FF4 and FF6, also, finish FF10.

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ThePerro

[QUOTE="ThePerro"]

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

KBFloYd

yea well everyone says FF started at 7.. you know :o

oh and The Doors are awesome. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if most kids today think that the series began with 7 :lol:

and Thanks, by the way Princess Peach is hot

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KBFloYd

and Thanks, by the way Princess Peach is hot

ThePerro

the men dont know. but that little peach understands.. back door man.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

ThePerro

Your statements are quite bold sir. I like how you say that only people who played the original FFS are true fans....really? So you cannot be a fan of any of the later games to be a fan? I suggest you learn what a fan is, its anyone that likes the series......

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#28 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

[QUOTE="phealeyh"]They're definitely worth trying out(ff7 in particular); however I do feel that jrpgs are seriously getting outdated(especially the game mechanics of ff13) when compared to wrpgs but this is of course purely a subjective matter. I think you should seriously consider ff7 a run if you have the time.TheTrueMagusX1

Wow, Outdated? Seriously? Hmmm, maybe you simply donot have the patience for Turn base, as that Turnbased play is still relevant in this day and age. I also find your statements hillarious as well considering that some of the "WRPGs" use a turnbased mechanic in some form. Even Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 use it minimally as well. Lets take a look at the Vats mechanic in Fallout 3, or the way you use Biotics in Mass Effect. Also the way they used the turnbased mechanic in FFXIII was certainly not outdated and the mechanics were ore less stream lined. FFXIII used skill trees which also are used in Western Rpgs. I suggest before you make such statements you actually do some research from here on out.

I agree with Magus here.

As for the post, please go out and play one of the Final Fantasies mentioned throughout the thread. They are amazing games. Of the more recent ones, PSX and on, My favorites are VII, VIII, and X. FFVII is extremely accessible to the new final fantasy player, but it is a little difficult to find a copy. However, there are downloads available now, which make it much easier to experience the game.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

No your not a disgrace to your fellow gamers just because you haven't played a videogame series. No one can play them all. I've never played World of Warcraft. So you never played Final Fantasy. You can start howver.

Since you own a Super Nintendo Getting a hold of the Final Fantasy games may be a bit difficult. There is Final Fantasy 2 and 3 on SNES. But They are not really FF 2 & FF3. They are really 4 & 5 which is the Japanese SNES Super Famicom releases. Plus there is The Non Cannon Final Fantasy Mystic Quest on Super Nintendo.

Since you also own Xbox 360 there is Final Fantasy 13 and On-line only Final Fanstasy 11 So you could start there.

Currently there are 14 Final Fantasy games plus spin off games such as Final Fantasy Crystal Chroncals, Final Fantasy Tactics etc. Which are not Cannon to the Storyline.

Actually all Final Fantasy games are seperate stories so you can more or less start anywhere. But These Fantasies are not Final.

YoungFlitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 YoungFlitz
Member since 2011 • 854 Posts

They are a ton of fun games. Try FF7. I say that one is probably the best Final Fantasy game.

tizmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 tizmond
Member since 2004 • 181 Posts

Yes, sir, you are in fact SCUM for having never played a Final Fantasy game !!!! lol.

VI, VII & VII are my favourites. The newer ones aren't that great.

If you do play & enjoy the FF games, I'd also recommend Shadow Hearts 1 & 2 on the PS2, but they are quite rare.

Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#32 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
It doesn't really mean anything. I wasn't a big fan of the series, but my favorite one is FF7. It's not like you're missing out on a whole lot.
Ceraby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 Ceraby
Member since 2009 • 3306 Posts

If you liked the gameplay, etc. of 10, then 7 might be a good starting point for you. I personally only liked FF6 ( or 3 , whichever you prefer to refer it to ). I'd recommend you trying that since you own an SNES but you might not like how pixelized the graphics look.

These are elements from the ****ing Power Rangers people.

-TheSecondSign-

That made me laugh :lol: :P I'm kind of sorry I did though.

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ThePerro

[QUOTE="ThePerro"]

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

TheTrueMagusX1

Your statements are quite bold sir. I like how you say that only people who played the original FFS are true fans....really? So you cannot be a fan of any of the later games to be a fan? I suggest you learn what a fan is, its anyone that likes the series......

Allow me to augment my previous statement:

You probably qualify as being a veteran FF fan, as most other fans have only played the later releases in the series. Not many have played the original NES versions of the game.

You're correct, anyone can still be a real FF fan regardless of playing the first game in the series, or playing the later releases on SNES/PS1/PS2, but it's still very true that few have played the original NES releases, and in this day and age, kids just getting into the series may think it all started with FF7, or that it didn't start on the NES/Famicom at all.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="ThePerro"]

ThePerro

You probably qualify as being a veteran FF fan, as most other fans have only played the later releases in the series. Not many have played the original NES versions of the game.

You're correct, anyone can still be a real FF fan regardless of playing the first game in the series, or playing the later releases on SNES/PS1/PS2, but it's still very true that few have played the original NES releases, and in this day and age, kids just getting into the series may think it all started with FF7, or that it didn't start on the NES/Famicom at all.

Well you should of said it the way you just did to me than previously said. As your statements are correct for the most part, though I will be bold enough to say that alot more people have played the original FF than you would believe. But the reason for that is, imo its probably one of the most ported games out there, probably almost as much as say Pacman or other games that are ported on a near regular basis. And yes I do know people who believe that FFVII was a Sony produce and the series started with seven even when the game Specifically says Final Fantasy VII thus obviously stating it was not the first in the series. But again everyone is a fan....its just that some may be fans, they simply donot know what they are talking about.

And yes you are correct I am a veteran of the series, as that I played the Original Final fantasy back in 1990 when it first came out. I also have imports of the original Famicom Final Fantasy II and III but those are not to play, those are for collectors reasons as well.

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ThePerro

[QUOTE="ThePerro"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

TheTrueMagusX1

Well you should of said it the way you just did to me than previously said. As your statements are correct for the most part, though I will be bold enough to say that alot more people have played the original FF than you would believe. But the reason for that is, imo its probably one of the most ported games out there, probably almost as much as say Pacman or other games that are ported on a near regular basis. And yes I do know people who believe that FFVII was a Sony produce and the series started with seven even when the game Specifically says Final Fantasy VII thus obviously stating it was not the first in the series. But again everyone is a fan....its just that some may be fans, they simply donot know what they are talking about.

And yes you are correct I am a veteran of the series, as that I played the Original Final fantasy back in 1990 when it first came out. I also have imports of the original Famicom Final Fantasy II and III but those are not to play, those are for collectors reasons as well.

I cannot say I'm an avid fan of the series, and thus am not a veteran really to the series. I've beaten the GBA ports of FFI and II, but I have reason to believe they are considerably easier than say, the PSP port (which I've also played but not completed once) and the original NES version. It's not the same I believe to treat the remake of the game in the same respects as the the original, since with remakes, things are changed around and sometimes the difficulty is more inviting for new gamers.

Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Fusionmix

And TrueMagus incites another debate by pulling too much meaning out of an off-hand comment. Seriously, guy, you have a talent for this.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheTrueMagusX1

And TrueMagus incites another debate by pulling too much meaning out of an off-hand comment. Seriously, guy, you have a talent for this.

Fusionmix

Yes sir, thats what I do, and though you may not like it, challenging opinion makes things far more interesting.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="ThePerro"]

ThePerro

I cannot say I'm an avid fan of the series, and thus am not a veteran really to the series. I've beaten the GBA ports of FFI and II, but I have reason to believe they are considerably easier than say, the PSP port (which I've also played but not completed once) and the original NES version. It's not the same I believe to treat the remake of the game in the same respects as the the original, since with remakes, things are changed around and sometimes the difficulty is more inviting for new gamers.

The GBA ports are quite easy to say the least. You are right though on the various ports of there are changes to the difficulty. FF is not the only one that this happened, as that recently happened to the recent remake of Lunar Silver Star Harmony where as the Silver Star Story imo was a much more challenging game. The Original is a very difficulty game and can be very touchy with the decision you make in battle. Now the PSP port I believe has an option for varying difficulty levels, but I have heard it is more challening than the GBA games. Other FF ports particular that of FFIV, V and VI are also much easier on the GBA than they are on their original forms as well. FF IV though is an oddity, as that the original game is challenging, but the PSX version is notorious for being even more difficult, and than you got the GBA version being moderate, where as I believe the original American Version of FFIV or FFII as it is known here is rather easy.

Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Fusionmix

The GBA ports are quite easy to say the least. You are right though on the various ports of there are changes to the difficulty. FF is not the only one that this happened, as that recently happened to the recent remake of Lunar Silver Star Harmony where as the Silver Star Story imo was a much more challenging game. The Original is a very difficulty game and can be very touchy with the decision you make in battle. Now the PSP port I believe has an option for varying difficulty levels, but I have heard it is more challening than the GBA games. Other FF ports particular that of FFIV, V and VI are also much easier on the GBA than they are on their original forms as well. FF IV though is an oddity, as that the original game is challenging, but the PSX version is notorious for being even more difficult, and than you got the GBA version being moderate, where as I believe the original American Version of FFIV or FFII as it is known here is rather easy.

TheTrueMagusX1

FFIV is certainly an oddity. The original SNES version (FFII) was very easy IMO, with all the secret passages highlighted in blue. No more searching the Lunar Subterrane for 10 hours to find all the treasures. The PSX version included with Chronotrigger was the original Japanese version, so it was more difficult. The GBA port was a decent challenge, but as you say it overall was pretty average in terms of difficulty.

But have you played the DS port of FFIV? It is easily the hardest handheld FF out there.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

Fusionmix

FFIV is certainly an oddity. The original SNES version (FFII) was very easy IMO, with all the secret passages highlighted in blue. No more searching the Lunar Subterrane for 10 hours to find all the treasures. The PSX version included with Chronotrigger was the original Japanese version, so it was more difficult. The GBA port was a decent challenge, but as you say it overall was pretty average in terms of difficulty.

But have you played the DS port of FFIV? It is easily the hardest handheld FF out there.

You are right, FFIV is an oddity in the series. I will concede the point that I did not mention the DS remake, but to that in a moment. From what I understand the Japanese FFIV is not as a hard as the PSX version we got here, from what I understand the game was increased some what in difficulty when they brought it here.Thats what I have read up on anyhow, but you are right I did erroneously forget to mention the DS FFIV which I do own. You are right that game is very very difficult, and I should have mentioned it as it is very challenging. I remember having a difficult time with a boss battle one right after a particular character dies in that version of the game, and I am sure you know what moment I am talking about as well. Sadly that fight was frankly a pain.