Is there a company that has ever alienated as many fanbases as Capcom?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts

Just off the top of my head, here's what they've done over the last few years

- killed off Clover Studio

- sold Devil May Cry to the Heavenly Sword guys

- sold Resident Evil to the Socom guys

- changed Jill's face and voice actor, gave Chris steroids

- released 4 versions of Street Fighter 4 in 2 years

You'd think that after screwing over so many people they'd be out of business but WTF? I can't think of any company that has ever gotten away with stuff like this.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
you also forgot that they seem to want to kill of megaman and they are to focused on winning the hearts of western gamers to see that they are losing the core fans that kept them alive all of theses years
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

I don't know a lot of people dislike Square too

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

Crapcom are easily destroying themselves by killing of some their best franchise's.

slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

Epic

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I haven't really liked what Capcom has been doing lately but I'm still glad they're around. They have brought us some great games even though they made some poor decisions.. especially in design. Resident Evil Raccoon City looks like it will be fun but I don't like the Socom guys..at all. I'm skeptical. Heavenly Sword developer Ninja Theory are good. I don't mind. Devil May Cry could use something different. DMC4 was lackluster imho. What I'm most pissed off about is the Resident Evil series. RE5 was crap. They will have to redeem themselves with RE6 to get me back. I haven't bought a game from them at full price for a long time. I've waited for sales and never paid more than $10 for their game. I've become a non-believer in Capcom.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
sold Devil May Cry to the Heavenly Sword guysistuffedsunny
That's probably the only sensible thing Capcom has done in years
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

You mean they are going to make a good Devil May Cry game? Oh noes!

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts

Sqaure Enix...

They both have the same problem their both trying to appeal to western gamers (cause thats where the bucks are at) and failing, while at the same time disappointing the die-hards.
Shady tactics on Capcom's part as well. Paying for content on disc is BS. Plus lots of poor design decisions; gameplay, mechcanics, etc... Lost Planet 2 comes to mind.

They need to step it up or bankruptcy is in their future...

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

While they've probably only alienated one fanbase I can think of (because I was in it), Namco Bandai. Selective tactics over which Tales of series to localize, generally choosing the less successful entries over the better ones. We get the X360 version of Vesperia, but not the superior PS3 version? No localized Rebirth on PSP? Heck, we're promised Tales of Graces PS3 (still a no show) while in Japan they're hyping Tales of Xillia, the next installment.

I've given up on the series thanks to Namco.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

You'd think that after screwing over so many people they'd be out of business but WTF? I can't think of any company that has ever gotten away with stuff like this.

istuffedsunny

I don't see how Capcom is screwing people out of SFIV when each version is completely different from the other. None of them are the same, except for the fundamental gameplay itself.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

[QUOTE="istuffedsunny"]

Metamania

I don't see how Capcom is screwing people out of SFIV when each version is completely different from the other. None of them are the same, except for the fundamental gameplay itself.

4 new characters for $40 is not a "completely different game" between this series and MVC you guys throw money away at them like its nothing. No wonder game companies like to rip off the consumer, you guys buy it. Besides their milking I really enjoyed Resident Evil 5, Dead Rising and Street Fighter IV so they aren't the worst company this generation or anything *COUGH* squeenix *cough*
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts

Just off the top of my head, here's what they've done over the last few years

- killed off Clover Studio

- sold Devil May Cry to the Heavenly Sword guys

- sold Resident Evil to the Socom guys

- changed Jill's face and voice actor, gave Chris steroids

istuffedsunny

You have to scratch Street Fighter IV off of the list because the players DEMANDED those revisions. To not make them would be what would alienate the SF crowd. Your numbers are off, too.

Summer 2008: Street Fighter IV (Arcade)

February 2009: Street Fighter IV (Console)

April 2010: Super Street Fighter IV

Late 2010: Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition

Late 2011: Super Street Fighter IV ver.2012

Five versions over the span of about three and a half years. That's a more staggered pace as Street Fighter II (five versions, about two and a half years), and all because of player demand.

Also, they didn't "sell" anything. They outsourced a couple of projects. It happens in this industry.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts
Capcom stopped being Capcom after they canned Clover Studios causing a mass migration of Capcom employees composed of nearly all their major talent that created some of the best known games for a decade to form Seeds Inc, now Platinum Games, so far they've made Bayonetta and Vanquished and it's not hard for me to see that's where Capcom's talent went.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="istuffedsunny"]

GodModeEnabled

4 new characters for $40 is not a "completely different game" between this series and MVC you guys throw money away at them like its nothing. No wonder game companies like to rip off the consumer, you guys buy it. Besides their milking I really enjoyed Resident Evil 5, Dead Rising and Street Fighter IV so they aren't the worst company this generation or anything *COUGH* squeenix *cough*

They didn't just put 4 characters, they rebalanced the game YET AGAIN. SFIV, SSFIV, and AE are three completely different games and SSFIV 3D, to an extent, since it's the broken characters like Honda and Guile that literally dominate that version due to the touch-screen controls implemented in the game. Plus, as DC said, Capcom didn't really screw the fans over, since the fans of the community requested these changes and get this, there's another patch coming to AE with another rebalance one more time, so I wouldn't not call it a completely different game, because it is.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarkCatalyst

A couple other things I should add. $40 for four additional characters - no. Because if you're making the jump from 35 characters to 39, it means you already have a Super Street Fighter IV disc, and therefore the upgrade to AE is only $15. It's $40 for the disc version, which you only need if 1) you never bought into SFIV in the first place ($40 to jump on), 2) you skipped Super after vanilla ($40 for 14 characters and a TON of tweaks and new moves), or 3) you're a tournament director who needs disc copies for convenience (and therefore aren't someone who is going to complain at all). Furthermore, ver.2012 is ABSOLUTELY FREE, to ALL owners of AE. No milkage here.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#17 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

They do some questionable things but their games are still good.

paranoied624

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 paranoied624
Member since 2005 • 171 Posts

they should at least bring back power stone to make up for all their hypocrisy, man was that game fun.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

THQ, Activision, Square-Enix, EA, just about all the majors as far as I can tell. Capcom isn't anything special here. Capcom might have a longer running history of angering gamers, that's all, and they do it far more colorfully.

I still remember the time they released ports of Resident Evil 2&3 to the Gamecube without any modifications with a MSRP of $39.99.:lol:

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 QuistisTrepe_

Besides their milking I really enjoyed Resident Evil 5, Dead Rising GodModeEnabled

Ah, let's not forget these. Their insistence upon trying to destroy one of their classic franchises and remaining tone-deaf to any changes that their up and coming series like Dead Rising are screaming for.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GodModeEnabled

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"] Besides their milking I really enjoyed Resident Evil 5, Dead Rising QuistisTrepe_

Ah, let's not forget these. Their insistence upon trying to destroy one of their classic franchises and remaining tone-deaf to any changes that their up and coming series like Dead Rising are screaming for.

I'm ok with where Resident Evil is at and where it is going. Part five is probably one of my favorite games this generation, but that's just personal taste. I understand peoples disappointment that the more survivor aspects, and horror elements, are not as prevalent as they used to be It just doesn't bother me when the trade off is a game so high quality. Honestly the whole tank control, older style game would probably do pretty poorly sales wise in today's game-space. I think Capcom made a brilliant move capitalizing on the more action focused direction the industry is currently in and retooling the franchise to where it needs to be to sell. Id like more puzzles sure, and maybe a survival difficulty mode where they make the ammo count again (that shouldn't be too hard to include...) I thought Dead Rising 2 was a step up from the first game, the saving system was a lot more manageable (bathrooms are always fairly close by) and the time between cases seems better too as I was able to do a lot more in the sequel without quite as much of the time issue. I really liked the sequel so im curious why you think its bad? For that matter what would have to change in Resident Evil as well?
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

Epic left their home platform, called all of their fanbase pirates and was a pioneer in the degradation of the FPS genre. They win.

They went from making very balanced fast-paced tournament-grade PC FPS to making slow, sluggish space marines chest-high walls shooters with regerating health, a 4 weapons limit and no jump button.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GodModeEnabled

Epic left their home platform, called all of their fanbase pirates and was a pioneer in the degradation of the FPS genre. They win.

They went from making very balanced fast-paced tournament-grade PC FPS to making slow, sluggish space marines chest-high walls shooters with regerating health, a 4 weapons limit and no jump button.

ReddestSkies
:lol: true but square enix man.... DEAR GOD SQUARE ENIX.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#24 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

GodModeEnabled

What's wrong with them? Final Fantasy XIII is a good game. (30 hours in and enjoying it.)

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 QuistisTrepe_

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"] Besides their milking I really enjoyed Resident Evil 5, Dead Rising GodModeEnabled

I'm ok with where Resident Evil is at and where it is going. Part five is probably one of my favorite games this generation, but that's just personal taste. I understand peoples disappointment that the more survivor aspects, and horror elements, are not as prevalent as they used to be It just doesn't bother me when the trade off is a game so high quality. Honestly the whole tank control, older style game would probably do pretty poorly sales wise in today's game-space. I think Capcom made a brilliant move capitalizing on the more action focused direction the industry is currently in and retooling the franchise to where it needs to be to sell. Id like more puzzles sure, and maybe a survival difficulty mode where they make the ammo count again (that shouldn't be too hard to include...) I thought Dead Rising 2 was a step up from the first game, the saving system was a lot more manageable (bathrooms are always fairly close by) and the time between cases seems better too as I was able to do a lot more in the sequel without quite as much of the time issue. I really liked the sequel so im curious why you think its bad? For that matter what would have to change in Resident Evil as well?

I was OK with RE4's approach, RE5 was dog ****. Not very fun and decidedly one-dimensional. Dead Rising 2 carried over the same poor pacing from the first game. I probably should have been more specific. There needs to be some challenge sure, but the awful pacing from the first game that showed itself again the in the follow up really takes the fun out of it.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 QuistisTrepe_

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

turtlethetaffer

What's wrong with them? Final Fantasy XIII is a good game.

Everything else they have done this generation, including reviving two dormant franchises just to **** all over them. (Parasite Eve and the "Ogre" series)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts
I thought Resident Evil 5 and Dead Rising 2 were both excellent games so I was quite pleased how those turned out.
BoSnerdly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BoSnerdly
Member since 2011 • 184 Posts

You couldn't be more right! And they used to be a really fan-friendly company. But somewhere in the mid/late 90s that all turned, and it's only gotten worse. I'm not even gonna start ranting about what they have and have not done... you know enough. I used to be one of the most loyal Capcom supporters (Capcom-based fan website, games tester, etc), but now I absolutely refuse to buy their games unless it's used.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
Capcom stopped being Capcom after they canned Clover Studios causing a mass migration of Capcom employees composed of nearly all their major talent that created some of the best known games for a decade to form Seeds Inc, now Platinum Games, so far they've made Bayonetta and Vanquished and it's not hard for me to see that's where Capcom's talent went.lamprey263
Very true, if there was one company that flat-out deserved to make an Devil May Cry sequel, it would be them. But noooo, they give it to the mediocre Ninja Theory instead and leave them to take a dump on it. I bet those idiots there never even knew about DMC before they got the IP, ugh.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#30 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
My personal company I like the least is Bioware. They went from BGII to DAII. It took them a long time to make a crappy game but they did it smashingly well. There's a reason that interviewers no longer question Bioware about the genre but instead just about their games.
Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#31 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
i think of srare enix. they seem to lost who their audience
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Ubisoft has completely failed at Business 101 where you are supposed to keep the customers you already have while gaining more. They throw away customers and have to grab new ones who do not know of their shenanigans.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GodModeEnabled

Ubisoft has completely failed at Business 101 where you are supposed to keep the customers you already have while gaining more. They throw away customers and have to grab new ones who do not know of their shenanigans.

WhiteKnight77
What do you mean specifically?
dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
My personal company I like the least is Bioware. They went from BGII to DAII. It took them a long time to make a crappy game but they did it smashingly well. There's a reason that interviewers no longer question Bioware about the genre but instead just about their games.smerlus
Agreed. Personally I feel DA2 was an insult.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

GodModeEnabled

What do you mean specifically?

Business 101 pretty much means that to earn money, a company needs a product and someone to buy said product. Once a business has said customers, they need to keep said customers and attract more. This is done with a new and improved product. This way the company gets the old customers to buy the new product as well as new customers buying the new product.

Ubisoft doesn't necessarily improve on it's products, but completely redesigns them. A good example of this is Rainbow Six. It was one type of game when first released, but as Ubi took over, it moved from a multi-member squad, multi-team based game where you could play any character to just a multi-member squad based game where only one member could be played. Not to mention the complete change in direction of gameplay.

The same could be said of the Silent Hunter series. The latest iteration of the game allows gamers to magically extend the range of torpedoes. :question: :question: :question: :?

With video games, sequels should advance a series, not take it backwards. Ubi taking games backwards instead of improving on them, tosses the built in customer base that they have for said franchise and throws them out and tries to gain new customers with the crappy sequels. The problem is, they are crappy versions of popular games that are better.

This doesn't take into account the fact that they release unfinished and buggy games.

Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

Please, Capcom are amatures.

EA had a long history of buying up smaller successful developers and shelving almost all of their very popular and successful titles.

LucasArts actually told PC gamers that the PC wasn't strong enough to run Force Unleashed and then turned around and released it on the Playstation 2 which was about 5 years old at the time.

norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

Capcom needs to bring us back the original Megaman, and Legends Megaman. I think the Megaman X series officially came to a close after Megaman Zero 4 right? Or do the ZX series count as the X series as well? Anyway, my opinion on Capcom is that they stopped caring about what we actually want in a game and give us what the new gamers want in a game. By new gamers I am talking about the PS3, 360 generation of kids and teens who want the best graphics, the biggest explosions and the most linear gameplay. The new generation probably don't really care about survival horror which is why the Resident Evil series really took a huge step OUT of the Survival Horror genre and has become an action adventure game. I played Resident Evil 5 and pretty much nerd raged after about an hour in the game. I thought playing it with a friend would be neat since it has multiplayer and it just disappointed me even further. The Megaman series has become somewhat of a Pokemon series with different versions being released and with its new battling system. The cancelling of Megaman Legends 3 has got to be the move Capcom did that made me drop their name out of my list of favorite video game companies. It was not only that though, I looked at the new Project Raccoon City trailer and noticed that it looks like a mix between Resident Evil Outbreak and Metal Gear Solid 2, and as everyone mentioned the disappointment of RE since RE4, and the unnecessary ammount of SF4 releases.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DarkCatalyst
No one who is not an active part of the fighting game community has any business saying what is a necessary amount of SFIV releases. All these releases came from DEMAND. Super SFIV: Players DEMANDED a rebalancing of the SFIV cast and a host of additional characters. Arcade Edition: Japanese players DEMANDED an arcade version of Super. The project took on a life of its own and became a third version. 2012 Edition: Players worldwide DEMANDED a rebalancing of Arcade Edition, which was slanted in favor of three or four characters. ALL were necessary.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
I dunno I'm a big Capcom fan and I'm a huge fan of the games they are releasing lately.
norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

No one who is not an active part of the fighting game community has any business saying what is a necessary amount of SFIV releases. All these releases came from DEMAND. Super SFIV: Players DEMANDED a rebalancing of the SFIV cast and a host of additional characters. Arcade Edition: Japanese players DEMANDED an arcade version of Super. The project took on a life of its own and became a third version. 2012 Edition: Players worldwide DEMANDED a rebalancing of Arcade Edition, which was slanted in favor of three or four characters. ALL were necessary.DarkCatalyst

Ok well, besides the SFIV releases I still stand by my word about the rest. It still doesn't change the fact that Capcom is a money hungry company giving us minimal effort on all of the releases, and I say that BECAUSE of the high demand of SFIV releases.

KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts
They are as bad as they've always been, just check how many versions of SFII they have released. Copied from the Wiki article: Street Fighter II was followed by a series of updated versions, each refining the play mechanics, graphics, character roster and other aspects of the game. The first was Street Fighter II: Champion Edition, released for the arcades in 1992, which allowed players to control the four Grand Masters and same character matches (1 game, 1 year). This was followed by Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting during the same year, which increased the playing speed and gave some of the characters new special moves (2 games, 1 year). Super Street Fighter II was released in 1993, which marked the change to the more advanced CP System II, allowing for fully revamped graphics and music, while introducing four new characters (1 game, 1 year). Super Street Fighter II Turbo was released in 1994 and was the last of the Street Fighter II releases for the arcades, which introduced powered-up special moves called Super Combos and added a new hidden character (1 game, 1 year). 4 re-releases on a 3 year period, each one was priced at 50-70 dollars, notice how much nicer Capcom are now than before in terms of costs?
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DarkCatalyst

[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]No one who is not an active part of the fighting game community has any business saying what is a necessary amount of SFIV releases. All these releases came from DEMAND. Super SFIV: Players DEMANDED a rebalancing of the SFIV cast and a host of additional characters. Arcade Edition: Japanese players DEMANDED an arcade version of Super. The project took on a life of its own and became a third version. 2012 Edition: Players worldwide DEMANDED a rebalancing of Arcade Edition, which was slanted in favor of three or four characters. ALL were necessary.norm41x

Ok well, besides the SFIV releases I still stand by my word about the rest. It still doesn't change the fact that Capcom is a money hungry company giving us minimal effort on all of the releases, and I say that BECAUSE of the high demand of SFIV releases.

Hard to say on that note. Fighting gamers never accept a first release as a long-term edition (balance is so hard to achieve that you're never going to get it right the first time, even the first SF2, SF3, and SFZ/SFA games sucked horribly). Apart from Ono's experiment with AE, Capcom really did an outstanding job with vanilla (best-balanced first edition of any fighting game ever) and Super (a game with 35 characters and not a single matchup worse than 7-3). I guess you'd just have to know the community better to understand how this all came about.
Avatar image for deactivated-58df4522915cb
deactivated-58df4522915cb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-58df4522915cb
Member since 2007 • 5527 Posts

they killed megaman legends 3 and blamed the fans for "not contributing enough" which is funny because its not like they are actual GAME DEVELOPERS or anything! grrr -__-

so yeah, id say the bulk of injustice has been done to the fans by crapcom