Is playing video games a waste of time?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mikethechimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mikethechimp
Member since 2008 • 1038 Posts

Have you ever asked yourself 'What use is my habit of playing video games to anyone but myself?'

or 'How is playing video games going to help me meet my long-term goals, e.g. staying healthy, getting into a good school, finding a steady job,.. ?'

I know it's hypocitical of me to make this thread being a gamer and all, but this is a subject I've been thinking of lately. I'd like to hear what people think. (be honest, don't enter self-denial once your realize how much time you've wasted. I'm regretful too)

Zelos-W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Zelos-W
Member since 2005 • 408 Posts
Well, considering I'm in Uni doing Games Design I think it helps out a lot. I can see how and what the developers have done and why. How they went about making a certain model, why the put things where they are. But still, it's also enjoyable and kills spare time in a way you have fun. As long as it doesn't rule your life then its all good. i.e. getting in the way of going out with mates, not going the gym and gaming all day, lack of food due to being glued to your screen.
rjxtian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 rjxtian
Member since 2005 • 2638 Posts

I think you asked a fair question. I'd hate to say that games are a good way of killing time; I'd rather say they are a good way of having fun in your spare time.

I'd also rather not see people using all their spare time on games, but as one way of rewarding yourself for all the hard work that you do.

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
I don't regret a second, it's a good way to pass the time, and to be completely honest if I wasn't playing videogames I'd be sleeping, watching TV, or doing something else unproductive to pass the time. Most of my videogaming is done during my down time, and during my down time I don't do anything worthwhile, nor do I want to, so videogaming is a great way to spend that downtime, I consider it a hobby and most hobbies are time wasters, but if you enjoy what you're doing then do it I say.
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Is being entertained a waste of time?

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Pixel-Perfect
Well said.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
No of course not. But it will become even worse, a waste of life, IF you get addicted to it (playing too much). Too much of anything is never good.
m0tl3ysl4y3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 m0tl3ysl4y3r
Member since 2009 • 269 Posts

as long as you enjoy it and don't neglect other stuff, then keep playing them

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts

Yes. However I would like to say that playing videogames is one of the best ways to waste time.

Mikethechimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mikethechimp

I can think of more benefitial ways to entertain yourself.. like playing certain sports.. (no offense Wii players)

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts

I can think of more benefitial ways to entertain yourself.. like playing certain sports.. (no offence Wii players)

Mikethechimp
If playing sports entertains you, which is to say that not everybody loves sports.
jamessain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jamessain
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
In my personal opinion, video games are not a waste of time IF you are not addicted and sit in front of the playstation, xbox, etc the whole day! Video games, just like T.V. for example, are a way to relax and entertain yourself when you are stressed or bored. I realize there are certain games that serve as a way of learning but, in fact, those are the ones people play less.
cloudmip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 cloudmip
Member since 2009 • 240 Posts

It can help you later in life. If youa re a gamer, you could make games. Play good games, get ideas on how to make good games. So in some aspects, yes it is a waste of your time. But in others, no.

Teekal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Teekal
Member since 2003 • 371 Posts

To be honest, sometimes I do feel that way. Especially when I'm really into a game and I realize that I spent a good portion of my day totally zoning into it.

When the laundry is piling up, I've got 4 phone messages that need calling back and my head starts to ache from the eye strain... Yeah, that's when it hits me I should probably take a little break. :P

It's important to know your limits, after all.

;)

nekocat21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nekocat21
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts

To be honest, sometimes I do feel that way. Especially when I'm really into a game and I realize that I spent a good portion of my day totally zoning into it.

When the laundry is piling up, I've got 4 phone messages that need calling back and my head starts to ache from the eye strain... Yeah, that's when it hits me I should probably take a little break. :P

It's important to know your limits, after all.

;)

Teekal
I can relate with the eye strain. I prolly damaged my eyes this much because of games. :O Wel anyway, I still think it's a good hobby and it helps keep people away from other more destructive past times. It also helps hone your creative talents and is a great stress reliever (unless a game is really pwning you and you're the type of person who gets easily pissed).
Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

Pixel-Perfect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsqJFIJ5lLs

Flamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 Flamuel
Member since 2009 • 236 Posts

Sitting in my room looking at a wall is a waste of time, chatting about things you don't care about is a waste of time, getting top10 is nevera waste of time.

-ICON-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -ICON-
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts
depends on how much your time is worth.
ViewtifulScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ViewtifulScott
Member since 2005 • 878 Posts
Sleeping is a waste of time. Watching TV is a waste of time. Taking the time to enjoy a delicious meal is a waste of time. (eat faster!) Reading anything not directly related to education or work is a waste of time. Cutting your hair is a waste of time, it just grows back. What use is anything you could ever do with any amount of leisure time to anyone but yourself? Why treat videogames as a special case? It's no more a regret inducing waste of time than taking a walk on a sunny afternoon, having a warm cup of coffee on the patio at 6am while listening to the birds chirping up a good morning, or tending to a garden of flowers. (what use are those pretty flowers in your yard to anyone but yourself man??? OH THE TRAGEDY OF THE WASTED TIME!!!!!111!!!1) A moment enjoyed, is not wasted.
ViewtifulScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ViewtifulScott
Member since 2005 • 878 Posts

I can think of more benefitial ways to entertain yourself.. like playing certain sports.. (no offence Wii players)

Mikethechimp

Yeah but, what use is your playing sports to anyone else? Maybe it is of some use to the people watching you... but OH MAN, those people watching you are wasting time they could be using for more useful things! You're just feeding the cycle! Tragedy!

iano-87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 iano-87
Member since 2010 • 685 Posts

nobody can ever tell you if your wasting your time playin video games. I decide what amount of time of my life has been wasted playing games, which is none. How much time ive wasted on gaming forums however... :P

maxtek2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 maxtek2k
Member since 2003 • 30 Posts

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

Bertrand Russell

inF_Beta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 inF_Beta
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
OMG no!
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#25 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

Have you ever asked yourself 'What use is my habit of playing video games to anyone but myself?'

or 'How is playing video games going to help me meet my long-term goals, e.g. staying healthy, getting into a good school, finding a steady job,.. ?'

I know it's hypocitical of me to make this thread being a gamer and all, but this is a subject I've been thinking of lately. I'd like to hear what people think. (be honest, don't enter self-denial once your realize how much time you've wasted. I'm regretful too)

Mikethechimp
It's no more a waste of time then reading a book or watching a movie. It's merely an enjoyable hobby.
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
It depends on whether not you can support yourself.
Krystyan68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Krystyan68
Member since 2009 • 359 Posts

YES!! A sweet, exhilarating, captivating, satisfying waste of time!! :D

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I may love games, but I'm not too full of myself to believe that they're just not a good way of killing time.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#29 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

It beats watching TV and filling your brain with trash. So no, I don't think it's a waste of time. As an aspiring game designer, playing games is beneficial.

FlamingPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FlamingPain
Member since 2010 • 83 Posts

Nothing is a waste of time if you have fun doing it (except maybe some things that cause harm to others xD).

archerygenious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 archerygenious
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Games are usually a bit of a timewaster it must be said, but if you think about it it's just as bad as most novels, although I suppose that does increase your english skills a bit.

Some games definitely are beneficial though I think, they make you stop and think more, use your brain, you know?

EDIT: and as the user above said, if it's fun, it's never a waste of time :D

Mikethechimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mikethechimp

Yeah but, what use is your playing sports to anyone else?

Mikethechimp

Didn't think you got my point.. things are beneficial if they help others OR help you on the long-term. Either is fine. But yeah you're mostly correct

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
Is playing video games a waste of time? Yes. Entertainment that's worthwhile and enjoyable is a waste. I could play DDR for thirty minutes to an hour, having fun, but I would recieve a much better workout running around a track. I spend time in the bedroom with my girl and love it, but could I be using that time for more sleep or studying? Yes. Everythings a waste of time except the toilet :)
eh-ut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 eh-ut
Member since 2009 • 563 Posts
Video game is not too much wasting my time. I can divide my time. That's the important one.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
It's like any other hobby. Too much of it isn't good for anything. Moderation and balance is the key.
starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Of course it is. That's the whole point. I don't buy and play video games, listen to music, or watch movies to further my career. I do them to relax. I could do a lot more worse things than video games, but I take them over most other things.

yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#37 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
All work no play makes Jack a dull boy.
Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

Sleeping is a waste of time. Watching TV is a waste of time. Taking the time to enjoy a delicious meal is a waste of time. (eat faster!) Reading anything not directly related to education or work is a waste of time. Cutting your hair is a waste of time, it just grows back. What use is anything you could ever do with any amount of leisure time to anyone but yourself? Why treat videogames as a special case? It's no more a regret inducing waste of time than taking a walk on a sunny afternoon, having a warm cup of coffee on the patio at 6am while listening to the birds chirping up a good morning, or tending to a garden of flowers. (what use are those pretty flowers in your yard to anyone but yourself man??? OH THE TRAGEDY OF THE WASTED TIME!!!!!111!!!1) A moment enjoyed, is not wasted.ViewtifulScott

Agreed....... Man I got freinds that can spend there whole day tinkering and upgrading@#%! with there car. And they tell me tinkering with my PC is a wast of time. it's all the same to me me. You like doing it then it is time well spent

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#39 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
Gaming is something done for fun like any other hobby. It's only a waste if you aren't having fun.
HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

I game because its one of my hobbies, as long as its not detrimental to your health or life than it shouldn't be a problem.

dragonage22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dragonage22
Member since 2009 • 167 Posts

It's not a waste of time if you enjoy gaming, and besides, its not any more ofa time waster than watching a film or reading a book.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Yes, it's a waste of time, just like watching TV, going to the movies, and drinking in a bar. I don't play video games to be productive.

chrisPperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#43 chrisPperson
Member since 2008 • 1393 Posts
There is absolutely no doubt that playing video games is a waste of time, no matter how much you try to justify it.
BadLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BadLegend
Member since 2009 • 318 Posts
I Don't think it's a waste of time aslong as your eating well,keeping fit and doing your home work it's fine you can keep in touch witth friends and is a great way to kill time also give you a chance to escape reality and imagine. It's cool :)
Theguy56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#45 Theguy56
Member since 2003 • 1379 Posts
There is absolutely no doubt that playing video games is a waste of time, no matter how much you try to justify it.chrisPperson
Everything is a waste of time unless you enjoy it.
chrisPperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#46 chrisPperson
Member since 2008 • 1393 Posts
I Don't think it's a waste of time aslong as your eating well,keeping fit and doing your home work it's fine you can keep in touch witth friends and is a great way to kill time also give you a chance to escape reality and imagine. It's cool :)BadLegend
I'm sure even if you have finished your homework and kept in touch with friends, you still could be doing something more productive than pleasuring yourself with playing video games. Yeah, yeah, you could argue that "You've only got one life, you better spend each minute enjoying it", but there are consequences... I guess that does mean that you're right, but still... :P
wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 wigan_gamer
Member since 2008 • 3293 Posts
For me it certainly is a waste of time with all the things I want to accomplish in life. However despite that, from another viewpoint the enjoyment it gives is pretty good, so its not all wasted time , unless of course its a shooter, in which case makes me rage.
Avatar image for SalvationGift31
SalvationGift31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SalvationGift31
Member since 2010 • 277 Posts
If you enjoy it of course not.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Videogames are entertainment. Just like some people watch TV or Read a book to be entertained, some of us play a videogame from time to time.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#50 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Playing games doesn't do anything for my long-term health or goals. But it does relax me, I enjoy them, ect... So I don't feel it's a waste of time at all. Example: My brother in law is a big time hunter. Spends 10X what I do a year for his "hobby", and spends many, many nights away from home and his family. My "hobby" keeps me right in my living room.