Is music not as memorable in today's game as it was 10-20 years ago?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for irishdude199210
irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 irishdude199210
Member since 2010 • 2517 Posts

I've been on youtube listening to old classics and thought "I don't think in 10-20 years time i'll be youtubing any music in today's games".

I remember as much music in older games as the actual gameplay. Games like Mk had great stage music (e.g The famous 'Subway tune') and other games became instantly recognisable due to a theme song (e.g Mario games, or maybe even Dragon Quest).

The music in the ps1 era of Final Fantasy games was certainly my favourite, and I can easily listen to those soundtracks today. No games these days has truly memorable music. At least none i can think of.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Maybe in general but not entirely. I'm sure anyone that has played them can recognize a Portal, Super Meat Boy, or Shogun 2 song for example.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

this is all i need to table for this thread to be rendered pointless..

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2019-Videogame-Music

/thread

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
So, you're comparing music in games that you've played in the past three months to music in games that you played in a decade span 10-20 years ago... of course whatever you remember from back then is more memorable than the music you're experiencing now. Only the most memorable is still going to be in your head!
Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

I think people remember their repetetive tune. They sounded bad and they didn't even sound like real instruments. Playing the old MG and MG2 solid snake games for the msx. Ahhhh! The music!

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 irishdude199210

this is all i need to table for this thread to be rendered pointless..

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2019-Videogame-Music

/thread

ionusX

Sorry for asking for people's opinion!

PalmPixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PalmPixi
Member since 2011 • 361 Posts

Memorable, perhapas. Better? No way. Music in gaming is getting much better. I can't actually sit and listen to the Legend of zelda theme, or mario bros. It just doesn't drive any emotion. Now you talk to me about Lair, or Heavy rain... even Halo and that's a different story.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ionusX

Memorable, perhapas. Better? No way. Music in gaming is getting much better. I can't actually sit and listen to the Legend of zelda theme, or mario bros. It just doesn't drive any emotion. Now you talk to me about Lair, or Heavy rain... even Halo and that's a different story.

PalmPixi

indeed and there are plenty of memorable tracks still about.. like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 irishdude199210

[QUOTE="PalmPixi"]

ionusX

Why do people love that song? I'd be embarrased listening to that.

PalmPixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PalmPixi

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="PalmPixi"]

irishdude199210

It's perhaps the best video game song of the decade... perhaps of all time. Amazing, and original.

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 irishdude199210

Today's games frequently get caught up in the same orchestral nonsense that movies have been seeped in for years.Fragasnap

That is EXACTLY what I'm thinking. I can't remember 'epic' orchestral songs- they're pretty similar unless you really like that music and could spot the differences then. I prefer melodies. Some are annoying, but I love them for how easy they are to remember. I can remember quite a few Dragon quest random encounter tunes.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

Games today might not have the simple music that we can all hum while working, but there's still fantastic scores going around.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ionusX

[QUOTE="irishdude199210"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

PalmPixi

It's perhaps the best video game song of the decade... perhaps of all time. Amazing, and original.

indeed if you DONT enjoy still alive your incapable of being satisfied and what you do enjoy is meerly a case of "good enough" and not truly "amazing".. and this thread now ahs an even more prominent reason to be pointless..

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 irishdude199210

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

PalmPixi

Listen to some dance song, I'm sure you'll find thatit's probablynot veryoriginal. That awful, awful robot-sound voice thing. What the hell is that!?

PalmPixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PalmPixi

[QUOTE="PalmPixi"]

irishdude199210

Listen to some dance song, I'm sure you'll find thatit's probablynot veryoriginal. That awful, awful robot-sound voice thing. What the hell is that!?

I do listen to dance. It sounds nothing like it. Though your probablly not the person that values lyrics and such.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44333 Posts
Well not that I don't have a lot of favourites from many years ago but the music from games today is absolutely fantastic and I find them just as memorable as any of my cIassic favourites. Games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Halo, Blazblue, etc. have some amazing soundtracks.
PalmPixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PalmPixi

Well not that I don't have a lot of favourites from many years ago but the music from games today is absolutely fantastic and I find them just as memorable as any of my cIassic favourites. Games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Halo, Blazblue, etc. have some amazing soundtracks.Archangel3371
I agree. Actually just listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsD2FjmLsw

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Archangel3371

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]Well not that I don't have a lot of favourites from many years ago but the music from games today is absolutely fantastic and I find them just as memorable as any of my cIassic favourites. Games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Halo, Blazblue, etc. have some amazing soundtracks.PalmPixi

I agree. Actually just listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsD2FjmLsw

Awesome track. Gives me goosebumps just listening to it. Now I want to go play Mass Effect 2 again even though I've already played through it 3 times now.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Archangel3371
This is my all-time favourite soundtrack for a fighting game. Blazblue Bang Shishigami
irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 irishdude199210

[QUOTE="PalmPixi"]It's perhaps the best video game song of the decade... perhaps of all time. Amazing, and original.

PalmPixi

I do listen to dance. It sounds nothing like it. Though your probablly not the person that values lyrics and such.

Oh so you listen to dance, well then you're obviously goingto like the song cause it sounds like a dance song! And what the hell is this supposed to mean: 'Though your probablly not the person that values lyrics and such' !? Who are you to say i don't value lyrics, just because i don't like that one particular song. And also, i find it ironic you say i don't value lyrics when YOU like dance music-music that virtually has no lyrics. Plus, I listen to heavy metal and rock- genres of music where lyrics are EXTREMELY important!

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 irishdude199210

This is my all-time favourite soundtrack for a fighting game. Blazblue Bang ShishigamiArchangel3371

Good song!

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
I wouldn't say so. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsD2FjmLsw
PalmPixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PalmPixi

[QUOTE="PalmPixi"]

irishdude199210

Oh so you listen to dance, well then you're obviously goingto like the song cause it sounds like a dance song! And what the hell is this supposed to mean: 'Though your probablly not the person that values lyrics and such' !? Who are you to say i don't value lyrics, just because i don't like that one particular song. And also, i find it ironic you say i don't value lyrics when YOU like dance music-music that virtually has no lyrics. Plus, I listen to heavy metal and rock- genres of music where lyrics are EXTREMELY important!

I like every type of music genre, so I don't get your point. Also you probablly don't know how to distinguish dance from pop... which is what that song is. Pop.

"Oh looky me I listen to hardcore stuff like metal and rock, I'm so hardcore". Please. I'm guessing you just listen to guitar and drums, and don't know half about what the song actually means.

It's not the fact that you don't like the Portal song, is the fact that you bash it, as if your opinion was a FACT. When it's not. Look how many likes vs. dislikes there is on the youtube video. Gamers who understand the game, actually like the song. It doesn't need to be "hardcore" in order to be good. If it fits with the game, then it's perfect. The song is perfect.

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 irishdude199210

I wouldn't say so. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsD2FjmLsw dkdk999

Mass effect seems very popular haha

yeah this sounds ok, but i would really have to judge it on context in the game. It sounds like someone is preparing for war in this song, or possibly that a war/confilct is over haha More inclined to go with the former

PalmPixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PalmPixi

[QUOTE="dkdk999"]I wouldn't say so. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsD2FjmLsw irishdude199210

yeah this sounds ok, but i would really have to judge it on context in the game. It sounds like someone is preparing for war in this song, or possibly that a war/confilct is over haha More inclined to go with the former

Once again. You don't know jack about what your talking about. If the music fits the game, then it's brilliant. Just like the portal song, fits portal... and if you had played mass effect 2, it's an epic track filled with just about all the emotions you can think of.

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 irishdude199210

[QUOTE="PalmPixi"]I do listen to dance. It sounds nothing like it. Though your probablly not the person that values lyrics and such.

PalmPixi

I like every type of music genre, so I don't get your point. Also you probablly don't know how to distinguish dance from pop... which is what that song is. Pop.

"Oh looky me I listen to hardcore stuff like metal and rock, I'm so hardcore". Please. I'm guessing you just listen to guitar and drums, and don't know half about what the song actually means.

It's not the fact that you don't like the Portal song, is the fact that you bash it, as if your opinion was a FACT. When it's not. Look how many likes vs. dislikes there is on the youtube video. Gamers who understand the game, actually like the song. It doesn't need to be "hardcore" in order to be good. If it fits with the game, then it's perfect. The song is perfect.

The people who look up that song on youtube are more than likely going to already like the song, hence looking it up on youtube.

'Please. I'm guessing you just listen to guitar and drums, and don't know half about what the song actually means.'- why are you so prejudice? You're constantly assuming things about me that you obviously have no idea of. In fact, my favourite heavy metal song is actually a very soft, melodic song about a man contempleting suicide, and then commiting it. Yes, that sounds like a typical heavy metal song, but i was very depressed at one point and that song helped me big time. It made me happy, something you'll probably not understand. I never said i was 'hardcore' either, please forgive me for actually liking music that has a bit of meaning. I didn't so much 'bash' the portal song, i just said i didn't like it. You talk about it like it's the best song of all time.

Ihave never played Portal,perhaps in game context the song really fits and is perfect. But i would imagine it is mainly only people who have actually played the game thats likes the song.Forget this notion of 'hardcore' that you keep mentioning, cause I also like other music types, just not as much as rock and metal. Johnny Cash, some Eminem songs etc. I'd easily listen to, if they told a good enough story.

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 irishdude199210

[QUOTE="dkdk999"]I wouldn't say so. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsD2FjmLsw PalmPixi

Once again. You don't know jack about what your talking about. If the music fits the game, then it's brilliant. Just like the portal song, fits portal... and if you had played mass effect 2, it's an epic track filled with just about all the emotions you can think of.

What the hell are you talking about!?I clearly siad "i would really have to judge it on context in the game"- that means i would judge how it fits into the game! Could you not understand that simple sentence?

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

Nobuo. :(

Come back and grace the Final Fantasy franchise once again!

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 irishdude199210

Nobuo. :(

Come back and grace the Final Fantasy franchise once again!

no_more_fayth

Exactly! That guy made some astounding songs

Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

It's more memorable largely out of its simplicity. a 30-75 second music loop that's lacking in depth is easier to remember than an orchestrated piece that's several minutes long. This is particularly true if you were one to replay old games, because you'd hear the short music loops dozens of times.

Whether or not it's better is a completely different story. Many NES tunes are among my favourites in gaming, but eventually they become stale and I have to wait a while to be able to enjoy them again.On the other hand, there are few modern game soundtracks that I remember, but the few that I do remember remain excellent for much longer.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

Baba Yetu
Gusty Garden Galaxy
Still Alive (the only part I liked about that game) all disagree with you

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

Baba Yetu
Gusty Garden Galaxy
Still Alive (the only part I liked about that game) all disagree with you

Maroxad

Darn rights! Baba Yetu is one of THE best out there.

Bowser's Inside Story final boss theme alsodisagree with you

PalmPixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PalmPixi

[QUOTE="PalmPixi"]

irishdude199210

The people who look up that song on youtube are more than likely going to already like the song, hence looking it up on youtube.

'Please. I'm guessing you just listen to guitar and drums, and don't know half about what the song actually means.'- why are you so prejudice? You're constantly assuming things about me that you obviously have no idea of. In fact, my favourite heavy metal song is actually a very soft, melodic song about a man contempleting suicide, and then commiting it. Yes, that sounds like a typical heavy metal song, but i was very depressed at one point and that song helped me big time. It made me happy, something you'll probably not understand. I never said i was 'hardcore' either, please forgive me for actually liking music that has a bit of meaning. I didn't so much 'bash' the portal song, i just said i didn't like it. You talk about it like it's the best song of all time.

Ihave never played Portal,perhaps in game context the song really fits and is perfect. But i would imagine it is mainly only people who have actually played the game thats likes the song.Forget this notion of 'hardcore' that you keep mentioning, cause I also like other music types, just not as much as rock and metal. Johnny Cash, some Eminem songs etc. I'd easily listen to, if they told a good enough story.

Trust me sweetheart, I know what depression is. So stop being prejudice, and stop assuming things that you have no idea of.

Also you didn't say "I don't like the song" you said: Why do people love that song? I'd be embarrased listening to that.

Assuming that people should be emberrased to like the song and shouldn't love it.

If you haven't play portal, then why run your mouth? You'd had to play the game in order to understand the song, hence why "people love it".

EXEraserVS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 EXEraserVS
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
I think the reason why music isn't as memorable today it's because it's all orchestrated and cinematic like films. It's not worse or bad music, it just kind of sounds the same.
PalmPixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PalmPixi

I think the reason why music isn't as memorable today it's because it's all orchestrated and cinematic like films. It's not worse or bad music, it just kind of sounds the same.EXEraserVS
In a way you do speak truth, in others I don't know. 8, and 16bit themes from many games had the same style. Kinda of that eletronic sound that just kept looping.

EXEraserVS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 EXEraserVS
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts

[QUOTE="EXEraserVS"]I think the reason why music isn't as memorable today it's because it's all orchestrated and cinematic like films. It's not worse or bad music, it just kind of sounds the same.PalmPixi

In a way you do speak truth, in others I don't know. 8, and 16bit themes from many games had the same style. Kinda of that eletronic sound that just kept looping.

Yeah, a lot of past games may have had similar music. But that's because it had bad and generic music. People still remember the tunes from all the classics. I think it's because the midi tracks were simple and so they were easier to remember.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#40 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

There are some great soundtracks for games these days. While none are as high quality as, say, Ocarina of Time (Although Brawl definitley has the best soundtrack this gen) I'd say there is still good music. Not all the itme, but when it happens, it's really good.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I've been on youtube listening to old classics and thought "I don't think in 10-20 years time i'll be youtubing any music in today's games".

I remember as much music in older games as the actual gameplay. Games like Mk had great stage music (e.g The famous 'Subway tune') and other games became instantly recognisable due to a theme song (e.g Mario games, or maybe even Dragon Quest).

The music in the ps1 era of Final Fantasy games was certainly my favourite, and I can easily listen to those soundtracks today. No games these days has truly memorable music. At least none i can think of.

irishdude199210

A good melody is a good melody. Back in the day, you NEEDED that good melody, otherwise your game would sound more like an alarm/phone than music. Nowadays, every tool in the world is out there to make game music, but with that I think comes the, "okay, this is good enough feeling." I haven't heard an inspired peice of game music in quite some time. MGS is probably the last, imo.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#42 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
it was often more simplistic back then, but theres great music getting released this generation. bioshockmgs4oblivion.
yourmajesty90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 yourmajesty90
Member since 2006 • 1420 Posts

Machinarium

Quite memorable. There's some memorable music in today's games.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Not at all, there is still great music in games these days.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
are you kidding??? we have the best music ever in games right now. halo and mass effect are easily two of the best soundtracks ever. fallout, GTA, Gears, etc...
ImBananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ImBananas
Member since 2009 • 1793 Posts
are you kidding??? we have the best music ever in games right now. halo and mass effect are easily two of the best soundtracks ever. fallout, GTA, Gears, etc...mems_1224
MGS4 had a good soundtrack, too. Halo's music is awesome.
jsh020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jsh020
Member since 2010 • 1168 Posts

oh yah defently without a doubt, i think the last game with a legitimatly good ost i heard was FF13 and lunar star(but thats a remake of a 20 year old game with the same ost, so that doesnt count)

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 irishdude199210

[QUOTE="PalmPixi"]I like every type of music genre, so I don't get your point. Also you probablly don't know how to distinguish dance from pop... which is what that song is. Pop.

PalmPixi

Trust me sweetheart, I know what depression is. So stop being prejudice, and stop assuming things that you have no idea of.

Also you didn't say "I don't like the song" you said: Why do people love that song? I'd be embarrased listening to that.

Assuming that people should be emberrased to like the song and shouldn't love it.

If you haven't play portal, then why run your mouth? You'd had to play the game in order to understand the song, hence why "people love it".

First off, don't patronise me. Second, don't say i'm being prejudice just because i said that about you.

Third, being embarrased about something generally means you dont like it e.g If i messed up in a public speech, then i would be embarrased. I then would probably not like doing public speeches anymore.

Fourth, this line: 'Assuming that people should be emberrased to like the song and shouldn't love it' is just bs. i said I would be embarrased, I didnt say everyone should be embarrased because they like it.

You're last sentence, ok yeah i agree. I've kinda been a bit hypocritical.

End of this discussion please.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#49 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Oh I like a lot of the modern stuff, like Bioshock/Oblivion/Assassin's Creed, etc, but it doesnt seem nearly as memorable as stuff from the Chrono games, or the old school rpg fare.
KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

Crysis 2 - Main Menu Theme

Super Meat Boy - The Battle Of Lil' Slugger

Mafia II - Main Theme

The Last Remnant - Gates Of Hell

The Witcher - Twilight

The Witcher - Mighty (An extra Witcher song to celebrate the launch of The Witcher 2 XD )

Bulletstorm - Theme

Enslaved: Jouney To The West - Cloud Surfing

I completely disagree TC