Is it true that there are too many First Person Shooters

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sundayismyDAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 sundayismyDAD
Member since 2008 • 438 Posts

I feel that they are becoming way too abundant and get way too many sales.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Hmmmm wwwwaaaaaaiiiiit.....

Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2 - Modern Combat, Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Bad Company 1, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty 3, Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Call of Duty Black Ops, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, Resistance 1, Resistance 2, Resistance 3, Fear 1, Fear 2, Fear 3, Killzone 1, Killzone 2, Killzone 3, Medal of Honor Airborne Assault, Medal Of Honor Frontline, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Homefront..........

....nope. *COUGH*

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
There's not too many, there's just a boom in the FPS industry.
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

Fear

Justforvisit

And this is the only FPS worth playing on the list. More importantly, there is a lack of quality shooters.

edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]Fear

Socijalisticka

And this is the only FPS worth playing on the list. More importantly, there is a lack of quality shooters.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts
No I don't think there's too many myself. Personally I don't find it difficult to buy a large variety of excellent games outside of the FPS genre.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

There's still plenty of other games.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

No it's not true. The developers are just making the games that sell. Every generation has it's major genre. It just so happens this gen it's FPS. There are still plenty of other types of games out there.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I think there's a boom in FPS, RPG, Fighting games, and even flight sims (PC). I'm a happy camper right now.

There's also slumps though like with what I think is happening with RTS games. There haven't been too many lately.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

I feel that they are becoming way too abundant and get way too many sales.

sundayismyDAD

If they're getting way too many sales that probably explains why they are way too abundant. Unfortunately, they are also way too short and there are way too few good ones. If only you could splice them all together, then you might have one good long one.

TheFatPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheFatPerson
Member since 2011 • 1806 Posts

There's nothing wrong with FPSs. There's just too many generic ones. Every now and then, you tend to get games like Borderlands, Bioshock, Left 4 Dead, Crysis (the original, of course, :) ) F.E.A.R. and Deus Ex that end up being amazing games. All of them FPSs or at least have FPS styles of gameplay.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
Its The Rise of FPS's and The Fall Of Survival Horror. Yep life is great this Gen.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Justforvisit

Its The Rise of FPS's and The Fall Of Survival Horror. Yep life is great this Gen.Lulekani

For people who get scared easily and / or have weak hearts

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Socijalisticka

There's also slumps though like with what I think is happening with RTS games. There haven't been too many lately.

jun_aka_pekto

I worry that it's being replaced by "action RTS", just as the "aRPG" superseded role-playing. RTS tourneys are almost a thing of the past.

Its The Rise of FPS's and The Fall Of Survival Horror. Yep life is great this Gen.Lulekani

I don't know of any developer in the past as distinguished as Frictional with regards to the horror genre.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I love shooters its my fav genre.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#16 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

No. I like First-Person shooters.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#17 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

I don't think so. There are still a ton of other games out there.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#18 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2 - Modern Combat, Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Bad Company 1, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty 3, Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Call of Duty Black Ops, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, Resistance 1, Resistance 2, Resistance 3, Fear 1, Fear 2, Fear 3, Killzone 1, Killzone 2, Killzone 3, Medal of Honor Airborne Assault, Medal Of Honor Frontline, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Homefront..........

....nope. *COUGH*

Justforvisit

Crysis 1, Crysis 2, Far Cry 2, Far Cry 3, MAG, Left for Dead, Left for Dead 2, Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands, Borderlands 2, Doom 3, Bodycount, Brink, Call of Juarez, Duke Nukem, Halo, Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo ODST, Halo 4, Half Life 2, Haze, RAGE, Metro 2033, Syndicate, Rainbow Six 1, Rainbow Six 2, Wolfenstien, Turok, Unreal Tournament 3, 007 remake, Dues EX HR, Sniper, Portal, Portal 2, Bulletstorm, Modern Combat: Domination, Blacksite: Area 51, Timeshift, The Darkness, The Darkness 2, Gotham City Imposters, Singlarity, SHadowrun.............

Still Nope. *COUGH*

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

I don't think there are too many FPS games. I do think there are too many FPS games that focus on a too similar gameplay experience. And there are too many FPS games that focus on multiplayer. Some good singleplayer FPS games would be nice. Remember Half Life? Deus Ex? Red Faction? The old tactical Rainbow Six?

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Have been for a while now
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#21 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Socijalisticka

This is the problem with most FPS games. They are very generic and not worth playing.

sundayismyDAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sundayismyDAD
[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

....nope. *COUGH*

Crysis 1, Crysis 2, Far Cry 2, Far Cry 3, MAG, Left for Dead, Left for Dead 2, Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands, Borderlands 2, Doom 3, Bodycount, Brink, Call of Juarez, Duke Nukem, Halo, Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo ODST, Halo 4, Half Life 2, Haze, RAGE, Metro 2033, Syndicate, Rainbow Six 1, Rainbow Six 2, Wolfenstien, Turok, Unreal Tournament 3, 007 remake, Dues EX HR, Sniper, Portal, Portal 2, Bulletstorm, Modern Combat: Domination, Blacksite: Area 51, Timeshift, The Darkness, The Darkness 2, Gotham City Imposters, Singlarity, SHadowrun.............

Still Nope. *COUGH*

That is a lot.
iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

There's plenty of FPSs because there are plenty of people that buy into them. There wouldn't be as many FPSs if people did not want (or at least buy them, which I consider as an extension of your desire for them) them.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ristactionjakso

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

....nope. *COUGH*

sundayismyDAD

Still Nope. *COUGH*

That is a lot.

That's not very much........lol.

GamerZem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GamerZem
Member since 2012 • 526 Posts

There can't really be "too many", of one genre. Whenever there is a boom in that genre, say FPS, of course there will be a lot of those types of games. Eventually it's going to move on.

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

The market is oversaturated with them, especially the sub par ones. That can only lead to bad things. Remember when there were way too many rhythm games on the market? That didn't go well and it's only a matter of time before this catches up to the developers.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Are people really only starting to catch on now?

The gaming industry has been plagued with generic, rehashed shooters for the past 7 or so years. This NEEDS to come to an end.

Everyone around me is playing Halo 4 and it sickens me that people are actually suckered in to buying this Halo 3 re-release.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Justforvisit

[QUOTE="sundayismyDAD"][QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]Crysis 1, Crysis 2, Far Cry 2, Far Cry 3, MAG, Left for Dead, Left for Dead 2, Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands, Borderlands 2, Doom 3, Bodycount, Brink, Call of Juarez, Duke Nukem, Halo, Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo ODST, Halo 4, Half Life 2, Haze, RAGE, Metro 2033, Syndicate, Rainbow Six 1, Rainbow Six 2, Wolfenstien, Turok, Unreal Tournament 3, 007 remake, Dues EX HR, Sniper, Portal, Portal 2, Bulletstorm, Modern Combat: Domination, Blacksite: Area 51, Timeshift, The Darkness, The Darkness 2, Gotham City Imposters, Singlarity, SHadowrun.............

Still Nope. *COUGH*

ristactionjakso

That is a lot.

Hey. let's open up another thread like that and try to fill it with THAT amount of RPG's xD

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#29 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

There are too many MILITARY first-person shooters.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

What's the big deal though?

I don't play shooters (I only own 1 and I got bored with it quickly), so I don't really see how me complaining about the content and the quantity of shooters will do any good. I'm not concerned with what other people choose to play. I'm too busy playing my RPGs, puzzlers, and platformers that are just as abundant (RPGs and platformers way moreso than puzzlers).

TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts

Socijalisticka

^ This It seems like every first person shooter that i've played remains to be the same :) Therefore I still just play the old ones that I first enjoyed like Goldeneye 007 and Halo 1. Not too much has changed really, so why buy the newer ones?
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ristactionjakso

[QUOTE="sundayismyDAD"] That is a lot.Justforvisit

Hey. let's open up another thread like that and try to fill it with THAT amount of RPG's xD

You can't lol. Not for this generation anyway. Mass Effect and other "hybrids" I wouldnt count as rpg's.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Justforvisit

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]That's not very much........lol.

ristactionjakso

You can't lol. Not for this generation anyway. Mass Effect and other "hybrids" I wouldnt count as rpg's.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say in a sarcastic way......^^

Kinda sad when you come to think about it :/

megadeth1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 megadeth1117
Member since 2010 • 1830 Posts

Everyone around me is playing Halo 4 and it sickens me that people are actually suckered in to buying this Halo 3 re-release.GeoffZak

yG8yL.gif

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Yes it is a fact. After there hits 100 FPS games on the market it becomes a fact....lol...

IMO (since it cannot be a true FACT :P) there are too many, but not ecause they are FPS, but because they are dull and unoriginal. But look at it this way. If those companies were not making dull FPS games, they would probably be making dull games of other genres.

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

There are plenty games of all types.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#37 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
No way, there's only about a billion of em out there. We need more!
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts
  • cod games
  • battlefield games
  • killzone games
  • crysis games
  • far cry games
  • halo games

sounds about the right amount

TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts
cod gamesbattlefield gameskillzone gamescrysis gamesfar cry gameshalo games

jsmoke03
Don't forget to mention Rainbow Six to that list! Rainbow Six Then there all those titles that aren't wonderfully amazing, but fall through the gaps anyway. I'm sure there will be tons of new content when were playing Halo 5: Witty but Kind of epic story related subtitle here Call of Duty: Space warfare etc. Honestly I don't know where they keep going with FPS games its always the same xD
sundayismyDAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sundayismyDAD

[QUOTE="jsmoke03"]cod gamesbattlefield gameskillzone gamescrysis gamesfar cry gameshalo games

TrainerCeleste

Don't forget to mention Rainbow Six to that list! Rainbow Six Then there all those titles that aren't wonderfully amazing, but fall through the gaps anyway. I'm sure there will be tons of new content when were playing Halo 5: Witty but Kind of epic story related subtitle here Call of Duty: Space warfare etc. Honestly I don't know where they keep going with FPS games its always the same xD

Hahahahahaha.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts
[QUOTE="jsmoke03"]cod gamesbattlefield gameskillzone gamescrysis gamesfar cry gameshalo games

TrainerCeleste

is that fps? i always thought it was tps...sorry i haven't played a rainbow six game
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Socijalisticka

is that fps? i always thought it was tps...sorry i haven't played a rainbow six gamejsmoke03

R6:Vegas has a third-person cover system. Game's alright, but really every game after R6 and Rogue Spear was a step backwards for the series.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Yes.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

I got PC/Steam, Wii, PS3, 360, 3DS, PS Vita, Ipad Mini, and Iphone.

There are a lot more games that are not just FPS or TPS. The key difference why i think people belly ache about it is because right now FPS and TPS are the most talked about and hyped triple AAA experiences right now.

That's what makes Assassin's Creed, Skyrim and Fallout, and other next-gen non-FPS's standout to people.

remember we went from platformers to what seemed like JRPG's to after the arrival of Halo (popularizing it on consoles), the FPS genre now. Where it goes next i don't know, but if i had to hazerd a guess, it's gonna be whatever you can squeeze into a smartphone or tablet device.

speaking for myself, i don't mind the military shooters, very few occurances have i ever not liked a games narrative and themes, at least not to the degree to be offended over it. my issue with military fps's is fairly simple, they pretty much all say the same story, and i know for sure when making stories about war, whether it's soldiers, refugee's or other, there are multiple ways and perspectives you can go about telling a story in a time of war. They just don't all need to be telling us the same story again and again.

but we also live in an industry that plays follow the leader. when Call of Duty blockbusters it by selling 15 million copies or more, nevermind the moola they make on their dlc's, every developer with their of FPS/TPS brand suddenly feels the need to chase them.

and i don't hate on Call of Duty, just think we need more Spec Ops the Line and diversity not just in terms of lead protaganists, but also in the perspectives of war.

were never gonna get tired of it, the subject fascinates us, and in the real world, actually physically re-shapes it as well.

WaterSphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WaterSphere
Member since 2012 • 203 Posts
I like FPS games so I have nothing to complain about. I would say there definitely are a lot though.
bjvill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 bjvill
Member since 2011 • 152 Posts
I think the problem is not the actual number of them, but that there are too many "me toos" at this point that basically follow use the cookie-cut of the most commercially successful one. (I think the latest wave was started by call of duty: modern warfare, as the previous FPS wave seemed to dwindle when the majority started getting sick of the WW2 setting). Developers are following the recipe of whatever makes the most money and putting their own coat of icing on it in an attempt to differentiate themselves enough without altering whatever brought the initial game (that started the wave) success..