Is it me or Dark Souls II most hardest game of the series ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Oh my Demons Souls and Dark Souls feels pretty much easy and short compared to Dark Souls II , specially bosses and very aggro NPC invaders or area gaurdians.I know enemies don't respawn after being killed many times over but oh boy they certainly do pack a punch.You can't even grind for souls or items as in past games , you can do so by making enemies harder by buring a certain item but it becomes more challenging than rewarding. PLUS online you are getting invaded vey easily.

Which is your most hardest souls game and why ?

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

If you don't use the ring of binding, that death penalty can turn it into the hardest game in the series. It's definitely the biggest game in the series, so there are more opportunities to die, but the enemy variety just isn't there like past souls games, especially on the bosses. Because of that, I think it's actually a little easier than the last couple games....fewer attack patterns to learn. Once I got my health/armor to the point where I could sustain a few hits, it's mostly falling that killed me.

And I'm not getting invaded at all because I just kept it offline. RPG PvP is something I need to be able to turn off, as I have to be in a very specific mood for stat-driven competitive gaming. Hearing about all the item dup methods in the first week was also a big turn-off. Would have loved to have been able to shut the PvP out while still being able to help people with bosses and such, but, oh well.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#3  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Yeah my friend was telling me that the way humanity and summoning works is a lot more difficult than before.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Demon's Souls still feels like the most punishing one, to me. A lot of the really tough stuff in DS II is optional, and there are ways around the limited grinding and health penalties. There's a certain ring that you can wear to prevent any soul loss and hollowing when you die, and which can be repaired even though it breaks after every death. In fact, I have three of them at this point.

As far as online goes, I was against hollow invasions from the get-go, but I like the co-op far too much to play offline. Really, I've only been invaded a few times, and usually, I'll just go jump off a cliff while wearing the aformentioned ring as soon as I'm invaded, as I despise PvP with the collective strength of every bonfire in Drangleic.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#5 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i'm not too far in DS2 yet (i've beaten the belfry luna boss and i'm working towards the boss in sinner's rise), but it's been the easiest for me so far. a few individual fights have been tough, but that's been lessened a lot by how the game encourages online play. really though, the level design hasn't had the rhythm of past games where one obstacle lead perfectly to the next and even individual obstacles haven't had the impact of the first 2 games.

in terms of individual obstacles, there hasn't been anything as crazy as the swamp level in demons' souls or the curse status of dark souls. then there's that rhythm i mentioned earlier (i'm sure there will be a replication of those, but it will never have the impact of something new). a good example comes towards the beginning of the original dark souls. you beat the first real boss and feel pretty good about yourself, only to run into a dragon that can 1 hit you with its flame breath immediately after passing the fight. pass that? there's a mandatory and optional sub-boss right after. the game drives you forward. DS2 feels so spaced out that the pacing of the levels isn't as frantic.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

No, I crushed it in about 40 hours.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#7 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Not really tbh, I found dark souls and demon souls before it, way more of a pain in the arse than DS2, only thanks to their clunky heavy controllers. TBH I prefer DS2's floaty controls as they make the more enjoyable and fair in terms of traversing and avoiding attacks. In saying that though, DS2 is just FULL of cheap deaths, its not even funny. But its still up in there in terms of difficulty though.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

@gpuFX16
said:

As far as online goes, I was against hollow invasions from the get-go, but I like the co-op far too much to play offline. Really, I've only been invaded a few times, and usually, I'll just go jump off a cliff while wearing the aformentioned ring as soon as I'm invaded, as I despise PvP with the collective strength of every bonfire in Drangleic.

@Ish_basic said:

And I'm not getting invaded at all because I just kept it offline. RPG PvP is something I need to be able to turn off, as I have to be in a very specific mood for stat-driven competitive gaming.

I'm happy to read this. I'm also not a big fan of invasions, but so far I've never read any comments of people who also didn't like it. I guess it's a shame you can't help other people either, but well... Although that ring sounds like a good option.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Invasions aren't all that common.... likely because people are just not doing much invading, right now. (likely due to you being able to duel with no rewards as many times as you like when you join the blue and give a token that you get from co-op to the statues.)

In about 50 hours I've been invaded about 8 times. Twice of which I got a auto-summons of a blue helper (you don't have to wear the path of the blue ring to summons a blue). Also as a blue helper, I've yet to be summons... with 6 hours of wearing the guarding ring.

Also the game is much more forgiving with it's Hollowed system. There is a ring that you can equip that nulls the going to hollow form. The ring breaks after a single use, but in this game the blacksmiths can repair rings And there are multiple copies of the Ring of Life in the game (3K is all it takes to repair this ring). So, unless they patch the ring, it's gonna make the hollow penalty non-existant once people figure out where they all are.

So, DSII isn't really as hard as it's predecessors. It only seems that way when you start out.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@indzman said:

Oh my Demons Souls and Dark Souls feels pretty much easy and short compared to Dark Souls II , specially bosses and very aggro NPC invaders or area gaurdians.I know enemies don't respawn after being killed many times over but oh boy they certainly do pack a punch.You can't even grind for souls or items as in past games , you can do so by making enemies harder by buring a certain item but it becomes more challenging than rewarding. PLUS online you are getting invaded vey easily.

Which is your most hardest souls game and why ?

Its just you

DS2 just switches around on some game mechanics and makes some worse which leaves you to learn some combat mechanics again. But in the end its as easy as Dark Souls.

And no "souls game" is hard, it just doesn't hold your hand and kiss you goodnight like 90% of other games out there.