Is it immoral to buy used games?

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

Lately, there's a lot of talk about the problems the used games market poses for developers. If news sites are to be believed, devs have even been releasing DLC in order to thwart the trend of people selling back their games to places like GameStop.

When stores sell a used game, none of the profit goes to the dev. It seems to follow that if games weren't traded in or at least weren't resold, more money would be in devs' pockets because people would buy new copies instead. That makes sense when you're personally confronted with the choice between buying the new or used copy sitting on the store shelf; if you weren't to buy the used copy or if it didn't exist, the dev would get more money.

However, looking at the bigger picture, what if people who trade in games buy new games at a faster rate than those who don't trade in their new games? If getting money back from a store makes them more inclined to purchase games, then the used games market could possibly be indirectly putting more money in devs' pockets.

Still, I always feel a little guilty when I buy games used. Since the dev isn't getting the money, it doesn't seem significantly different from illegally downloading games (that the dev isn't getting paid for their work is generally the argument brought up against illegal downloading.)

What do you think? Is it wrong to buy used games? Keep in mind that its legality or any relevant Rights & Freedoms are irrelevant to its morality; not all immoral things are illegal, and not all legal things are moral.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Is it morally wrong to buy a used car? Of course not. I've bought some used games and it's simply the publishers fault for not printing enough copies. Their loss.
Adoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Adoxx
Member since 2008 • 610 Posts
I do not think it is wrong at all for several reasons. Most people every once in awhile will at least buy a new game, as they do not buy every game used as sometimes they might have to wait awhile to pick that game up from a used game shelf, so therefore the developer is still getting their money from that person. Now also, I myself will go for the new game copy if it is still on the shelf, however the developer does not supply the game retailers with new copies of games constantly, therefore making it difficult for me to track down a new copy of a game, such as Bioshock. Bioshock was a very popular game, but now you can not find a new copy of a game unless you go online, and even then it is usually from a private seller (therefore the developer is still not getting any money). So maybe if the developer made it easier to get new copies of games, people would not always be buying used copies of games.
Toro_Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 Toro_Nev
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts
I dont know if it is immoral, but I never buy used games. Well there was 1 exception, but I like getting my hands on my own copy of a game from the beggining to the end. Not into selling games as well. Also, as you mentioned, there is no money going to the Devs after buying an old purchase.
bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts
I try not to buy used games for that reason lately. I think all gamers should try to buy new copies of games, ones they are a fan of anyway. Save trade-ins for games that you wouldn't have bought new anyway.
Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts
No, someone has already bought the product, it has entered the consumer's hands. After that, there is no law binding them to keeping the game. They can sell it to whoever they please, including a large retail chain that doesn't give you much money for them, and other people have the right to buy them.
Rigga911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rigga911
Member since 2008 • 2429 Posts
used games rule ok
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#8 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
No, There's a used market for everything and no one complains. Games shouldn't be any different.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#9 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

TC, all I can say is Wow, just Wow at this topic....

Why would it be wrong to buy used games?!?!?!?

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#10 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts
HELL YEAH ITS WRONG!!!! All you jerks stay away from the used games. Atleast until my collection is complete.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

What do you think? Is it wrong to buy used games?

clicketyclick

No, I don't think buying used games is immoral, but charging $70 for them sure is.

Ugotownedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ugotownedo
Member since 2007 • 442 Posts

The guy who compared buying used games to buying a used car pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Besides, what's the average person gonna do: shell out $50 to $60 for a new game, or $20 to $30 max for the same thing, but with the case opened? If games were cheaper, people would be less inclined to go for the used copies.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 clicketyclick

I've bought some used games and it's simply the publishers fault for not printing enough copies. Their loss.Nifty_Shark

The issue is usually not a lack of new copies. Most buy used games simply because they're cheaper.

Bioshock was a very popular game, but now you can not find a new copy of a game unless you go online, and even then it is usually from a private seller (therefore the developer is still not getting any money). So maybe if the developer made it easier to get new copies of games, people would not always be buying used copies of games.Adoxx

I don't find that to be true where I live at least. In any case, you're basically saying, if it is difficult to pay the dev for a copy of the game, then it is moral to obtain the game without paying the dev. However, you will not, I am sure, be willing to say that it is moral to illegally download hard-to-find old games. So can you really use that as a reason why buying used games is moral? You can't make a case of Necessity here.

No, There's a used market for everything and no one complains. Games shouldn't be any different.BuryMe

Perhaps the used market for other products is wrong too. If so, they shouldn't be treated any different. But first we need to establish whether or not it is wrong to buy used games. But whether or not people complain about something is not indicative of the morality of it; you didn't provide a reason why buying used games is moral.

TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

I do buy used games but just to complete my PS2 collection.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts

[QUOTE="Nifty_Shark"]I've bought some used games and it's simply the publishers fault for not printing enough copies. Their loss.clicketyclick

The issue is usually not a lack of new copies. Most buy used games simply because they're cheaper.

Bioshock was a very popular game, but now you can not find a new copy of a game unless you go online, and even then it is usually from a private seller (therefore the developer is still not getting any money). So maybe if the developer made it easier to get new copies of games, people would not always be buying used copies of games.Adoxx

I don't find that to be true where I live at least. In any case, you're basically saying, if it is difficult to pay the dev for a copy of the game, then it is moral to obtain the game without paying the dev. However, you will not, I am sure, be willing to say that it is moral to illegally download hard-to-find old games. So can you really use that as a reason why buying used games is moral? You can't make a case of Necessity here.

No, There's a used market for everything and no one complains. Games shouldn't be any different.BuryMe

Perhaps the used market for other products is wrong too. If so, they shouldn't be treated any different. But first we need to establish whether or not it is wrong to buy used games. But whether or not people complain about something is not indicative of the morality of it; you didn't provide a reason why buying used games is moral.

there is nothing immoral about it. it is moral to buy a used game because one person does not want it anymore. he would benefit from some more money. the other person wants the game. he has extra money. both people are satisfied. the developer got their money on the original sale. they have been wronged in no way. some people do not find a $60 game to be a good value and probably would not have bought the game at all if they didnt get it cheaper used.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts
The used game market is definitely bad for the developers. It literally steals legitimate sales. It doesn't matter if it is "moral" or not, really. At the end of the day, you should always be supporting the developers, not Gamestop and that cheap guy who wanted the extra $2 or whatever ridiculously low price that retailers buy used game for.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts

The used game market is definitely bad for the developers. It literally steals legitimate sales. It doesn't matter if it is "moral" or not, really. At the end of the day, you should always be supporting the developers, not Gamestop and that cheap guy who wanted the extra $2 or whatever ridiculously low price that retailers buy used game for.ReddestSkies

this is absurd. you have no way of knowing if people would ever buy the game at full retail cost. i sure wouldnt buy a lot of the games i buy used at new price

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ReddestSkies

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]The used game market is definitely bad for the developers. It literally steals legitimate sales. It doesn't matter if it is "moral" or not, really. At the end of the day, you should always be supporting the developers, not Gamestop and that cheap guy who wanted the extra $2 or whatever ridiculously low price that retailers buy used game for.OneWingedAngeI

this is absurd. you have no way of knowing if people would ever buy the game at full retail cost. i sure wouldnt buy a lot of the games i buy used at new price

Waiting for the games to drop in price seems like the best middle ground.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 clicketyclick

Besides, what's the average person gonna do: shell out $50 to $60 for a new game, or $20 to $30 max for the same thing, but with the case opened? If games were cheaper, people would be less inclined to go for the used copies.

Ugotownedo

The premise of this thread is that the average person is buying games used. The question is whether they should be doing that, not whether they are. And the price doesn't justify the act; illegally downloading games and apps is just as immoral when they're expensive as when they cost $5.

there is nothing immoral about it. it is moral to buy a used game because one person does not want it anymore. he would benefit from some more money. the other person wants the game. he has extra money. both people are satisfied. the developer got their money on the original sale. they have been wronged in no way. some people do not find a $60 game to be a good value and probably would not have bought the game at all if they didnt get it cheaper used.

OneWingedAngeI

That last sentence is a really astute point and another reason why the used game market may actually not be a detriment to devs - it IS an assumption to say that a person who bought a game used would have necessarily bought it new had they been unable to buy it used. However, the same thing can be (and has been) said about illegal downloading. Yet that is still immoral, regardless. What accounts for that?

As for the first part of your post, the way they were wronged, it could be argued, is that people are experiencing their work and their services (in an online game) without paying THEM for it. There is something, I think, we find disturbing in people profiting from others' work. Even if you paid for an essay in the first place, you shouldn't claim it as your own and submit it to the teacher, profiting by getting mark in return for it. It wasn't your work.

Well, that's my initial intuition about it at least. I'll probably be able to come up with a more thoughtful explanation through more discussion.

viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts
Immoral is a very strong word...I mean, getting a girl pregnant and leaving her is probably a better use of the word. Anyway, I buy used games, considering how hard it is to get the older stuff.
Gun-Kata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gun-Kata
Member since 2007 • 191 Posts
It's wrong if you buy from a company like Gamestop. Go somewhere else like Amazon/Ebay for used.
joshuarocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 joshuarocker
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts

The used game market has provided me with the ability to play a lot more games then I would have ever been able to. I own very few games because after a few weeks or months depending on the game I sell them. I then use that money to buy another game. I sometimes buy new and sometimes I buy used depending on the title. Using this method I have been buying 2 or 3 games a month for quite sometime (which has slowed down the last few months because my wife went back to school and isn't working anymore. . .so money is TIGHT).

If I didn't have the ability to sell my games I would have a lot less cash flow not to mention I would take a lot less chances on a new title. Right now an average new game cost me around $40 bucks or less after I trade it in or sell it to a friend. I take chances a quite a few titles that I wouldn't have paid $60 bucks for, but 30 or 40 seems much more reasonable to me.

A game is really no different then any other object bought or sold. Used cars are a perfect example. A lot of people factor in resale value when buying a new car and with games I do the very same thing. If buying or selling used games is immoral then garage sales, flea markets and ebay are all immoral also.

EquiIibrium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 EquiIibrium
Member since 2008 • 303 Posts

Well if you no longer have use for a game and it's just going to sit around never being played for ages, it's just wasting space. So you can either keep it and try to squeeze room for something you never use, or you can bin it. But why waste a game that someone else can enjoy? Especially when you can cash in on the game by selling it/trading it in?

How is this relevent? If you couldn't buy 2nd hand games then alot of games would just be thrown away or be rotting in someones attic/cupboard when it could be sold to someone else for it to get even more play out of it.

Whats immoral is the stores that sell 2nd hand games nearing the price of a new game.

g1rldraco7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

#24 g1rldraco7
Member since 2008 • 2988 Posts
I agree with you on that. I think it's immoral how people are selling used games on ebay and watching people go on bidding wars just get an old game they should have got when it was releashed. I buy used games of different titles for myself. I always feel bad for a used game that's just sitting because no one wants it. Also used games help others buy more games in the future.
HardQuor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HardQuor
Member since 2007 • 1282 Posts

Is it morally wrong to buy a used car? Of course not. I've bought some used games and it's simply the publishers fault for not printing enough copies. Their loss.Nifty_Shark

The guy who compared buying used games to buying a used car pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Ugotownedo

A game is really no different then any other object bought or sold. Used cars are a perfect example. A lot of people factor in resale value when buying a new car and with games I do the very same thing. If buying or selling used games is immoral then garage sales, flea markets and ebay are all immoral also.

joshuarocker
I'm on the fence on the issue, but i thought that it would be worth posting to point out that the used car argument is intrinsically flawed. The reason is that cars (and any mechanical device, really) suffer from degradation, or wear and tear. digital products do not suffer from any comparable amount of degradation. Buying a brand new Cadillac is not the same as buying a Cadillac with 10,000 on the odometer, whereas a used copy of Fallout 3 will play exactly the same as a new copy.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

It's wrong if you buy from a company like Gamestop. Go somewhere else like Amazon/Ebay for used. Gun-Kata

they are a really good source for older PS2 games though. Most of which don't exceed 10 dollars.

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

I agree with you on that. I think it's immoral how people are selling used games on ebay and watching people go on bidding wars just get an old game they should have got when it was releashed. I buy used games of different titles for myself. I always feel bad for a used game that's just sitting because no one wants it. Also used games help others buy more games in the future.g1rldraco7

What if they were unable to?

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Angry_Beaver

First of all, why is it some moral imperative that we pay the developer for their game? Most transactions involving used products put zero money in the manufacturer's pocket, so a case would have to be made against the resale of used items in general, which would be completely ridiculous. Those with little money need their thrift stores, for example.

Second, the analogy of buying used to illegally downloading is flawed for the following reason: with console and handheld games, at least, there are limited copies of the game in circulation, so not only is someone paying for the physical product, but that person is also paying for the transfer of the licence to play the game from the seller. The total number of people able to play the game remains constant. With illegal downloads, there is no limit to the number of copies in circulation and there is no transference. The number of people able to play can increase without bound, without a dime going to the developer for additional copies obtained.

Thought experiment time. Consider two groups of people: one has bought all the copies of a game that have been produced, and the other wants these copies of the game, but doesn't have any. Each copy of the game was purchased already. The money already went to the developer. Let's say that the used market exists and the second group bought all the copies of the aforementioned game from the first group. If it is said that the developer should get money out of this transaction, it would be the case that consumers are, in total, paying the developer more than the total price of all the copies of the game. This is not a pay-for-ownership model of business.

Asking whether buying used should be made illegal looks to me like the question of whether or not all game business should take place under a pay-for-use model instead of a pay-for-ownership model. Why should that be the case?

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 clicketyclick

Well if you no longer have use for a game and it's just going to sit around never being played for ages, it's just wasting space. So you can either keep it and try to squeeze room for something you never use, or you can bin it. But why waste a game that someone else can enjoy? Especially when you can cash in on the game by selling it/trading it in?

EquiIibrium

This is another good point. You could even say that selling games used for cheap that would have otherwise been just collecting dust can introduce new people to quality gaming (who would otherwise buy new shovelware for that same price), or at least, introduce gamers to a franchise they haven't tried before. And if that franchise is still alive, it could make them want to buy the new sequel coming out, when they wouldn't have before.

On the other hand, such an argument requires belief that there is something inherently wrong about hogging a game that you no longer play and have no use for while others could make much better use of it than you (something like a socialist Game Redistribution principle.) I find this hard to swallow, because I think being a game collector is not wrong.

a case would have to be made against the resale of used items in general, which would be completely ridiculous. Those with little money need their thrift stores, for example.Angry_Beaver

As HardQuor pointed out, other used-product industries are different in that cars and clothing experience degradation. They're simply not in as good condition as when bought new. This is not the case for games. This is morally relevant because it justifies the lower resale price. With games though, the price is just competitively undercutting new games on shelves, to the detriment of the dev.

Another difference with clothing and cars is that you seem to only find them up for resale when the originals are out of print. It's difficult to go to the thrift store and find a shirt that could could currently buy new in the mall. And when you buy a used car, it's last year's model, or maybe from a few years back, which are not being sold anymore in dealerships. This is relevant because they're not competing with the same product, only new.

With illegal downloads, there is no limit to the number of copies in circulation and there is no transference. The number of people able to play can increase without bound, without a dime going to the developer for additional copies obtained.Angry_Beaver

I recognise that this is a difference, but I don't see how it is any more morally relevant than the colour of the game case each would be in. How many people who can play without paying the dev is not at issue; it's whether any of them are justified in doing so. If something is wrong, the number of people doing it doesn't make it any more or less wrong. It just makes it more or less of a problem.

Thought experiment time. Consider two groups of people...Angry_Beaver

There are two flaws with your experiment. First, if it is true that buying games is immoral, paying the dev for used game purchases is only one possible response, and one that I disagree with for the reasons you mentioned. But because it's only one possible response, it doesn't show that buying used games is moral. Here's an alternative: people just don't buy/sell games used. You see, I'm asking what is moral, not what should be legal. Morality need not have legal enforcement.

Second, you're making the static world error. While it's true that a finite number of games will eventually be printed, it's not true that they already have been. Successful games (measured in sales of NEW games) get reprinted (note that buying these games used means that games go out of print sooner.) And financially/critically successful games get reissued as ports, special editions, collector sets, anniversary editions, or downloads. What I'm saying is that usually, the choice is between buying used now or buying new now or in the future.

Devs today are not concerned about buying old games that are out of print and have no way of playing them new. They're concerned about the large industry behind games being sold back soon after release, sitting on shelves beside new copies with $5-10 knocked off the price. And I'm always confronted with the choice of going to the store to buy an in-print-and-available game or buying it cheap off kijiji or ebay.

skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

No, someone has already bought the product, it has entered the consumer's hands. After that, there is no law binding them to keeping the game. They can sell it to whoever they please, including a large retail chain that doesn't give you much money for them, and other people have the right to buy them.-TheSecondSign-

Very well said.

My answer is no. I only buy a game brand new if I really really like the game. If reading reviews and watching videos of the game still can't tell me if it's worth the full price, then I just buy a used copy of it. Renting games doesn't exist here in Philippines.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 clicketyclick

[QUOTE="-TheSecondSign-"]No, someone has already bought the product, it has entered the consumer's hands. After that, there is no law binding them to keeping the game. They can sell it to whoever they please, including a large retail chain that doesn't give you much money for them, and other people have the right to buy them.skp_16

Very well said.

Keep in mind that its legality or any relevant Rights & Freedoms are irrelevant to its morality; not all immoral things are illegal, and not all legal things are moral.

clicketyclick

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Angry_Beaver
You're really putting some good thought into this, you know.
TurboButton1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TurboButton1
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
lol it all depends on the situation....if the games available in the store then i try to get it there
jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
Lolz I guess no one told you the developers buy/ sell their own games to profit the production companies and get more vacation time.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I don't know. Should it be unethical for a dev to produce a bad game and still charge full price for it?
DeadlyZodiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DeadlyZodiac
Member since 2007 • 1367 Posts

This is a difficult question to answer. I will say that if it is a quality game and has recently been released, you should buy it new to support the game and the people who made it. On the other hand, there is a lot of marketing BS and hype and a lot of people get duped into buying a game under false pretenses(which I consider to be just as immoral). Many games are not worth the standard price of $60 and shouldn't be fully supported by buying them at that price.

I see used games as a more limited/controlled form of piracy in a sense. It's more closely limited to a finite number of copies, but the original makers still aren't seeing any money from it, and as long as the games are cared for they can be resold a many number of times(though the money going to the middleman or an individual does help them). Of course if the game is no longer being sold as new by the creators, then it really makes no difference at all if you buy it used or not.

It's too big a gray area to have a definite answer under, though if it really is such a big issue for game developers then they can try to have a law passed restricting used game sales for a year after the release date. I find that's about the time period on most games until there is a price drop on buying it new anyways.

Or they could just start doing digital only sales, but that would just piss everyone off, myself included.

BadKarma5g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BadKarma5g
Member since 2008 • 67 Posts
If your buyin the game used its prob not the greatest game in history anyway or it wouldn't be availiable an someone wouldn't have traded it in. Make the developers sweat an make great games an save yourself a few bucks if you want a used game. Not all used games suck but who has more money you or the corporations?
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ReddestSkies

The money in my pockets is a greater concern to me than the money in the devs. pockets. I don't really see this as a morality issue.getyeryayasout

Funny, I've heard pirates tell me the same thing.

RunOut1724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RunOut1724
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts

I've always been against buying used games....because i like getting a new game and opening it up for the first time and taking a big whiff of that "New Game Smell!" that comes with each and every game!!! Funny part is im dead serious. :lol:

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
Not at all, that is like saying that buying anything 2nd hand is inmoral.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44565 Posts
Definately not in fact I think it makes for a healthy game market. When people go and trade-in games at places like GS they are doing so for other gaming products. Therefore more product gets "sold" because consumers don't necessarily always have to spend cash straight up and the stores make their money from selling the used games and are able to keep product stocked and this keeps the cycle going at it's current pace.
HardQuor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HardQuor
Member since 2007 • 1282 Posts

Definately not in fact I think it makes for a healthy game market. When people go and trade-in games at places like GS they are doing so for other gaming products. Therefore more product gets "sold" because consumers don't necessarily always have to spend cash straight up and the stores make their money from selling the used games and are able to keep product stocked and this keeps the cycle going at it's current pace.Archangel3371

This is, by far, the best and only good argument in favor of a used game market. I'm surprised i didn't see it come up sooner. Or maybe i just missed it? Either way, i'm still on the fence.

hayden1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 hayden1976
Member since 2007 • 84 Posts
thats all I buy is used games normally around 4-5 dollars ( ps2 and x-box) the last new release I bought was metal gear solid back in 98. I see nothing wrong with it, besides the game industry has never been bigger:idea:
Avatar image for deactivated-5df4e79c309ad
deactivated-5df4e79c309ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5df4e79c309ad
Member since 2005 • 6045 Posts
Many people buy used cars or used music CDs or cassettes. I don't see what is wrong with buying used video games. If selling anything used is wrong, then garage sales would be wrong; which I don't believe to be the case.
Ivellious07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ivellious07
Member since 2008 • 37 Posts
As long as the game comes with a complete case, and instruction manual, and the game is in good condition, I see no problem with buying a used game.
gbpman630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gbpman630
Member since 2003 • 2795 Posts
Immoral? No, I don't think so.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts

Is it morally wrong to buy a used car? Of course not. I've bought some used games and it's simply the publishers fault for not printing enough copies. Their loss.Nifty_Shark

no, its not the publishers fault... its people who think they will get money for thier trade ins.

i barely buy used games if there arn't any copies at the store then i will look at the used section. one reason i don't buy used games is because gamestop charges more then the person who traded it in. another one is that its only $5 savings... i don't care about 5 savings. the new game is $60 the person who traded it in would get 20-30 used and they will sell it for $55....

i think it is kind of wrong to buy used games because of the prices on them. it is to expensive to buy a used game at the rprice they charge it at.

Chogyam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Chogyam
Member since 2003 • 1887 Posts
wait a sec. You buy a used game, no profits are going to the makers of the game.... i can see it now. People who buy used games are PIRATES!!!!!!!!!!!!