Is Burnout Paradise a good game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Burnout Paradise a good game? (20 votes)

Yes 70%
No 30%
 • 
vespuche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 vespuche
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

Don't recall which one I played but the franchise is great.

Top notch arcade racing.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7271 Posts

Yes, but it had some annoyances that made it less enjoyable than previous entries. Point to point racing got bogged down by having to constantly check the map to avoid bad turns, Showtime was a poor substitute for Crash Mode, and there was no split-screen. 3 and Revenge will always be the series peak.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts
@judaspete said:

3 and Revenge will always be the series peak.

2 & 3 were the best from this series. Revenge made it too easy with the traffic checking and being able to just ram through/bounce off traffic in your lane, instead of crashing.

And 2 had the best crash mode.

Hated Paradise, as the open world is actually a big detriment.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7271 Posts

@bussinrounds: You may be right. To be honest, I never played 2. I thought the first was okay, and didn't really pay attention again until everyone started gushing about Takedown. Maybe I'll track down a copy.

And yes, the open world did hurt Paridise. These games are best after you've become familiar with the tracks. Couldn't really do that with the open world.

chemicalegypt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 chemicalegypt
Member since 2005 • 75 Posts

Takedown was miles better compared to the time it came. Paradise is ok, didnt hook me up as much as takedown did.

311Music

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 311Music
Member since 2003 • 7919 Posts

One of the few racers I really enjoyed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

No, I thought making Burnout Paradise open world ruined the game. I love the previous Burnout games though. Burnout 3 is the best.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

I did enjoy Burnout PAradise.

I enjoyed the open world especially for the late races where I took the time to do the race alone and a road to follow fast enough and in which I don't fumble too much.

the part that I had the most fun was the stun races and the road rage.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#9 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@judaspete said:

Yes, but it had some annoyances that made it less enjoyable than previous entries. Point to point racing got bogged down by having to constantly check the map to avoid bad turns, Showtime was a poor substitute for Crash Mode, and there was no split-screen. 3 and Revenge will always be the series peak.

Yep. That was my one and only problem. The game was a lot of fun and had the best hits from all the other games soundtracks. Played it to completion on X360 and again on pc. Much fun!

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts

I really enjoyed my first 12-16 hours with it but...there are some truly irksome design choices that are making it hard to keep playing. While I initially loved the open world aspect - I'm one of those people who spent hours just driving around GTA IV and V purely for the joy of driving - it's incredibly frustrating that you can't simply quick start events. Once you've got all the collectibles and you're just trying to go for the Burnout Elite License, you want to just run the damn races and get your wins and it becomes an annoying pain in the ass to start an event and, should you lose, find yourself halfway across the damn map from where you started and have to waste time driving back to retry it. I should be able to just open the map, click on the event I want to run and have it start me there. Similarly, if I know I'm going to lose an event, I should be able to hit Start on the controller and select Restart or Quit, instead of bringing my vehicle to a complete stop, waiting a few seconds for the event to cancel out, and then either drive back to the start or, the often quicker option, quit to the main menu and reload the damn game. Furthermore, the slow-mo crash cam is kinda cool/entertaining for the first few hours but, eventually, it feels like a petty, vindictive wasting of my time. There should be an option to turn that shit off, because when you're on your fifth or sixth attempt of running a Burning Route with a crap car that handles like complete ass, that unskippable slow motion crash scene feels like spiteful trolling from the developers that makes me wish they'd all get cancer.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, yeah, it's a good game right up until it isn't.

CheeseNubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#11 CheeseNubs
Member since 2016 • 10 Posts

i enjoyed it but it was one of those games i had to play with friends to enjoy. my friends and i had so much fun at the airfield(i think it thats what it was called) playing marked man, and then we got the faster cars we played on the highway with the random civilian cars. and when we wanted to chill we would do the 8 player challenges.

CheeseNubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#12  Edited By CheeseNubs
Member since 2016 • 10 Posts

@thedarklinglord said:

I really enjoyed my first 12-16 hours with it but...there are some truly irksome design choices that are making it hard to keep playing. While I initially loved the open world aspect - I'm one of those people who spent hours just driving around GTA IV and V purely for the joy of driving - it's incredibly frustrating that you can't simply quick start events. Once you've got all the collectibles and you're just trying to go for the Burnout Elite License, you want to just run the damn races and get your wins and it becomes an annoying pain in the ass to start an event and, should you lose, find yourself halfway across the damn map from where you started and have to waste time driving back to retry it. I should be able to just open the map, click on the event I want to run and have it start me there. Similarly, if I know I'm going to lose an event, I should be able to hit Start on the controller and select Restart or Quit, instead of bringing my vehicle to a complete stop, waiting a few seconds for the event to cancel out, and then either drive back to the start or, the often quicker option, quit to the main menu and reload the damn game. Furthermore, the slow-mo crash cam is kinda cool/entertaining for the first few hours but, eventually, it feels like a petty, vindictive wasting of my time. There should be an option to turn that shit off, because when you're on your fifth or sixth attempt of running a Burning Route with a crap car that handles like complete ass, that unskippable slow motion crash scene feels like spiteful trolling from the developers that makes me wish they'd all get cancer.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, yeah, it's a good game right up until it isn't.

IIRC there was way to instantly restart an event without having to drive all the way back. i remember doing it.