Hawke_Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hawke_Girl
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

There have been some people trying to say that the way bayonetta is portrayed isn’t sexist. With how often the entire screen is blocked out by her ass and tits I really don’t see how that is possible, how can a guy look at that and not realize he is being manipulated by sex? I argued this with a friend recently and they didn’t make a good case, but I have heard this elsewhere, and I am legitimately curious to know how anyone can say that isn’t sexist, someone please explain!!

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#2  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Wow.. I have never said "Oh for ****'s sake" twice in a row, until now. OH FOR ****'S SAKE! Learn the difference between sexy and sexist.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Easy.... Bayonetta knows exactly what shes doing and is comfortable with who she is.

God forbid we live in a society where women consiously make the decision to become strippers and prostitutes.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I wouldn't say that Bayonetta, as a character, is a sexist portrayal of women.

I mean, she's a strong-willed, extremely competent action-woman who is also portrayed a caring mother (in the first game...eventually...more or less!), and who is definitely a commanding exhibitionist rather than an objectified sex doll. She's supremely comfortable with her sexuality, and utilises it to make herself even more powerful than she already is.

I don't think those traits are necessarily bad things. It's certainly better than a female character being ashamed of their sexuality, and arguably better than a character like Lara Croft, who is sexuality objectified in spite of being a badass action-woman. Bayonetta was also designed by a woman - which may help, but may also mean nothing.

It's possible that the game Bayonetta 2 is sexist in its depiction of this character - the awkward use of camera angles, and so on - but I couldn't say for sure. I haven't gotten around to Bayonetta 2 yet.

Even so...replaying Bayonetta 1, I'm surprised about how unsexualised everything is. There's shock value early on with nun outfits and poledancing and lollipops and whatnot, but after a couple of missions, her sexuality is just there without really being exploited. Most of the game plays like a straight beat-em-up, albeit one with an eccentric protagonist.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

No, it's a design choice.

@Planeforger said:

I mean, she's a strong-willed, extremely competent action-woman who is also portrayed a caring mother (in the first game...eventually...more or less!), and who is definitely a commanding exhibitionist rather than an objectified sex doll. She's supremely comfortable with her sexuality, and utilises it to make herself even more powerful than she already is.

I don't think those traits are necessarily bad things. It's certainly better than a female character being ashamed of their sexuality, and arguably better than a character like Lara Croft, who is sexuality objectified in spite of being a badass action-woman. Bayonetta was also designed by a woman - which may help, but may also mean nothing.

It's possible that the game Bayonetta 2 is sexist in its depiction of this character - the awkward use of camera angles, and so on - but I couldn't say for sure. I haven't gotten around to Bayonetta 2 yet.

Even so...replaying Bayonetta 1, I'm surprised about how unsexualised everything is. There's shock value early on with nun outfits and poledancing and lollipops and whatnot, but after a couple of missions, her sexuality is just there without really being exploited. Most of the game plays like a straight beat-em-up, albeit one with an eccentric protagonist.

Wrong genre to describe games like this. Character-driven action games or action adventure games are much more accepted.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JustPlainLucas

@UnbiasedPoster said:

No, it's a design choice.

@Planeforger said:

Wrong genre to describe games like this. Character-driven action games or action adventure games are much more accepted.

You do realize you just listed broad genres, right? Beat-em-up is a sub-genre of action. You beat people (well, angels) up in Bayonetta. It's a beat-em-up.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

You do realize you just listed broad genres, right? Beat-em-up is a sub-genre of action. You beat people (well, angels) up in Bayonetta. It's a beat-em-up.

That's a poor explanation. So many games have guns or bows, that doesn't make them all shooters.

Bayonetta is not a beat-em-up. That term is reserved for 2d games like Streets of Rage or 3d games like The Bouncer.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JustPlainLucas

@UnbiasedPoster said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

That's a poor explanation. So many games have guns or bows, that doesn't make them all shooters.

Bayonetta is not a beat-em-up. That term is reserved for 2d games like Streets of Rage or 3d games like The Bouncer.

Well, character-driven action game is ridiculous. Every game is character-driven. And it's certainly not an action adventure game. It's a beat-em-up with occasional shooting.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#9 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

It's tacky, not sexist.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Why should women feel ashamed of their body and sexuality?

Tenryuu_Kantai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Tenryuu_Kantai
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Should rhetorical questions be answered?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@JustPlainLucas

I think it is a Beat'em Up game. Infact Hack n Slah annd Beat'em Ups seem to criss Cross alot.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#13  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

shes a powerful badass. She makes all women look good. I don't see how its sexist just cause she looks good doing it.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Everyone's a little bit sexist sometimes. Doesn't mean we go around committing hate crime.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

No. Like others have said, she's sexy not sexist.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#16 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

No. Like others have said, she's sexy not sexist.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

What exactly about Bayonetta is discriminatory towards the female sex?

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

Wasn't this exact thread done like a week or 2 ago?