Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Thomabsolutely
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hello

So after watching the original alien movie from 1979 and watching a whole play through of Alien Isolation I am extremely tempted to buy it. But there is one problem I have never played any horror games or watched any horror movie except alien which didn't scare me at all as I knew everything that was going to happen. The only game I played that could be considered scary was Ravenholm in HL2 one year ago.

Is alien isolation really that scary or is it worth playing if you are a massive alien fan like me?

Thanks

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

No. If your looking for something Truly scary aliens isn't it. after the first few times dying the alien losses his scariness and it kind of loses it's touch. Not a bad game it's long and fits the world very well. But for me personally I didn't get much past 8 hours, didn't keep my interest, but I think that was in large part due to the horrible lighting and particle effects, that looked off at 1440p.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

depends on how you play the game and how immersed you get, I found it terrifying and the game was a breath of fresh air to see a high budget game not go all action on your ass.

Its worth buying, even the above poster said he played it for 8 hours, 8 hours gameplay for its price is good now a days.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

It is most assuredly worth it for any fan of the original Alien movie. The game is designed to be filled throughout with frightening, tense, and difficult moments; it certainly delivers. If you push yourself to try to get through the game in only a couple sittings, then it will likely frustrate you to the point of hating it. That is what happened with the Gamespot and IGN reviewers. But don't rush, let yourself be immersed in it and simply accept that it is an intentionally hard game, no matter what difficulty to choose to play, and you will be very pleased with the experience. It is a true survival horror game.

And if Yahtzee says a game is good, then that is really saying something since he typically seems to hate everything. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/9817-Alien-Isolation-Review

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

I personally hated it, despite enjoying the source material. I only played it for about 2 hours, but it was among the most boring 2 hours of gaming in my life. I am not the type of gamer who needs every second to be action packed, but there was just too much nothingness going on for me to enjoy the game.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

It would help if you had a gaming PC.

Thomabsolutely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Thomabsolutely

Well I am probably going to pick it up even if the reviews are pretty mixed. Some people say its really good (yahtzee/zero punctuation,Jim Sterling, games radar) and some say its extremely boring ( IGN,Gamespot). The worst thing that could happen is that its way too scary for me and i'll just leave it sitting in my library for a couple of months. Going to try not to shit my pants during my play through (I am extremely easy to scare) and I guess all the down time when the xenomorph isn't here might even be a good thing for me as I won't be getting as much of a heart attack! ;) Thanks for the answers

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#8 waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

While I found the xenomorph encounters to be genuinely unnerving, I don't think the game overall was that great. i always found myself getting very annoyed at some of the games more tedious and sometimes boring points between alien encounters, and at one point you receive a weapon that essentially scares the alien away whenever it gets too close, making the threat a lot less real. All this is wrapped up in a story that's not terrible, but just average in my opinion, so I would say no, especially if its you'r first experience with survival horror games.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Im playing it right now, I don't regret it buying it at all. I had a few jump scares. It's not the greatest game but its average. I payed $40 for it. Not sure I would pay the full $65

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 593

#10 hxce
Member since 2006 • 2099 Posts

@thomabsolutely: I'd wait at least a year or two so you can buy a bundled version with all the expansions. Because this is where we're heading: :P

Thomabsolutely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Thomabsolutely

Well now I'm REALLY doubting in buying the game because i'll probably not finish it because of scares/boredom

Thomabsolutely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Thomabsolutely

The thing is that my classic multiplayer games like destiny backlight and BF4 are just starting to get boring. Played one game of Bf4 today and just stopped because it was too boring. Thats why I was thinking of buying alien or cod aw so I can feel the thrills of a new game again.

So now its between cod and alien

Your opinion?

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

@thomabsolutely said:

The thing is that my classic multiplayer games like destiny backlight and BF4 are just starting to get boring. Played one game of Bf4 today and just stopped because it was too boring. Thats why I was thinking of buying alien or cod aw so I can feel the thrills of a new game again.

So now its between cod and alien

Your opinion?

Are you looking for a singleplayer experience or multiplayer? Cod multiplayer, Alien Single player.

Thomabsolutely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Thomabsolutely

Well I'll probably wait for christmas/thanksgiving sales for alien and buy COD AW. BTW I just looked at peoples opinion on cod aw on the battlefield forums and I was laughing my ass off at how mad people were getting if you haven't checked it out yet I definitely recommend it if you want a good laugh