I'm looking for a new 360 TPS with an interesting hook.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
In the past, I've found that some of the most irredeemably mediocre shooters can be great fun with the right hook- Mercenaries 2 had airstrikes and building destruction, Fracture had the terrain altering mechanic, WET had acrobatic slomo(and an awesome soundtrack), and even Bionic Commandohad the swinging arm. So lately I've been looking for a new shooter, but run-of-the-mill just isn't going to cut it anymore. Anyone have any suggestions? And I'm not afraid of older titles.
kinhdoanh21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kinhdoanh21x
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
WOW..Very nice info, thanks for sharing! Welcome to: http://taifacebook.us
Husko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Husko
Member since 2003 • 162 Posts
what? no red dead redemption? I consider that to be a TPS. And it has to be the greatest game ever created. Heck even after finishing the game two times I still load it up at least once a week just to saddle up, shoot a few people, steel horses, hunt wild life, rob a train, play poker, liars dice, horse shoes, or just to hog tie a woman to a rail road track and wait for a train. :D
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="Husko"]what? no red dead redemption? I consider that to be a TPS. And it has to be the greatest game ever created. Heck even after finishing the game two times I still load it up at least once a week just to saddle up, shoot a few people, steel horses, hunt wild life, rob a train, play poker, liars dice, horse shoes, or just to hog tie a woman to a rail road track and wait for a train. :D

Red Dead was good, sure, but it has no hook. It's strictly run-of-the-mill.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a263a314f72b
deactivated-5a263a314f72b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: -3

#5 deactivated-5a263a314f72b
Member since 2010 • 196 Posts

Hmm, you already mentioned "Fracture" with the terrain deformation, so how about the following TPS:

"Inversion"- The Hook: Anti-Gravity

"Binary Domain"- The Hook: LOL, I'm not sure, to be honest! Dialogue/Command Options with Consequences? Strategic Dismemberment of Robots?

"Red Faction: Gurerrilla"- The Hook: mass destruction of almost anything in sight

"Red Faction: Armageddon"- The Hook: that "forge" thingie that repairs damaged structures

"Spec Ops: The Line"- The Hook: not so much so the gameplay, but the dark & twisted story

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 El_Zo1212o

Hmm, you already mentioned "Fracture" with the terrain deformation, so how about the following TPS:

"Binary Domain"- The Hook: LOL, I'm not sure, to be honest! Dialogue/Command Options with Consequences? Strategic Dismemberment of Robots?

"Red Faction: Gurerrilla"- The Hook: mass destruction of almost anything in sight

"Red Faction: Armageddon"- The Hook: that "forge" thingie that repairs damaged structures

"Spec Ops: The Line"- The Hook: not so much so the gameplay, but the dark & twisted story

GAME-QUEST-EX
A superb list- I was looking into Inversion, but something happened and I wasn't able to pick it up. Binary Domain- wasn't it an FPS? If not, I'll definitely look into it. RF: G- finished it last year- I loved the destruction to pieces(ha ha). It was just too bad the landscape was so boring! RF: A- I'm more for the knocking down than building up kinda guy, y'know? Spec Ops: The Line- man was that game ever disturbing... it was an utterly mediocre shooter, but it's presentation was amazing.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 El_Zo1212o
GAME-QUEST-EX
And thanks, by the way, for getting me. Most people don't understand the idea of "the hook."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5a263a314f72b

[QUOTE="GAME-QUEST-EX"]

El_Zo1212o

A superb list- I was looking into Inversion, but something happened and I wasn't able to pick it up. Binary Domain- wasn't it an FPS? If not, I'll definitely look into it. RF: G- finished it last year- I loved the destruction to pieces(ha ha). It was just too bad the landscape was so boring! RF: A- I'm more for the knocking down than building up kinda guy, y'know? Spec Ops: The Line- man was that game ever disturbing... it was an utterly mediocre shooter, but it's presentation was amazing.

"Binary Domain" is definitely a 3rd Person Shooter, not an FPS. You're in command of a squad of 3 troops & you basically shoot the heck out of enemy robots. Your actions & dialogue tree choices affect how your team mates respond to your commands or treat you during different parts of the game.

A few other other TPS you may want to try are:

"Quantum Theory," borrows concepts from many other TPS like "Gears of War." The main character is this tough guy who has a female partner he can literally hurl at enemies while she strikes them with her sword or something. I guess that can be considered the "Hook" to this game, though, to be honest, I did not like the demo of this game too much; control & camera issues.

Also, you really can't go wrong with either of the "Earth Defense Force 2017" or "Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon." Your "hooks" here are the different classes of combat troopers, their weapons & abilities, which are unique to them. All that, plus you get to squash some really ugly & really large alien bugs!

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="GAME-QUEST-EX"]

GAME-QUEST-EX

"Binary Domain" is definitely a 3rd Person Shooter, not an FPS. You're in command of a squad of 3 troops & you basically shoot the heck out of enemy robots. Your actions & dialogue tree choices affect how your team mates respond to your commands or treat you during different parts of the game.

"Quantum Theory," borrows concepts from many other TPS like "Gears of War." The main character is this tough guy who has a female partner he can literally hurl at enemies while she strikes them with her sword or something. I guess that can be considered the "Hook" to this game, though, to be honest, I did not like the demo of this game too much; control & camera issues.

Also, you really can't go wrong with either of the "Earth Defense Force 2017" or "Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon." Your "hooks" here are the different classes of combat troopers, their weapons & abilities, which are unique to them. All that, plus you get to squash some really ugly & really large alien bugs!

EDF: Insect Armageddon is great for a mindless good time. Quantum Theory- is that a retail game? I don't think I've ever heard of it... he actually throws his companion at enemies? Is it a shooter or a melee action game? And is it co op?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5a263a314f72b

[QUOTE="GAME-QUEST-EX"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] A superb list- I was looking into Inversion, but something happened and I wasn't able to pick it up. Binary Domain- wasn't it an FPS? If not, I'll definitely look into it. RF: G- finished it last year- I loved the destruction to pieces(ha ha). It was just too bad the landscape was so boring! RF: A- I'm more for the knocking down than building up kinda guy, y'know? Spec Ops: The Line- man was that game ever disturbing... it was an utterly mediocre shooter, but it's presentation was amazing.El_Zo1212o

"EDF: Insect Armageddon is great for a mindless good time.

Quantum Theory- is that a retail game? I don't think I've ever heard of it... he actually throws his companion at enemies? Is it a shooter or a melee action game? And is it co op?"

"Quantum Theory" is a 3rd Person Cover-Based Shooter, developed by Team Tachyon & published by Tecmo. It was released on disc as a retail game in September of 2010, for the Xbox 360 & PS3.

Yes: the main character Syd flings Filena at the enemies & she attacks them in the process. It's something like a secondary attack for Syd, so the entire game itself is not a melee-based brawler.

Quantum Theory has multi-player modes, but I don't think it has any Co-Op for the main campaign.

http://www.gamespot.com/quantum-theory/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Theory_(video_game)

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

tomb raider

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
The SEGA trifecta. Vanquish, Binary Domain, and The Club are the three best third person shooters of this generation, in that order.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="famicommander"]The SEGA trifecta. Vanquish, Binary Domain, and The Club are the three best third person shooters of this generation, in that order.

Vanquish failed(and I really did want to like it) because melee combat was a huge liability. Binary Domain... wasn't that the FPS where you would hack the bosses to stun them? If so, I played the demo and it was enough. I don't think I've ever heard of The Club, unless it was that one about making several runs through badguy-laced obstacle courses for leaderboard standings... if so, that isn't really my bag, either.