IGN Reviews the Orange Box - 9.5!!

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Dutch_Mix
Member since 2005 • 29266 Posts

Link to the review

Can't wait to buy it! :)

(If you've already got the game, post yer' impressions of it here.)

Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts
Not surprised, I'll be getting mine tomorrow. I wonder why it was not a ten? 'Cause it was 75% re-release?
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

The fact that they merely upgraded the woefully underpowered XB1 version of HL2 pisses me off something fierce, almost enough not to get the game. However, everything else sounds top notch so I guess it's still worth the price of admission.

But seriously, the XB360 version can't match the graphics of a three-year old game?

Bull****.

Especially considering how good Episode Two is supposed to look.

Way to cut corners, Valve.

greenpyro33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 greenpyro33
Member since 2007 • 3872 Posts
I'm thinking about picking this game up
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

The fact that they merely upgraded the woefully underpowered XB1 version of HL2 pisses me off something fierce, almost enough not to get the game. However, everything else sounds top notch so I guess it's still worth the price of admission.

But seriously, the XB360 version can't match the graphics of a three-year old game?

Bull****.

Grammaton-Cleric
Yeah, I'm disappointed by this, especially since they were saying that HL2 for the 360 was going to be running on the Ep. 2 version of Source, so it was actually supposed to look better than the original PC version running at high spec-- it was supposed to have HDL.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Damn... I have to wait until Friday when I get payed, but im salivating at this. The Orange Box is one of my most anticipated titles of the year! And then later on this month its Phoneix Wright 3 and Guitar Hero 3.... *swoon*
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

I'm skipping on this, with COD4 around the corner which I know firsthand will offer the definitive consoleonline experience, and Mass Effect right around the corner....I don't need to buy 5 shooters in the span of 2 months. The Orange Box missed its window for me.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GodModeEnabled

I'm skipping on this, with COD4 around the corner which I know firsthand will offer the definitive consoleonline experience, and Mass Effect right around the corner....I don't need to buy 5 shooters in the span of 2 months. The Orange Box missed its window for me.

HiResDes
Half Life 2... Half Life 2: Episode 1.... Half Life 2: Episode 2.... Team Fortress and Portal for the price of one game?! With upgraded graphics, online and achievments? d.....dude... thats a lot of lovin for your buck.
JGonspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JGonspy
Member since 2003 • 581 Posts

Bull****.

Grammaton-Cleric

Considering the lack of players in Team Fortress 2 (16 on 360 and 24 on PC) and future maps being promised for the PC version of the game, I think this is more of a case of Valve steering people towards the version that connects you to multiplayer through Steam rather then the one that connects you through X-Box Live.

Also, Steam has just added a new community feature that's very familiar...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Not surprised. 5 amazing games in one box (some may consider EP1 and EP2 HL2, but I consider them like sequels to HL2).

If mods counted in game reviews, I'd not be surprised if the PC version scored a 10 everywhere.
Prodigy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Prodigy_basic
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

The fact that they merely upgraded the woefully underpowered XB1 version of HL2 pisses me off something fierce, almost enough not to get the game. However, everything else sounds top notch so I guess it's still worth the price of admission. Grammaton-Cleric

yeah, i didn't like reading this part in the IGN review either...

i played through the xbox version of half-life2 for maybe an hour and a half tops, then the rumors started flying that a 360 version with PC-quality graphics would be coming out eventually, so i stopped playing...

and now reading the review...i'll still get the game, but hopefully the experience will be more enjoyable...

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
Link to the PC version of that page..
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44666 Posts
Sweet. Although I too am disappointed that they merely upgraded the original Xbox version of HL2 for the 360. Oh well it's still a very cool package overall so I'll definately be picking this game up however I'll get it a little later on like after I grab Ace Combat 6, Virtua Fighter 5, and Mass Effect first.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#14 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
This is a game package real FPS fans should own on PC. But for the people with a smaller budget the 360 version lets them play it. As for the TF2 player limits, it's 16 on the Xbox and so far I've seen 32 on the PC, although I wouldn't be surprised seeing a few mod maps with like massive amounts of players like they did with CS:S.
DarkSidexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DarkSidexxx
Member since 2007 • 364 Posts
This is a must have and definately worth the price!!!! I'm getting the PC verson..I can't wait to play Episode 2!!!!
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

As a guy who has never played any of the included games, Orange Box sounds like a great value, but the fact that Half Life 2 is a lazy port (one minute mid-level loads and lackluster graphics?) means that I won't be picking up the Orange Box until after Christmas.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#17 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

The fact that they merely upgraded the woefully underpowered XB1 version of HL2 pisses me off something fierce, almost enough not to get the game. However, everything else sounds top notch so I guess it's still worth the price of admission.Grammaton-Cleric

While I can understand your disappointment, I think it's merely a matter of resources. In the past year and a half, Valve made three new games and ported them to the Xbox 360. I assume it was much simpler for them to use the Xbox port of Half-Life 2 than to go through the full porting process once again. Besides, this is Valve, it's Source which means that anyone whose PC is above the specs of a typewriter should go for the PC version. Otherwise you're missing out on a ton of post-release content.

But honestly, even if Half-Life 2 was only the Xbox version with no enhancements whatsoever, this box is still more than worth the price of admission in a time when barebone games are being sold for full price. Seriously, Episode Two itself is basically the same lenght as Heavenly Sword. Let's not even mention that it's actually a much better game as well.

I think this screen says it all:

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

Even though I'm certainly getting it, I was really hoping that they would upgrade the graphics for both the PC and the 360 versions of Half Life 2. Really disappointing, I was hoping for Ep Two changes in the original game. However, it really is a question of resources, and as a package this looks amazing.

Makes me wonder how the port guys aregoing to treat Half Life 2 on the PS3, upgrade the scrapped PS2 version? :P

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 UpInFlames

Here's Eurogamer's review - a straight-up 10:

Oh Valve, you're spoiling us. There are only two reasons why anyone with the kit or the means to pay for it would think of not buying The Orange Box. Number 1) You have some pathological aversion to first-person shooters, or, Number 2) You're a bit loopy in the head and like denying yourself the chance to play five of the best games ever released. Gaming masochism if you like.

Including the three constituent parts of Half-Life 2 in one box, then throwing in the incredible Portal and possibly the best team-based online FPS ever made in Team Fortress 2...it's easily the best value release anyone has ever come up with, and one so rammed with quality it's hard to comprehend. Even if you're one of the many people already played HL2 or Episode One, it represents such astonishing value that it ought to shock competing releases into shame.

Wow, I'm kind of surprised by these scores. I actually thought that Half-Life 2 and Episode One would drag the scores down despite its obvious value factor, but it would seem that I was wrong.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

This is a must have and definately worth the price!!!! I'm getting the PC verson..I can't wait to play Episode 2!!!!DarkSidexxx

nice sig :roll:

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
Looking good, but then again, HL 2 was one of my favorite games of last gen - so no surprise there.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Even if it means people are getting hurt, I am doing whatever it takes to get this game today.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GodModeEnabled
Even if it means people are getting hurt, I am doing whatever it takes to get this game today.rragnaar
bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

It's a nice touch that people who already have HL2 and EP1 on their steam account can gift the copy of each game that comes with the Orange box. So it can't be dragged down for value however we look at it.

This will make me feel a lot less bad about having paid for those games earlier (the fact that I played and loved them does too :P )

I can't say that the fact that HL2 hasn't been grafically upgraded bothers me at all either.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rragnaar
terminator.jpgGodModeEnabled

Nah it is more like this:

"Don't care how, I want it now!"
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

9.5 Presentation
The menus are slick and there's developer commentary for four of the five games. Only the hideous box art and some annoying load times keep this from perfection.Hilary Goldstein

I hope that didn't influence the overall score. Box art is kind of a dumb thing to complain about.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rragnaar

[QUOTE="Hilary Goldstein"]9.5 Presentation
The menus are slick and there's developer commentary for four of the five games. Only the hideous box art and some annoying load times keep this from perfection.[

I hope that didn't influence the overall score. Box art is kind of a dumb thing to complain about.

LordAndrew

I assume it was just a joke... but still it is some ugly boxart.
hair001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hair001
Member since 2005 • 1202 Posts

[QUOTE="Hilary Goldstein"]9.5 Presentation
The menus are slick and there's developer commentary for four of the five games. Only the hideous box art and some annoying load times keep this from perfection.[

LordAndrew
I don't think it detracts from the overall score. But it is discusting. Come to think of it all HL packaging has sucked. It's not a biggy, but I do love the feeling of a new game of mine in my hands for the first time, and nice box art (e.g. Zelda TP) makes that even better
DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts
That's a pretty good score I can't wait to get this game.
james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 james28893
Member since 2007 • 3252 Posts
I was going to get it for PC but my Steam is messed up. It says that the friend list won't load or something like that. If someone could help me out could you send a message.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rragnaar
I am the proud owner of a brand new Orange Box!  Can't wait to get home tonight and play it.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rragnaar

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]I am the proud owner of a brand new Orange Box! Can't wait to get home tonight and play it.dvader654

I cant believe this is delayed for the PS3. Does the PS3 get anything on time?

I think it got all the NBA games on time, and COD4 seems to be on track... I hope that means that things are improving, but I am very naive with this kind of stuff.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
[QUOTE="HiResDes"]

GodModeEnabled

Half Life 2... Half Life 2: Episode 1.... Half Life 2: Episode 2.... Team Fortress and Portal for the price of one game?! With upgraded graphics, online and achievments? d.....dude... thats a lot of lovin for your buck.

It's worth the cash but I already have the rest so I'm just getting EP2 which comes with Portal and TF2.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 UpInFlames

I cant believe this is delayed for the PS3. Does the PS3 get anything on time?dvader654

Nevermind the delay, the fact that it's being done by EA is what you should really be worrying about. :o

By the way, 1UP (if their opinion even matters) gave The Orange Box a 10 calling it the best game compilation ever. Also, thus far no one but IGN said anything about Half-Life 2's visuals being downgraded from the PC version, everyone is saying that it looks fantastic and Team Xbox says it even has HDR...so I'm not really sure what's going on there.

marty_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 marty_81
Member since 2003 • 2823 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"]I cant believe this is delayed for the PS3. Does the PS3 get anything on time?UpInFlames

Nevermind the delay, the fact that it's being done by EA is what you should really be worrying about. :o

By the way, 1UP (if their opinion even matters) gave The Orange Box a 10 calling it the best game compilation ever. Also, thus far no one but IGN said anything about Half-Life 2's visuals being downgraded from the PC version, everyone is saying that it looks fantastic and Team Xbox says it even has HDR...so I'm not really sure what's going on there.

Yeah. I'm also hearing that from other users. I guess I'll find out tommorow.
D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"]I cant believe this is delayed for the PS3. Does the PS3 get anything on time?UpInFlames

Yeah, I think its safe to go with the 360/PC version as Valveworked onboth platforms unlike EA doing the PS3 version...

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
Just got back home. Everything is preloaded on steam and I got my copy for the 360. I'll have my own comparison up on my blog something next week :)
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rragnaar
Just got back home. Everything is preloaded on steam and I got my copy for the 360. I'll have my own comparison up on my blog something next week :)rimnet00
Sweet!  I look forward to that.
SKHuskie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SKHuskie
Member since 2007 • 271 Posts
When will the PS3 verson even be released?
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rragnaar
When will the PS3 verson even be released?SKHuskie

It should be out sometime around the middle of November I think.  I was just watching some footage of Portal from the PS3 version, and it actually looks really great.  This is courtesy of NeoGAF:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22207.html?type=flv
Oddly enough I don't really doubt the quality of the PS3 version, I just wish it could have released on time.
D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 D3s7rUc71oN

GS just put up its review a 9.5

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/halflife2episode2/review.html?sid=6180714

Wow, we should see a 10 score at this rate soon from GS :D

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 UpInFlames

Wow, did The Orange Box just become a serious GOTY contender?

D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 D3s7rUc71oN

UpInFlames

I'm not surprised, its just that I'm not sure if TF2, EP2, and Portal being enough to make it GOTY. The reason I'm not including HL2 and EP 1 its because those have been released already, if that wasn't the case this game would be GOTY in a heartbeat.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

UpInFlames

For someone like me, who hasn't played ANY Half-Life game, this is like a gift from heavens. I'm actually thinking of buying the whole deal for 360, and TF2 via Steam for PC, just to keep you conveniently punished.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 UpInFlames

I'm not surprised, its just that I'm not sure if TF2, EP2, and Portal being enough to make it GOTY. The reason I'm not including HL2 and EP 1 its because those have been released already, if that wasn't the case this game would be GOTY in a heartbeat.D3s7rUc71oN

That's exactly the kind of reasoning I used when thinking about The Orange Box, of course all these games are awesome, but due to a good portion of the content being previously available, I figured it would bring the scores down a bit - at least for the PC version. But now I'm inclined to think that The Orange Box is recieving accolades not despite Half-Life 2 and Episode One, but rather because of them, if you know what I mean.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 UpInFlames

TF2 via Steam for PC, just to keep you conveniently punished.SteelAttack

"Of course you realize this means war!"

Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts

UpInFlames

I believe so, If it did come down though to it. I would still give the nod to Halo 3 or Mass Effect or Witcher(Believe on the last one lol). Mainly because I don't really think I can count HL2 and HL1 as part of it when announcing the GOTY since that is more like throw on or extra then new content to give it better value. Seem like it would be the same as Halo 3 having Halo 1 and 2 plus everything else. It still deserves a 9.5 and perfects. Beyond fantastic deal. But if i did count then...Then I would have to admit the best game of last gen would be Sega Genesis Collection(Best complilation ever!!! buy now lol)

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

Not surprised to see the 9.5 score. It's unbelievable how many amazing games are coming out this season, and this just might be my next purchase. For a while, I been wanting to get this on the PC, but the fact that my computer can't put the game at the highest visuals (it probably looks worse than the X-Box port) has pulled me over to pick up the console version.

I'll give it another week before I cave in and rush to my nearest Wal-Mart to pick this gem up.

Tiberius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Tiberius
Member since 2002 • 1713 Posts

[QUOTE="D3s7rUc71oN"]I'm not surprised, its just that I'm not sure if TF2, EP2, and Portal being enough to make it GOTY. The reason I'm not including HL2 and EP 1 its because those have been released already, if that wasn't the case this game would be GOTY in a heartbeat.UpInFlames

That's exactly the kind of reasoning I used when thinking about The Orange Box, of course all these games are awesome, but due to a good portion of the content being previously available, I figured it would bring the scores down a bit - at least for the PC version. But now I'm inclined to think that The Orange Box is recieving accolades not despite Half-Life 2 and Episode One, but rather because of them, if you know what I mean.

I think that the simple fact of the matter is that even if HL2 and Episode 1 were excluded, The Orange Box would still be a package of 3 unique and extremely high-quality games, which represent some of the very best of gaming from the first person perspective. That you also get two more similar, excellent, but older games on top of that is just icing on the proverbial cake. :)