If you were to make a game, what genre will it be?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lebbin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

User Lists: 0

#1 Lebbin
Member since 2007 • 2049 Posts

For me it will be a third person shooter, mainly b/c it's what i know the most about.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19571 Posts
Probably an RPG, set somewhere interesting and unique like...I dunno, the Aztec empire?
GamerPro1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 GamerPro1984
Member since 2006 • 818 Posts

Third person shooter, mixedwith button mashing fighter that has rpg elements and objective based missions with free roam. Also would need a Lvling systemwith a cool guage...and uhhm include alot of katanas and light machine guns.

Basically a 3rdperson fighter challege fantasy gunner tale survival quest

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts
A point and Clcik Adventure, not necceserily point and click but an Adventure game. That or something that doesn't fit into a genre.
lynchdogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lynchdogg
Member since 2006 • 570 Posts
Definatly adventure somewhere along the lines of mario 64 and the banjo series that aren't enough games like this on the new consoles
Fauxjangles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Fauxjangles
Member since 2007 • 434 Posts
Hmm... I've thought about a FPS/RTS combination. I expect to see games like Supreme Commander meets Halo as soon as they bring out discs that can hold more content.
WeAreToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WeAreToast
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts
I've imagined making a platformer for a while, so... yes, that.
SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts
Huge budget adventure game. With the people that created Grim Fandango, and The Longest Journey (the original).
cos_vanquish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 cos_vanquish
Member since 2007 • 1143 Posts

There are two games that I would like to create, and 1 of the two I actually plan on making. The one that I would like to make is a RTS, although I'm not quite sure what it will be based upon.

The 2nd, is something I've been working on for a number of years, here and there as far as NPC development, storyline, quests and all the works. It will be an RPG. It will be somewhat along the lines of MMO status, but the servers that I would like to have for it will only allow up to 5 to 10 players on it. Though I am sure, it wil become a single player game first. And then possibly a multiplayer game later on.

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts
I'd make an insane shmup with a thumping techno soundtrack. i've been thinking about it for a while now :twisted:
shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts
A good old style platformer game. Consoles' lack those kind of game these days.
pastro243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pastro243
Member since 2007 • 647 Posts

a good action/ adventure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LF53hLUzpg

Godofnerdyness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Godofnerdyness
Member since 2007 • 3248 Posts
An RPG with a good story.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
An extremely complex, deep, time consuming, mature and challenging RPG that has you actually role-play.

That or an "arty" action-adventure game along the lines of Shadow of the Colossus/ICO.
Chr1s_Stylez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chr1s_Stylez
Member since 2005 • 52 Posts
One that'd be a cross between NFS and GTA
greenzealot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 greenzealot
Member since 2005 • 285 Posts

1. Turn-based tactical stealth game set in feudal Japan.

2. Maritime trading sim set in ancient times when the Phoenicians were masters of Mediterranean trading routes between 1200 and 600 BC.

3. Space sim giving you first-person style command of a starship in much the same way that Silent Hunter gave you access to control a submarine.

creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts

I've been thinking of an incredibly vast and intricate action/adventure/rpg/platformer/third-person shooter for the Wii (only with impossibly beautiful graphics), featuring, among other things...

- clever, wide open platform-like level designs.

- the ability for your character to easily take flight, indefinitely and at any time, with a simple control scheme involving 8-directions on an even plane with the analog stick and up/down with the Nunchuck's C and Z buttons, respectively. A huge part of the gameplay mechanics would be staying in the air, as some stronger enemy attacks will leave you stunned and temporarily at the mercy of gravity.

- a real-time, action-oriented combat system that has has you performing different moves and spells by pointing, clicking and dragging the cursor at different points on the screen, rather than using the Wii-mote's motion control, and the ability to quickly enter a sort of third person shooter mode for accurate projectile fire and camera control (all while moving unhindered with the above-mentioned flight controls, of course).

- absolutely no mindless shooting or button mashing/hack 'n' slash. fighting enemies should be far more strategic and require you to use all or most of your abilities wisely, but also very quickly.

- enemies that each have their own face and name, rather than endless hordes of generic and easily offed baddies, and would require multiple encounters to finally kill, since most confrontation would end in either you or them retreating. These battles would occur, perhaps randomly, at different locations within in the gigantic world, rather than the old confining, event-based boss battles.

- a life system based more on cumulative damage in a certain period of time from any one opponent, rather than universal hit-points that can be drained by anything. In other words, each character would have to hit you with a certain amount of their own "poison" in order for you to die. No recovery items either, it just wears off after time, often providing inventive to retreat.

- rather than learning or upgrading abilities with experience points or by finding items, you get them from killing specific enemies, providing more of an incentive to destroy them than simply progressing through the story. Also, some if not most abilities and kills would be entirely optional, but which ones would be for the player to figure out.

...I think I've got some pretty good ideas there. And no, I don't care if anyone steals them. If any developer actually made my dream game a reality, I'd be beyond delighted. I'll surely never be able to develop it myself.

Avatar image for JannettyTRocker
JannettyTRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JannettyTRocker
Member since 2006 • 1160 Posts
I would like to make a FPS/Sandbox hybrid game. I would create a huge world area such as in GTA San Andreas, and the city would be infested with monsters/bad guys, and you would search the city and do various missions, but in a first-person perspective. So instead of having a first-person shooter that's linear, you would have one huge open world with tons of missions that you can do in any order. I'd also have vehicles (especially flying vehicles), where you could go in to the air and fight other aircraft/spaceships and do various flying missions.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
A voice-controlled military-themed RTS pinball game.
Myviewing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#20 Myviewing
Member since 2006 • 539 Posts
Hmmm... Well if I were to choose which 'genre' of video game to make, I think I would choose either a platformer or anRPG. I say platformer because I would like to do a remake or a sequal of Sonic the Hedgehog(360)except without any of the commonly stated problems (Albeit, I haven't played it but seen footage that makes the game look harder than it should be). I say RPG because it's my favorite genre and I would like to contribute any ideas I have for gameplay or the story line.
Myviewing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Myviewing
Hmmm... Well if I were to choose which 'genre' of video game to make, I think I would choose either a platformer or anRPG. I say platformer because I would like to do a remake or a sequal of Sonic the Hedgehog(360)except without any of the commonly stated problems (Albeit, I haven't played it but seen footage that makes the game look harder than it should be). I say RPG because it's my favorite genre and I would like to contribute any ideas I have for gameplay or the story line.
Myviewing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Myviewing
Nuts... Sorry for the double post, Internet was acting weird for a minute.
Killer_Cyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Killer_Cyborg
Member since 2003 • 2814 Posts
Well I've been working on a idea for quite some time now but it would be a mix of a run-of-the-mill FPS, Tactical Shooter, micro-RTS, macro-RTS and Turn-based strategy ala Civilisation, all mixed up in a MMO environnement. I know, sounds like too much in one place :P Exactly why i'm still polishing the concept. Not that I am a gamemaker so yeah, ideas are all good when you're not limited by a budget in the end ;)
zoradude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 zoradude
Member since 2004 • 1073 Posts
Probably a strat-RPG along the lines of FFT, FE, etc. My most liked genre I believe.
dingo_451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dingo_451
Member since 2006 • 574 Posts
Im feelin. . . Ultra fast paced violent mech combat. Thorw down some brutal, but somewhat realistic third person gunplay and swordplay, with a good few RPG elements. High stakes, very high stakes, and uber poetic. Like, make the manliest of men cry. That, will be my masterpeice.
dgbeard45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 dgbeard45
Member since 2003 • 989 Posts
Third person shooter with platforming and RPG elements. My favorite genres mixed in one (also first person capabilities except during the platforming parts).
Omnicaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Omnicaster
Member since 2007 • 44 Posts
Probably an RPG in the vain of Jade Empire.
strat505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 strat505
Member since 2006 • 1252 Posts

Probably an RPG, I think it would be fun to make one after having played so many.

twopic58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 twopic58
Member since 2007 • 3710 Posts
Something like Banjo, Donkey Kong, or Mario adventure. Or sandbox game like GTA.