If you could relive 1 generation what'd it be?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by iamllamapie (211 posts) 1 year, 23 days ago

Poll: If you could relive 1 generation what'd it be? (39 votes)

1st Gen (1-bit or Pong consoles) 0%
2nd Gen (Early 8-bit eg Atari 2600) 0%
3rd Gen (8-bit era) 8%
4th Gen (16-bit era) 18%
5th Gen (32/64-bit era) 28%
6th Gen (PS2, Xbox, GameCube, Dreamcast era) 46%
7th Gen ( Wii, PS3, 360 era) 0%

These do include handhelds and lesser bought consoles.

Imagine it's your first time going through your chosen era too. Personally mine would be the 5th Generation. There was such variety then and the consoles truly felt different with ports being rather different from one another. When the amount of exclusives were huge and in depth stories were coming into play as well as 3D, making room for all new ways to play.

#1 Edited by spike6958 (4881 posts) -

5th for me, specifically so I could play Final Fantasy VII, and experience once again the soul crushing rage of having Aerith been one of my best party members only for the game to troll me at the end of the first disc and kill her... God damn it Square-Enix, she was the damn mage/healer of the group, why couldn't you have killed Cait Sith instead, stupid fucking marshmallow cat.

#2 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18622 posts) -

@spike6958 said:

5th for me, specifically so I could play Final Fantasy VII, and experience once again the soul crushing rage of having Aerith been one of my best party members only for the game to troll me at the end of the first disc and kill her... God damn it Square-Enix, she was the damn mage/healer of the group, why couldn't you have killed Cait Sith instead, stupid fucking marshmallow cat.

At least FF7 only pulls that crap once. FF4 does it like 5 times.

#3 Posted by Flubbbs (3312 posts) -

def 5th gen.. so many great games

#4 Posted by Cynical_Buzzard (224 posts) -

3rd generation, I regretted never giving the PS1 a chance.

#5 Posted by Morphic (4345 posts) -

toss up between 8 bit and 16bit

#6 Edited by spike6958 (4881 posts) -
@Black_Knight_00 said:

@spike6958 said:

True, but at least FFIV gives you a good number of characters that you can replace them, plus not all the deaths in FFIV where permanent.

#7 Edited by Jag85 (4759 posts) -

Gen 5... Resident Evil 1-3, Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Tomb Raider 1-3, Final Fantasy 7-9, Gran Turismo 1 & 2, Metal Gear Solid, Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask, Vagrant Story, WWF Smackdown 1 & 2, etc.

#8 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18622 posts) -

@spike6958 said:
@Black_Knight_00 said:

@spike6958 said:

True, but at least FFIV gives you a good number of characters that you can replace them, plus not all the deaths in FFIV where permanent.

Oh don't get me wrong: I agree with you. Still, FF7 killed Aeris in a relatively safe stretch of the game. FF4 has this habit of leaving you with your pants down at the worst possible moments.

#9 Posted by yngsten (240 posts) -

32/64 ftw

#10 Posted by WR_Platinum (4667 posts) -

the 16 bit era hands down, the golden age of video games.

#11 Edited by Planeforger (15843 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00: That's not even mentioning Final Fantasy 2, where a protagonist dies pretty much every dungeon!

Anyway, I'd love to relive early-mid 90s PC gaming. I remember seeing so many great games on the shelves of my local computer store, but I was always too young to delve into them.

I've only really started to chip into those titles in the last few years via GOG, but it's not the same as having those big boxes.

#12 Posted by CarcassPlays (62 posts) -

Am I the only one to say the 6th era? We had Twilight Princess, Mario: Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Ratchet & Clank, Lego Star Wars (the original...), Mario Party 7, MGS 3, Kingdom Hearts, Metroid Prime, GTA 3, God of War, Resident Evil 4, Sly Cooper, Halo, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Devil May Cry... Just to name a handful. We had a LOT of great games then. I could always take a step backwards to the 5th gen, because that was pretty great too.. But still. WE EVEN HAD WIND WAKER. WIND. WAKER!!!!

I'm actually surprised nobody chose 7th gen. Don't forget about Modern Warfare 2, Battlefield 3, Bioshock, Portal 2, Skyrim, Oblivion, GTA IV, GTA V, MGS IV, Borderlands, LittleBigPlanet, Left 4 Dead, and even Dead Space...

#13 Edited by huerito323 (1378 posts) -

Toss up between 5th and 6th generation. PS1 and N64 were awesome. But then the Dreamcast, PS2, and Xbox were amazing. I voted for 6th.

#14 Posted by sukraj (23193 posts) -

8th gen

#15 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72962 posts) -

Probably the 6th for me, though the 5th one was amazing aswell

#16 Edited by Riku200 (361 posts) -

I think I'll go with the 6th era. It's the one that left a huge impact in the world of gaming. The 5th did too,but the 6th...well it made serious history. So yeah,I'd like to go back to the 6th generation. I was still a bit too young during the 5th XD

#17 Posted by CarcassPlays (62 posts) -

@sukraj: We're right now in the 8th gen. You can't relive something that hasn't even really started...

#18 Posted by mother_farter (16665 posts) -

That's a hard one, but for me it would most likely be a toss up between 5th and 6th generation.

#19 Posted by Headfcuk (20 posts) -

Gotta be 6th gen for me. Mainly because for me that was a time before responsibilities (mortgage, kids, etc) where I was able to have all 3 consoles (ps2, xbox, GameCube) and had a lot more free time to enjoy as much gaming as I wanted!

#20 Posted by PiscesAnimeGirl (234 posts) -

6th generation without a doubt

#21 Posted by blob357 (24 posts) -

6th, as much as I enjoyed the NES / SNES / Older consoles I loved the PS2 / Gamecube. I don't think it's the same anymore for 6th gen which is weird because I enjoy re-playing old retro games.

#22 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

4th gen, given that it started around the time time I was born. So many good memories there.

#23 Posted by dbtbandit67 (353 posts) -

SNES vs. Genesis

#24 Edited by Glitter (353 posts) -

None, because I made mistakes in ever generation I was in: Generation 5, 6 and 7. I will see how this generation goes and start fresh. I was limited in what I could do in generation 5 & 6 anyways, so I never had much in terms of a library of video games or even good video games.

#25 Posted by Jimmy_Russell (875 posts) -

I don't really understand the question, but if you're wondering what year was the best for gaming, that would be 1999. Counter-Strike was in Beta then.

#26 Posted by Blueresident87 (5340 posts) -

4th for me

#27 Posted by Behardy24 (4753 posts) -

I am going to propose that the 5th generation is the 90s era. If it is, that is probably one I would relive. Mostly because in the 90s there was something for everyone in forms of entertainment and no shortage of it. Video Games of course were great too back than. But gotta give love towards the 6th generation. Countless number of awesome games release then.

The 7th Generation imo, was meh.

#28 Posted by Graphiic1 (17 posts) -

For me, on behalf of me and my brother, I love the 6th Generation. Playstation 2 and the GameCube. Oh man those were the days. When me and my brother would non-stop play Playstation Star Wars: Battlefront 1 and 2, the Sly Cooper Series, and the GameCube. Oh the GameCube. The best family console of those days. My brother and I used to play against my Dad on Mario Kart: Double Dash and we'd always fall off the side of Rainbow Road. Wait...WE STILL DO THAT! The reason for that is because of the feature the Wii has that it's able to play GameCube games. Actually last time we played was last Saturday. Ahh man it's those family times that really bring back memories. Now, I'm a Senior in High School almost in College and won't have time to play anymore.

#29 Posted by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

If we could depend on modern levels of localization in the theoretical reliving of a generation, I would've voted 4th gen. Not taking that for granted, I opted for 5th.

#30 Posted by coasterguy65 (6073 posts) -

16 bit was my favorite generation, so it gets my vote. I still play games on SNES to this day. So many great games.

#31 Posted by Zjun (146 posts) -

6th and 7th.

5th and below can be played on the internet.

#32 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6421 posts) -

Although technically I probably had the most fun with the recent generation (PS3/360), as most of my favourite games of all time are from then, I still have a soft spot for the 6th generation (Xbox, PS2, GC). I was in high school through that gen, so I didn't have a lot of money, so the few games that I did buy on Xbox & GC (the 2 consoles I owned for the most time through that gen), I absolutely fell in love with.

Games like Halo CE, Star Wars KOTOR, Super Mario Sunshine etc, these just have a special place in my heart because of that. I'd love to re-live that gen again (I still play some of the Xbox games occasionally on my 360).

#33 Edited by pupp3t_mast3r (141 posts) -

The greatest classics and the most mechanics that redefined existing genres had to have come from the 6th Gen.