If I hear one more complaint about game graphics...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BCoffeeMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#1 BCoffeeMonkey
Member since 2015 • 68 Posts

I'm going to pull my damn hair out!

I don't know if it's because I am TRULY an old school gamer (I am Literally older then the Internet, hell, ARPAnet launched my birth year), but I am seeing a bunch of "meh, these graphics are ok" or "these look like last gen, amiright?" posts on forums and even in reviews of recent releases.

Some fellow did a nice long gameplay vid of Mad Max and kept on about how one of his SLI cards was only giving a 60% boost and how the draw distance was obviously limited.

You know what else you see zoomed in to the distance? HEAT VAPORS! The wavy lines you see IN THE REAL WORLD when looking though a heat haze!

Wha....?

Is it just me, or do we seem to be spoiled as gamers where we can complain about how the folds of Nathan Drake's shirt don't bunch correctly in the armpit or how the concrete texture on the bridge columns in Mad Max don't look high rez when viewed with your character's nose pressed against them?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

Yeah you definitely have a point... but what's more annoying are things like the endless comparisons between PS4 and XB1 versions of games and the minuscule differences between them. Haven't we got anything better to talk about, seriously.

BCoffeeMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BCoffeeMonkey

Exactly. I did see side by side footage of ... GTAV? on PS and Xbox and both looked just fine to me. Perhaps the smallest differences, but nothing that was compelling.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69490 Posts

The new trend is to bitch and moan about graphics even when the graphics are great. Its the new "in" thing for people who are trying painfully hard to look cool. So, if you want to be part of the cool crowd start the bitching and moaning about graphics and talk about things that doesn't make sense to you or anyone else. :D

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

Where exactly is this cool club you get into for moaning about graphics then?

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

You're on a gaming forum. Graphics have always been a big part of gaming, both now, and in the past. If you don't like people discussing graphics, then maybe don't visit threads about the graphics in games?

BCoffeeMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BCoffeeMonkey

Yeah ... mostly talking about review videos. Like on YouTube.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

graphics are very important. They help immerse you into the game. But so is gameplay which is equally important. Many games have both and thats what you should expect from a quality game.

The exception to this is older games where the technology just wasn't able to provide great graphics. But a game in this day in age should have good graphics and not graphics that look like they could have run on console from the 1980s.

I play old games all the time still and their graphics don't bother me, but a new game i expect to have graphics on par with todays technology. A game i bought in 1990 i expect to look as good as other games from that time. A game i buy from 2015 i expect to look like a game from 2015, not a game from 1990.

getupandboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 getupandboogie
Member since 2013 • 93 Posts

while I agree that graphics can be important, there is not that big of a difference for the amount of arguing going on about it!

Some one posted this in another thread that im sure OP will enjoy

FenrirsPack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FenrirsPack
Member since 2015 • 95 Posts
@getupandboogie said:

while I agree that graphics can be important, there is not that big of a difference for the amount of arguing going on about it!

This is hilarious. ^^

To me it matters only if the game is trying to look realistic. There are plenty of games out there that have different aesthetics and don't require hyper levels of detail. However, if a game is going for a realistic style and isn't keeping up with industry standards, I see no problem in complaining about it. Its just like watching a movie that has sub par CGI. It sticks out like a sore thumb and leaves us wondering, "If you can't make this style look good, why did you try to do it at all?"

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Complaints about graphic is not that bad compared to those that talk about immerse. At lest graphic has way you can prove a point but Immerse ford not have that.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#12 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17810 Posts

Graphics are important, but the framerate and overall performance is even more important. Games with low framerate, stuttering and other technical issues drive me nuts because they ruin the immersion.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10446 Posts

consolites squabbling over minute differences between ps4 and xboxone graphics are laughable.

other than that graphics are subject to scrutiny like any other aspect of gaming

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

I think the graphics in today's games look excellent and I see no point in bickering over minor differences. I just sit back and enjoy all the great games that come out.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

@bcoffeemonkey: That is the problem you are a old school gamer so graphics are not important to you but as a young gamer I grew up playing games with good graphics so for me graphics is a big deal.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#16  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

I like Shovel Knight. That's my words of choice for graphic-extremists.

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

Have to admit I also complain about graphics from time to time. But then look back at games I used to play like the original Wolfenstein, Commander Keen, Q-Bert, Frogger, and realise we really have advanced in the graphics departments.
Graphics have gotten better, but gameplay has gotten worse.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Welcome to what the internet has done, people feel like they should have this constant flux of "here's my opinion, treat it likes it's fact" syndrome. People need to realize opinions are like *** holes, everyone has one, it doesn't mean we want to see it on a constant basis.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wiouds

@Ballroompirate said:

Welcome to what the internet has done, people feel like they should have this constant flux of "here's my opinion, treat it likes it's fact" syndrome. People need to realize opinions are like *** holes, everyone has one, it doesn't mean we want to see it on a constant basis.

What about the people that say other opinion are invalided and pointless? To justify it they use statement like "opinions are like *** holes."

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

@getupandboogie said:

Lmao, sums it up perfectly.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@wiouds said:
@Ballroompirate said:

What about the people that say other opinion are invalided and pointless? To justify it they use statement like "opinions are like *** holes."

Common sense use it

Everyone has an arse, everyone has an opinion, do you always want to see someones opinion on every matter/subject? no. Hence the saying "an opinion is like an *** hole, everyone has one".

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#22 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Games Discussion is not really about that (console comparisons). System Wars is more so, so if you do not want to see more debates about graphics, Games Discussion might be the better choice.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wiouds

@Ballroompirate said:
@wiouds said:
@Ballroompirate said:

Common sense use it

Everyone has an arse, everyone has an opinion, do you always want to see someones opinion on every matter/subject? no. Hence the saying "an opinion is like an *** hole, everyone has one".

It is common sense to go to a discussion board and see people opinions. What has nothing to do with common sense is saying everyone opinion is invalided because they are arse.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#24 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I also am not huge into graphics. Honestly, the most immersive game I've played recently is Lisa, and it looks like SNES game.

DarkGodsLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DarkGodsLair
Member since 2015 • 9 Posts

Well... It is really human like. We get some new stuff to play with and eventually we get used to it. Then we complain about it, because we know it's capabilities and want to have something even better. I personally don't mind the graphics as much, if the gameplay behind it is either supposed to be like that or simply doesn't need top notch graphics. Graphics eat up a lot of time, which you could have spend on more gameplay mechanics (*cough cough* Ryse).

I also agree that these platform wars are utter BS. Choose your preference and be happy with it. No need to call out other people for that :).