Dragons Dogma

Dead Rising

Street Fighter

Mega Man

Phoenix Wright

Breath of Fire

and What IP I did not mention

I am saying this because Capcom's profits are down again

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/04/01/capcom-cuts-its-profits-forecast-by-half-because-of-poor-mobile-sales/

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

They will be sold and bought by someone else,most likely

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

my guess Saga "may" buy them. Saga just bought Atlas a couple months ago

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

i want it to go platinum games.. the developers there were the ones who made capcom what it was.. at the very least give back okami and viewtiful joe to platinum

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

They should just sell the individual IPs off. I'd love to see Platinum games get Viewtiful Joe and Okami, Nintendo get Mega Man, and maybe Sony pick up Resident Evil.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

The only one I have any real affection for anymore is Dead Rising. So if something were to happen, I'm sure Microsoft would step in and offer up the dough to keep their semi-exclusive title from rotting and probably buy Capcom Vancouver outright.

The rest of them, honestly, can burn for all I care. Capcom the business has all but ruined Capcom the developer and Capcom the brand for me.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@downnice95 said:

Resident Evil

Dragons Dogma

Dead Rising

Street Fighter

Mega Man

Phoenix Wright

Breath of Fire

and What IP I did not mention

I am saying this because Capcom's profits are down again

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/04/01/capcom-cuts-its-profits-forecast-by-half-because-of-poor-mobile-sales/

Well, Capcom will never die entirely if they get to a point where they are having a hard time sustaining themself, they will put out a SOS and you can be sure either Nintendo or another big publisher house will swallow them up.

But if that for some bizar reason shouldn't happen, those ip´s will either be sold or depending on their contract revert back to someone.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44265 Posts

Oh god I sure hope Capcom doesn't go anywhere, I love them. If they did though I'd love to see Platinum Games get a few IP's like Resident Evil, Dragon's Dogma, Viewtiful Joe, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Mega Man, etc. I'm not sure about who I'd want to see with their fighting game IP's though I can't really see who'd be a good fit with those although Street Fighter and Darkstalkers with Aksys' like sprite animation would look great.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

All those IPs are huge names with even huger audiences, so I would guess many game companies would get on that sh*t if Capcom were to go away. Though, I admit, I would be surprise to see Capcom not exist anymore. But hey, anything can happen.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I'd say put them all out of their misery.

There's not a single franchise on that list that I couldn't live without.

MWright469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MWright469
Member since 2014 • 168 Posts

Honestly, I don't really care what happens to them. Capcom made some great games during the 90's and early 2000's, but over the last few years, they have honestly been complete trash. Even the normally stellar Resident Evil series has become complete garbage. Mega Man, Street Fighter, all these other franchises have seen dozens and dozens of entries and are just growing stale and don't need to be around anymore. Let Capcom die and the franchises can go with it. Time for some new blood in the industry.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

they should sell back the rights of Progear to CAVE

and someone should buy a few of the arcade IPs and make a compilation port - i.e. The Punisher and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

Doub it would get to that point. With Street Fighter it's like printing money (assuming it's a new title, not a ranodm ultra/arcade/ultimate edition).

DonDeLaGato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DonDeLaGato
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@mwright469 said:

Honestly, I don't really care what happens to them. Capcom made some great games during the 90's and early 2000's, but over the last few years, they have honestly been complete trash. Mega Man, Street Fighter, all these other franchises have seen dozens and dozens of entries and are just growing stale and don't need to be around anymore.

Yes because clearly you have all the knowledge and authority to say such things. /sarcasm

Judging from your comments I'm just going to assume you're not a fan of fighting games in general, 'cause I can assure you there will be a devastating effect on the demographic that Street Fighter caters to, and that's only one franchise of the many that has huge audiences. Your opinion doesn't automatically make everything out of your tastes irrelevant.

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts

I hope it doesn't happen. If it does I'd like for them to end up in good hands.

DonDeLaGato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DonDeLaGato

@mwright469 said:

@dondelagato: So I don't have the authority to have an opinion, but you have the authority to tell me that Capcom going under would have a "Devastating effect" on the fighting game genre? Lol.

Also, I'd like to point out, that even though I didn't even mention fighting games in particular, I happen to be a huge fan of old school street fighter, soul caliber, mortal kombat, darkstalkers, samurai shodown, super smash brothers, and even lesser known titles like Dark Legend on Sega Saturn. So, actually, I'd check your "judgement", it seems to be a bit rusty.

And yet another reason I wouldn't mind if Capcom died.... Fucktarded fanboys. Enjoy your Megaman 29 and your Streetfighter 37. I'll enjoy games that don't recycle the same shit every year.

I never said you have no authority to have an opinion. What you don't have authority over is to deem what is relevant to the industry and what isn't just because you don't care.

And I'm well aware that there was a possibility of misjudgment but I put it out there anyway to see what kind of response I'd get; clearly you're a fan of fighters from a certain generation and I applaud that, there isn't any reason for you to be so discriminate just because we're living in the present and things are progressing.

Also great job your claims there. Totes a Capcom fanboy and not just realizing that the company actually holds a great number of influential titles. /sarcasm

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Some-Mist

It does seem like you're being bit of a fanboy. The end of Capcom would have a devastating effect on the fighting games community? You do know what devastating means.... right? Capcom has some of the worst business practices in the industry and I think the fighting genre would do just fine -undamaged- without 'em. There's still companies like arc system and bandai namco who cater to the hardcore fighting games community...

unless you're talking about a more mainstream fighting game base... but even then, I still think Capcom employees involved with SF would move on to another fighting games company. I could see a lot of them shifting over to Eighting since they already have experience with working on collaborative fighting projects.

in the end, I'm more of a fan of individuals than the developer as a whole... and after losing mikami and kamiya I started caring a bit less and less each year. then they lose inafune after not utilizing him as they should have? yikes.

DonDeLaGato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DonDeLaGato

@Some-Mist said:

It does seem like you're being bit of a fanboy.

People need to stop throwing this term around whenever they please - you're a either a fanboy or you're not, and if simply stating that Capcom holds more weight in gaming than some might think is enough to deem me so, that is absolutely ridiculous.

Though the end of Street Fighter will be more than just the loss of a game in the fighting genre, it'd be sad, sad day indeed. All-round the competitive scene was dwindling until SFIV came out in '08 and brought back some energy, serving as a catalyst for big events like EVO to grow to what it is today - last year had 1.7 million live stream viewers, a record breaker. Undermining that is a crime in my book; even if you aren't a fan of SF in particular you gotta acknowledge what it's done for the genre. Hell, SF is one of the main reasons why the genre even exists. Does it truly make me a fanboy for simply acknowledging this? I think not.

DonDeLaGato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DonDeLaGato

@mwright469 said:

@dondelagato: It makes you a fanboy because your anus is sore

Yet I'm not the one who's overly hostile simply because my opinion was challenged. ;)

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Mega Man should go to Nintendo. That's a no brainer. As for Resident Evil, I can see Sony picking that up. Namco probably picking up Street Fighter and Devil May Cry probably going to Platinum Games. As long as Ninja Theory stays away from DMC, I'll be happy.

Darkmoone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Darkmoone1
Member since 2008 • 2845 Posts

If Level-5 can pick up the Phoenix Wright games that would be nice since they also make the Professor Layton series.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Only one on that list is wesident weevil.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#26 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@mwright469: Can we disregard the level of discomfort on other people's backside and move on with the conversation please? =P

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#28 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@mwright469: I'm being playful but you've actually been reported for posts like that and if you do it too much you might end up having your posts deleted and given a strike, so I was trying to playfully ask you to stop =)

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#30 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

They are going to go the route of THQ

amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31  Edited By amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

Dragon's Dogma would make a ton of sense for Sony to get. It's along the lines of what they've done with Shadow of Colossus, and it sold pretty well in Japan.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Some-Mist

@dondelagato said:

Though the end of Street Fighter will be more than just the loss of a game in the fighting genre, it'd be sad, sad day indeed. All-round the competitive scene was dwindling until SFIV came out in '08 and brought back some energy, serving as a catalyst for big events like EVO to grow to what it is today - last year had 1.7 million live stream viewers, a record breaker. Undermining that is a crime in my book; even if you aren't a fan of SF in particular you gotta acknowledge what it's done for the genre. Hell, SF is one of the main reasons why the genre even exists. Does it truly make me a fanboy for simply acknowledging this? I think not.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be sad....
I don't think acknowledging that the fighting genre exists because of Capcom truly makes you a fanboy either.... but I think how you're exaggerating the effect Capcom currently has on the fighting genre does...or at least it proves you're delusional.

You said it yourself, "there would be a devastating effect on the genre Street Fighter caters to". Do you really believe Capcom currently holds that much weight in the industry?

I'm not saying Capcom didn't influence the fighting genre - they obviously did - but we're not talking about 1990s Capcom right now... we're talking about the current state of Capcom. And other than you.... who says the end of Capcom would be the end of Street Fighter? You seem to be full of assumptions (i.e. devastating effect, end of street fighter, etc..), so I have a question for you: do you think the team behind SF would simply quit the industry once Capcom bit the dust?

the fact that you're so defensive over being called a fanboy (though I do understand it has a negative connotation) only makes you seem even more like one. Tho I did enjoy reading your little "people need to stop throwing this word around) rant.

the shooting genre is just as niche as the fighting genre - maybe even moreso - and the end of Toaplan didn't mean the end of shmups. The end of Raizing's shooter division didn't mean the end of shmups. Those were the two most prolific STG developers who put out some of the best titles of all time. In the end, they formed their own company CAVE and made an even more impressive collection of games. The closure of CAVE's shooter division doesn't even mean the end of STGS, and they're by far the biggest player in the genre.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Some-Mist

I'm also going to break down your assumptions for you to re-read so you can see how ridiculous they sound

'cause I can assure you there will be a devastating effect on the demographic that Street Fighter caters to

how can you assure me? by posting more baseless assumptions? look at the accuracy of one of your previous assumptions:

@dondelagato said:

Judging from your comments I'm just going to assume you're not a fan of fighting games in general,

clearly you're a fan of fighters

People need to stop throwing this term around whenever they please - you're a either a fanboy or you're not, and if simply stating that Capcom holds more weight in gaming than some might think is enough to deem me so, that is absolutely ridiculous.

that's not why people are calling you a fanboy. another great assumption tho.

there isn't any reason for you to be so discriminate just because we're living in the present and things are progressing.

says the guy living in the past.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

still too soon say if a the games are going to be auctioned(or what the chinese company wants to do with capcom), but I say dead rising could go to microsoft since the game is pretty xbox 360 orientated even though the first and second game(along with the expansion pack) was multiplat.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#35 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

Dragon's Dogma and Lost Planet are the IPs that I care about, so if Capcom ever does fail, I hope those IPs are snapped up by other companies who can do them justice.

DuaIFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DuaIFace
Member since 2009 • 581 Posts

I'm tempted to become the majority share-holder in CAPCOM and just disintegrate them. They've had it coming for a long time. None of their IPs will be missed. You people will move on, that I can promise you. ^_^

DonDeLaGato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DonDeLaGato

@Some-Mist said:

You said it yourself, "there would be a devastating effect on the genre Street Fighter caters to".

I said demographic, not the genre as a whole - that's a completely different sentiment.

@Some-Mist said:

but we're not talking about 1990s Capcom right now... we're talking about the current state of Capcom.

Hence why I'm referencing SFIV and not SFII - I mean seriously at what point did I root my argument in events that happened 20+ years ago? My mention of Capcom being one of the main reasons for the genre's existence was only a short reminder of what kind of company we're talking about here - my main point is that Capcom is still producing quality titles that people love with SF being one of my personal favorite franchises, hence why I mentioned it in particular. That isn't even the end of it - look at the list of IPs in the OP; they're all either critically acclaimed or highly regarded in their endeavors, also including DMC, Lost Planet, Marvel vs Capcom, Strider, and I'm sure I'm missing a few others.

@Some-Mist said:

You seem to be full of assumptions (i.e. devastating effect, end of street fighter, etc..), so I have a question for you: do you think the team behind SF would simply quit the industry once Capcom bit the dust?

Lol and you're not? You're basing your assumption of me being fanboy solely on having a contrary opinion towards a rather ludicrous claim - that which being Capcom doesn't need to be around anymore. I'd argue differently given the amount of quality titles they've put out just last generation. (and I repeat: last generation. Not 20 years ago.)

And regarding your question - no, I don't believe that, but my comment is in regards to the consumer base - when you have a market where consumers are so fickle how do you expect everyone to just crossover to a new IP when SF has been around for so long? Brand loyalty is and always has been a killer of businesses and Capcom possibly making a new IP to replace SF is highly unlikely to be successful. It also goes the other way round - what will happen to SF once Capcom is no longer behind it? Who will step forward and even hope to create a new product that will cater to a demographic (again, not the entire genre) that's been avidly supporting Capcom's efforts put into SF?

I'm not even going to bother quoting your last post because you've conveniently ignored the fact that I said I knew the chances of my assumption being wrong, but I wanted to see what kind of reaction I'd get. Because one thing is for certain; the hostility given off is rooted in some issue with Capcom's business practices. That isn't my concern, my concern is their games. Which many, many people still love and think are good. If that isn't enough reason to conclude that Capcom is relevant to the industry then I don't know what is.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Some-Mist

so when you say the demographic Street Fighter caters to you're speaking of the diehard SF fans and not the fighting genre as a whole? okay... well then, I can agree that those SF diehard fans would be devastated - which I also find hilarious (because the people who have created the best SF titles left the company long ago)... but I understand. The rest of the fighting demographic will remain unaffected and the genre will move on easily without Capcom - as I've been stating.

@dondelagato said:

Which many, many people still love and think are good. If that isn't enough reason to conclude that Capcom is relevant to the industry then I don't know what is.

yikes - I'm glad I'm not one of those people lol. There's a reason all the great talent has been leaving Capcom and there's a reason I put more weight on individuals than I do a company as a whole.

also including DMC, Lost Planet, Marvel vs Capcom, Strider, and I'm sure I'm missing a few others.

DMC was created by Hideki Kamiya who went to the subsidiary Clover to create Viewtiful Joe and Okami. Then Capcom made the smart decision to shut down Clover... so Kamiya left Capcom to create Platinum Games with Shinji Mikami (ex-Capcom director) and Inaba (ex-Capcom CEO). Kamiya went on to create Bayonetta (a title I consider much superior to DMC) and The Wonderful 101 which I consider to be a spiritual successor to viewtiful joe (though I honestly prefer viewtiful joe). I also consider PG superior to Capcom

Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, 4 and God Hand were created by Shinji Mikami who went on to "found" Platinum Games to create Vanquish. He left PG and is now at his own company Tango Gameworks to create a new Survival Horror - The Evil Within - since resident evil (his IP) took a massive crap and he no longer has access to it. Mikami also taught Takumi how to direct when Takumi joined Capcom around the time of Resident Evil 2. Takumi went on to create the Phoenix Wright series.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 (the newest installment) was actually a collaborative project between Capcom and Eighting (a prolific arcade company who used to specialize in some of the best shmups ever created - Battle Garegga, Armed Police Batrider, Battle Bakraid, Great Mahou Daisakusen, etc..) but they now focus on fighting games.

Isuke created Strider as well as contributing to bionic commando and ghouls n ghosts. He left Capcom because the sales department didn't properly market his IP - Strider. The new 2014 strider was developed by Double Helix.

Lost Planet is a big Capcom IP?

Megaman was created by Keiji Inafune who left Capcom in 2010 to form his new company

Yasuda and Nin Nin were the reason behind sf2, ssf2, sfa2, sfa3, sf3, sf3: 3rd strike. Neither are with Capcom any longer. Both Yasuda and Nin Nin are responsible for some of the best SF titles went on to create Arika... another company who specializes in arcade software - namely tetris the grand master (TGM, TGM2, TGM3, TGMA) which is arguably one of the best tetris franchises ever created.

Many true fans of the "great Capcom ips" have also followed the people responsible for developing those titles - 99% of which are no longer employed by Capcom. That's why you see so many old-Capcom fans becoming Platinum Games fans. It's where some of the best Capcom talent went.

how do you expect everyone to just crossover to a new IP when SF has been around for so long?

I don't. They will probably stay with SF because it's what they know. Some of those people will get tired of it eventually and they might move on.

what will happen to SF once Capcom is no longer behind it? Who will step forward and even hope to create a new product that will cater to a demographic

I try not too make too many assumptions - but since you asked me who I think would step forward, I already said that I could see Capcom members joining the Eighting arcade division since both teams have collaboratively put out titles like MvsC3. Aksys has arcana heart, guilty gear, and blazblue which caters to the hardcore combo-tech-saavy audience. Namco still has Tekken. Platinum Games was founded by some of the best Capcom employees. Arika has an arcade division with a history in fighting games and founded by the creators of the best SF titles.

You're basing your assumption of me being fanboy solely on having a contrary opinion towards a rather ludicrous claim - that which being Capcom doesn't need to be around anymore. I'd argue differently given the amount of quality titles they've put out just last generation.

so you're not a Capcom fanboy? hell, you just started listing "big Capcom IPs" which were created by people who have since left the company... Also, comments like this:

"with SF being one of my personal favorite franchises".

DonDeLaGato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DonDeLaGato

@Some-Mist said:

I put more weight on individuals than I do a company as a whole.

And if you ask me that's bunk because it's never just one person that accredits to the overall merit of a game (besides a select few indie titles) - there's always one big name but there's also always a number of individuals that contribute to the final product. It's a collective effort, therefore, Capcom is the reason why x game was good, not one particular person.

@Some-Mist said:

Lost Planet is a big Capcom IP?

When did I say that? I mentioned it because it's certainly a cult classic, nothing as gargantuan like Megaman or SF but recognizable nonetheless.

@Some-Mist said:

so you're not a Capcom fanboy?

No, I'm not. You're hung up on few select words; you don't know me or what games I play on a regular basis. The only IPs from Capcom I've ever spent money on are SF and 2 DmC games (so if anything you could call me a Street Fighter fanboy). But of course you wouldn't know that, nor would you ask, instead you'd rather just dismiss someone as a fanboy of x company as opposed to focusing on the actual meat of the argument because, hey, that's always easier right?

@Some-Mist said:

hell, you just started listing "big Capcom IPs" who were created by people who have since left the company

When did say that all the IPs I listed are "big"? Jeez man, you're going on and on about not being so presumptuous yet here you are doing exactly that while also putting words in my mouth. And how is the departing of certain names relevant? They're all games that were made under the name Capcom, thus making them Capcom IPs - there's no getting around that.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Some-Mist

@dondelagato said:
@Some-Mist said:

I put more weight on individuals than I do a company as a whole.

And if you ask me that's bunk because it's never just one person that accredits to the overall merit of a game (besides a select few indie titles) - there's always one big name but there's also always a number of individuals that contribute to the final product. It's a collective effort, therefore, Capcom is the reason why x game was good, not one particular person.

I've actually never gone wrong ever since I started following individuals. I have gone wrong following companies. I noticed after awhile I kept buying IPs from companies I loved...i.e. Resident Evil... but they weren't the same fun experience I was expecting - I later found out because the director was no longer attached with the IP.

hell, the only person I really put any weight on at Capcom any more is Itsuno.

You do realize it's the individuals and their teams that create the games... right? Lets look at the highest rated Resident Evil games for instance. Shinji Mikami left Capcom after working on Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, and Resident Evil 4...

the normal version of RE5 is around the 86% mark. what do you think attributed to the lower score of RE5? those are listed by highest rated to lowest rated. where's the rest of the RE titles that Mikami didn't work on?

I'm surprised you can't see correlation when it's so obvious.... but then again, this is the gamespot forums..

they're all either critically acclaimed or highly regarded in their endeavors, also including DMC, Lost Planet, Marvel vs Capcom, Strider, and I'm sure I'm missing a few others.

What is Lost Planet? critically acclaimed or highly regarded? The highest average rating it received was a 78% and it sold 3 million over 8 versions world wide or on average - 375,000 per.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Some-Mist

here's some fun insight for you from previous Capcom employees who left to find/work at PG:

The Platinum directors also make a slight dig at their previous employer Capcom. The company made great hay of the fact that it had a team of 600 people working on Resident Evil 6 for periods of its development. But Hideki Kamiya is amusingly dismissive of such large projects. “I heard that there were a huge amount of people working on Devil May Cry 4, just an enormous amount of people,” he observes, dryly. “Didn’t help them, did it?”

The team also gives a rather startling insight into its management practices. President and CEO Tatsuya Minami is described by Inaba as, “explosive broad-minded and violent… a violent visionary”.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/inaba-on-platinum-you-run-the-company-like-youre-in-danger-of-starving/

when you no longer have the people responsible for directing the teams who created these amazing IPs, you're left with a team of nobodys led by someone who doesn't have previous experience nor the original vision/scope to work with the IP. Yet you continue to think "Capcom is the reason x-game is good."

really?

DonDeLaGato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DonDeLaGato

@Some-Mist: Did you even read what I wrote? Not only did I say that you can call me a SF fanboy, that aspect isn't even relevant to the argument - you are the one who initiated the pointless labeling and continued to do so throughout the entire discussion we've had in this thread. Yet I'm the one who's still hung up on it? Gimme a fucking break.

@Some-Mist said:

I've actually never gone wrong ever since I started following individuals. I have gone wrong following companies. I noticed after awhile I kept buying IPs from companies I loved...i.e. Resident Evil... but they weren't the same fun experience I was expecting - I later found out because the director was no longer attached with the IP.

That's entirely your fault. How is that relevant to the fact that Capcom still holds a great number of influential IPs with fan bases that eagerly await a sequel? Your personal disappointments don't matter when it comes down to it, myself included.

@Some-Mist said:

You do realize it's the individuals and their teams that create the games... right?

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish here - all you're doing is reinforcing my point that it's a collaborative effort to make a game. Whether it be independent or under a company name - all that are involved contribute to the quality of a title. So my point still stands.

@Some-Mist said:

alright - so you're freaking out over the "words I'm putting into your mouth". What is Lost Planet? critically acclaimed or highly regarded? The highest average rating it received was a 78% and it sold 3 million over 8 versions world wide or on average - 375,000 per.

Highly regarded. Again, did you not read what I wrote? It's a cult classic - that definition in itself means that it may not be considered cream of the crop but is held on a pedestal by a noticeably large group of people.

And, again, your quarrels with Capcom's business practices aren't relevant either. Since you're so keen on using scores (which is a bullshit way to depict a game's quality in the first place), here's some fun insight for you: despite your efforts to show a depreciation in quality because of a change of directors, Dmc 4 and DmC 2013 are rated 84 and 86 respectively on Metacritic.

It's easy to find numbers that support your viewpoint because there's always gonna be a group saying a game's amazing and another group saying it's abysmal - and a using a number takes away the effort of actually articulating an opinion, so what does your precious 86% really mean? Anything and nothing, you don't know the exact reasons why that number is there - it could be anything as fickle from music selection to the casting.

I'm surprised you can't see illogical conventions when it's so obvious...but then again, this is the Gamespot forums...

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@Some-Mist: Enough with the insults and needless hostility, you've already been warned about that. Take a day off and chill out.