Ideas for a new game genre

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for lucianocasanova
lucianocasanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 lucianocasanova
Member since 2014 • 813 Posts

We all know there is lots and lots of genres in the gaming industry, shooters, fighters, racers, sports simulators, puzzles, etc you name it. However I was wondering if there is a genre of games that maybe could be invented that is not in existence maybe. I came with the "eating" genre. Seriously it may sound stupid. But there could be challenges in it(like eat 30 pizzas faster than this other person)

So yeah and maybe auto mechanic simulators(but simulators are a genre itself) so yeah any ideas for another genre?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#2 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

There's probably a limitless number of game genres that could be created. Really, some games are so unique that it's hard to classify them - that's why we usually label them as one of the more common game genres so they're easier to describe.

Game developers probably could make quite a few new game genres just by trying to do it. The easiest way I can think of is it they just look at two existing games, and then try to find a way to combine aspects from both of them. But it's probably true that it's really difficult to 'think up' a new genre since it's really difficult to envision something so new and different unless you have a lot of time to sit and think and plan something like that.

It might be interesting to see a racing game mixed with a fighting game. I can already envision some marathon race where the people are trying to beat each other up in an attempt to eliminate competition to improve their odds of winning the race. That sounds like fun. Wish I could patent that, lol.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I think it would fall under the "minigame" umbrella.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

@Ovirew said:

It might be interesting to see a racing game mixed with a fighting game. I can already envision some marathon race where the people are trying to beat each other up in an attempt to eliminate competition to improve their odds of winning the race. That sounds like fun. Wish I could patent that, lol.

Most of what you said was interesting, unfortunately this specific example just sounds like Road Rash in footrace form to me. Racing/melee fighting is a road already traveled.

lucianocasanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lucianocasanova

@Ovirew: that would just be a mix. Wrestling games and boxing games are an example of two genres combined (Sports/fighting games)

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#6  Edited By so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Games about playing games. That's about all I could come up with..

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I have the perfect genre. It's called full flushed out games worth the money and not chopped into packs and micro transactions.

Avatar image for dreadedghoul575
DreadedGhoul575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 DreadedGhoul575
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

@lucianocasanova: A genre that would be interesting would be like one similar to the moba genre (take control of one character), however, it's rts, and every player is on a team, and you have control over specific units e.g. ground infantry, helicopters, planes, vehicles, navy.

One disadvantage with this however is if one player wanted to use air units, but one was already set and wasn't experienced with air units and the one who wants to use the air units has infantry and dislikes using them.

Just a suggestion anyways. :)

lucianocasanova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lucianocasanova

Wow, I really wasn't expecting another reply on this 1-month old thread, surprised that the mods haven't closed it yet.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#10 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

And so I shall - locking this old thread.