I just scored big time on Craigslist!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

I already had 2 original Xbox consoles, but this deal was just too good to pass up.

For $20 bucks, I got a brand new Xbox console with all hook ups, 1 brand new Dreamcast controller, 2 used Dreamcast controllers, 3 Dreamcast memory cards and a mint condition copy of Code Veronica on Dreamcast.

The people on my local Craigslist are so awesome. Last week, all for free I got a barely used Xbox console, 3 controllers, Halo 2, Dance Dance Revolution, Bad Company, KOTOR, Oddworld Munch's Oddysee, a console carrying case, memory card, HD component cables..... I was like WOAH!!

Jessey-Stone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Jessey-Stone
Member since 2011 • 375 Posts
wow congrats what a great buy all people in my local craigslist want so much money lucky :/
rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
Dang that's awesome! Just check to see if it works, that's all! Nonetheless that is phenomenal! :D
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#4 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

That's pretty awesome. I use CL for music gear but hadn't thought of it for games... Gonna have to check it out.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 arkephonic

Dang that's awesome! Just check to see if it works, that's all! Nonetheless that is phenomenal! :Drwallacefan

Yeah it all works, I tested it all out :D

Haha the Dreamcast VMUs are so awesome. While I play Code Veronica, it displays different things like my health status when I'm playing so I can just look at my controller to see my health rather than press pause.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

Haha the Dreamcast VMUs are so awesome. While I play Code Veronica, it displays different things like my health status when I'm playing so I can just look at my controller to see my health rather than press pause.

arkephonic

how can you tell if your at yellow caution or red caution?

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Not sure what a Xbox is worth anymore but I imagine it's worth it for Dreamcast controllers/memory cards alone. Nice.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#8 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="rwallacefan"]Dang that's awesome! Just check to see if it works, that's all! Nonetheless that is phenomenal! :Darkephonic

the VMU is a gimmick , the problem is that Sega put more thought into the screen as opposed to the memory card itself, so there is hardly any space on it , it has 128KB of memory on it, which is the same as a PS1 memory card. even the N64's cards had 256KB, while the Saturn's memory carts had 512KB.
SpikeyAss777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SpikeyAss777
Member since 2011 • 167 Posts

[QUOTE="arkephonic"]

[QUOTE="rwallacefan"]Dang that's awesome! Just check to see if it works, that's all! Nonetheless that is phenomenal! :DDarkman2007

the VMU is a gimmick , the problem is that Sega put more thought into the screen as opposed to the memory card itself, so there is hardly any space on it , it has 128KB of memory on it, which is the same as a PS1 memory card. even the N64's cards had 256KB, while the Saturn's memory carts had 512KB.

I agree, it is a gimmick. While there are some nice features like the previously mentioned health bar display for Code Veronica, and the VMU mini games are a neat concept - like raising your Sonic Adventure Chao or playing the Pirate's Quest RPG (from Skies of Arcadia) - I'd still much prefer have more data storage space.

Out of the 128kb's only 100kb is actually used for data storage, which leaves for 200 blocks. Even the Playstation 1 uses 120kb's for data storage (8kb going to the memory card file manager it self). And some games take up a lot of space, like for example, Sonic Adventure 2: the actual game takes up 18 blocks and the Chao save data takes up 52 blocks, for a total of 70 blocks just for one game! At least you can use the Dream Explorer tool to add an extra 44 blocks to your VMU's though.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="arkephonic"]

SpikeyAss777

I agree, it is a gimmick. While there are some nice features like the previously mentioned health bar display for Code Veronica, and the VMU mini games are a neat concept - like raising your Sonic Adventure Chao or playing the Pirate's Quest RPG (from Skies of Arcadia) - I'd still much prefer have more data storage space.

Out of the 128kb's only 100kb is actually used for data storage, which leaves for 200 blocks. Even the Playstation 1 uses 120kb's for data storage (8kb going to the memory card file manager it self). And some games take up a lot of space, like for example, Sonic Adventure 2: the actual game takes up 18 blocks and the Chao save data takes up 52 blocks, for a total of 70 blocks just for one game! At least you can use the Dream Explorer tool to add an extra 44 blocks to your VMU's though.

its rather annoying, I have 3 VMUs, and I have 26 or so Dreamcast games. , and frankly Ive still got to micromanage my saves. by comparison , I have about 88 Saturn games, and only 1 Saturn memory card, , with another 2000 blocks to spare..... Sega did release a 4X memory card for the Dreamcast, it lacks a screen , but it has more space, the only issue is that its rare, and wasn't even released in Europe.
SpikeyAss777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SpikeyAss777
Member since 2011 • 167 Posts

[QUOTE="SpikeyAss777"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] the VMU is a gimmick , the problem is that Sega put more thought into the screen as opposed to the memory card itself, so there is hardly any space on it , it has 128KB of memory on it, which is the same as a PS1 memory card. even the N64's cards had 256KB, while the Saturn's memory carts had 512KB.Darkman2007

its rather annoying, I have 3 VMUs, and I have 26 or so Dreamcast games. , and frankly Ive still got to micromanage my saves. by comparison , I have about 88 Saturn games, and only 1 Saturn memory card, , with another 2000 blocks to spare..... Sega did release a 4X memory card for the Dreamcast, it lacks a screen , but it has more space, the only issue is that its rare, and wasn't even released in Europe.

Yeah, same here. I'm often deleting saves just to make space...I could buy more VMU's, but it'd be annoying having to go through them all just to find which one has a save for the game I'm wanting to play. I could put stickers on them with a list of what games they have saves for :P It's just a big pain in the ass overall though. I didn't know about the 4X memory card! I suspected that there'd probably be non-reliable third party VMU's with more space, but I had no idea Sega released one them selves. It's a shame I'll probably never get one due to them being so rare, especially since you mentioned they weren't even released here in Europe, making it even more rare here.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="SpikeyAss777"]

SpikeyAss777

Yeah, same here. I'm often deleting saves just to make space...I could buy more VMU's, but it'd be annoying having to go through them all just to find which one has a save for the game I'm wanting to play. I could put stickers on them with a list of what games they have saves for :P It's just a big pain in the ass overall though. I didn't know about the 4X memory card! I suspected that there'd probably be non-reliable third party VMU's with more space, but I had no idea Sega released one them selves. It's a shame I'll probably never get one due to them being so rare, especially since you mentioned they weren't even released here in Europe, making it even more rare here.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Dreamcast_MemoryCard4X.jpg

there it is, technically its not 1 memory card, but 4 in 1, essentially there is a button on the top of the card to select between which card you want to use.

this should have been the one to be released with the Dreamcast at launch .

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 arkephonic

Yeah, the original VMU's don't hold much data. I just ordered 5 more VMU's off of Amazon, they're only 4 bucks a piece which is pretty cheap. They're the official Sega brand ones as well.

2 of the 3 memory cards the guy included are the mega memory cards with the 4-switch, but I wish they had a screen on them.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Darkman2007

the problem with most 3rd party cards is that they are generally less reliable, so I tend not to use them unless there is no alternative

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 arkephonic

the problem with most 3rd party cards is that they are generally less reliable, so I tend not to use them unless there is no alternative

Darkman2007

Yeah, same here, I've heard some horror stories concerning 3rd party memory cards. I don't plan on buying a ton of games for the Dreamcast, I only plan on gathering like 10-15 games that I used to play back in the day, so 6 of the Sega brand VMU's should be sufficient space for 10-15 games of saves.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

arkephonic

Yeah, same here, I've heard some horror stories concerning 3rd party memory cards. I don't plan on buying a ton of games for the Dreamcast, I only plan on gathering like 10-15 games that I used to play back in the day, so 6 of the Sega brand VMU's should be sufficient space for 10-15 games of saves.

well like I said, I have 26 games, and I use 3 VMUs, I manage with that, though if I wanted to buy more DC games, Id have to get more cards. how Sega went from 80 saves on a memory card to a small fraction of that is beyond me
arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 arkephonic

[QUOTE="arkephonic"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Darkman2007

well like I said, I have 26 games, and I use 3 VMUs, I manage with that, though if I wanted to buy more DC games, Id have to get more cards. how Sega went from 80 saves on a memory card to a small fraction of that is beyond me

When it comes to legacy gaming, that kind of stuff doesn't bug me at all. All companies made mistakes throughout the evolution of gaming, and I think it is cool to experience those flaws. I don't really look for flawless experiences when I play legacy consoles, I just like owning a piece of gaming history and having the luxury of experiencing it all over again.

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

nice snag

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="arkephonic"]

arkephonic

When it comes to legacy gaming, that kind of stuff doesn't bug me at all. All companies made mistakes throughout the evolution of gaming, and I think it is cool to experience those flaws. I don't really look for flawless experiences when I play legacy consoles, I just like owning a piece of gaming history and having the luxury of experiencing it all over again.

of course, but there are faults you can live with and faults that are a plain annoyance. the Dreamcast's overly noisy disc drive I can live with , too many memory cards (more chance of something getting lost) not so much.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
I used a four slot third party memory card for my PS1 after a year of use only one slot worked
xXTalismanXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xXTalismanXx
Member since 2008 • 916 Posts

There;s still love for the Dreamcast8)

justhat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 justhat1
Member since 2009 • 458 Posts

you made the deal of the year so far,congrats

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

[QUOTE="rwallacefan"]Dang that's awesome! Just check to see if it works, that's all! Nonetheless that is phenomenal! :Darkephonic

I love the VMU, it is the best memory card ever made in my opinion regardless of its limited space.

Also, awesome find! It feels so good to get awesome deals like that :)

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 arkephonic

Craigslist strikes again! I love the Craigslist Mobile App! I check it constantly!!

I got all this for $5 bucks from some old man clearing out his garage, said they were all from his son who moved out years ago. All of the games are in their factory sealed shrink wrap and/or have the sealed sticker on the box opening so none of the games have ever been used. I know some of the games aren't that great, but a great deal none the less!!!

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Darkman2007

not bad at all I have to admit.

BONK-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BONK-
Member since 2011 • 58 Posts

Nice, I cant even find the wires to my one.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

That's a very good deal you got.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 arkephonic

I got yet another great deal on Craigslist today.

For $5 dollars total, I got

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Darkman2007

I got yet another great deal on Craigslist today.

For $5 dollars total, I got

arkephonic

how come you find N64s on craigslist, while all I can find are old clothes, farming equipment and the occasional car part :P

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
Does craigs list deliver to Europe?
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Darkman2007
Does craigs list deliver to Europe?ohthemanatee
http://london.craigslist.co.uk/ there is a UK one :P although like I said, I can't find anything useful in my local craigslist :P
kaspar1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kaspar1313
Member since 2009 • 117 Posts

WOW, congrats, I'm JEALOUS!!! :cry: