I am trying to gather games/info about pokemon like games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DragonShine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DragonShine
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hello,

I am trying to grow a community/database for "monster taming games"

So far I got these games down to start off:

Pokemon

Digimon

Monster Rancher

Yu-Gi-Oh

Dragon Quest Monsters

FutureCard Buddyfight

Keitai Denju Telefang

Dokapon Monster Hunter

If I missed any titles please tell me! I am trying to hunt down more and news/art for them to.

For now I plan to grow this using fb page under the name Monster Tamer World

In the future I want to make a website to bring together people who share love for catching/battling/training monsters. I always wanted a community that combines all these types of games into one area.

So yeah what did I miss? And are you a monster lover yourself? Do you think there is a big enough audience for this?

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

You can include that MMO about dragons too, "Dragon's Prophet" if I recall.

DragonShine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DragonShine

I will check it out! Thank you!

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

@dragonshine said:

I will check it out! Thank you!

With a username like yours, I find it amusing that you don't seem to know about Dragon's Prophet. :P

DragonShine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DragonShine

@Gelugon_baat: I've been out of the mmo scene for a while now. But if it's good then I might just get back to mmos :)

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

#6 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Check out the Shin Megami Tensei games. They have the team building of old school RPGs but you collect demons.

This is how Shin Megami tensei IV on the 3DS works: You have four party slots, one for your main character and three for all your demons. You can have several more demons in storage and can swap them out in the middle of battle if you choose to. Demons learn abilities, and, if you choose to fuse two of them, you can bring over several of the abilities the parent monster had. You'll also be able to give abilities to your main character from demons. The customization is awesome. I was surprised at how much I liked it.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#7 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Ni No Kuni. At a certain point early in the game you get the ability to catch enemies to join your party. You can train them, evolve them, equip them with different gear ect. Great game.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 turtlethetaffer

@ristactionjakso: Is it as grind heavy as Dragon Quest Monsters? I tried getting into the DS one and I love dragon Quest and JRPGs but there seemed to be far too much grinding involved for my tastes. Like, I can understand grind heavy post games (some of my favorites have grind heavy post games) but like, just to keep pace you need to grind for hours in Dragon Quest Monsters Joker. I think the point in the game i'm at right now, you're expected to be like level 15 and I have no monsters over 10.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Persona 4 and Ni No Kuni

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@ristactionjakso said:

Ni No Kuni. At a certain point early in the game you get the ability to catch enemies to join your party. You can train them, evolve them, equip them with different gear ect. Great game.

Ni No Kuni really isn't a good suggestion. Unlike the other games there's really nothing you can do to influence whether or not you can capture a creature. The creature just has to decide to give you the option to tame it when you get its HP down all the way. The chances of this happening is ridiculously low and there's absolutely nothing you can do to help. This leads to hours of grinding and hoping the dumbass enemy will just decide to join you.

Plus the battle system is awful.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ristactionjakso

@Pffrbt said:

@ristactionjakso said:

Ni No Kuni really isn't a good suggestion. Unlike the other games there's really nothing you can do to influence whether or not you can capture a creature. The creature just has to decide to give you the option to tame it when you get its HP down all the way. The chances of this happening is ridiculously low and there's absolutely nothing you can do to help. This leads to hours of grinding and hoping the dumbass enemy will just decide to join you.

Disagree.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ristactionjakso

@turtlethetaffer said:

@ristactionjakso: Is it as grind heavy as Dragon Quest Monsters? I tried getting into the DS one and I love dragon Quest and JRPGs but there seemed to be far too much grinding involved for my tastes. Like, I can understand grind heavy post games (some of my favorites have grind heavy post games) but like, just to keep pace you need to grind for hours in Dragon Quest Monsters Joker. I think the point in the game i'm at right now, you're expected to be like level 15 and I have no monsters over 10.

Never played Dragon Quest Monsters, but played DQ 8. There is quite a bit of grinding if you want to level your familiars up and evolve them and what not.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@ristactionjakso: Well I'm not averse to grinding, but I'm averse to the amount of grinding in DQM :P

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pffrbt

@ristactionjakso said:

@Pffrbt said:

@ristactionjakso said:

Disagree.

Why.

Zjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zjun
Member since 2013 • 147 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

@ristactionjakso said:

Agreed, Ni No Kuni has nothing to do with Pokemon, xD. Except perhaps that it's also a JRPG.

Mr. Z~kun

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ristactionjakso

@Pffrbt said:

@ristactionjakso said:

@Pffrbt said:

@ristactionjakso said:

Disagree.

Why.

The battle system is great. And there isn't any incentive to try and "catch em' all" so only catch the ones you want, which doesnt take that long. There is some grinding involved with leveling up newly captured familiars, but thats a given. Same as in any pokemon game when you catch new pokemon.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pffrbt

@ristactionjakso said:

The battle system is great. And there isn't any incentive to try and "catch em' all" so only catch the ones you want, which doesnt take that long. There is some grinding involved with leveling up newly captured familiars, but thats a given. Same as in any pokemon game when you catch new pokemon.

The battle system is a clusterfuck of unintuitive menus that don't remember the last selection made and aren't set up in a way that gives you quick access to every selection, instead forcing you to scroll through them and they all look exactly the same, which completely conflicts with the action oriented nature of the battles where you have to keep moving and watching what's happening. The majority of the time is spent babysitting brain dead party members who are hellbent on wasting as much MP as possible on stupid shit and then standing around getting hit.

The way capturing functions in Ni No Kuni makes it possible that you could never capture the familiar you want/need no matter how many times you fight it, because the set percentage for capturing it is ridiculously low and there's absolutely nothing you can do to increase your chances. There are sidequests asking you to capture certain familiars and you could spend hours upon hours fighting the same enemies over and over again just to get one.

It's the worst god damn system they could've made.

DragonShine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DragonShine

That sucks the percentage is low for Ni No Kuni. In Dragon Quest Monsters the monster decides to join you after battle and you can increase your chances by throwing food at it during battle.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Golden Sun?