How to connect a Dreamcast or PS2 to a new tv?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

aoikirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 aoikirin
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Ok so I have looked online on this topic and I am sure I would have been able to use the info had I been a technically savvy person, but I am not. I don't know about which cables are for what. I have a new Magnavox tv that says things on it like HDMI and LED. The back of the tv has a 3 by two plug arrangement in this order from top to bottom: Orange White Red Green Blue Red So it lacks the traditional red white and yellow plug receptacles I would normally use to hook up my DC or PS2. What should I do? I tried a number of configurations and did not have any of them work. My manual is lack in details in this area. I do apologize for my ignorance in this area.
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mjc  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 12723 Posts

I found this in an online manual for a new Magnavox LED.

NLNksc

NYEH8o

Is this how your's reads?

It looks like you put the yellow (video) plug into the green "Y/VIDEO" input and the two audio plugs into the white "L" and red "R" above. Any luck with that?

aoikirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 aoikirin
The layout is similar. What channel should I set the tv to? I have gone through all of them and the game screen won't show.
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mjc  Moderator

Here's another shot from the manual.

NYNQOq

I'm guessing the channel is "VIDEO" per the picture below.

O22Rmk

Have you tried both the DC and PS2? Perhaps one is faulty.

angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts
My dreamcast doesn't look very good on new TV's with the original lead. I've got a small tube'd tv for my retro consoles. If you're wanting to play dreamcast on it, I'd recommend you look into getting a VGA box for the dreamcast. It gives you a really good picture on dreamcast games!
aoikirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 aoikirin

Here's another shot from the manual.

I'm guessing the channel is "VIDEO" per the picture below.

Have you tried both the DC and PS2? Perhaps one is faulty.

mjc
I do not have a dvd player connection. Do I need one? The DC and PS2 cords go right into the tv directly. Back in the day you just had to worry about the tv being set on channel 3 or 4 lol. Now I have no idea what I am doing.
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mjc  Moderator

I do not have a dvd player connection. Do I need one? The DC and PS2 cords go right into the tv directly. Back in the day you just had to worry about the tv being set on channel 3 or 4 lol. Now I have no idea what I am doing.aoikirin

I can't say I ever had my TV tuned to a station for my Dreamcast or PS2 - it was always "AV" or "VIDEO" as shown above.

To summarise:

1) Using the connection cable that came with the PS2 or Dreamcast, plug the yellow connector into the green "Y/VIDEO" port on your TV and the red and white connectors into the white "L" and red "R" on your TV.

MPDwb7

2) Turn on the TV and console

OHeaAo

3) Hit the source button and scroll through each option giving a few seconds to see if a picture appears ("VIDEO" is the most likely option).

MPDPTo

Make sure you refer to your TV, Dreamcast and PS2 manual for extra assistance and if this doesn't work, I suggest you call your TV retailer or Magnavox for assistance over the phone.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i would use component cables for the ps2 and a PC d-sub adaptor for the dreamcast.

aoikirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 aoikirin

[QUOTE="aoikirin"] I do not have a dvd player connection. Do I need one? The DC and PS2 cords go right into the tv directly. Back in the day you just had to worry about the tv being set on channel 3 or 4 lol. Now I have no idea what I am doing.mjc

I can't say I ever had my TV tuned to a station for my Dreamcast or PS2 - it was always "AV" or "VIDEO" as shown above.

To summarise:

1) Using the connection cable that came with the PS2 or Dreamcast, plug the yellow connector into the green "Y/VIDEO" port on your TV and the red and white connectors into the white "L" and red "R" on your TV.

2) Turn on the TV and console

3) Hit the source button and scroll through each option giving a few seconds to see if a picture appears ("VIDEO" is the most likely option).

Make sure you refer to your TV, Dreamcast and PS2 manual for extra assistance and if this doesn't work, I suggest you call your TV retailer or Magnavox for assistance over the phone.

I am trying this but I keep getting a blank black screen no matter what I go to with source. ****EDIT**** Ok, so I got my PS2 to work but with the same settings and the same three cord placements my DC screen will not come up. :(
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mjc  Moderator

I am trying this but I keep getting a blank black screen no matter what I go to with source. ****EDIT**** Ok, so I got my PS2 to work but with the same settings and the same three cord placements my DC screen will not come up. :(aoikirin
Probably a faulty cable. Check eBay for a replacement. I'd recommend a VGA cable.

OOdR3d

Avatar image for Apathetic_Prick
Apathetic_Prick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Apathetic_Prick
Member since 2003 • 4789 Posts

A PS2 is easy; just use a PS3 component cable if you can't get the one for the PS2. It will work, and your PS2's visuals will actually look good. The connector to the console should be exactly the same as the PS2. For Dreamcast - it looks like you'll need the VGA connector. BUT, you can probably convert VGA to component with no trouble if you need to. You will not be able to convert VGA to HDMI, unfortunately. Thi sis for several reasons; the first is that VGA can't because it's an analog signal. The second is that there's no way in hell that it's compliant with HDMI's trademark encryption. Ditto for component.

If you need to use strictly component on that TV, you;ll want to get a component video selector. Mine cost me around $30 and then another $20 - $30 for cables. I have high cable standards; though - thick and gold-plated or bust for me.

aoikirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 aoikirin
Do you think Amazon would have one? Will any VGA cable work?
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mjc  Moderator
Do you think Amazon would have one? Will any VGA cable work?aoikirin
It'll need to be a VGA cable made specifically for the Dreamcast. I'll leave it to you to search Amazon's store yourself.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

for dreamcast. simply use a vga cable.

aoikirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 aoikirin
[QUOTE="aoikirin"]Do you think Amazon would have one? Will any VGA cable work?mjc
It'll need to be a VGA cable made specifically for the Dreamcast. I'll leave it to you to search Amazon's store yourself.

Does this work : http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Video-Composite-Cable-Sega-Dreamcast/dp/B002GC5YMY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1342932605&sr=8-5&keywords=dreamcast+vga
aoikirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 aoikirin
the one in the link above is identical to the one I have and have tried to use. Do you think my cord is just busted?
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mjc  Moderator
the one in the link above is identical to the one I have and have tried to use. Do you think my cord is just busted?aoikirin
I couldn't be sure. If you can get other devices to work via a similar connection, but not the dreamcast...possibly. However, your console could also be faulty. For a few dollars, it's probably worth trying a new cable.