How the hell did South Park only get a 7?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gajbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gajbutler
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

The game is amazing, I love the combat, personally feel like there is lots of depth there and I'm finding so much to do. The length of the game is great, it isn't too short at all, I'm 4 hours in and I've only just started Day 2. I've played on hardcore all the way and find it a challenge, I've died quite a few times, so I don't get why reviewers say it is too easy, didn't they play it on hardcore?

I think it is the perfect South Park game, I'm glad it doesn't go on for 30+ hours or it would out stay its welcome. If each day is around 4 hours, then 12 hours is perfect, HL2 took me that long and I wasn't disappointed.

I think this is an adventure game first, RPG second, I don't expect a full on RPG.

Just don't get Gamespot's rating at all.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#2 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@gajbutler: They always review it on easy or medium and only playthrough it once. Just be glad someone like Tom McShea or Carolyn Petit review it, because they would have rated it a 4 or a 5. Gamespot likes to be the site that is harsh on their reviews. I personally trust GameInformer, Rev3Games and IGN more than them. Because most of their reviewers or too inconsistent and have a bad organization in how they decide to who reviews what

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

Eh, its just one person's opinion on the game. A site's rating is not an actual indicator of a game's quality, to a degree. 'Sides, what really only matters is how YOU feel about the game, not how some stranger feels about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

I to wonder what is going on in the minds of gamespot reviewers sometimes. They don't really follow the majority opinion do they?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#5 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Because apparently the strongest thing about the game is the license. The gameplay is simplistic and has been done better elsewhere. That's what I got from the review.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#6 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@EnoshimaJunko said:

Eh, its just one person's opinion on the game. A site's rating is not an actual indicator of a game's quality, to a degree. 'Sides, what really only matters is how YOU feel about the game, not how some stranger feels about it.

At the end of the day, that's all that matters

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

The gameplay is simplistic

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/critic-reviews

gajbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gajbutler
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

Yeah but The Walking Dead has no gameplay and yet that still gets amazing reviews, that is just a dumbed down Adventure game that is so over rated, the story isn't even good and the characters are all skitzo.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 turtlethetaffer

@gajbutler said:

Yeah but The Walking Dead has no gameplay and yet that still gets amazing reviews, that is just a dumbed down Adventure game that is so over rated, the story isn't even good and the characters are all skitzo.

Not defending the inconsistencies, just explaining what it seemed like with the review.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@bussinrounds said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

The gameplay is simplistic

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/critic-reviews

What's your point exactly?? I don't care much for Skyrim, myself. I'm just stating what I got from the review. Simplicity isn't inherently bad, but I think the point of the review was that the game was as bare bones as RPGs come in terms of depth. That's what I got from it.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

It's just a opinion. I usually play the game myself and form my own opinion.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i dont like south park

i would have gave it a 5 :P

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#13 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Honestly who the hell knows. IGN gave it a 9 which was pretty generous in my opinion. I love the game but to be fair I would give it 8.Its great, its fun and it makes excellent use of the license, but its far from perfect. Still though, highly recommend!

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#14 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

i dont like south park

i would have gave it a 5 :P

Thats a bit unfair, you've havent played the game, you dont know whether the core game itself is any good, you're just judging the license upon whats its based upon? come on dude

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

Because apparently the strongest thing about the game is the license. The gameplay is simplistic and has been done better elsewhere. That's what I got from the review.

But the strange thing is, the gameplay isn't that much more shallow than most Jrpgs released in the last decade. If you play the game on hardcore, then there's a whole new layer to the combat in my opinion.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

OK, not to bring up old wounds, but this whole reviewing change has to do with the whole Gerstmann incident back in the day. It's really that simple; an honest review brings out the worst in developers and publishers that put in money for these sites and get pissed about it, so Gamespot definitely had taken a hard look in their policy and decided to be pretty harsh and vocal in their reviews, even going as far as to get way too personal in it and lower down a score just because of something that shouldn't have been suggested in the review in the first place, yet was due to personal emotions getting in the way (see GTA V review).

That being said, while I'm glad they are honest about the games, they do need to lighten up a bit and ease up on some of the games they review.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I doubt you know what an "Adventure Game" is.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 turtlethetaffer

@kaealy said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

But the strange thing is, the gameplay isn't that much more shallow than most Jrpgs released in the last decade. If you play the game on hardcore, then there's a whole new layer to the combat in my opinion.

Kevin vanOrd or whoever reviewed it thought differently.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

@gajbutler said:

The game is amazing, I love the combat, personally feel like there is lots of depth there and I'm finding so much to do. The length of the game is great, it isn't too short at all, I'm 4 hours in and I've only just started Day 2. I've played on hardcore all the way and find it a challenge, I've died quite a few times, so I don't get why reviewers say it is too easy, didn't they play it on hardcore?

I think it is the perfect South Park game, I'm glad it doesn't go on for 30+ hours or it would out stay its welcome. If each day is around 4 hours, then 12 hours is perfect, HL2 took me that long and I wasn't disappointed.

I think this is an adventure game first, RPG second, I don't expect a full on RPG.

Just don't get Gamespot's rating at all.

Ok now this might be really hard for you to understand so Ill try and keep it simple for you so I don't hurt your brain too much but here it goes........not everyone shares the same opinion.

WHEW! I know that was a tough one for you but we got through it.

If youre still with me here is just one more so prepare yourself.......not everyones opinion has to be the same as yours.

Take a deep breath and pat yourself on the back because you learned a big life lesson right there in that not everyone has the same opinion, and just because someones is different than yours doesn't make them wrong.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ Gargus

LOL. Abit much, don't ya think ?

Al-Manyouk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Al-Manyouk
Member since 2013 • 99 Posts
@Crossel777 said:

I to wonder what is going on in the minds of gamespot reviewers sometimes. They don't really follow the majority opinion do they?

7/10 is a majority. To get a 10/10 it must be amazing, people like it but few think it's that good.

@Gargus This is the internet, we don't take kindly to these "opinions".

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

@Crossel777 said:

Why should anyone follow the majority opinion....ever? Opinions are just that. Opinions. Everyone should be able to express what they feel whether they fall i majority or minority viewpoint.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Based on pure fun, the game deserves a 9 at least. The story and gameplay is just super enjoyable. It's probably the most fun game I've played in awhile.

With that said, the game does suffer from technical issues (at least on the PS3) and the game is really easy. The battle system, while enjoyable, could be more polished as well. Personally I think it's an 8.5 game, but definitely one of the best games of the year so far.

wolf503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 269

#24  Edited By wolf503
Member since 2008 • 151 Posts

I actually think the score was okay. I find the gameplay to be fairly repetative so far, not in such a bad way that it makes it a bad game but in a way that it would damage the score for me. I also don't overly enjoy having to manually press attack & block buttons at the right time. I hate turn based games but I was under the impression that I could just sit back, relax and enjoy the humour with this 1, it was South Park, turn based or not, I wasn't going to let this 1 go. A friend of mine also doesn't overly like the blocking much. Again doesn't make the game bad but something that would decrease the score for me. The humour is funny as hell, I like the childish imagination that comes into play and how they used that to their advantage to create a make believe world in a supposedly real world which is South Park. The story is a bit meh, but still amusing enough to keep playing. As for being short, I'm not entirely fussed about it, if a game around the $50+ mark can get 10hrs out of me, I've got my monies worth. To me 10hours isn't short, it's just right although this depends on the game. South Park is more about humour above all else, regardless of game or TV show, so it's the right length I think. According to HLTB it should last around 10hrs for a once through, 14hrs for completionists.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

It's an 8 to me. The game is just a bit repetive I have problems playing it out now just cus of that.