How much do YOU think a NES is worth?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FGFordFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FGFordFalcon
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
At the moment these things are pretty much ancient, but i'm more of a retro gamer, and i payed $50 AUD for mine, do you think it's worth it. And if you have it, how much did you pay and do you still play it?
mastodonfatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 mastodonfatguy
Member since 2006 • 165 Posts
i got my nes from my uncle. he got it day 1 and he gave it to me about 13 years ago i was 2. i still have myne and my games are near mint. i think its worth at least 80$ but thats for a true fan. my nes still works and i play it often. keep it for a few years till ur like 40 and then sell it IF U CAN its too hard to let go. :)
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I see them go for about 40 USD all the time. I don't know what the conversion rate to Australian dollars is.
pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts
I'd pay $20? Maybe.
yakk_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 yakk_3
Member since 2005 • 1442 Posts
I had one ages ago. My mom sold it well before the turn of the century for $70 with 2 controllers and about 20 games. Oh how I miss it.
swgrl84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 swgrl84
Member since 2008 • 81 Posts
depends on who you are selling it to - some hard core old school gamers are desperate to find them so that means they would be willing to pay more - otherwise i'd say you could get $30-40 for one
xmitchconnorx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xmitchconnorx
Member since 2007 • 2649 Posts

Local store sells them for $50.

I've had my original NES since i was a kid, it still works a little. But I recently bought a Generation NEX which is a NES remodel, so i don't ever have to worry about freezing or blowing into carts for hours. So i do all my NES playing on that now, it runs for like $60. It also plays Famicom games.

Anyways, an NES is always worth it.

tokay411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 tokay411
Member since 2008 • 56 Posts
Yeah i think mine is worth about 45 USD, and would I play it? Yes. Why? DUCK HUNT!:shock: that dog always laughs at me...
Ninja_T-Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Ninja_T-Rex
Member since 2008 • 296 Posts

Yeah i think mine is worth about 45 USD, and would I play it? Yes. Why? DUCK HUNT!:shock: that dog always laughs at me...tokay411

That damn dog!

I'd pay maybe $50 for one.

Sundodger04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sundodger04

Priceless.

Even though I don't play it anymore, I would never sell my NES or N64.

spazpol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 spazpol
Member since 2003 • 238 Posts
For a traditional front loader I would pay no more then $20 as long as it includes the power adapter and RF swith. A top loader I would be willing to pay more for as that solves a lot of the contacts issue, those I would spend up to $30 for. All in USD
Avatar image for child_of_lileth
child_of_lileth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 child_of_lileth
Member since 2007 • 4066 Posts

lol. i still have the original box mine came in back when my parents got it in the 80's. the price tag says $99.99

i would never sell my NES. and yes, i play it almost every day. every series was better on there. mario, castlevania, megaman, the list just goes on forever. the new releases of most games that started on NES are ok. like mario galaxy and all that, but nothin beats the originals. games were so much more difficult and fun back then

planetvash112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 planetvash112
Member since 2006 • 598 Posts
It depends if it's still unopened in the box or has been played before.
PlanetAnyhow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PlanetAnyhow

Hey everyone! You know, it's funny...Two days after I decide to become an active member of GameSpot, and the very topic I've been looking for answers to for over a week comes up on the forums. Maybe these topics show up a lot, but for someone new to the forums, it was pretty cool. Anyway...

I've been looking into buying an old-school NES from EBay, and I guess I've been a bit out of touch with the game world lately, because I can't BELIEVE someone came out with another design! Top-loader?! Hogwash! In my quest to collect all the old-school systems, I'll never buy anything other than the original design. I mean, I guess it was a smart business move for whoever came up with it since the youngsters who never had the immeasurable pleasure of playing the first one will now get a chance, but for me (as well as, I trust, most of the twenty-somethings and older who read this) it's sacrilegious.

So, my question is this: Clearly, an original NES, still sealed in the box, purchased on launch day, vacuum-sealed in the basement of Nintendo's HQ is the most valuable of all the NES systems, but do you think it would matter much if, say, thirty years from now, I tried to sell my not-yet-acquired system WITH THE NEW 72-PIN CONNECTOR?

How much will it hurt the collection value? If I have to, that's what I'll get because most of the reason why I want one is for the love of the games (plus, I doubt playing classics like Legend of Zelda and Bubble Bobble has quite the same feel if done through the Wii's Virtual Console), but I'm also looking at it as an investment in my (and my children's) future.

Any thoughts?

Avatar image for child_of_lileth
child_of_lileth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 child_of_lileth
Member since 2007 • 4066 Posts
you just saw a top loader? those have been around about as long as the snes. but yeah, the originals are always better. especially the nes. they play the same, but i just like the look better. also just so ya dont get shocked again, they made a revamped snes too
Apsinthion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Apsinthion
Member since 2005 • 502 Posts

So, my question is this: Clearly, an original NES, still sealed in the box, purchased on launch day, vacuum-sealed in the basement of Nintendo's HQ is the most valuable of all the NES systems, but do you think it would matter much if, say, thirty years from now, I tried to sell my not-yet-acquired system WITH THE NEW 72-PIN CONNECTOR?

How much will it hurt the collection value? If I have to, that's what I'll get because most of the reason why I want one is for the love of the games (plus, I doubt playing classics like Legend of Zelda and Bubble Bobble has quite the same feel if done through the Wii's Virtual Console), but I'm also looking at it as an investment in my (and my children's) future.

Any thoughts?

PlanetAnyhow

Well, the original NES isn't exactly rare. It's also fairly easy and inexpensive to repair. So even 30 years from now, and even with a new 72 pin connector, I wouldn't expect a used one to be worth all that much (15$ to 30$ maybe).

Interestingly enough, a NES2 (top loader created by Nintendo, not the clones) might actually be worth more since it's already harder to come by.

PlanetAnyhow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PlanetAnyhow

First of all, thanks to Apsinthion and child_of_lileth for your responses. With all due respect, however, I think (or perhaps hope) that these systems will be worth more than that to SOMEONE if I hold on to it for 30 more years. Consider that the console is already nearing its 23rd birthday, which means it'll be over the half-century mark by the time my theoretical sale takes place. Anyway, I suppose that also means that with its original 72-pin connector, it'll be worth considerably more than if I continually replace the connector over the next three decades. That's what I thought originally anyway.

And child_... Thanks for lacerating my ulcer even more! I guess I truly am behind the times if the top-loader's been around for that long. I think, though, that my perception of gaming has changed since I had the original NES, or SNES for that matter, (especially since I got my NES when I was about six) so now I look at the whole gaming industry rather than just what's sitting on the local Toys R Us (or in my case, Toy Works) shelves. I stand by my previous statement that I will not buy anything other than the original-design version of these systems.

Thanks again for your responses! More are always appreciated!

Alizerothree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#18 Alizerothree
Member since 2008 • 1043 Posts
I would say about 20 - 25 bucks.
JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts
If you want a cheap NES check out like thrift stores like goodwill and salvation army. I got a nes, 2 controllers, zappergun, and ac adapter for $12 US just last week. I could easily make $30 US on ebay for it.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

i wouldn't pay more than $40 for a used NES with a controller, av cable, and power supply. I bought my NES at goodwill for a few dollars, but the power supply cost me $10 at a local game shop. good thing is you can use any RCA cables to hook it up to a tv.

those cheap chinese knockoffs are like $50 for the nes version, or $60 for the nes/snes combo. but those things are pretty junky from what i've heard. plus you cant play duckhunt on those.

SSlater413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 SSlater413
Member since 2008 • 514 Posts
I think mine is worth a good penny. I have two NES's one is new and one is used. I think the new one would fetch a good price.
dissonantblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 dissonantblack
Member since 2005 • 34009 Posts
quite a lot of sure. it's considered vintage.
Da_Banker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Da_Banker
Member since 2006 • 220 Posts
The NES 2 is worth ALOT of money considering it sold poorly
woogity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 woogity
Member since 2007 • 192 Posts

I remember trying to save up $100 to buy one with my $1 allowance back in the late 80s. I wanted one so badly, but my grandparents bought my family a computer for Christmas instead. I had to wait until a couple years later to finally get a game console, when I received a Sega Genesis with Sonic the Hedgehog for Christmas. Man that was the best Christmas ever.

I eventually did pick up a used NES in the late 90s, from the Funcoland Mail Order Catalog (you guys remember them?). They were cheap at the time. I don't think I paid more than $20 or $30. I was even able to find a brand new copy of Star Tropics at my local Toys R Us.

Since mine's a front loader, it's touchy, I'd be willing to pay $50 for a top loader in decent shape.

CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts
I think I paid about 40 bucks for an NES mint with instructions and packaging a few summers ago. I'm a collector who stupidly pays extra for complete packaging lol.
spazpol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 spazpol
Member since 2003 • 238 Posts
The only original sealed NES box worth having in a collection would need to include R.O.B., any of the systems after that and your just aquiring a standard NES system that sold for so many odd years and in all honesty are fairly common. In my personal opinion a NES is to be played rather then saved as a "relic" piece. Granted if you have games like Action 52, Hot Slots, Aladdin Deck Enhancer, or any of the pirate carts, those are harder to come by, those would be worth paying additional for. Then again, this is just one person's opinion. :-)
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
At a local game store here they go for about 40-50 bucks depending on the condition
jondoe314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jondoe314
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I have one that I got it the day it came out. I'm trying to sell it....I hav e 29 games with it
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

If it worked like it was brand-new and it came with the original box, then I'd easily pay $100. But for your average, used, "blinky" NES: $20-$30.

JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

I have one that I got it the day it came out. I'm trying to sell it....I hav e 29 games with itjondoe314

Dont bring back threads from 2008!!!

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I paid $40 for my top loader and 5-games for it. I was happy with my purchase

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#32 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

I don't really want one so it's worth pretty much nothing to me. If I were in the market, I'd pay maybe $20 for the original or $40-50 through the top loader.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

$40.00 is what I paid for my original mattel 1985. From a pawn shop. During the early launch in October 1985 it came with an orignal 5 phillip screwdriver copy of Kung Fu. and even the original yellow and red. with a german copy of SuperMario brothers thrown in.

But rebuilt NES sell for $59.99 since in 2013 it can be chore to find a working NES. without the blue screen of death.

thecrypticodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#34 thecrypticodor
Member since 2012 • 240 Posts

Just because somethings old doesn't necessarily mean it's worth a lot. The Atari 2600 is even older than the NES and you can buy one for around $30-50 depending on the model.

The original NES sold so well that even after all this time they're still not rare even in the slightest, we are figuratively just tripping over them. I would price an original model NES based on condition and what's included ac, controller, rf switch, new 72 pin. If it has all of that and maybe a game thrown in $50.

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts
Millions of these machines where sold ,we will all be long dead before they will reach any serious value .
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#36 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

If it's in good working order, I could reasonably see one going for about $50.