How much do you care about the soundtracks of your games?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

User Lists: 0

#1 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

I've noticed that a lot of people doesn't really care about the music in games. They just want it to be 'epic', which is pretty sad if you ask me. A good soundtrack can totally save an otherwise bad game in my opinion.

Some of my favorite game soundtracks are Lost Odyssey, Deadly Premonition, Megaman X4, Mass Effect (only the first one!), the Hitman games, COD World at War and probably many more I can't remember.

What about you?

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Kind of. I love the Half-Life 2 soundtrack and MGS2 theme, but licensed soundtracks are always fantastic. Games like Fallout 3, GTA IV, Rock Band and Bioshock have great soundtracks that really get me into the music after playing them.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#3 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts
Oh right, I totally forgot about the HL2 soundtrack. And Portal too!
Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

Depends on the soundtrack.

I adore the Okami soundtrack for example.

LapisLazuliOre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 LapisLazuliOre
Member since 2011 • 94 Posts

I don't care about soundtrack. Unless it's a Bungie game. BTW, Mortal Kombat 9 has some overlooked soundtrack.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I care about the soundtrack of games.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

The soundtrack is very important, it sets the mood and is a huge part of the atmosphere of the game.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

for alot of games there are awesome sound tracks

mortal kombat classics

king of fighters

twisted metal.yes they are from bands but they were awesome

deadly preminition

morrowind the game sucked but the music was beautiful

duke nukem

Zach_HD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zach_HD
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I loved the Dead Rising 1 & 2, Marvel Vs Capcom 1 & Resident Evil 2 Soundtracks. Pretty much anything Developed by Capcom Japan tends to have an awesome soundtrack. So to answer your question, Yes, Soundtracks do matter.
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Ofcourse i care!

Games like Yoshi's Island(gets a 10)and TLoZ OoT wouldn't be half good without the music!

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I dont really care much, i just put on my own music.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I care a lot: I was pissed when Deus Ex HR didn't feature the traditional remix of the Deus Ex theme or when the same happened with both Battlefield Bad Company games and the Battlefield 3 beta. And if you think I'm overreacting: imagine a Zelda game without the Zelda theme, or an Elder Scrolls game without the traditional theme. Would they feel alright to you?
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

Oh yeah, I love a great soundtrack. Tales of Legendia is an example of a not very good game that was saved partly because of the soundtrack. It also has a great story and awesome characters though, but these 3 things saved it, since the gameplay is pretty boring imo. Soundtrack is just absolutle beutiful in that game, no game beats it.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#14 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I think good music is important for the storyline and cinematic experience of a game.

leapMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 leapMC
Member since 2011 • 296 Posts

I've noticed that a lot of people doesn't really care about the music in games. They just want it to be 'epic', which is pretty sad if you ask me. A good soundtrack can totally save an otherwise bad game in my opinion.

Some of my favorite game soundtracks are Lost Odyssey, Deadly Premonition, Megaman X4, Mass Effect (only the first one!), the Hitman games, COD World at War and probably many more I can't remember.

What about you?

A soundtrack that conveys emotion and atmosphere (epic) is what I seek in my gaming experience. And how do you remember your username when you log in?

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

What about you?

The reason most people don't care about the music is they're so involved in getting to this location orfending off this attack ordefeating this boss or whateverit might be, that we tune it out. Sure we may hear snippets, but usually we just tune it out. If you take the time and listen as you play, some of that stuff is pretty awesome. But here is my current favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/user/fireflyworlds#p/u/18/63WF8iKjzss

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

If i'm going to give a game a chance I let it hit me with all it's got intended. I don't swich off the music in the options then play Windows media player as when I game I tend to get very focused, I want to be absorbed, be it an epic RPG or a fast paced action game (of course there are casual games I play like Magic the Gathering in which sound is not important to state the obvios).

Anyway, I do care about the soundtrack and ambiance to my games, for all the reasons why they bother to put music in, immersion and what-not (need I list them?)

Fallout New Vegas made a good use of it's music, it doesn't use "Epic" as such, it uses music to suit the mood. I'm not talking about the 1950's Bing Cosby stuff, I mean the actual music that plays if your out there in the middle of nowhere, the wind blowing and that eerie mix of sounds that makes you feel so alone.

Then you got that recent Deus Ex version, with music which sounded like it was ripped right out of Tron, I found it helped set me into the spirit of the game world the instant I was walking around the office, ithelps keep you in the moodeven when your just looking through waste paper bins in the girls toilets for an enegy snack.

Beat um up games! I think one of the reasons I remember Tekken 2 on the good old PS1 compared to all other Tekken or any Mortal Kombat game, is it's use of stage music. This goes for most Street Fighter games also, i mean Street Fighter and Tekken 2 both had catchy, memorable, strong theme songs for it's key characters, which personally gives more depth to the characters then reading the backstory on the manual while your sitting on the toilet or a 20 second cut scene for beating the end boss. The stage music, (that hippy S word again) is the spirit of the character.

I was going to link a few memorable game tracks but the link thing doesn't seem to be working like it used to.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

A soundtrack that conveys emotion and atmosphere (epic) is what I seek in my gaming experience.

leapMC

You couldnt have descrbed it better. Its exactly how i feel. Sountrack is vitally important. The 1st game that comes to mind for me is Oblivion. Without the music there would be no atmosphere/emotion. Its half the game for me. Other games that come to mind are half life 2, mass effect series, assassins creed, fable, zelda & Enslaved

If you look up soundtrack in the dictionary your quote should be used. Lets all remember this quote people

Soundtrack: Music that conveys emotion & atmosphere

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
as longs as when i play a game, the music either adds to the game, or i can just forget about it while im playing im ok with the soundtrack. If the music is annoying it can take away from the expierence. It should be something in the background adding to the gameplay.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

I don't put much emphasis on a soundtrack. If the music is good then great, if not, then I'll live. I care more about the other aspects of a game.

ijumping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ijumping
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
The soundtrack adds atmosphere and that little bit extra to game, for me it can make or break a game , make a mediocre game that much better and make that awesome game that much more better to play
Chogyam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chogyam
Member since 2003 • 1887 Posts

I turn of the music and play my own '70's Pron music to games.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I care about it as much as other aspects of a game. Some soundtracks really connect with you emotionally, and that's probably its high mark.
leapMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 leapMC

[QUOTE="leapMC"]

A soundtrack that conveys emotion and atmosphere (epic) is what I seek in my gaming experience.

brucecambell

You couldnt have descrbed it better. Its exactly how i feel. Sountrack is vitally important. The 1st game that comes to mind for me is Oblivion. Without the music there would be no atmosphere/emotion. Its half the game for me. Other games that come to mind are half life 2, mass effect series, assassins creed, fable, zelda & Enslaved

If you look up soundtrack in the dictionary your quote should be used. Lets all remember this quote people

Soundtrack: Music that conveys emotion & atmosphere

Hehe :D

I love it when people flatter me for making a post.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I like it fine if they have enough variety and don't just license popular music. As long as the soundtrack has more than one or two annoying, looping songs, I am fine with them being mediocre. Obviously though, I like a better soundtrack when possible, preferably with live orchestral recordings.
Suikojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Suikojin
Member since 2005 • 333 Posts

Music is part of the game for me. If it has subpar music, then I won't like the game nearly as much.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#27 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

It's nice to have a good one. But I don't think a game's soundtrack has ever really been a detrement for me... Well, I hated the battle music for Blue Dragon but I didn't really like Blue Dragon to begin with. The rest of it's soundtrack was actually very good though.

ijumping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ijumping

I turn of the music and play my own '70's Pron music to games.

Chogyam
lol what kinda of games do you play hentai ??
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#29 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts

I care since I play fighters and I would like it if it didn't annoy me like Street Fighter 4 opening theme.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#30 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

I care a lot about soundtrack. It definitely adds to the overall experience of gaming.

Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
I care about the soundtrack in a game, if it sucks it can slightly take away from the experience.
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
Most of the time i don't even notice the soundtrack and that's fine to me but, a bad soundtrack can ruin a game for me just throws off the vibe of the game. Every once and awhile though there are those games that have a truely amazing full-hearted soundtrack and it really enhances the experience.
Ziemon84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ziemon84
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I have the Kameo soundtrack right here. Think it's one of the best out there. Xenoblade Chronicles also has a beautiful one. So yeah, I care :-)
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
The soundtrack is very important to me. Definitely elevates the experience to another level when it's got amazing music. One of the reasons why I love the Silent Hill series so much.
digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#35 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

I find that the music in games can be HIGHLY influential. For examples, I know very little traditional lullaby's, so when my daughter was little I'd humm themes from Zelda because they were so iconic and quite frankly highly awesome.

I'm actually working on a new soundtrack project since Sophia left though I'm still working on alot of the details of how its going to happen.

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
Music really adds to the in-game atmosphere. A good soundtrack can make me a lot more intrigued and involved in the game I'm playing.
Beagle050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 Beagle050
Member since 2008 • 737 Posts

A game could be absolutely terrible and have a superb soundtrack, and I would absolutely love it. The reason is because I love music so much.

I even listen to some of the old SNES and playstation tunes sometimes when I'm bored. Haha

Shado0ow7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Shado0ow7
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts
It's quite important especially when the right music comes at the right time Best music for me is in Assassin's creed II when Ezio is on the roof of some building with his brother (in the beginning of the game)
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#39 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
me likey good music. especially in an RPG. It just adds to the atmosphere.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Sound and art design are both very important to me. As far as I'm concerned they make the difference between a good and bad game. That includes the soundtrack itself as well.
Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#41 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

I care VERY much about the soundtracks in video games. It's an essential to ANY video game regardless of genre. As a matter of fact I'm the type of person who will buy the soundtrack to a game if it's really, really good. I'd say every excellentgame I've played has been accompanied by an excellent soundtrack. Here are a few examples and some of my favorites....

• Castlevania 1-3(NES)
  • Mega Man 2-3 (NES)
  • The Legend of Zelda (NES)
  • Metroid (NES)
  • Final Fantasy III (SNES)
  • Chrono Trigger (SNES)
  • Super Metroid (SNES)
  • F-Zero (SNES)
  • OutRun (Arcade)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog series (SG)
  • Streets of Rage 2 (SG)
  • Strider (SG)
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
  • Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
  • Wipeout XL (PS1)

(Okay, that's enough-no more edits!)

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

It's very important. And done right, it can make the game a whole different experience, (MGS3, Braid, Frozen Synapse, Morrowind)

XCNormX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 XCNormX
Member since 2010 • 466 Posts

I love game soundtracks. The soundtrack to Cathrine was great and fit the game perfectly. The Final Fantasy series as well has always had an amazing, and well put together soundtrack.

leapMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 leapMC

It's very important. And done right, it can make the game a whole different experience, (MGS3, Braid, Frozen Synapse, Morrowind)

Am_Confucius

The soundtrack for MGS3 was hideous and mediocre.

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

Music is one of the most vital aspects to gaming (imo) as many others have said also. I love game music as my collection keeps growing. At the moment, I can't stop listening to The 3rd Birthday OST.

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

[QUOTE="Am_Confucius"]

leapMC

Nice try. Better luck next time.
leapMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 leapMC

[QUOTE="leapMC"]

[QUOTE="Am_Confucius"]

Am_Confucius

Yeah, it seems like I'm trolling but I honestly think the soundtrack was terrible. :?

I know the game is meant to be overstylized, but it could of been a lot better. The battle music gave me a headache half of the time.

***edit: Sorry, I should respect your opinion a little more haha.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="leapMC"]

[QUOTE="Am_Confucius"]

Am_Confucius

Seriously, right!? MGS3 is one of the best game soundtracks EVER. I'd also like to mention RAGE. Beautifully implemented, mood enhancing soundtrack.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

SOund and music are in many ways more immersive and important to me than graphics.

Cheddahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Cheddahz

I think JRPG soundtracks always sound wonderful