How did the Gamecube lose to the XBOX? Someone explain to me. How?

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Shockwave-DASH
Member since 2012 • 1093 Posts

Here's what people said about the Xbox brand when it first came out and was mentiond: "What's an Xbox?"

Barely any market recognition, and the PS2 destroying sales prevented that from happening. Now here's my concern, the Gamecube was by nintendo anriding the MASSIVE hype of certain N64 games, so how did the gamecube software third and first, sell LESS than the XBOX's? Nintendo is a much more recognized comapny. What happend to the hype from the N64?

When the Xbox pulled out early to realese the 360 early for the reason above, to gain market recognition BEFORE the other two released their 7th gen consoles, the Gamecube was still selling for a few more years with more games. Did the games even sell during this time? How did the box stil get ahead?

I want someone to tell me what factors caused the Gamecube to lose to the Xbox withhype from the N64, more brand recognition, and more time on the shelf? Please actually explain this to me. Where the Gamecube games that bad? Where the N64 game snot good at all If the Gamecube soald less by over 1 million units at the end after having extra shelf life over the Xbox, tan what the heck was the gamecube selling before that? 100K a year?

This confuses me greatly.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Tons of reasons. Nintendo, at the time, still had very strained relationships with a lot of third party companies. This led to a lack of many notable multiplatform games (Grand Theft Auto being a large one, even though it came to Xbox late) skipping out on Gamecube. That, coupled with Nintendo's general lack of games seeking a photorealistic artstyIe led to a common misconception, especially in the United States, of the system being "kiddie". Many people of that generation will even be surprised to hear you say that Gamecube was more powerful than PS2, for that very reason. Nintendo's failure to embrace online was another big factor. Even Dreamcast had more online games than Gamecube, and that system died very early in the generation. And then, of course, there was the fact that Nintendo was supporting two machines at the time. Nintendo was the only one of the three supporting a handheld at the time, and they supported it well. Their development and advertising revenues had to be split between the platforms. Also consider that Sony was coming off the PS1, at the time the most successful console ever released. Microsoft had the advantage of being the attractive newcomer. Microsoft was a name everyone knew, and they were coming out with their first dedicated gaming machine. And even better, they had the sexy technical specifications and easy portability from PC. In the end it's hard to say that the Xbox really was much more successful. It only beat the Gamecube by 2-3 million in worldwide sales and Microsoft lost billions, while Nintendo posted a profit every year. With respect to your bolded paragraph: Xbox was indeed discontinued long before Gamecube, but Gamecube was forgotten just as quickly. Nintendo was still supporting Game Boy Advance and they launched the DS in 2004. Their first party support from 2005-2007 was Odama, Mario Strikers, Twilight Princess, Mario Party 7, Battalion Wars, Geist, Mario Baseball, Pokemon XD, Chibo Robo, Fire Emblem, and DK Jungle Beat. Nothing wrong with the games, but the only system seller among them was also a Wii launch game. Nintendo was supporting two handhelds, Gamecube, and their next-generation home console.
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#3 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

I want someone to tell me what factors caused the Gamecube to lose to the Xbox with hype from the N64

Shockwave-DASH

I can only speak of my personal reasons.......

but for me the reason WAS the N64. Simply put, the N64 was horrid, and completely soured me on Nintendo.

the N64 had a terrible library for me, with no rpgs, no shmups, and no horror/mature type titles.
when the NGC launched, I honestly expected it to be much the same as the N64, so I didn't buy one (got one after the fact)

Basically, had the N64 not been so rubbish, I would have stayed on board with Nintendo, but by the time the PS2/NGC/Xbox gen came around, the previous gen had converted me away from Ninty

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheKungFool

That, coupled with Nintendo's general lack of games seeking a photorealistic artstyIe led to a common misconception, especially in the United States, of the system being "kiddie".famicommander

thats not a "misconception".

the N64 was definitely marketing to and targeting younger and causual gamers.
thats why it came in like eight different spiffy flourescent colors, and generally lacked the types of mature games that were top sellers on PSone.

and before a bunch of people cry foul and post something like "yeah, but what about Conker's Bad Fur Day, it was mature", please honestly take a long hard look at the two game libraries and get the point. Conker's Bad Fur Day was not Silent Hill. Nor was 007:Goldeneye mature in same ways Metal Gear Solid was. Heck, even when they ported RE2 to the N64, it came with a green blood feature/option to help tone it down.

(not to mention the N64 almost completely ignored several genres typically associated with more hardcore/mature gamers, such as traditional shmups, role playing games, and survival horror)

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
Everyone here has great reasons but one of the biggest had to be Live. I mean playing Halo 2 on live was an amazing thing, never had there been anything to that extend on consoles before(yes I know past consoles had online but not like this). The disappointment of the N64 and the lack of a DVD drive were also big as well.
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheKungFool

this may sound absurd, but do you think the disc type was a factor?

I hoenstly remember some people being negatvie and skeptical of those smaller discs (I'm being serious)

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#8 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

[QUOTE="Shockwave-DASH"]

I want someone to tell me what factors caused the Gamecube to lose to the Xbox with hype from the N64

TheKungFool

but for me the reason WAS the N64. Simply put, the N64 was horrid, and completely soured me on Nintendo.

the N64 had a terrible library for me, with no rpgs, no shmups, and no horror/mature type titles.
when the NGC launched, I honestly expected it to be much the same as the N64, so I didn't buy one (got one after the fact)

Basically, had the N64 not been so rubbish, I would have stayed on board with Nintendo, but by the time the PS2/NGC/Xbox gen came around, the previous gen had converted me away from Ninty

I'd have to agree with you. I really lost interest with Nintendo with the N64. Sony was just rocking the world the last two generations I just really had no reason to get a gamecube.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

I hoenstly remember some people being negatvie and skeptical of those smaller discs (I'm being serious)

TheKungFool

The discs just seemed novelty to me, which turned me off even more to the system. I kept thinking if some PSX RPGs were 4 conventional discs, what would that be on the gamecube, 7, 8 discs? Obviously not knowing much at the time...

Can someone tell me if there was actually a benefit to having the smaller discs, RPMs or something, besides the novelty factor?

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

The reasons were:

• Halo
  • Xbox Live
  • DVD
  • Mostly had superior multiplats
supernes93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 supernes93
Member since 2012 • 76 Posts

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

[QUOTE="Shockwave-DASH"]

Samslayer

I'd have to agree with you. I really lost interest with Nintendo with the N64. Sony was just rocking the world the last two generations I just really had no reason to get a gamecube.

You guys are **** the n64 was so much better than the psone

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

When the Xbox pulled out early to realese the 360 early for the reason above

Shockwave-DASH
For the life of me I cannot find the reason that the Xbox was discontinued ANYWHERE in your post.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

TheKungFool

+1

The N64 severly disappointed me, especially since we had the awesomeness of the Super Nintendo right before it.

Avatar image for LoW-MisterSeven
LoW-MisterSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LoW-MisterSeven
Member since 2012 • 153 Posts
The Halo franchise got the best of the Gamecube...
WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

We can break it down to technological specs, differing libraries of games aimed at different audiences of gamers, prices of hardware and software, ease of online use, a maturing generation of gamers, yadda yadda yadda, but it boils down to one thing...

Halo.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

Samslayer

The discs just seemed novelty to me, which turned me off even more to the system. I kept thinking if some PSX RPGs were 4 conventional discs, what would that be on the gamecube, 7, 8 discs? Obviously not knowing much at the time...

Can someone tell me if there was actually a benefit to having the smaller discs, RPMs or something, besides the novelty factor?

mostly because it was harder to copy (how many people do you know , could copy discs like that, and Nintendo is no stranger to using a storage medium thats different , look at the Wii for another example. in terms of disc space they were lacking (1.5GB , vs 4.7GB on a DVD , 8GB for a dual layer DVD)
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#17 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
I imagine the GameCube's somewhat childish outlook (the frickin' HANDLE :P ) put some people off. Then there was the Xbox which seemed to a PC as a console - FPS games, technologically the best, and SPLINTER CELL. Although apart from Splinter Cell, the Xbox is probably my least favourite of the sixth generation. Nintendo having little third-party support besides Resident Evil and ports of Dreamcast games also played a role in it.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

1. Halo

2. Halo 2

3. Online play

4. Better graphics

5. More multi-plat support (GC missed out on several key 3rd party games such as the GTA series, Max Payne series, Burnout 3, ect.)

6. "Kiddy" image

7. No DVD playback/no modabilty (read: hard piracy on GC)

8. Less games that appeal to teens and younger adults (I may be stereotyping but so it is)

9. Exclusive ports of some big PC shooters and RPGs (see point 8)

10. No Rare

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#20 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

1. Halo

2. Halo 2

nameless12345

Everyone here has great reasons but one of the biggest had to be Live. I mean playing Halo 2 on live was an amazing thing, never had there been anything to that extend on consoles before(yes I know past consoles had online but not like this). The disappointment of the N64 and the lack of a DVD drive were also big as well. TheColbert

Pretty much the first thing that popped in my mind seeing this thread title was Halo.

To be honest, there were a ton of great games on the Cube but I just don't feel like they had a offline multi-player system seller the likes of which they had w/, say, Goldeneye on N64--and the multiplayer is mostly what made the N64 worth having. (I said mostly!)

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

1. Halo

2. Halo 2

logicalfrank

Everyone here has great reasons but one of the biggest had to be Live. I mean playing Halo 2 on live was an amazing thing, never had there been anything to that extend on consoles before(yes I know past consoles had online but not like this). The disappointment of the N64 and the lack of a DVD drive were also big as well. TheColbert

Pretty much the first thing that popped in my mind seeing this thread title was Halo.

To be honest, there were a ton of great games on the Cube but I just don't feel like they had a offline multi-player system seller the likes of which they had w/, say, Goldeneye on N64--and the multiplayer is mostly what made the N64 worth having. (I said mostly!)

As much as some Nintendo fans would like to deny that, Nintendo does need a "heavy-hitter" exclusive FPS.

GC had only Geist and while interesting, it lacked the impact and "ground-breakingness" of GE.

And Wii was even worse with Red Steel, which was also interesting (first-person swordfighting) but failed to deliver.

Zombi U for Wii U looks decent but I doubt it'll move units or shock the gaming world.

They would need to give one of their exclusive devs (read: Retro) the chance to make a big new FPS IP imo.

Perhaps something that would combine the best aspects of shooting, fighting, platforming and exploration in first-person perspective.

FPSDad1161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FPSDad1161
Member since 2011 • 814 Posts

[QUOTE="Samslayer"]

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

supernes93

Yup, and so was the Saturn. I hated the PSOne, and the PS2, and the PSP, and the PS3. Vastly overrated games and systems.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#23 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

It shouldn't confuse you. Halo is the biggest reason, it took over the world when it came out

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Mostly because the team behind the Xbox, at the time, did everything right. Personally I think the top GameCube titles hold up the best, but the Xbox was THE console that gen. It is the reason the Ps3 lagged behind the 360, this gen.
benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#25 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

Reasons why people liked Xbox-

• Halo 1 and 2
  • Xbox Live
  • DVD
  • Art and Graphics used for various games
  • Built-in memory unit
supernes93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 supernes93

halo one was better on the pc cause it had online multiplayer, and once you had halo one online you dont need halo two, unless you like the battle rifle that much lol. and who watches dvds anyway, they are just mind control. And what other reason is there to own an xbox unless your playing halo or forza.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#27 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

[QUOTE="Samslayer"]

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

supernes93

This isn't Previously on System Wars. I'd be vaguely interested to hear your reasons, though.
Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shockwave-DASH

halo one was better on the pc cause it had online multiplayer, and once you had halo one online you dont need halo two, unless you like the battle rifle that much lol. and who watches dvds anyway, they are just mind control. And what other reason is there to own an xbox unless your playing halo or forza.

supernes93
Yes because Forza was a hih selling franchise on the XBOX. Wait no it wasn't/ Looks like someone is angry. Did the Gamecube only have Melee? I feel your pain. Who watches DVD's? DVD's hld more space for games, lol oops, the pain, I hear your tears in the water.
Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shockwave-DASH
Also people actually believe HALO was the only reason? Halo didn't even account for half the XBOX sales, and that's assuming people brought Halo with an XBOX every unit, which is probably not true, and even then, same point as above, it did not even sell have the Xbox units, so what sold the rest? Also those saying the XBOX was the reason the 360 got ahead of the PS3? No. There's a reason why MS released first. They had barely any recognition.
Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shockwave-DASH
[QUOTE="Shockwave-DASH"]

dotWithShoes
For the life of me I cannot find the reason that the Xbox was discontinued ANYWHERE in your post.

Wow, it cleary says that's why MS released early, because they were getting destroyed by the PS2 and adding they were loosing millions of money on failed or average projects.

1. Halo

2. Halo 2

3. Online play

4. Better graphics

5. More multi-plat support (GC missed out on several key 3rd party games such as the GTA series, Max Payne series, Burnout 3, ect.)

6. "Kiddy" image

8. Less games that appeal to teens and younger adults (I may be stereotyping but so it is)

10. No Rare

nameless12345
The Gamecube had Rare.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nameless12345

[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="Shockwave-DASH"] For the life of me I cannot find the reason that the Xbox was discontinued ANYWHERE in your post. Shockwave-DASH
Wow, it cleary says that's why MS released early, because they were getting destroyed by the PS2 and adding they were loosing millions of money on failed or average projects.

1. Halo

2. Halo 2

3. Online play

4. Better graphics

6. "Kiddy" image

10. No Rare

nameless12345

The Gamecube had Rare.

Yea, for 1 game only. Donkey Kong Racing, Kameo, PDZ, Banjo-Threeie, ect. were all canned or emerged much later and didn't impress (such as Kameo and PDZ which eventually saw a 360 release).

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="Shockwave-DASH"]

Shockwave-DASH

And that, if you have even the smallest amount of knowledge about the original Xbox you would know, is completely inaccurate. Microsoft ceased production on the Xbox because of a hardware dispute with it's manufacturer and not because of some urge to get their console out before Sony.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
It didn't really lose to Xbox. Nintendo profited from GC whereas MS lost 4-5 billion on the Xbox. As for userbase they were just 3-4 million apart which is hardly losing. Of course they lost major marketshare to the PlayStation and I think that had most to do with the fact that Nintendo turned their back on 3rd party with N64 and than 3rd party returned the favour by putting all their support on PS2.
Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="TheColbert"]Everyone here has great reasons but one of the biggest had to be Live. I mean playing Halo 2 on live was an amazing thing, never had there been anything to that extend on consoles before(yes I know past consoles had online but not like this). The disappointment of the N64 and the lack of a DVD drive were also big as well. nameless12345

As much as some Nintendo fans would like to deny that, Nintendo does need a "heavy-hitter" exclusive FPS.

GC had only Geist and while interesting, it lacked the impact and "ground-breakingness" of GE.

And Wii was even worse with Red Steel, which was also interesting (first-person swordfighting) but failed to deliver.

Zombi U for Wii U looks decent but I doubt it'll move units or shock the gaming world.

They would need to give one of their exclusive devs (read: Retro) the chance to make a big new FPS IP imo.

Perhaps something that would combine the best aspects of shooting, fighting, platforming and exploration in first-person perspective.

Metroid Prime?
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

I wouldn't really say there was a clear loss in the first place. It was 24 vs 22 million. If you want to call that a loss, then it was caused by Microsoft's marketing.

supernes93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 supernes93
[QUOTE="supernes93"]

Shockwave-DASH
Yes because Forza was a hih selling franchise on the XBOX. Wait no it wasn't/ Looks like someone is angry. Did the Gamecube only have Melee? I feel your pain. Who watches DVD's? DVD's hld more space for games, lol oops, the pain, I hear your tears in the water.

shock wave you're a f@got. the xbox was just another version of the pc except not as good and unless you play sports games but wait you can do that on a ps2 which had most xbox games and more. what did the xbox have for exclusives that would warrant buying it over any other console? halo, halo 2 and forza and a couple others. so anyone that would buy an xbox had to be a fan of halo. and looking at the case for halo right now it says best of platinum hits and best selling xbox game, and a platinum hit is a term used for best selling xbox games during the first nine months of the xbox's life. And im proud to have a gamecube over an xbox cause we have about 23 exclusive franchises you cant get anywhere else. So i feel your pain that the system your defending has less to offer than a mere nintendo gamecube.
supernes93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 supernes93

Also people actually believe HALO was the only reason? Halo didn't even account for half the XBOX sales, and that's assuming people brought Halo with an XBOX every unit, which is probably not true, and even then, same point as above, it did not even sell have the Xbox units, so what sold the rest? Also those saying the XBOX was the reason the 360 got ahead of the PS3? No. There's a reason why MS released first. They had barely any recognition.Shockwave-DASH
we shouldnt assume anything but use actual facts and seeing as you think halo was not bought with every xbox is "probably" not true, you obviously dont know $hit or back your arguments with facts.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheKungFool

And what other reason is there to own an xbox unless your playing halo or forza?

supernes93

um.....the countless other great games on the system perhaps?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

maybe the minidvd thing turned a lot of people off too... made many games 2 discs instead of 1.

supernes93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 supernes93

[QUOTE="supernes93"]

And what other reason is there to own an xbox unless your playing halo or forza?

TheKungFool

That you could play on a pc. why don't you name some exclusive titles you cant get on the pc or another platform.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

Kaszilla

Metroid Prime?

Metroid Prime, despite it's qualities, failed to repeat the success of GoldenEye and was more of a first-person adventure shooter than a traditional FPS.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheKungFool

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

[QUOTE="supernes93"]

supernes93

That you could play on a pc. why don't you name some exclusive titles you cant get on the pc or another platform.

its irrelevant that some games are also on PC, and in fact, to many people like myself who don't game on PC, having such titles available on a console was actually a significant reason to own the xbox.

whats wrong with someone buying an xbox because they want to play games on a console instead of a PC?

Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shockwave-DASH
[QUOTE="Shockwave-DASH"][QUOTE="supernes93"]

supernes93

shock wave you're a f@got. the xbox was just another version of the pc except not as good and unless you play sports games but wait you can do that on a ps2 which had most xbox games and more. what did the xbox have for exclusives that would warrant buying it over any other console? halo, halo 2 and forza and a couple others. so anyone that would buy an xbox had to be a fan of halo. and looking at the case for halo right now it says best of platinum hits and best selling xbox game, and a platinum hit is a term used for best selling xbox games during the first nine months of the xbox's life. And im proud to have a gamecube over an xbox cause we have about 23 exclusive franchises you cant get anywhere else. So i feel your pain that the system your defending has less to offer than a mere nintendo gamecube.

If the Xbox had no exclusive it would not have won. Also you have no clue about the Xbox library. HAlo did not even sell half the number of Xboxes, and that's assuming people BRRUGHT and Xbox for each halo game which is not true. So that other 17 millionXbox sales? Forza was barely passable and was pretty much a sales flop. Maybe it was because of Xbox exclusives that people actually borught like: Blinx Blinx2 The higly acclaimed Amped snowboarding series: Amped 1 and 2. Americans Army The only console were you could have your pick from Flight Simulators. Galleon. The Highly acclaimed best selling Party game Fuzion Frenzy High selling Night Caster series: Nightcaster 1 and 2. The best selling exclusive NINJA GAIDEN and NINJA GAIDEN Black. Toe Jam and Earl 3 form the popular TOe Jam series. Rainbow Six Black Arrow and Rainbow Six Critical hour, exclusive games in the popular Tom Clancy franchise. MUsic making software for casuals. Exclusive WWE Raw 2, and Wrestle Mania 21. Steel Battalion and Steel Batallion line of contact, a series very good on XBox, and they just made a 3rd game for Kinect recently for 360. Although that might not sell as well. But on Xbox these were top sellers. Railsport challenge 2. But let me stop there since I have already posted more games than you could name on the Gamecube side. Not only that, the Xbox has more exclusives THAN the Gamecube. Using your logic, why would I buy the Gamecube if it has no games? :P:P
Shockwave-DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shockwave-DASH

[QUOTE="supernes93"][QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

TheKungFool

its irrelevant that some games are also on PC, and in fact, to many people like myself who don't game on PC, having such titles available on a console was actually a significant reason to own the xbox.

whats wrong with someone buying an xbox because they want to play games on a console instead of a PC?

Next time if you want to stop a troll actually name games so he can shut up. I also like how he calls me names making ridiculous claims, if he thinke there are 23 gamecube exclusives and the Xbox has none but PC ports, hate to tell him but the Xbox has more exclusive than the gamecube ONLY on Xbox. Oops? Hurt yourself there Supersnes?
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

GC > Xbox.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheKungFool

Next time if you want to stop a troll actually name games so he can shut up.Shockwave-DASH

thanks for the advice big brother, but I'm not really worried about "stopping him" or whatever, nor was I about to post a list of games like the guy a few posts above did that doesn't actually make the point (because its a pretty weak list)

its actually fairly true that the Xbox's best titles were often ports, multiplats, or also on PC.
but that doesn't make it not worth owning.

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: KotOR II: Sith Lords
Deus Ex Invisible War
Thief III Deadly Shadows
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Sudeki
Halo Combat Evolved
Half Life 2
Chronicles of Riddick

those were the games I owned on Xbox, and I really don't care which of them are/aren't on PC or another platform.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Shockwave-DASH"] Next time if you want to stop a troll actually name games so he can shut up.TheKungFool

thanks for the advice big brother, but I'm not really worried about "stopping him" or whatever, nor was I about to post a list of games like the guy a few posts above did that doesn't actually make the point (because its a pretty weak list)

its actually fairly true that the Xbox's best titles were often ports, multiplats, or also on PC.

Deus Ex Invisible War
Thief III Deadly Shadows
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Sudeki
Halo Combat Evolved
Half Life 2
Chronicles of Riddick

those were the games I owned on Xbox, and I really don't care which of them are/aren't on PC or another platform.

I agree with this. And to add to this: I'd rather play console versions of many of the games because it's just less of a hassle. I have Windows 7 and Windows 7 does not want to be compatible with a lot of games. And I don't want to have some games work while other don't, and have to use DOS Box for other games even. Plus I have to have updated RAM and video card for the latest games. Or for older games I might have to hunt down some random file online to make it work. Too frustrating for all of that when I could just pop a disc into my XBox instead.

And that is a fantastic list of XBox games, I'd add some more great XBox games to the list that aren't on Gamecube:

• Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
  • Fable
  • Jade Empire
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance
  • MechAssault 1 & 2
  • Star Wars: Battlefront 1 & 2
  • Tecmo Arcade Classics
  • WWF Raw 1 & 2
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

[QUOTE="Shockwave-DASH"] Next time if you want to stop a troll actually name games so he can shut up.Emerald_Warrior

Deus Ex Invisible War
Thief III Deadly Shadows
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Sudeki
Halo Combat Evolved
Half Life 2
Chronicles of Riddick

I agree with this. And to add to this: I'd rather play console versions of many of the games because it's just less of a hassle. I have Windows 7 and Windows 7 does not want to be compatible with a lot of games. And I don't want to have some games work while other don't, and have to use DOS Box for other games even. Plus I have to have updated RAM and video card for the latest games. Or for older games I might have to hunt down some random file online to make it work. Too frustrating for all of that when I could just pop a disc into my XBox instead.

And that is a fantastic list of XBox games, I'd add some more great XBox games to the list that aren't on Gamecube:

• Fable
  • Jade Empire
  • MechAssault 1 & 2
  • Tecmo Arcade Classics
  • WWF Raw 1 & 2

for most games, simply using the compatibility option works fine.

its not exactly a hard thing to do, and for alot of games (RTS being particular), I would rather spend 5 minutes looking for a fan made patch online, rather than play the console versions.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

Deus Ex Invisible War
Thief III Deadly Shadows
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Sudeki
Halo Combat Evolved
Half Life 2
Chronicles of Riddick

Darkman2007

• Fable
  • Jade Empire
  • MechAssault 1 & 2
  • Tecmo Arcade Classics
  • WWF Raw 1 & 2

for most games, simply using the compatibility option works fine.

Not even close to "most games". To name a few examples from my PC collection that Windows 7 has issues with: Diablo will install and play but looks like a rainbow puked all over it, Hexen won't install but at least I can play it off of disc. Star Trek Voyager Elite Force will start to play, then just shut down. Neverwinter Nights will install, but won't make it past the load screen. Duke Nukem 1 is just glitchy constantly as it plays. Jazz Jackrabbit won't do a thing but give me an error message. It's at the point where I've just said the hell with it.