Horizon Zero Dawn looks like GOTY material.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Drizzle
Member since 2002 • 2429 Posts

I am getting a strong vibe that Guerilla are very serious about making Horizon Zero Dawn a classic IP. Now considering the game has been in development since 2011, you would think rightly that it should be fantastic. As the day of release gets closer the excitement is growing. It's good to see them trying something different and ambitious. A game possibly as big as Skyrim or the Witcher 3. If that is the case then hell yeah, I am in!

Horizon Zero Dawn is important for Sony and for gamers in general. If it fails to deliver I don't know what is next for Guerilla. It really is a huge gamble for them and Sony. I hope it does well. I can't wait to play it.

#HorizonZeroDawn

JohnSantina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 JohnSantina
Member since 2014 • 34 Posts

I'm a PC gamer, but I can't stop researching about this game. It looks like a screenshotters dream.

I've written a few articles about it, and I'm really resisting the urge not to put a PS4 on a credit card just so I can play this.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I'm cautiously optimistic.

I LOVE the visuals and setting. I love the concept. But I do worry about the quality of the quests (this is just a general open world game concern I've learned to have), as well as the mechanics... there's a lot of flashy jazzy stuff going on to not involve lock-on aim "abilities" and QTEs and such. We'll see. I want it to rock

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56143 Posts

I already pre-order the digital version Horizon: Zero Dawn cause I been following this next big thing PS4 exclusive and this game shares some of the combat and gameplay from Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and I'm confident it'll be worth the purchase. As far as GOTY goes, I doubt it but hey, you'll never know, it could be if everything goes well at launch.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44224 Posts

It certainly looks like an excellent game and it's definitely one that I'd like to get when I get a PS4.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

A Monster Hunter with robot dinosaurs seems really fun but Guerilla have a habbit of making games look way better than they are.

It looks gorgeous, but considering what game they're looking at for inspiration? They'll be hard pressed to make the combat that refined. And considering they're known for making C- Halo clones previously; it's tough to cheer Guerilla on_

Ryan78134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Ryan78134
Member since 2014 • 218 Posts

Horizon Zero Dawn has been my most desired upcoming release for two years or so now. I personally think it will be fantastic; as for GOTY material it is in with a shout, but there are plenty of strong releases in 2017.

But robot dinosaurs, bows, a gorgeous world.. it is an IP that has all the right ingredients to become a classic series.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19574 Posts

I haven't seen much of this one, but isn't it just a Monster Hunter clone with pretty graphics?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58345 Posts

This and maybe two other games have me considering getting a PS4.

With that said, I wouldn't call the game "important". Also, does anyone talk about Killzone still? Ever? No, didn't think so...so while this game might "wow" us initially I don't know if it will be GOTY material as Guerrilla has a track record of making forgettable games.

I just hope it doesn't pull a "Mafia 3" and give us this awesome world to play in, but nothing but repetitive tasks to do in it. That's not fun, that is work.

Cautiously optimistic, though!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56143 Posts

@Planeforger said:

I haven't seen much of this one, but isn't it just a Monster Hunter clone with pretty graphics?

I would say it's mix with Witcher 3: Wild Hunt combat gameplay and Monster Hunter gameplay combine if you'd ask me. It is a new IP from Guerrilla Games after all and when it comes to new IP's, I like to keep an open mind. I have seen lots of vids and I was really impress what I saw and I'm totally on board with Horizon day one buy.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#11  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

@Planeforger said:

It'll undoubtedly lack a lot of the customisation and options of Capcoms Monster Hunter franchise. Due to it being a new IP.

Yet as long as they get the feel of you being the hunter and these beasts being prey? I'll bite, well. . Guerilla 'has' to pull off tight controls, hitbox detection, and map layout for it to be worth the buy.

However these are three things Guerilla has never shown talent for, let's hope they're serious with this one.

This studio has a lot to prove and I'm surprised more ain't being cautious_

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Hey remember when No Man Sky was being called game of the year before its release? I even heard someone call Aliens Colonial Marines as game of the year before it was released.

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BboyStatix
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

I'm going to get the game even if it gets a 7 lol. I'm sold on the graphics haha. I know graphics are not the most important thing but I love beautiful games. It makes me want to spend time in its world and explore. It's funny that this is coming from a console gamer.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

Way too early to state this kind of impression...

Avatar image for deactivated-587acdd100f19
deactivated-587acdd100f19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-587acdd100f19
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts

It's gonna be a showcase game for PS4 Pro. A must have if you own that system, but there are so many great games scheduled to come out in 2017, so GOTY is a hefty task.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

The concept is really intriguing and the story/setting seems genuinely unique. However, the game play looks like what most open world games boil down to these days: go here, take something from a person/beat a certain creature, repeat. The only way this formula works is if it is wrapped up in a great story and fun game play (GTA V or TW3 or Skyrim).

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

i cant wait for horizon zero dawn for my ps4 pro

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

I don't know if I can be bothered playing another AAA, open world game. Haven't finished the expansions for The Witcher 3.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

This game looks very good. I need to buy a PS4 soon.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69566 Posts

Guerilla games has always disappointed me outside of graphics. I am hoping this time the disappointment would be the game being actually great.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

Graphics look great, combat seems good but there's one thing I dislike is the enemies are all machines. Ii would makes the combat more exciting if Guerrila add human enemies, and I think that would make the story more interesting as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

@Zensword said:

Graphics look great, combat seems good but there's one thing I dislike is the enemies are all machines. Ii would makes the combat more exciting if Guerrila add human enemies, and I think that would make the story more interesting as well.

Agreed 100%. Like different colonies of people and they fight the robots as well.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I haven't seen anything that's convince me it's going to be anything beyond what they as a developer have achieved in the past. Lots of flash but very little substance.

But hey, this is exactly what they want, you to get hyped about the game, buy it on the launch day, and then make all your complaints after giving them their money.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#24 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Not even close to enough information is available on this game (like for example, reviews) to get excited about it.

Marketing has made the game "look" good? Congratz. That's what it's for.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

I think it looks very forgettable.

Of course it looks pretty but it hasn't shown me anything i haven't seen before from other games.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1854 Posts

Not really. Their last 2 games (RIGS and KZ: SF) were rated 79% and 73% respectively at metacritic. KZ2 was okay as far as console shooters go, but still a bit overrated. As a dev, Guerrilla is pretty average.

My best comparison for the hype surrounding this game is BvS. When everyone got excited for BvS, it's like they all forgot Zach Snyder was directing.