High rated games you just couldn't get into?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17669 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

@MirkoS77: "Reviews should always hold some degree of objective merit."

Why if the enjoyment of games is a completely subjective experience. Giving a game a score is subjective in itself. Being technically proficient may or may not even benefit a game.

"I despise MGS 4, but I recognize its technical proficiency."

What good is that technical proficiency if you despise the game.

Because it still exists and made what gameplay there was enjoyable? Just because I don't like other aspects of the game does not make the ones I do like irrelevant even though it got to the point that I couldn't stand to play anymore. I actually enjoyed MGS 4 when I was able to play (mostly the first stage). Have you ever played games where you really liked some elements but others just ruined it for you? Do you believe those fun parts should then be ignored or their benefit lessened because of the non-fun ones? Shouldn't those fun components be part of your review?

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@MirkoS77:

If the aspects of the game that I hate are so bad that they make me say that I despise the game then the good parts no longer matter, and probably serve to only make the experience more frustrating and miserable by being a constant reminder of wasted potential. A game that I despise certainly doesn't deserve a 7/10.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17669 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

@MirkoS77:

If the aspects of the game that I hate are so bad that they make me say that I despise the game then the good parts no longer matter, and probably serve to only make the experience more frustrating and miserable by being a constant reminder of wasted potential. A game that I despise certainly doesn't deserve a 7/10.

So basically, a game is binary to you. It's either a 1/10 or a 10/10 right? That's basically what you're saying. And it's perfectly possible to be able to acknowledge quality while not liking something.

msulcs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 msulcs
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

Assasins Creed games. The missions are boring and tedious. (I haven't played Black Flag yet)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#55 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

From the top of my head:

Souls series

Witcher series

Bioshock Infinite

Dishonored

Hitman series

CoD series

Actually most of the games that came out in the last 3 or 4 years; I've been finding less and less enjoyable games lately and I used to have a really bad impression about indie games and ironically it's now the category I've been finding most of my enjoyable games recently.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

MGS4 for me. I own it and have tried to get through it 3-4 times but every time I just get around 4 hours in and I'm just bored out of my mind. I'm guessing it's a game that you have to either be "in to" or not. I never really enjoyed any previous MGS games other than the first and just cannot see the pull of this one. The graphics aren't great, voice acting is hammy and game play just isn't fun (all IMHO). Truth be told there's not many games out there that I just dismiss as easily but this one just doesn't do it for me at all.

david61983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 david61983
Member since 2013 • 288 Posts

@withe1982 said:

MGS4 for me. I own it and have tried to get through it 3-4 times but every time I just get around 4 hours in and I'm just bored out of my mind. I'm guessing it's a game that you have to either be "in to" or not. I never really enjoyed any previous MGS games other than the first and just cannot see the pull of this one. The graphics aren't great, voice acting is hammy and game play just isn't fun (all IMHO). Truth be told there's not many games out there that I just dismiss as easily but this one just doesn't do it for me at all.

This. Simply the most overrated game ever made. I wouldn't even call it a game actually. It's nothing but cut scenes the whole way.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

@Pffrbt said:
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Anything by Bioware.
  • The entire God of War series.
  • The entire Halo series.
  • The entire Assassin's Creed series.
  • The entire Grand Theft Auto series.
  • The entire Gears of War series.
  • The entire Call of Duty series.
  • Far Cry 3
  • Fez
  • The Last of Us

NO!... Just NO!

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#59  Edited By HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

@iamllamapie said:

Assassin's Creed (All of them) - Way to boring, clunky controls etc.

Dragon Age Origins - Really want to like it but something is stopping me from liking it.

Bioshock Infinite - Gameplay was really downsized from 1 & 2, while the story was great.

Street Fighter - Just never liked it's art direction or gameplay to Tekken, early Soul Caliburs and Mortal Kombat.

GTA IV - Horrible controls, boring setting, horrid car handling, horrid characters, list goes on.

Fallout: New Vegas - Empty, small, more bugs than 3, lifeless... felt like an expansion rather a £40 RETAIL GAME.

Halo 4 - Felt it was far to casualized

Skyrim - See Halo 4

Dishonoured - Felt the game punished me for having fun. i.e don't kill people or there'll be more rats and enimies. Don't use your powers or you'll miss a lot of trophies. Dropped it after a few hours.

Resistance Fall of Man - Thought it was really barebones, even for a launch title.

Assassin's Creed 1 was a chore for me to finish. A good story does not trump repetitive gameplay.

Bioshock Infinite was another disappointment. The E3 15 minute demo was nowhere to be found in the final release and gameplay was definitely watered down and way too linear compared to Bioshock 1 and 2. Even Burial At Sea DLC's look better than Infinite. The new stealth mechanics they added in Episode 2 should have been included in Infinite. Columbia and the whole Vox Populi crap was a waste. Levine should have just made Infinite take place back in Rapture.

GTA IV, I thought the same thing and ended up taking it back a few days later.

New Vegas is starting to grow on me but it will never beat Fallout 3 when it comes to exploration and randomness. I agree it definitely feels like one big DLC for Fallout 3.

Dishonored, what you mentioned are the main reasons that keep me from trying it out.

Gamerno66666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#60 Gamerno66666
Member since 2013 • 175 Posts

Gears of War, DA:Origins, Bioshock 2, Torchlight, FF7(After playing 6, i just could not get into 7) etc

Avatar image for meluvulongtime8
meluvulongtime8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 14

#61 meluvulongtime8
Member since 2007 • 1428 Posts

Halo series, Fallout, Oblivion, the new Max Payne, Batman AC, Borderlands series, Bioshock Infinite. I'll probably try and play some of them again at some point, but didn't see what the fuss is all about