Hidden Gems of the Past

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XereoWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 XereoWarrior
Member since 2012 • 135 Posts

I'm going to list all the best hidden gems I can think of. Please feel free to list your own.

GB: Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle

GBC: Crystalis

GBA: Fire Emblem

GEN: Beyond Oasis

NES: Battletoads

SNES: U.N Squadron

PSX: Blast Chamber

N64: Gauntet Legends

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

-Mars Matrix (DC)

-Gekio Shooting King (PS)

-Mobile Light Force 2 (PS2)

-Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis (XBOX)

-Doom 64 (N64)

-Beetle Adventure Racing (N64)

-Maken X (DC)

-The Flintstones (Genesis)

-Bujingai (PS2)

-Outrun 2 (XBOX)

I could go on, but these are the first ones that came to mind

MudoSkills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MudoSkills
Member since 2012 • 362 Posts
Toy Commander (DC) got really average reviews, but was a fantastic game. I also have really fond memories of playing Blast Corps (N64), but it rarely ever comes up when people talk about the N64.
XereoWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XereoWarrior
Toy Commander (DC) got really average reviews, but was a fantastic game. I also have really fond memories of playing Blast Corps (N64), but it rarely ever comes up when people talk about the N64.MudoSkills
I have fond memories of Blast Corps too. Being a kid, I had no clue how to play the game so I would jump out of the vehicles and run the tiny character around the screen. I ended up playing it a lot so l figured out what you were supposed to do then the game really became fun.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#5 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
N64: Ogre Battles 64 SNES: Metal Warrior. Ninja Warriors NES: Metal Storm Mega Drive: Rocket Knight, Warsong, Ristar Playstation: Arc the Lad Collection
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#6 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

nes-elevator action

snes-top gear 3000

n64-nightmare creatures

genesis-colomns

saturn-nfs

ps1-ape escape

ps2-downhill domination

gc-tmnt

xbox jsrf

gbc-tetris

gba-duke nukem advance

ds-duke nukem ds

psp-not really hidden but gta vcs

wii -no moere heroes or zack and wiki

dreamcast -shadowman

sega cd-sewer sharks

atari 2600 pacman

ps3-f1 ce

xb0x360 -ac 2

3ds so far-tales of the abyss

vita -really has not aged yet tba

wii u -thus far seams like zombi u is going to be a hidden gem thanks to the press

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#7 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Maken X/Maken Shao (DC/PS2) Blood Will Tell (PS2) Silent Bomber (PS1) The Longest Journey/Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (PC)
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

PC: Farenheit / Indigo Prophecy

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I'm going to list all the best hidden gems I can think of. Please feel free to list your own.

XereoWarrior
Nobody here ever mentions the GB Bugs Bunny or Blast Chamber. Two of my favorites.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#10 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

All of mine are GBA:

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King - Mentioned this in another thread. Great little dungeon cralwer w/ an addictive loot system. The Two Towers one is supposed to be good too but I haven't played it yet.

Astro Boy: Omega Factor - This is one of the highest rated GBA games here but nobody seems to mention it. It is a beat-em-up w/ some schmup like levels and a hell of a lot of fun.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong - Tough puzzle platforming. My favorite Mario game ever! Never seems to get mentioned along w/ other Mario games though.

Sigma Star Saga - This game has some pretty deep flaws but I love it anyway. It is an RPG where instead of turn based battles, there's short Schmup levels. I wish there were more games that mixed it up like this.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I think a lot of Koei's old stuff are gems. There's Uncharted Waters 1/2, Romance 2/3 , Aerobiz 1/2, Gemfire, Liberty or Death, Nobunaga, L'Emperer, etc. I should mention Robotrek and Young Merlin as well.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#12 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19587 Posts

Bokosuka Wars (Sharp X1 / MSX) - Some may know the crappy NES port, but the original 1983 computer version is a pretty fun strategy game for its time.

Portopia Serial Murder Case (PC-6001 / PC-88 / NES) - Largely unknown outside of Japan, this important early 1983 adventure game has aged surprisiingly well.

Star Cruiser (PC-88 / PC-98 / Sharp X68000 / Sega Mega Drive) - An early 3D FPS-RPG from 1988 that was way ahead of its time in many ways.

Ninja Gaiden (Sega Master System) - Many know about the NES trilogy, but this 1992 Master System game was arguably superior in nearly every way.

YU-NO (PC-98 / Saturn / Windows) - A 1996 visual novel with a surprisingly well-written time-travel narrative for its time.

Alundra (PlayStation) - Released in 1997, it remains one of the finest action RPGs ever made.

Shadow of Memories (PS2) - Released in 2001, it was the most compelling time-travel adventure game I'd ever played (despite limited production values).

Clannad (PC) - Many know the later anime adaptation, but the original 2004 visual novel is arguably superior, and IMO has the finest narrative I've seen from a video game.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#13 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

Alundra (PlayStation) - Released in 1997, it remains one of the finest action RPGs ever made.

Jag85

I have been meaning to replay this one forever. It's one of my favorite games ever. Love the puzzle solving, which is typically my favorite part of RPGs of any stripe.

XereoWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XereoWarrior
They were two games I didn't expect much of but ended up being totally amazing the more I played them.
[QUOTE="XereoWarrior"]

Heirren
Nobody here ever mentions the GB Bugs Bunny or Blast Chamber. Two of my favorites.

They were two games I didn't expect much of but ended up being totally amazing the more I played them.
XereoWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 XereoWarrior
[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]N64: Ogre Battles 64 SNES: Metal Warrior. Ninja Warriors NES: Metal Storm Mega Drive: Rocket Knight, Warsong, Ristar Playstation: Arc the Lad Collection

Orge Battle 64 was definitely a gem on the N64.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

logicalfrank

I have been meaning to replay this one forever. It's one of my favorite games ever. Love the puzzle solving, which is typically my favorite part of RPGs of any stripe.

Alundra was nothing short of a masterpiece. From the creative mature storytelling to the challenging varied gameplay, it was a game that was masterfully crafted in nearly every way.

Long before dream-walking movies like Paprika and Inception, Alundra had a dream-walking narrative that was every bit as interesting, and perhaps even darker because of its downright ruthlessness. The game's large cast of characters were also just as interesting and well-written, which only made the narrative that much darker when so many of these characters would be killed off... And this was at a time when gamers thought Aerith's death was a huge leap for video games!

The dungeons and especially the puzzles were some of the most challenging I'd ever seen in a game, surpassing even The Legend of Zelda. Alundra also had some of the challenging platforming segments I'd ever seen in an action RPG. Much like its ruthless story, the gameplay was equally ruthless, punishing players unwilling to perservere through the difficult, but very well-designed, dungeons. No doubt this may have put off a lot of players, but it made the game all the more rewarding when you overcame every puzzle and every dungeon.

Even the 2D graphics, the reason it was overlooked at the time, has aged considerably better than most 3D games of that era. Not to mention the wonderful varied soundtrack, which ranged from the dark and eery to the epic and adventurous, matching the mood at every moment.

Overall, Alundra was just a damn fine game in nearly every way!

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#17 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

I think a lot of Koei's old stuff are gems. There's Uncharted Waters 1/2, Romance 2/3 , Aerobiz 1/2, Gemfire, Liberty or Death, Nobunaga, L'Emperer, etc. I should mention Robotrek and Young Merlin as well.Allicrombie

Defenitely Robotrek and Uncharted Waters 1/2.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#18 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]I think a lot of Koei's old stuff are gems. There's Uncharted Waters 1/2, Romance 2/3 , Aerobiz 1/2, Gemfire, Liberty or Death, Nobunaga, L'Emperer, etc. I should mention Robotrek and Young Merlin as well.Blueresident87

Defenitely Robotrek and Uncharted Waters 1/2.

yay confirmation! *does confirmation dance*
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

"Blast Corps" on the N64, most-definitely.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

MonkeySpot
That's one of the reasons N64 is better than PSX. That game would probably be on my top ten games of all time list.
TerragonSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 TerragonSix
Member since 2010 • 390 Posts

PC: Death Rally, Escape Velocity: NOVA

NES: Street Fighter 2010

SNES: Super Mario All Stars + World ; I call this a hidden gem because I don't think many people appreciated what they got in one cartridge when it came out.

Genesis: Eternal Champions (Severely Underrated)

N64: Winback, Army Men: Air Assault

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

Heirren

That's one of the reasons N64 is better than PSX. That game would probably be on my top ten games of all time list.

That game ate one of my summers... Used to go to a friend's house after work where we would kill a twelver and work on it... LOVED that game. I am very surprised when I hear anyone besides myself talk about it. I assume you got all the scientists, and made it off Earth?

;)

We had no idea the game would be so good. We got it at a Toys R Us in a cut-out bin one night, as a lark... Pretty sure it was $3 or something... Little did we know how it would consume us like a serious dope habit... We blew off our dates, stayed up until all hours of the night. Glorious.

:P

I've been thinking about getting a console again, just to play that game... And maybe "Shadows of the Empire" which I also loved. But I bet that hasn't aged well. "Blast Corps" and "Diddy Kong Racing" were (and still are) some of the best that console ever brought to the table.

Saladin__7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Saladin__7
Member since 2012 • 116 Posts
Thousand Arms. I still want to beat that game. My discs got scratched. So I never did.
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

1206379584-00.jpg

Much better than Mavis Beacon and Mario Teaches Typing!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

MonkeySpot

That game ate one of my summers... Used to go to a friend's house after work where we would kill a twelver and work on it... LOVED that game. I am very surprised when I hear anyone besides myself talk about it. I assume you got all the scientists, and made it off Earth?

;)

We had no idea the game would be so good. We got it at a Toys R Us in a cut-out bin one night, as a lark... Pretty sure it was $3 or something... Little did we know how it would consume us like a serious dope habit... We blew off our dates, stayed up until all hours of the night. Glorious.

:P

I've been thinking about getting a console again, just to play that game... And maybe "Shadows of the Empire" which I also loved. But I bet that hasn't aged well. "Blast Corps" and "Diddy Kong Racing" were (and still are) some of the best that console ever brought to the table.

Oh yeah, 100% completion for me. Platinum medals on every stage. Everything about this game was top notch, from the art direction to the music. It was the correct way to make a sizable game, with a great difficulty curve. Rare's best game on the N64, for sure. I'd hook the game up right now but I lost all my N64 games in a flood a few years back. Outside of maybe Twisted Metal, nothing on psx touches Blast Corps. A wanted a sequel really bad.
Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

Dreamcast/PC/(And later: PS2): Fur Fighters

PC/PS2/Gamecube/Xbox: Beyond Good & Evil

PSX/PC: Spider-Man (2001)

PC/MAC: Descent II

Mega Drive/DOS: Comix Zone

slycoon6003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 slycoon6003
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
K'O the kangaroo ps2/xbox/gc i think its on all 3 not sure toe jam & earl 3 mission to earth xbox geist gc fallout brotherhood of steel xbox/ps2/pc Arx fatalis xbox the punisher xbox/ps2 true crime la and ny xbox/ps2 i know alot of people don't like them but i do indiana jones the emperors tomb xbox/ps2/pc scooby doo night of 100 frights ps2/xbox/gc call of cathulu xbox clock tower 3 ps2 haunting ground ps2 cold fear ps2/xbox jet set radio future xbox thats all i can think of so far
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jag85

1206379584-00.jpg

Much better than Mavis Beacon and Mario Teaches Typing!

BarbaricAvatar
Indeed. The greatest typing game of all time!
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

logicalfrank

I'm currently replaying Alundra open the PSP and the awesome remains strong. I forget though, are there save points in the dungeons? Or do I just have to rely on my ability to not get killed until the boss is down:P

Anyway, my own pick is Cybernator (or Assault Suits Valken as it's known in its homeland) for the SNES. Top notch mech blasting action with a compelling Cold War in space storyline that made a nice change from the usual alien menace.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MonkeySpot

the punisher xbox/ps2 slycoon6003

I've got that one! Fun, extremely violent game! And let's face it; The Punisher NEEDS to be as violent as is (in)humanly possible...

:D

slycoon6003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 slycoon6003
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
true the quick kills and the special kills are just great i like the alter kill in the museum or it might be a zoo cant remember it been awhile
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

N64: Ogre Battles 64 SNES: Metal Warrior. Ninja Warriors NES: Metal Storm Mega Drive: Rocket Knight, Warsong, Ristar Playstation: Arc the Lad CollectionLegolas_Katarn

Very nice profile image.

PS1 : Breath of Fire 3, Tactics Ogre

SNES : Earthbound

NES: Mother

Having a hard time thinking today, that's all I can think of.