This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mr-Espresso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mr-Espresso
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

Is there any games that you played that were simply brushed aside but were really great titles in your eyes?

My choice is only last gen but was totally panned and then just fell into the blackhole where all games go to die when critics kill them with words.

This game was a total diamond in the rough and in my opinion was one of the most innovative FPS's ever made. The story of this game was brilliant and the realism it brought from just opening a door to getting a drink or chocolate bar from a vending machine to replenish health.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Oh yes, there are sooo many, but I will keep the list just to the one's that I feel were absolutely praise worthy on almost every level yet remain some of the most underrated, under-appreciated titles I've played:

Zone of the Enders (PS2)

The entire King of Fighters series minus the 3D ones and XII

Ikaruga (GC)

Shenmue 2 (Dreamcast/XBOX)

Strider 2 (PS)

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts

Is there any games that you played that were simply brushed aside but were really great titles in your eyes?

My choice is only last gen but was totally panned and then just fell into the blackhole where all games go to die when critics kill them with words.

This game was a total diamond in the rough and in my opinion was one of the most innovative FPS's ever made. The story of this game was brilliant and the realism it brought from just opening a door to getting a drink or chocolate bar from a vending machine to replenish health.

Mr-Espresso

i LOVE Breakdown!!!! Very underrated

My hidden gem would be:

Maximum Chase

I love the cutscenes and the gameplay, even though it seems short :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzwfNXxXwIs

here's an example of a Cutscene. :P

Oil_Rope_Bombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Oil_Rope_Bombs
Member since 2010 • 2667 Posts
My hidden gems are Big Rigs: Over the Road racing, Zelda: Wand of Gamelon, Link: Faces of Evil, Shaq Fu and Zelda's Adventure. Underrated as hell.
Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

Back in the Sega Genesis days..... Target Earth.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#6 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

the bit generations games for gameboy advance were very interesting.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
My hidden gems are Big Rigs: Over the Road racing, Zelda: Wand of Gamelon, Link: Faces of Evil, Shaq Fu and Zelda's Adventure. Underrated as hell.Oil_rope_bombs
Don't forget Rise of the Robots for SNES or Iron & Blood on PlayStation. But seriously - if you're a pinball fan - you HAVE to play Super Pinball: Behind the Mask on SNES. SP: BtM one of my favorites, along with Hyper 3D Pinball (which was on Sega Saturn and PC).
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

fsdfs

fdasf

lordoftheleft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lordoftheleft
Member since 2011 • 151 Posts

fsdfs

fdasf

Heirren

Nice!

This game pretty much inovated the duck and cover blindfire concepts used by uncharted and Gears.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#10 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

http://image.gamespotcdn.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/5/574065_13822_front.jpg

Bulk Slash on the Saturn , kind of a free roaming mech shooting game, very fun , runs well , looks great , sounds great, and is just overall a great game.

also has some indoor missions as well as a mission set out in space .

http://image.gamespotcdn.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/3/366833_90091_front.jpg

http://ui08.gamefaqs.com/775/gfs_28176_2_1.jpg

not really unknown , but its no Mario or Sonic, but is also very fun , made by what would become Blizzard too.

planetjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 planetjumper
Member since 2010 • 638 Posts

grim fandango, beyond good and evil, alpha centauri, sins of a solar empire

Avatar image for deactivated-58d5e1cf0d33e
deactivated-58d5e1cf0d33e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-58d5e1cf0d33e
Member since 2009 • 227 Posts
Popful Mail for the CDi.
Ginga4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Ginga4life
Member since 2010 • 45 Posts

Beyond good and evil

Little big adventure 2

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Sacrifice and Outcast

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Darkman2007

Sacrifice and Outcast

nameless12345
are those using voxels? looks like they do
Mr-Espresso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mr-Espresso
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Sacrifice and Outcast

Darkman2007

Outcast does, not sure about Sacrifice.

Avatar image for deactivated-6501b57927ebf
deactivated-6501b57927ebf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-6501b57927ebf
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Otogi & Otogi 2 Immortal Warriors both great overlook games with amazing visuals.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Sacrifice and Outcast

Darkman2007

Outcast is a voxel game yes.

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

I realize not all of these are "legacy platform" games, but...

Phantom Dust (Xbox)
The Red Star (PS2)
Bujingai: The Forsaken City (PS2)
Galerians (PS1)
Galerians: Ash (PS1)
Knights in the Nightmare (DS)
Rengoku II: The Stairway to H.E.A.V.E.N. (PSP)
Shadow Hearts (PS2)
Shadow of Destiny (PS2)
The Void (PC)
Darwinia (PC)
Shadow Tower (PS1)
King's Field series (PS1, PS2)
Otogi 1 & 2 (Xbox)
Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox)
Halley Wars (Game Gear)
Arrow Flash (Genesis)
Stargate (SNES)
Journey to Silius (NES)
Shatterhand (NES)
Nier (360, PS3)
Raiden IV (360)
Gunners Heaven (PS1)
Sin & Punishment (N64)
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor (Wii)
Blast Works (Wii)
Castle Shikigami series (PS2, Wii, and-- if importing-- PC and Gamecube)
God Hand (PS2)
Mars Matrix (Dreamcast)
Bangai-O (Dreamcast)
Under Defeat (Dreamcast)
Triggerheart Exelica (Dreamcast, XBLA)
Border Down (Dreamcast)
Galactic Attack (Saturn; aka Rayforce, Layer Section, and Gunlock)
Dark Savior (Saturn)
Darius Gaiden (Saturn)
Silpheed (Sega CD)
Robo Aleste (Sega CD)

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

"Treasures of the Deep" (PSOne)

Kismetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kismetic
Member since 2010 • 118 Posts

Ghosthunter (PS2)

God Hand (PS2)

Shadow of Rome (PS2)

Buffy The Vampire Slayer (Xbox)

Oddworld: Strangers Wrath (Xbox)

Phantom Dust (Xbox)

Stubbs The Zombie (Xbox)

Eternal Darkness (Gamecube)

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

http://image.gamespotcdn.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/3/366833_90091_front.jpg

http://ui08.gamefaqs.com/775/gfs_28176_2_1.jpg

not really unknown , but its no Mario or Sonic, but is also very fun , made by what would become Blizzard too.

Darkman2007

Definitely a hidden gem. Spent many an hour with this game.

I love that Blizzard hasn't forgotten about it and has included sevaral refereances to the Vikings over the years.

The Lost Vikings in World of Warcraft:

They most recently appeared as NPCs in Blizzard's MMORPG World of Warcraft in the dungeon Uldaman. One of the quests in Uldaman also requires the player to collect the Shaft of Tsol and Amulet of Gni'Kiv, which spell out "Lost" and "Vik'ing" when read backwards. The shaft and amulet are combined to form the Staff of Prehistoria, which fits the theme of Uldaman and also is an area in The Lost Vikings. In the new expansion, World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, they feature prominently in a quest line for both factions in the Badlands area of Eastern Kingdoms.

In the Frozen Throne's "Monolith" scenario, the names for the Dark Troll Commando hero are the same as those for the Lost Vikings: Erik the Swift, Baleog the Fierce and Olaf the Stout.

A new unit in Blizzard's recently released StarCraft II is called the Viking, and there is a picture of the unit on their website, subtitled The Lost Vikings.

In addition to this, repeatedly selecting the Viking unit in Starcraft II makes the Viking pilot mention Erik, Baleog, and Olaf getting lost, as he tries to contact them. He also sets in co-ordinates for Norse by Norse-west.

There is also an arcade console in the Cantina of Battleship Hyperion in StarCraft II called The Lost Viking, which is a playable mini-game .

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

AcidSoldner

I love that Blizzard hasn't forgotten about it and has included sevaral refereances to the Vikings over the years.

They most recently appeared as NPCs in Blizzard's MMORPG World of Warcraft in the dungeon Uldaman. One of the quests in Uldaman also requires the player to collect the Shaft of Tsol and Amulet of Gni'Kiv, which spell out "Lost" and "Vik'ing" when read backwards. The shaft and amulet are combined to form the Staff of Prehistoria, which fits the theme of Uldaman and also is an area in The Lost Vikings. In the new expansion, World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, they feature prominently in a quest line for both factions in the Badlands area of Eastern Kingdoms.

In the Frozen Throne's "Monolith" scenario, the names for the Dark Troll Commando hero are the same as those for the Lost Vikings: Erik the Swift, Baleog the Fierce and Olaf the Stout.

A new unit in Blizzard's recently released StarCraft II is called the Viking, and there is a picture of the unit on their website, subtitled The Lost Vikings.

In addition to this, repeatedly selecting the Viking unit in Starcraft II makes the Viking pilot mention Erik, Baleog, and Olaf getting lost, as he tries to contact them. He also sets in co-ordinates for Norse by Norse-west.

There is also an arcade console in the Cantina of Battleship Hyperion in StarCraft II called The Lost Viking, which is a playable mini-game .

there was actually a sequel , which came out on the SNES/Saturn/PS1/PC, though I didn't play too much of it.

interesting feature is that the SNES version looked totally different from the others.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Darkman2007

there was actually a sequel , which came out on the SNES/Saturn/PS1/PC, though I didn't play too much of it.

interesting feature is that the SNES version looked totally different from the others.

I haven't played the sequel and have kinda shied away from it over the years because it wasn't developed by Blizzard (or Silicon & Synapse back then). Considering every time Blizzard outsourced an expansion to one of it's PC games they ended up sucking, I think my concern is well grounded.

But since you've spent some time with it, is it any good?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"] Definitely a hidden gem. Spent many an hour with this game.

AcidSoldner

I haven't played the sequel and have kinda shied away from it over the years because it wasn't developed by Blizzard (or Silicon & Synapse back then). Considering every time Blizzard outsourced an expansion to one of it's PC games they ended up sucking, I think my concern is well grounded.

But since you've spent some time with it, is it any good?

good but not as good as the first.

also the cutscenes in the Saturn/PS1/PC versions are cheesy, very cheesy, which is both good and bad depending on your view :P

the SNES version uses the same engine as the first games, while the other versions have a different artlook with pre renderd characters.