Help for speech on Miyamoto please.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kriact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kriact
Member since 2006 • 746 Posts
I have a fundamentals of public speaking class and I have to do a speech on an influential person. I'm wanting to do it on Shigeru Miyamoto but I have one problem, hopefully someone can help me out with. The relevance to the audience. Anyone know why someone who doesn't play video games would wanna know who this guy is and what he's about? If I can get past this I can probably do a good speech on him. If not I might have to find someone else to do it on. I just can't think of what to say about him. I haven't started looking at my sources yet so I may find something.
Kriact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Kriact

Actually from what I've read he's always been a rebel and never went that dark fantasy or macho route like a lot of other franchises. So if you want something for your kids he's gonna be your top guy. I can say that. Super Mario Bro. is in the Guinness World Record as the most selling game ever.

Anyone disagree with this?

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#3 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Tell them that he's the one that makes games almost everyone knows about. Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, you know, the ones people either pronounce incorrectly or have other misconceptions about :P.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
Miyamoto is living his dream... he knows what he wanted to do, and he went and did it. I'm sure everyone can relate to that desire.
nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts
He almost single handedly revived an industry that was on its last legs to become the 2nd largest entertainment sector (I don't think we've passed movies yet). When everything in the gaming world was considered stagnant and repetitive people believed the fad had worn off and gaming was just going to disappear. Then Miyamoto showed up on the scene with Donkey Kong and the like and reinvigorated a failing industry. I'd say talking about someone who brought an industry from the precipice of implosion and guided it towards being the 2nd largest entertainment industry (over music and the like) would be interesting to anyone. Focus on the business element, not the individual games.
Kriact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kriact
Thanx for the responses. I like what you've told me. It's all true. I am going to focus on him and his creations, but he will be the main subject. I think I'll have to stick with what I've chose the relevance to the audience will be. I think it has to be something beneficial to them. Not just an interesting fact. That's the way my teacher sounded about it. An example speech she did for us today was on Joseph Pilates. He lived earlier this century and was a sick child. What he did was come up with his own exercise program that has help millions. It's similar to yoga.So you might find some use in it.
Avatar image for instantdeath999
instantdeath999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 instantdeath999
Member since 2007 • 3470 Posts
Well, wiuthout him, games that most of them probably play (halo, guitar hero, madden) would most likely not exist. Good fact for them to know next time they call mario or zelda gay
nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nosferatu

I think I'll have to stick with what I've chose the relevance to the audience will be. I think it has to be something beneficial to them. Not just an interesting fact. That's the way my teacher sounded about it. Kriact

It's an example of how innovation is imperative in industry and how it can revitalize it. That is not only interesting, but relevant to anybody and any business.

Kriact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kriact

[QUOTE="Kriact"] I think I'll have to stick with what I've chose the relevance to the audience will be. I think it has to be something beneficial to them. Not just an interesting fact. That's the way my teacher sounded about it. nosferatu

It's an example of how innovation is imperative in industry and how it can revitalize it. That is not only interesting, but relevant to anybody and any business.

eh yea, but I think I gotta come up with my own stuff to say, who to look for if you ever have a reason to buy a game ought to be good enough

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

If I were to do a speech on him, there'd be tons of material I could use. He has such a legacy that people will know who he is based on his iconic characters alone. Just mention he created Mario, Donkey Kong, and Zelda and that will get everyone's attention.

But don't stop there. Mention that he single-handedly saved the video game industry back in the NES days. He is also considered the "father of modern gaming." He is also the first one to be inducted in the AIAS Hall of Fame. And mention that he's one of Time's Most influential people.

Other notes that I feel is important is to point out what he did for the industry. Not only did he revolutionized 2D gaming with Super Mario and Zelda, he also did it again with the transition to 3D gaming with Mario 64 and Zelda Ocarina of Time. He set the standards for both 2D and 3D gaming. And then mention his recent acheivements with popularizing the DS with Nintendogs, Brain Age, and now revolutionizing the industry with the Wii and designing Wii-Sports, Wii-Fit, and appealing to a mass casual market. But then sum it up by saying that Miyamoto will still never forget his legacy by pointing out that he's producing and directing one of the most anticipated games of all-time with Super Mario Galaxy.

Miyamoto may not have popularized genres such as RTSs, RPGs,or FPSs for example, but the ones he did was revolutionary that had a huge impact in the industry. And I think those is all you should mention because those are the ones that are still endearing today.

Hope this helps. These are the things I would say if I did a speech about him.

Kriact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kriact
Ya there are tons of things I could mention on him. Problem is everything must have a source and I must cite it. So much is in this thread but it's no good without any source material. A SK_Story, there's good stuff in your post. I can google AIAS and maybe find some articles on it. And Time's Most Influential, I can find a source on that. I know Time called him the Steven Speilberg of gaming, so when I find that actual source I can put that in my speech. That's where the work comes into play. EVERYTHING MUST BE CITED. I CAN NOT PUT MY OWN INFORMATION OR OPINIONS IN IT. This is a big deal.
nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nosferatu

In all honesty, how old are you? We've given you some excellent starting points and inspiration. No, we did not give you sources because we aren't going to do the work for you. It is all easily sourceable and could all be combined to make for an excellent presentation (or "regurgitative biography project in oral form" its beginning to appear to be).

You want the sources, go find them. Don't tell us how what we're doing is unhelpful or tell us we have no idea what you are going through. I'm a medical student, I was the top of my class at a top 10 university, and I've done scientific research. I promise you, I know how to do a sourced, informative presentation. By the sound of it, so do ASK_Story and other people in this thread, but all you did was ask for helpful ideas and that's what we've provided (and all you could expect us to provide). So instead of sitting here complaining that what we are giving you is not helpful because we haven't sourced it, why don't you take one of the very helpful starting points and go do a little research on it yourself? Learning how to do your own work and how to take an idea and develop itare far more "big deals" than your speech... start with those and perhaps this little speech will come out as a nice side effect.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ASK_Story

Dude, I practically gave you a guideline on how you can format your speech.

I gave you a introduction that has a strong attention getter by mentioning Miyamoto created Donkey Kong, Mario, and Zelda, a good inciteful body paragraphs detailing in order his awards, acheivements, what he did for the video game industry, why he's renowned, and a conclusion even with a Super Mario Galaxy finishing sentence.

Now all you have to do is do the research and find where all this came from. You think I made these up? I obviously read them somewhere.

nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nosferatu

Don't try to baffle me. I'm 24 years old. I came here thinking there would be no f'in reason for your average individual to want to hear of a gaming guru, but Iread a bit and came up with it myself. I was just seeing if anyone could think of something. You don't understand the situation I'm in. His publicity will not benefit the audience. I wasn't asking for someone to do any work for me. I am the one taking the class. I am the one passing the class as it is. I know what I have to do and will do it. I didn't come here asking for someone to do work for me. You people just decide to post crap like this. Piss off.Kriact

Wow..... not only are you incapable of thinking for yourself, but you are completely ungrateful when people (eg: ASKStory) offer you the help you asked for. I think you are entirely missing the point of your assignment too. Your teacher used the Pilates guy as an example. Teaching about him is no more beneficial to the audience than Miyamoto is unless you take the right approach. Speaking,debating, etcis about knowing your audience and how to manipulate the information so that it is relevant and intriguing to them. It is not about picking something you know they are already interested in and just dropping more into their laps. It's an easy topic to do that with because there are so many angles you could take with it if you think for just a second.

But congratulations on coming up with that topic all on your own (

I came here thinking there would be no f'in reason for your average individual to want to hear of a gaming guru, but Iread a bit and came up with it myself.Kriact
look at that, I can source things!), that must have been a difficult thing to do. Thank god coming up with some substance is so much easier right? :roll:

Kriact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kriact

[QUOTE="Kriact"]Don't try to baffle me. I'm 24 years old. I came here thinking there would be no f'in reason for your average individual to want to hear of a gaming guru, but Iread a bit and came up with it myself. I was just seeing if anyone could think of something. You don't understand the situation I'm in. His publicity will not benefit the audience. I wasn't asking for someone to do any work for me. I am the one taking the class. I am the one passing the class as it is. I know what I have to do and will do it. I didn't come here asking for someone to do work for me. You people just decide to post crap like this. Piss off.nosferatu

Wow..... not only are you incapable of thinking for yourself, but you are completely ungrateful when people (eg: ASKStory) offer you the help you asked for. I think you are entirely missing the point of your assignment too. Your teacher used the Pilates guy as an example. Teaching about him is no more beneficial to the audience than Miyamoto is unless you take the right approach. Speaking,debating, etcis about knowing your audience and how to manipulate the information so that it is relevant and intriguing to them. It is not about picking something you know they are already interested in and just dropping more into their laps. It's an easy topic to do that with because there are so many angles you could take with it if you think for just a second.

But congratulations on coming up with that topic all on your own (

I came here thinking there would be no f'in reason for your average individual to want to hear of a gaming guru, but Iread a bit and came up with it myself.Kriact
look at that, I can source things!), that must have been a difficult thing to do. Thank god coming up with some substance is so much easier right? :roll:

You don't want to f'in listen. I CAN NOT & WILL NOT USE WHAT SOMEONE ELSE IS TELLING ME TO DO. I HAVE TO DO THIS MYSELF. I WILL LOOK UP ALL THE F'IN SOURCES AND USE THEM APPROPRIATELY.

Also, it's not a matter of manipulation. I know what the woman said to me. It must be directly useful to the audience or don't say it at all. Don't try to argue with me on my assignment. Public speaking is not about manipulation.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ASK_Story

I got an A in speech class/public speaking and was a English major so I'm just trying to help, man. If you don't want to use the info I gave you, that's fine with me, it's your assignment.

But just to let you know, the info I gave you are solid facts and not opinionated. I didn't come up with those things about Miyamoto from my own knowledge. They were accumulated through my years of reading game magazines and reading interviews on game sites like this one. Plus, being a big fan of Miyamoto is why I know a lot about him. So they're solid facts. It's not copying if they're facts. So I hope you can find some good use for them.

And the post I gave you before is how I would format the speech if I gave it.

Kriact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kriact

And I'm just saying I only came here because for a little bit I could not imagine why someone who didn't know anything about video games would want to hear of this guy. I know how I'm suppose to do this. Everything that's been said to me here I'll probably find on my own. I wasn't looking for some expertise. I can do this easily all by myself. Don't try to call me lazy here. I know this is a very easy assignment and I know I'll pass this easily.

I posted a simple question and I get all these weird responses because some people think they know how to talk to people in certain ways. Piss off.

nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nosferatu
Everything that's been said to me here I'll probably find on my own. I wasn't looking for some expertise. I can do this easily all by myself. Don't try to call me lazy here. I know this is a very easy assignment and I know I'll pass this easily.

I posted a simple question and I get all these weird responses because some people think they know how to talk to people in certain ways. Piss off.

Kriact

Look, plain and simple. If the only information you got was stuff that you feel you could have gotten on your own and you don't want our help, why did you ask for it?

I wasn't telling you to manipulate/fabricate the facts, I was telling you to pick and choose the information and how you presented it in a way that best suited your audience. That's just common sense, but for some reason you didn't seem to grasp that concept either time I mentioned it.

I don't know if you noticed, but I and ASK were both just being helpful and offering information until YOU started with the attitude. He's simply more tolerant of attitudes like yours than I am. You were wrong acting like you did. A simple thanks for the ideas, etc would have been so much better of a response than telling us that our suggestions aren't worth your time when they were actually very valid. Stop trying to go back and justify yourself when you brought it upon yourself.

I'm done here, but needed to tell you that.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ASK_Story

And I'm just saying I only came here because for a little bit I could not imagine why someone who didn't know anything about video games would want to hear of this guy. I know how I'm suppose to do this. Everything that's been said to me here I'll probably find on my own. I wasn't looking for some expertise. I can do this easily all by myself. Don't try to call me lazy here. I know this is a very easy assignment and I know I'll pass this easily.

Kriact

Why are you telling me to "piss off?" Did I ever show any attitude back toward you? I was patient until now and was trying to be helpful as much as I can since I've been in your shoes before with public speaking classes, but if you're going to get all defensive and tell me to "piss off" than sorry if I ever tried to help in the first place.

First of all, I never called you lazy. I just encouraged you to to use the facts I gave you and to do the research to find the sources. And secondly, I didn't say I was a expert. But I did get an A in the same class your doing so I thought I could help out. But it looks like you don't want any help.

Just trying to help you make a good impression about Miyamoto since he's my favorite developer. Sorry if I touched a nerve. I won't post here again.

Kriact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kriact

I wasn't trying to have some kind of attitude. If you're talking about when I used caps, that was just becuase I was trying to get the point across that whatever you might say will probably be useless. I was just pondering the answer to a simple question right whenI began thinking about the subject.

I'm not looking for someone to do my work for me. I can do it myself. It's you guys that started forking over all this info and said you did the work for me.

CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#23 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
Whenit gets nasty, it gets closed.