Have you ever been genuinely offended by a game?

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KSU-Wildcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 KSU-Wildcat
Member since 2008 • 859 Posts

I picked up Saints Row 2 on the way out of Hastings today when I was picking up a Philosophy textbook. It was $9.99, so what's the worst that can happen? I loved GTA4 immensely, and some of the people who disliked it said that Saints Row was less serious and just "fun."

My first impression was that this seemed like a last gen game. The city is flat, dull, and lifeless. I can outfit my male character with breasts. The cars handle wonky and the physics are all over the place. .I woke up in a hospital and, for no reason at all, killed somewhere around 100 cops on my way to escape. My next mission had me go in to a court house and slaughter 100 more cops, a few civilians, even a shotgun wielding judge. I was scratching my head, wondering when this "fun" would happen, and continued to give it a chance. I was then told I need more "respect" (from whom, I have no idea) to try the next mission. I was tasked with finding the nearest "activity" (from what I've heard, these were the most "fun"), so I proceeded down the street. The activity was titled, "Septic Revenge." Ooookay... My job, you ask? A horrible voiced and animated character whom I've never met wanted to ride around the city and spray, you guessed it, human waste all over the local populace. I had to spray cops, cars, shops, people eating, buildings, everything. My meaningless, nameless teammate driving me around was cracking jokes about the human waste and the people we were running over the whole time. He, and more importantly, the game, thought this whole situation was hilarious.

I'm not easily offended. In fact I've never been offended at a game. But the entire set up of this game was lacking taste to a degree that I've turned the game off and have shelved it, probably forever. Killing cops and spraying poo everywhere is what constitutes as fun these days? Sorry Saints Row fans, I'll stick to GTA, where the chracters and story have depth, and my actions, however questionable at times, have reason and meaning.

Well, have you ever been offended by a game? Do you disagree with me entirely? Post away!

hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#2 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts

Lol! Yeah when you put it like that it does sound kinda offensive, i do still like the game though. I don't think iv been genuinely offended by any game before, i will have to have a think about that one.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e799a72eb68
deactivated-60e799a72eb68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-60e799a72eb68
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts

Killing cops and spraying poo everywhere is what constitutes as fun these days?

KSU-Wildcat

I felt giddy just reading that.

But seriously, no, I've never been offended by a game. Saints Row makes more sense if you play the first one.

drochnathair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 drochnathair
Member since 2008 • 412 Posts

I've gotta say, that sounds pretty ridiculous.

I haven't really been outright offended by a game, but Manhunt disturbed me to the point where I no longer wanted to play it. The deadly serious treatment of the deaths and subject matter was a bit too much for me. It all left me feeling soiled, like the feeling after watching a French extreme horror flick.

KSU-Wildcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KSU-Wildcat

[QUOTE="KSU-Wildcat"]Killing cops and spraying poo everywhere is what constitutes as fun these days?

6_Dead_360s

But seriously, no, I've never been offended by a game. Saints Row makes more sense if you play the first one.

I knewthere had to be a deeper meaning to the level, "Septic Revenge." :P. Haha. I don't know, maybe I didn't give it a fair shot, but what I spent the first half hour of the game doing was enough to make me take a step back and ask myself what the hell I was doing with my time!

KSU-Wildcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KSU-Wildcat

[QUOTE="KSU-Wildcat"]Killing cops and spraying poo everywhere is what constitutes as fun these days?

6_Dead_360s

Haha, it wasn't until after I had posted when I realized that sentence was pretty funny!

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#7 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Not really offended, but there is one game. It was some weird game about a guy with a some spirit that possessed his shadow for some reason. The game was walking around environments and using the shadow's power to change shape to pinch big girls with enormous breasts. They were bigger than the females, themselves. Returned it the same day.
KSU-Wildcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KSU-Wildcat
Not really offended, but there is one game. It was some weird game about a guy with a some spirit that possessed his shadow for some reason. The game was walking around environments and using the shadow's power to change shape to pinch big girls with enormous breasts. They were bigger than the females, themselves. Returned it the same day.BranKetra
Haha. Uhhh, what? Can't tell if serious.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Not really offended, but there is one game. It was some weird game about a guy with a some spirit that possessed his shadow for some reason. The game was walking around environments and using the shadow's power to change shape to pinch big girls with enormous breasts. They were bigger than the females, themselves. Returned it the same day.KSU-Wildcat

It was a PS2 game. I forgot the name.
mariomaster16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#10 mariomaster16
Member since 2008 • 762 Posts

i don't think I've ever been offended by anything in a game. Then again, I don't play games like Saints Row or GTA, I find those games to be stupid wastes of time. I don't really find killing cops and spraying crap on people amusing, it's just juvenile. I've tried GTA San Andreas, but I couldn't stay interested after the first twenty minutes.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I find it ironic how you write "Killing cops and spraying poo everywhere is what constitutes as fun these days?", and then write that you'll rather stick to Grand Theft Auto.

Hammerhead72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hammerhead72
Member since 2011 • 224 Posts

Nope, can't say i have yet....but, i gotta agree with you on Saints Row 2. I too was left scratching my head at how people found the game to be 'fun' and 'better than GTA.'

JonathanL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#13 JonathanL
Member since 2002 • 22123 Posts

Ah, yes. Stretch Panic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stretch_Panic

staindcoldlp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 staindcoldlp
Member since 2004 • 15121 Posts

[QUOTE="KSU-Wildcat"][QUOTE="BranKetra"]Not really offended, but there is one game. It was some weird game about a guy with a some spirit that possessed his shadow for some reason. The game was walking around environments and using the shadow's power to change shape to pinch big girls with enormous breasts. They were bigger than the females, themselves. Returned it the same day.BranKetra

It was a PS2 game. I forgot the name.

I believe you are talking about Okage: Shadow King.

Anyways, I've never really been offended by a game so to speak, but the closest thing that comes to mind was Army Of Two. Probably just because of the lack of intelligence that came from the main characters.

KSU-Wildcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KSU-Wildcat

I find it ironic how you write "Killing cops and spraying poo everywhere is what constitutes as fun these days?", and then write that you'll rather stick to Grand Theft Auto.

Treflis

One would have to be naive to consider the cop killings in the games similar in anything other than name. It just isn't handled the same.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Games don't really offend me too much either, but the shortness and lack of creativity of MTV's Celebrity Deathmatch really pissed me off. Fortunately, it was on a list of trade-in games for preordering a Smackdown! game at Gamestop. The trade-in value for each game was $10, and I traded that and a couple others in. :D
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

Nope. I take games with a grain of salt unless the game is meant to be taken seriously. That type of stuff doesn't offend me at all. It's just fun.

knightseason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 knightseason
Member since 2006 • 1260 Posts

I've never been offended full stop, and the thought of being offended by a game just seems silly to me.

heytheredarlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 heytheredarlin
Member since 2010 • 869 Posts

Sounds like you're too sensitive.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 branketra

Ah, yes. Stretch Panic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stretch_Panic

JonathanL
This is it.
Warhawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Warhawk_
Member since 2006 • 1497 Posts

Sorry to say this TC but the game that offended me wasGrand Theft Auto 4 because of how much it sucks so much. Saints Row 2 was awesome and everything about the game was fun.

wazzmalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wazzmalo
Member since 2010 • 219 Posts

Treflis

In GTA you kill cops, not spray them with "poo."

Uncle_Tbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Uncle_Tbag
Member since 2006 • 2677 Posts

heytheredarlin
Why would games be excluded? Are we too sensitive if offended by a book, photo, movie, painting, song or any other form of expression? It's possible to be overly sensitive, but for most people the problem is just the opposite: having our sensibilities numbed to the point where we can't feel shock any more. Shock or any strong emotional response can be a vital part of experiencing art or media. Whether the shock is worthwhile or not is another debate.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Never played Saints Row 2, but after reading your description of the game, my first thoughts are how bad a game like this is for the legitmazing of an already controversial industry.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Treflis

I think his main point is that there is a narrative present in GTA.

theSteeeeels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 theSteeeeels
Member since 2011 • 520 Posts
i was offended when i was a few hours into mass effect 2. couldnt believe they called that **** a sequel. im never blind buying a game again
multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

The Insurance Fraud and Drug Trafficking activities in SR2 are hilarious !

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#28 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator  Online
Member since 2004 • 49590 Posts
Um, never. :P
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

I was offended by how bad Big Rigs was.

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#30 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts

Silverbond

I think everyone was. :P

As far as being offended, so far so good. I've never been offended by a video game.

fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fastr
Member since 2010 • 2100 Posts
So you bought a game you knew was off the wall, much crazier then GTA, and your surprised its crazy? Really? I'm offended you thought like that as a gamer. No game has ever offended me, because I know what i'm buying, and hey, it's just a game. Nothing to get upset about. BTW, you kill cops in GTA as well, yet your fine with that?
heytheredarlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 heytheredarlin
Member since 2010 • 869 Posts

[QUOTE="heytheredarlin"]

Uncle_Tbag

Why would games be excluded? Are we too sensitive if offended by a book, photo, movie, painting, song or any other form of expression? It's possible to be overly sensitive, but for most people the problem is just the opposite: having our sensibilities numbed to the point where we can't feel shock any more. Shock or any strong emotional response can be a vital part of experiencing art or media. Whether the shock is worthwhile or not is another debate.

Being a game has nothing to do with it. The fact that he's offended by the content he described is what makes him sensitive.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Nope, not really

KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 KillerWabbit23
Member since 2009 • 3466 Posts

Silverbond

Oh, Alex Navarro, how we will miss you. :(

planetjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 planetjumper
Member since 2010 • 638 Posts

Never offended, but i've been taken-a-back by Postal 2 and MW2 airport level

CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

"Thor" and "Bulletwitch" offended me...what a pile of **** they are.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

That's the problem, they don't want to make a copy of GTA. Saints Row managed to make a name for itself with its over the top things in it. I for one really liked it, gameplay wise and story wise. Had more fun than GTA4 simply because the characters were way better and the plot was more fun, less depth. (which was too bad) Not sure how it offended you since in GTA you shoot cops and pedestrians too. The cop cars even have the words PIG on them. I can understand why you didn't like it but it's a matter of taste.

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

[QUOTE="Silverbond"]

Amnesiac23

I think everyone was. :P

As far as being offended, so far so good. I've never been offended by a video game.

On the other hand thanks to that game one of the best GS reviews emerged. AlexN nail'd it.

Geosisnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Geosisnl
Member since 2009 • 143 Posts

Hmm it seems to me that you were actually actively looking for something negative about the game. I mean, your whole post is full of negativity towards a 10(!) dollar game. If you're not willing to give it a chance in the first place then why even play the game?

But no, I've never really been offended by games. Always thought the game Postal would insult me one way or another, but never cared to try it haha.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#40 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

Sorry to say this TC but the game that offended me wasGrand Theft Auto 4 because of how much it sucks so much. Saints Row 2 was awesome and everything about the game was fun.

Warhawk_

Well played sir. Well played.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

If you get offended by a game then you really shouldn't be playing games in the first place nuff said. Games always do crazy sporadic things because they always have. Its the one place people can do crazy things and get away with it.

Geosisnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Geosisnl
Member since 2009 • 143 Posts

If you get offended by a game then you really shouldn't be playing games in the first place nuff said. Games always do crazy sporadic things because they always have. Its the one place people can do crazy things and get away with it.

seanmcloughlin
True, but I disagree with staying away from games. There's maybe a handful of games that contain somewhat offensive material (GTA series, Manhunt etc) but for the most part games are not as offensive as you portray them to be imo.
jiggidyjiggidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jiggidyjiggidy
Member since 2007 • 1119 Posts
i doubt any of us had any normal emotional development (all of our parents were too busy to love and nurture us as our body/minds demand, biologically) so it's hard for us to react to violence or rape or whatever in games because we don't actually care in real life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Geosisnl

True, but I disagree with staying away from games. There's maybe a handful of games that contain somewhat offensive material (GTA series, Manhunt etc) but for the most part games are not as offensive as you portray them to be imo.

Well yes I guess Manhunt and GTA are a bit overboard. But still, they are just videogames. Does this guy get as offended at movies that portray almost identical material? We live in very desensitised times.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-59b71619573a1

i doubt any of us had any normal emotional development (all of our parents were too busy to love and nurture us as our body/minds demand, biologically) so it's hard for us to react to violence or rape or whatever in games because we don't actually care in real lifejiggidyjiggidy

Thank you for that link because that was awesome and completely blew my mind. That guy is a genius, it explains a lot about myself and my family for that matter

KSU-Wildcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KSU-Wildcat

[QUOTE="Geosisnl"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

Well yes I guess Manhunt and GTA are a bit overboard. But still, they are just videogames. Does this guy get as offended at movies that portray almost identical material? We live in very desensitised times.

Not at all. I should have clarified what I meant by offended. Cop killings in other games (GTA) are handled differently, yes, but what offended me most was the pure lack of taste the game has. I was doing things that had me taking a step back and looking at myself, all while the game was cracking nonstop jokes and apparently having a hell of a time with itself. Maybe I'm too old??

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

seanmcloughlin

That argument makes no sense. Excluding pure sociopaths, everyone is offended by something.

Also, it sounds like the TC was bothered not by Saint's Row's content, but by its random idiocy (which it confuses with humor).

BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

nope, but then again i'm not playing saints row or other peices of crap.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

CarnageHeart

That argument makes no sense. Excluding pure sociopaths, everyone is offended by something.

Also, it sounds like the TC was bothered not by Saint's Row's content, but by its random idiocy (which it confuses with humor).

Saint's row has never claimed it was a serious game or that it was a non violent game. It is well known for its lunacy and its bad humour. Especially in the context of violence. I don't see how you can get offended by a game thats notorious for said offences. Its like buying manhunt and then saying you got offended because it was too violent.

KSU-Wildcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KSU-Wildcat

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

Saint's row has never claimed it was a serious game or that it was a non violent game. It is well known for its lunacy and its bad humour. Especially in the context of violence. I don't see how you can get offended by a game thats notorious for said offences. Its like buying manhunt and then saying you got offended because it was too violent.

READ the OP. I wasn't offended by the violence. In said OP I go on to say I love GTA. The combination of so many tasteless acts being presented in what was supposed to be a funny way is what turned me off.