Have Graphics Progressed Enough?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CooVee
Member since 2005 • 2161 Posts
In this current gen of gaming, games have had the best graphics we have seen in years. Gears of War with it's detailed character models, Heavenly Sword for it's lush environments and Crysis for...well...everything. Can anyone really see the graphics getting any better then they are now? Sure not all current gen games look amazing. Heck, some games don't look any better then their last gen counterparts. What I am trying to say is, rather then making graphics progression a priority for the next generation of gaming, how about game developers focus more on making their games handle that graphical power better and generally make their games run better with more emphasis on the actual gameplay rather then how pretty the game will look. Games have never looked better and what more could developers do to improve upon something that seems good enough already.
Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

Some of the stuff i have seen on id's new engine Tech 5 tells me there is a lot more that can be done that is not being covered.

The current graphics are of course, wonderfulm but it all depends on how they are used. I've been watching someone play Two Worlds for the 360 and it is a great looking game, but there are still glitches in it that distract from the game. Example, while you walk thorugh a luchly populated field, shrubs and flowers will pop-up in front of you. Once they pop-up they look great, but why even include them if they are going to pop-up? Leave them out.

So better tech will make it easier for inattentive developers to make games that look good.

RED_REDie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RED_REDie
Member since 2007 • 265 Posts
If i wanted ultra- realistic character models i just look at other ppl..whts wrong with games being a bit edgy, it's what made max payne for me. If nerds who like to live in parent'sbasements want the same they'll need a life first!
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

Honestly, graphics for me have been done since the end of the N64's lifespan. I don't give a damn how real something looks or how much some polygons replicate an object. As long as I know what it is and it's pleasing to the eye, then I'm fine.

I'd much rather care about the main thing that matters in games.....THE GAME aka gameplay.

cos_vanquish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 cos_vanquish
Member since 2007 • 1143 Posts

Can graphics get any better? Yes they surely can and will. Do we want and need better graphics? No, we don't. Most of us are perfectly happy with the graphics of today and would rather thedeveloping team put more emphasis into the gameplay instead of making everything look as good as it possibly can.

Graphics are going to keep progressing until you can't tell the difference from what's real and what isn't. But, this isn't at all what most gamers want. I think as these graphics continue to increase in realism, gamers will take the outing right at where they stand today or possibly even a little better.

So, as far as graphics go to a gamer, they are good enough as is, and games should really stick to them and work on other aspects of a game. But, for the regular consumer of visuals who want to see things on the internet, I believe that graphics will keep evolving until they are not far from perfect and life like.

Vis-a-Vis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vis-a-Vis
Member since 2006 • 1977 Posts

I'm a graphics whore, I don't like to admit it, but I cringe at the Wiis graphics when I play mine (Nintendo is amazing though, i'll stick with them forever) I personally can't wait for graphics to improve, better animations, models, textures, facial expressions, explosions, physics etc. etc. as much as people don't like to admit it, that all adds to the overall gameplay. Just my opinion though.

I never want to see the point where graphics become moot and gameplay is #1, I like looking at pretty things. Gameplay isvery, very important too.

Amazing graphics + Great gameplay>>>>>>Decent graphics + Amazing gameplay.

All just my opinion though.

Moogleman23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Moogleman23
Member since 2007 • 186 Posts
Sure, games graphics can get better, but I think that there is a little too much emphasis on it nowadays. I think this stage of graphics is just fine and more focus should be put into storyline and game features rather than making the game look too perfect to be relatable.
Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts

I find the artistic design of a game to be much more important than graphical superiority. I know some will disagree with me, but Wind Waker is the best looking Zelda game. I don't think I've seen another game make better use of cel-shading. It's also why Halo looks much better than Kill Zone 2 (even they're pretty compariable graphically).

I think shooters, real-time strategy games, racing games, and sports games will always be pushing to have the best graphics in their respective genres. (It also seems like RPGs are starting to become graphics heavy too.) As nice as the eye-candy is in these genres, it's very rare we see them do anything new. I know with the RTS genre, it often feels like the focus on graphics results in other, more important, areas of the game to be lacking in comparison to their predecessors.

Besides, if graphics stopped being such a big deal, the graphics cards companies would have to focus on something new. Like AI or physics cards. It'd be too much to ask for our consoles and PCs to have a longer life-span in regards to gaming.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

No. Soon we will have photorealstic games with flawless animations. Well not soon, but soon enough.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I myself would rather see developers focus more on artstyIe and art direction then handling of technical graphics. Most games that have unique and effective artstyIes are usually remembered long after the memories of their not-so-artistic counterparts fade away.

Technical graphics are great, sure, but they always will become outdated in the future, so as developers, they need to do something to make them more permanent.
Ninety-2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ninety-2
Member since 2003 • 920 Posts

I find the artistic design of a game to be much more important than graphical superiority. I know some will disagree with me, but Wind Waker is the best looking Zelda game. I don't think I've seen another game make better use of cel-shading. It's also why Halo looks much better than Kill Zone 2 (even they're pretty compariable graphically).

I think shooters, real-time strategy games, racing games, and sports games will always be pushing to have the best graphics in their respective genres. (It also seems like RPGs are starting to become graphics heavy too.) As nice as the eye-candy is in these genres, it's very rare we see them do anything new. I know with the RTS genre, it often feels like the focus on graphics results in other, more important, areas of the game to be lacking in comparison to their predecessors.

Besides, if graphics stopped being such a big deal, the graphics cards companies would have to focus on something new. Like AI or physics cards. It'd be too much to ask for our consoles and PCs to have a longer life-span in regards to gaming.

Skie7

Co-sign 100%.

mosa922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 mosa922
Member since 2007 • 749 Posts

Remember when the Ps2 came out, the graphics on the games were worser then this year. Okay here if you've played GTA 3 then you know GTA sanandreas has better graphics, and they're both on the same console just a couple of years apart. So yeah Graphics can get better.

bigmacksax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bigmacksax
Member since 2003 • 65 Posts
There will definitely be better graphics. Things like tiny details, like how dust moves in the wind or how the basketball net moves after a basket. Things you won't really notice conciously.

Someone already mentioned this but I think this will allow developers to focus more on style rather than realism. So you can make it look photo-realistic? Photos can be boring, too. Put something interesting in there that I want to be photo-realistic. Use your imaginations.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts
[QUOTE="Skie7"]

I find the artistic design of a game to be much more important than graphical superiority.

Ninety-2

Co-sign 100%.

In my opinion.

>

IMO

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#15 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts

Yes
selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
Graphics will never again experience the drastic changes it has during the last decade, but there will be more subtle changes for a long time to come. Things like lighting and textures still have a long way to go IMO. However, you are correct in saying that what we have now is enough for the time being. Just look at Nintendo's strategy. On the other hand, the only way to improve the industry is to continually break boundaries with technology and games development. If we stopped using the latest game engines then GPU manufacturers like ATI and Nvidia will not be able to help things progress. It's thanks to these big companies for allowing developers to push graphics further and further. EDIT: I am concerned though, that the development costs are a direct result of graphics becoming so complex and detailed. I guess it's up to developers to strike a balance in that regard.
Korubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Korubi
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts
There's always room for improvement. I get excited just thinking about the future of video game graphics :).
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I'm going to go against the grain and say graphics can get a lot better. Sure, the PS3 and X360 are great systems which impress today, but every generation of systems impressed in their day (I can remember when Intellivision's graphics were extremely impressive).

Of course, the importance of graphics is dependent on the types of games one is interested in. For example, minigame collections (and casual gamers are a big chunk of the market) don't need cutting edge hardware. However, hardcore games really benefit from advances like better AI, better animation, more complex architecture, better physics, better lighting, better textures, more enemies onscreen and the ability to better transmit emotion.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#19 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

No. Soon we will have photorealstic games with flawless animations. Well not soon, but soon enough.

Wasdie

Honestly, I think they haven't, but I do think that violence in games is getting there. Soon we'll be seeing photorealistic people being gunned down in the name of immersive entertainment. I'm about done with that stuff.

Take a look at Id's new project, Rage, which uses their new graphics engine Tech 5. Motion may be one thing that pictures have a hard time supporting (Pics of the PS3 Ridge Racer vs the actual gameplay, you know?), but emotion is another.

Check this out.Tech 5

Avatar image for I-Am-Revolution
I-Am-Revolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 I-Am-Revolution
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts

Until you have a game where the character models are built like real humans/creatures, who breath and bleed like they should, who have organs and bones that can bust, break, collapse and rupture just like a real living organism. Until you have a game where you could magnify something by 10,000x, and still be able to be rendered exactly the way the real world is rendered before our own eyes. Until you have a game, that is more than a game, that is a real, living, breathing universe, Graphics have not progressed enough. By the look of things, it will be quite a while before that happens.

-RvL

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Yeah, from now on I'd rather start seeing some imagination, rather than attempts at photorealism. Still, the absolute photorealistic game is still a long way off.
orcbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 orcbuster
Member since 2003 • 2019 Posts
I Think it will come to a point where the cost of producing the game will become too high too be finacially justifiable. Games do not bring in as much money as movies. period.
appleater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 appleater
Member since 2002 • 1574 Posts

Some of the realistic graphics are my favorites. The water in BioShock as Levine says plays a role in the story, partly because of the sheer willpower it would take for Ryan to build a city in the face of the immense pressure at the bottom of the ocean. The lighting in Halo 3 seems to have been focused on by Bungie, maybe like they focused on bump mapping earlier because that was the Xbox's strength, but it's great how it really makes it feel like this is earth and you are defending it and this is real. Valve studied, as is their wont, a university professor's life work, which is to master every possible human expression and what they signify, to make Alex in Half-Life 2 seem real.

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
well technology will never be at a state that it won't be upgraded but at the moment we can keepthese graphics and develop on other things like lighting and motion and robotic's
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#25 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I Think it will come to a point where the cost of producing the game will become too high too be finacially justifiable. Games do not bring in as much money as movies. period. orcbuster
Wrong
Myviewing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26 Myviewing
Member since 2006 • 539 Posts
I personally don't care about graphics really. I guess that would mean I've been done with graphics progressing since day one, but that's just what I've got to say. I just find it amazing how so many people actually find graphics to be an important part of gameplay. Graphics do not make the game!
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#27 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Crysis is enough. How about developers take a break and work on gameplay or memory instead of graphics? Make the games longer, not prettier. Then again, graphics sell.
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

No. I want shooting a person in a game to be visually indistinguishable from shooting a person in real life.

I'm being sarcastic of course, but my real point being that graphics still have a long way to go. I honestly believe that, some day, graphics in some games will be virtually indistinguishable from a movie, other than your character always being on-screen, but how long that will take is anybody's guess.