Hardest retro games ever?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts,Super R-Type,and the first Devil May Cry were insanely hard for me.

lordlunch2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 lordlunch2
Member since 2006 • 544 Posts
I know this isn't the hardest, but I'm playing Ninja Gaiden right now and holy crap is it hard.
Stefan91x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Stefan91x
Member since 2011 • 225 Posts
R Type 2 Contra Hard Corps Mega Man 1,2 Battletoads
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Ghosts series, Contra series, Mega Man series, ect.

NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

Ninja Gaiden should be renamed..."The Birds"

Silver Surfer should be renamed..."The Walls and Floors are lava so only step on certain tiles every 100 feet and you'll survive"

SlykReviewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 SlykReviewin
Member since 2009 • 138 Posts

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts,Super R-Type,and the first Devil May Cry were insanely hard for me.

GreekGameManiac
Man I have heard A LOT of insanely hard games over the years of watching AVGN and reviews. Here's what I can remember: -Battletoads (NES) - So many people say the 3rd level is INSANELY hard and I can see that since you have to have really quick reflexes and a fast reaction time. It's not recommended for the casual gamer. Fortunately I did beat the level *cough* on an emulater *cough* using game saves *cough* Wait who said that?? -Ninja Gaiden (NES) - Another very difficult game in the NES library (which has A LOT of these kind of ridiculously hard games). The birds are annoying and sometimes the game feels broken which adds to the frustration and cheap deaths count. Same can be said for 2 and 3. -Ghouls and Ghosts (NES) - Just who thought it was a good idea to complete the game twice? We already had enough torture dammit! Ghouls and Ghosts series were hard so if you wanna look for a challenge here it is! -Megaman (NES) - I have heard a lot of gripes about the first Megaman game from many people. Is it the hardest? I dunno, I haven't played it. Megaman games can be extremely hard at times. -Jak 2 (PS2) - I've heard so many people complain about its difficulty and how it was insane! I can totally see that. Some missions can pop a couple of your blood vessels and in some cases can turn you into an aggressive person in life. Good thing I'm playing it! That's all for now but the NES library is where you should be checking out. There are some really tough games in there!
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#7 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Comix Zone Ninja Gaiden (NES) Jak II
kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

Blaster Master (NES)

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

Ninja Gaiden (every single one of them, even the arcade port for the Lynx gets hard later on)

Mega Man games (nes)

Tetris (level 19 insane fast speed)

Gouls and Ghosts

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

no doubt enemy zero

glimpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 glimpus
Member since 2004 • 2306 Posts

Battletoads, Ninja Gaiden.

The first TMNT was really hard too.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

SlykReviewin

Man I have heard A LOT of insanely hard games over the years of watching AVGN and reviews. Here's what I can remember: -Battletoads (NES) - So many people say the 3rd level is INSANELY hard and I can see that since you have to have really quick reflexes and a fast reaction time. It's not recommended for the casual gamer. Fortunately I did beat the level *cough* on an emulater *cough* using game saves *cough* Wait who said that?? -Ninja Gaiden (NES) - Another very difficult game in the NES library (which has A LOT of these kind of ridiculously hard games). The birds are annoying and sometimes the game feels broken which adds to the frustration and cheap deaths count. Same can be said for 2 and 3. -Ghouls and Ghosts (NES) - Just who thought it was a good idea to complete the game twice? We already had enough torture dammit! Ghouls and Ghosts series were hard so if you wanna look for a challenge here it is! -Megaman (NES) - I have heard a lot of gripes about the first Megaman game from many people. Is it the hardest? I dunno, I haven't played it. Megaman games can be extremely hard at times. -Jak 2 (PS2) - I've heard so many people complain about its difficulty and how it was insane! I can totally see that. Some missions can pop a couple of your blood vessels and in some cases can turn you into an aggressive person in life. Good thing I'm playing it! That's all for now but the NES library is where you should be checking out. There are some really tough games in there!

This list covers some of the worst offenders.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

The first Mega Man is insane! I beat the rest of the classic series, but I can't get to any of the robot masters on the original except Cutman!

The original Ninja Gaiden also gets very hard on the last act. Also very frustrating since it sends you all the back to begining of the act if you die at the boss.

Also, F-Zero GX is pretty hard too.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
Contra Harcorps for the Sega genesis/megadrive is freaking insane in the japanese version you have a health bar, but it was removed on the western release
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Contra Harcorps for the Sega genesis/megadrive is freaking insane in the japanese version you have a health bar, but it was removed on the western releaseohthemanatee

They should've kept it,lol.

:(

OH! Btw,if by health bar you mean a damage bar and each time you take damage decreases,and after it's done you're gone...

I have the game,apparently they left it on in the European version.

And to the member that said the original Megaman...ohhhh,i feel your pain!

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
The Adventure of Bayou Billy Ghosts 'n Goblins series R-Type series Battletoads series The 7th Guest Comix Zone
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Emerald_Warrior

The Adventure of Bayou Billy Ghosts 'n Goblins series R-Type series Battletoads series The 7th Guest Comix ZoneDeafNYCPlayer

Ah yes, Comix Zone. That's one not many people mention. They just remember the cool concept and impressive graphics (for the Genesis). But to this day, the furthest I ever made it in that game is the snow/tibet level, after the alien eggs level. So basically I can't make it past the 3rd freaking stage, lol. Health potions are VERY few and far in-between, free men don't exist, and the game has destructible environments which at certain places you HAVE to destroy to go on, yet it hurts your health to do so. I found that, especially, to be soooo cheap and frustrating.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Comix Zone was pretty darn hard indeed. I never finished it. Then again I never tried for longer than a few hours at most.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#19 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

[QUOTE="DeafNYCPlayer"]The Adventure of Bayou Billy Ghosts 'n Goblins series R-Type series Battletoads series The 7th Guest Comix ZoneEmerald_Warrior

Ah yes, Comix Zone. That's one not many people mention. They just remember the cool concept and impressive graphics (for the Genesis). But to this day, the furthest I ever made it in that game is the snow/tibet level, after the alien eggs level.

Me too!

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

I don't think comix zone is that hard personally :\

at least, not until the last boss

KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

Enemy Zero

Riven (THE HORROR!)

The 7th. Guest

Battletoads

Ghosts N' Goblins

Ninja Gaiden

Silver Surfer

Final Doom

2dplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 2dplayer
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Crime Fighters is a hard game. You have to fight all the bosses at the end.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Not the hardest ever, but I remember that the later levels in Goldeneye--on the hardest setting--were extremely difficult.

AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts
Sonic 3D on the Mega Drive. I dunno, maybe I just don't have the depth perception skills to play it. I felt like a complete idiot half the time playing it.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Emerald_Warrior

Sonic 3D on the Mega Drive. I dunno, maybe I just don't have the depth perception skills to play it. I felt like a complete idiot half the time playing it.AirGuitarist87

I find that game to be incredibly easy. I can beat it in under an hour.

AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts

[QUOTE="AirGuitarist87"]Sonic 3D on the Mega Drive. I dunno, maybe I just don't have the depth perception skills to play it. I felt like a complete idiot half the time playing it.Emerald_Warrior

I find that game to be incredibly easy. I can beat it in under an hour.

I envy you. As a kid and as an adult I just end up bouncing around like a rabbit on drugs.
limonman32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 limonman32
Member since 2009 • 130 Posts

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Emerald_Warrior

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

limonman32
That last dungeon is freaking brutal. To this day, I've only actually beaten the final boss once.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

mike tysons punch out

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points