Halo 3: Graphically Unimpressive

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ernesto_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ernesto_basic
Member since 2002 • 2123 Posts

Hi guys, I thought I'd bring up a topic that seems to be avoided around these parts, which happens to be the appearance of Halo 3. First off, I'd like to say that I'm a fan of the series and while I'm greatly looking forward to the 3rd and evidently final chapter, I must say that I'm quite underwhelmed. Granted, these are beta screens, but as we all know, they're usually indicative of the final product. It saddens me to think that Bungie of all developers, hasn't delivered on something truly pleasing to the eye, especially since we've seen phenomenal examples from the likes of Rare, Epic, and many others on the platform thus far.

Also, watching the multiplayer videos both officially released and leaked, I have to admit that it seems as though we're going to be treated to a warmed over serving of Halo 2.5 (or something to that effect). I sincerely hope that we're going to see some significant changes in both visuals, gameplay, and hopefully even story elements. I was blown away by the first, dissapointed by the 2nd and to be frank, I'm concernedwith the progress shown with the 3rd (so far).

Maybe Halo 2 killed the anticipation and standards I once held this series to? I don't know, but I want the magic this series had right before the release of the 2nd... Bungie, please don't let us down, because this is the LAST game!

[EDIT: Screens have had to be removed, as they break a NDA] 

ArchieGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 ArchieGates
Member since 2002 • 8843 Posts
Bungie has stated that the graphics are still rough and they are going to be polished up significantly before the game releases.  In order to get the best possible gameplay experience, they are using placeholder graphics for a lot of things so that they can fine tune the gameplay while development on the graphics continues.  That's why a lot of stuff looks like Halo 2, but rest assured, things will start to look much better closer to release.
Ernesto_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ernesto_basic
Well Archie, you're gonna have to excuse me if I remain a skeptic here. As you already know, many companies say the same thing and for the most part, the screens they release at this point of the development cycle are usually indicative of the final product. I don't remember ever seeing them saying anything about using "halo 2" placeholders, but again, I'm also not calling you a liar.
-zonkey-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -zonkey-
Member since 2007 • 411 Posts
i really hope the graphics are polished up.  i know gameplay makes a game fun but graphics mean alot to me.
DuDisNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 DuDisNow
Member since 2007 • 2741 Posts

Halo 3 has a coat to put on and still needs to be polished.  You know the December trailer, BUNGIE has swore that H3's graphics will be better than that.

bigdrew172

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 bigdrew172
Member since 2004 • 1390 Posts
I think the leaked video is the best thing that could have happened to Halo 3.  If they originally were only going to polish the graphics a little more, they will now have to do major improvements.  The fans got a glimpse and said that it wasn't acceptable so if they want to create a stir with Halo 3 they now have to put a lot more work into the graphics and start releasing ingame footage that everyone will be excited about.  I had my worries that Halo 3 would be lackluster and they'd just try riding the popularity of Halo 1 and 2.  But now they have no choice but to make a better game. 
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I'm not sure what the hell is Bungie doing here, but it's definitely counter-productive. It all started well-enough, last years E3 trailer was awesome, but I haven't seen anything even remotely impressive since. They're killing their own hype. All of the "alpha" and "beta" screens/footage is complete and utter bull****. Bungie needs to release some impressive footage or something, not those lame documentaries nobody cares about.

Ernesto_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ernesto_basic

I think the leaked video is the best thing that could have happened to Halo 3. If they originally were only going to polish the graphics a little more, they will now have to do major improvements. The fans got a glimpse and said that it wasn't acceptable so if they want to create a stir with Halo 3 they now have to put a lot more work into the graphics and start releasing ingame footage that everyone will be excited about. I had my worries that Halo 3 would be lackluster and they'd just try riding the popularity of Halo 1 and 2. But now they have no choice but to make a better game. bigdrew172

I just don't see them going back and reengineering a new graphics engine. If this is indeed what it will look like, then I don't know what the heck they were thinking. Yes, gameplay matters so much, but we also buy next generation consoles to get next generation visuals too.

From what I've seen so far, the gameplay doesn't look to be anything revolutionairy either.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

I'm not sure what the hell is Bungie doing here, but it's definitely counter-productive. It all started well-enough, last years E3 trailer was awesome, but I haven't seen anything even remotely impressive since. They're killing their own hype. All of the "alpha" and "beta" screens/footage is complete and utter bull****. Bungie needs to release some impressive footage or something, not those lame documentaries nobody cares about.

UpInFlames

Indeed.  I think gameplay footage needs to speak for itself, not the other way around. 

Ernesto_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ernesto_basic

UpInFlames

The documentairies they've released have been counterproductive with me, because I see a game that seems to be nothing more than a continuation of the route Halo 2 went. From the documentaries, I see Halo 2-like graphics, animations, GAMEPLAY, and it doesn't help that they've made the brutes the focus. 

DuDisNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DuDisNow
If you watched the Et Tu Brute? Vidoc...the graphics looks great!
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Yeah, I'm not really impressed with how they've handled Halo 3:

The CGI commercial was at best a lame move, and a deceptive one at worst.

The early sneak peeks of the game right when Gears came out was baffling, as all it did was make Halo 3 look awful by comparison.

They got people to buy Crackdown by allowing them into the Halo Beta, but conveniently left out that it was only for a couple weeks.

EDIT: And let's not forget the $129 "Special Ed"ition.

And now the game looks like a gussied-up Halo 2.

Yeah, not off to a very smooth start with me. At all. I'm sure it'll play awesome and sell twice as nice, but I'm not impressed by how it's been handled or what I've seen.

Avatar image for banjobear_basic
banjobear_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 banjobear_basic
Member since 2002 • 2643 Posts
Lies. Bungie said the e3 trailer was in game real time, so it must be true! And since those screens looks worse than the trailer, they must be fake!
Ernesto_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ernesto_basic

Yeah, I'm not really impressed with how they've handled Halo 3 at all:

The CGI commercial was at best a lame move, and at worst a deceptive one.

The early sneak peeks of the game right when Gears came out was baffling, as all it did was make Halo 3 look awful by comparison.

They got people to buy Crackdown by allowing them into the Halo Beta, but conveniently left out that it was only for a couple weeks.

And now the game looks like a gussied-up Halo 2.

Yeah, not off to a very smooth start with me. At all. I'm sure it'll play awesome and sell twice as nice, but I'm not impressed by how it's been handled or what I've seen.

Shame-usBlackley

The "in-engine" video they showed us way back when definitely was deceptive, because as you also stated, the shots (which evidently were in-game) released during GoW's release really did make it look a generation behind.

I'm not convinced that this one will sell as well as the 2nd, because Halo 2 had Halo 1 to set the precedent :)

DuDisNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DuDisNow
God...it looks better than H2 graphics.  And...the graphics are realy good.
soultron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 soultron
Member since 2007 • 113 Posts
I'm not going to be pleased if Bungie spends more time spiffing than they do tuning. I don't want another HALO 2 multiplayer auto-aim mess. I don't think the artstyle has room for anything but more bump mapping, and Forerunner architechture will be just as angular as it was in the previous games.

As long as it plays good, I'm happy with HALO 2 visuals. I honestly mean it. I will care only if it looks worse than HALO 2, and the alpha and beta builds are already looking good, in my opinion.
Korn_Wallace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Korn_Wallace
Member since 2002 • 1950 Posts
Maybe they're not aiming for Gears of War level graphics in order to offer a stable online multiplayer experience from the implimentation of large maps and 64 player online play?:o...... Of course, I'm just pulling stuff out of the sky. I don't know if that's Bungie's goal or the technical aspects of any of this. If that's not the case then I hope they do touch those graphics up a bit.
Ernesto_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ernesto_basic

Maybe they're not aiming for Gears of War level graphics in order to offer a stable online multiplayer experience from the implimentation of large maps and 64 player online play?:o...... Of course, I'm just pulling stuff out of the sky. I don't know if that's Bungie's goal or the technical aspects of any of this. If that's not the case then I hope they do touch those graphics up a bit. Korn_Wallace

That's another thing... why isn't there any talks about user-created maps or anything above 16-player multiplayer? Where is the next-gen stuff that wasn't possible with the original Xbox? 

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
halo was never about graphics.
bigdrew172

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bigdrew172
Member since 2004 • 1390 Posts
halo was never about graphics. JPOBS
I agree, however, now that we are in the next gen why can't we want both great graphics and great gameplay?  It no longer has to be a compromise.
Korn_Wallace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Korn_Wallace
Member since 2002 • 1950 Posts

[QUOTE="Korn_Wallace"]Maybe they're not aiming for Gears of War level graphics in order to offer a stable online multiplayer experience from the implimentation of large maps and 64 player online play?:o...... Of course, I'm just pulling stuff out of the sky. I don't know if that's Bungie's goal or the technical aspects of any of this. If that's not the case then I hope they do touch those graphics up a bit. Ernesto_basic

That's another thing... why isn't there any talks about user-created maps or anything above 16-player multiplayer? Where is the next-gen stuff that wasn't possible with the original Xbox?

That's one thing I'm still waiting for. Like I said, I'm not knowledgeable in the technical espects of video game consoles, But computer games have had 64 player on-line play for years. I would have thought consoles would have reached that level by now. Imagine a 32 on 32 Halo team deathmatch! I was playing Call of Duty for the PC two years ago on a 64 player server. The chaos was beautiful, although it was slightly laggier. Perhaps lag is the issue as that many players in one session might overtax the XBox Live server. Not sure. 

TheCrimsonblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheCrimsonblur
Member since 2003 • 1376 Posts
Heh. I thought I was the only one who has been underwhelmed by the info released thus far. Guess not. Though, I don't think that stops this game from being one of my most anticipated titles regardless. They need to clean up so much of the game that it I have a feeling that they are probably scrambling to get ready for a reasonably appealing beta for all those suckers who bought Crackdown for the beta (I bought Crackdown for Crackdown :) ). The game still feels like it is in the early stages of development from the previews--that is, unless the final product will actually LOOK like that..but, really, there is no telling. Chances are, we will all be surprised how far the developers are.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44417 Posts
Personally I don't think the game looks that bad but I do have faith that it will look better in the final product. While I also found the vidocs not terribly exciting they didn't dampen my enthusiasm for the game it still remains as my most anticipated game this year.
Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#24 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts

i think even if they make the grahics better, it would look like any other halo game but just clearer

DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
Halo was never known for good graphics, so I dont see why we need to expect this one to be a huge improvement.
Terrorantula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#26 Terrorantula
Member since 2007 • 1795 Posts
The graphics on Halo games have always looked bland and generic to me, only problem is now it's being released looking much dated than everything else. Crysis will kill it.
overfeind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 overfeind
Member since 2004 • 2984 Posts
I don't understand the big deal. Why not want a game that has increased the areas of AI, world size, phyics, and framerate solidness. are not those things more diversed than just a graphical boost?
TheCrimsonblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheCrimsonblur
Member since 2003 • 1376 Posts

I don't understand the big deal. Why not want a game that has increased the areas of AI, world size, phyics, and framerate solidness. are not those things more diversed than just a graphical boost?overfeind

We aren't speaking in black and white. Of course we want gameplay improvements. But graphical enhancements are anticipated as well; there is no reason to that it cannot have both good gameplay and good graphics.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#29 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I don't understand the big deal. Why not want a game that has increased the areas of AI, world size, phyics, and framerate solidness. are not those things more diversed than just a graphical boost?overfeind

I'm not sure why should we choose one over the other. I expect all of those things in such a high profile game. The problem is we haven't seen any of this.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

It has the capability to do that. This is next gen hardware you know.

the_hsoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the_hsoj
Member since 2006 • 1289 Posts
i thought at first that it wasnt much better than Halo 2 but if you look at a Halo 2 screen and a Halo 3 one side by side Halo 3 looks much sharper and has better textures and lighting. If your still not the slightest bit convinced that Halo 3 graphics are much better then just remember they will get better. 
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

That's one thing I'm still waiting for. Like I said, I'm not knowledgeable in the technical espects of video game consoles, But computer games have had 64 player on-line play for years. I would have thought consoles would have reached that level by now. Imagine a 32 on 32 Halo team deathmatch! I was playing Call of Duty for the PC two years ago on a 64 player server. The chaos was beautiful, although it was slightly laggier. Perhaps lag is the issue as that many players in one session might overtax the XBox Live server. Not sure.

Korn_Wallace

Part of your problem with consoles is that you don't really have dedicated servers, like you do with PC's.  Everything's peer to peer, which means that the machine that's hosting also has some dude playing on it.  

Ernesto_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ernesto_basic

You know what I don't understand? Why is it that when anyone has anything negative to say about graphics, people like you assume that we ONLY want graphics and graphics ONLY???? Seriously, we should expect more instead of making excuses for developers.

I want great graphics, advanced AI, advanced physics, and NEW gameplay mechanics (like how Rainbow 6 mastered the cover system and such)!!! I love the Halo universe, but I find the information we already know to be seriously lacking to say the least.

Ernesto_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ernesto_basic
[QUOTE="Korn_Wallace"]

Teufelhuhn

Part of your problem with consoles is that you don't really have dedicated servers, like you do with PC's. Everything's peer to peer, which means that the machine that's hosting also has some dude playing on it.

This is true, but when they have a dedicated server option, things work well. Unfortunately, ever since Halo 2, EVERYTHING has been P2P. 

camreeno360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 camreeno360
Member since 2005 • 6850 Posts

It looks Halo 2. The video they had explaining all about Halo 3 didn't look like a big jump.

-it looks the same when someone dies

-still no bullet holes on guys when you shoot them

-Hell, there still aren't rag-doll physics for anythin except boxes and vending machines

-Graphics are a tiny big less blurry, woo...hoo...

Ernesto_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ernesto_basic
Has anyone been surprised by ANY of the information leaked to us? I haven't been wowed like I was with the previous installments... I can't think of anything that surprised me (yeah... that shield grenade doesn't do much for me... neither do the brutes taking center stage).
Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts

At the risk of sounding inflammatory...if you can't just look at a screen and say "next-gen" the devs have already failed.  This looks like a vote of no confidence from Bungie.  Maybe they know that whatever they do, it won't match the hype the game has, so they're not even going to try.
Ernesto_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ernesto_basic

At the risk of sounding inflammatory...if you can't just look at a screen and say "next-gen" the devs have already failed. This looks like a vote of no confidence from Bungie. Maybe they know that whatever they do, it won't match the hype the game has, so they're not even going to try.Alaris83

EXACTLY!!!

This is Microsoft's FLAGSHIP title... make no mistake here, this is the one that will be the face of the system and it is paramount that it not only meets the established baseline, but that it also pushes the envelope! Look back on other flagship titles for past consoles and ask yourself if they were mere upgrades. Super Mario 64, Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros.... get the idea? Objecively speaking, it looks like a decent title if it was from a 3rd party... you know, one that didn't create the FRICK'N HALO SERIES!!! This is THE MS game, THE game to own an Xbox/Xbox 360 for and if you look at the stuff that's coming out as a casual gamer, you've got to say "wtf, Gears of War looks better than that!"... Now, if you're a long-time fan of the series, I can also see where you'd be completely underwhelmed with the direction it's been taken to. I just don't see anything here that says it will be anything more than a better game (maybe great to those that truly loved H2 multiplayer... I personally didn't like the way it turned out).

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#40 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
What part of the game is not done yet do you not understand? Is it so much to ask that you wait for the final product come out before you bash a game? It still has months to go and Bungie has said that not everything is in place yet so just wait.
The_Duke_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 The_Duke_Lives
Member since 2007 • 597 Posts
[QUOTE="JPOBS"]halo was never about graphics. bigdrew172
I agree, however, now that we are in the next gen why can't we want both great graphics and great gameplay?  It no longer has to be a compromise.

There has never been any such compromise. That is only a myth.
The_Duke_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 The_Duke_Lives
Member since 2007 • 597 Posts

Anyways, I'm not worried at all. I remember PDZ looked like pure crap months before release. Now, to this day that game has the best textures I've seen in any game ever. Even Gears.

Heck, I was pretty disappointed by the way the GTA4 trailer looked, and now journalists that have played the demo are saying it already looks noticably better than the trailer.

I think Halo 3 will be just fine. Wait until Fall (or at least until you've seen a single screen from campaign mode) to start complaining.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

Anyways, I'm not worried at all. I remember PDZ looked like pure crap months before release. Now, to this day that game has the best textures I've seen in any game ever. Even Gears.

Heck, I was pretty disappointed by the way the GTA4 trailer looked, and now journalists that have played the demo are saying it already looks noticably better than the trailer.

I think Halo 3 will be just fine. Wait until Fall (or at least until you've seen a single screen from campaign mode) to start complaining.

The_Duke_Lives

I think GOW graphics are overrated personally. I find some parts of Oblivion, GRAW and even Kameo to look better to me. Rare has some killer textures going on. I don't know why the 360 can't seem to render larger areas without murkey, muddy textures that gradually fade into detail though. It stands in contrast with the smaller areas.

With Halo 3, yes it looks largely like a higher resolution halo 2. But I've been playing alot of games that want to wow you with graphics and they come off feeling more like interactive experiences than actual games. Games like Halo and GTA can't come soon enough for me and it's all because of the gameplay.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#44 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Here's my theory, call me a conspiracy nut if it pleases you......

I honestly believe that the majority of what we will see in Halo 3 is content that has been cut from what was to be originally included in Halo 2.  I thought Halo2 single player was absolutely terrible compared to the first, for a variety of reasons that I'm sure you all have heard numerous times. 

Anyways, it makes perfect sense: MS tells Bungie to gut the better parts of Halo2 and use them for 3.  Not only will it speed up the development process of H3, but they know damn well that Halo 2 would garner undeserved praise based off of hype and the first's reputation and will subsequently sell well, which it definitely did.

Now, by looking at the visuals, it makes me believe even more that the majority of content has been brought over from Halo 2, albeit polished up and optimized for the 360.

This is probably gonna piss some of you off, well hey.....that's the way it goes.

Halo 3 is probably more than likely Halo 2.5.

theboxmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 theboxmike
Member since 2005 • 2615 Posts
I cant belive im the only one here that thinks the visuals looks inasne? serouisly i think there nearly perfect!!(well not that far)
trifecta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#46 trifecta_basic
Member since 2003 • 11542 Posts
Halo 2 went alpha in July, so there isn't " a lot" of time to work on the graphics.  There's no way the game should look like that, especially since many of the players won't be seeing it on a HD. 
theboxmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 theboxmike
Member since 2005 • 2615 Posts
Halo 2 went alpha in July, so there isn't " a lot" of time to work on the graphics.  There's no way the game should look like that, especially since many of the players won't be seeing it on a HD.  trifecta_basic
Err you do realise that they have many versions of the game......they only showed us Alpha
IonescoF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 IonescoF
Member since 2007 • 3052 Posts

I said the same thing about Unreal Tournament 2004, but I proved wrong.

Anyway, you should wait until the final version appears.

nuttybar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nuttybar
Member since 2005 • 9624 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but I played Halo 2 for years and have put hundreds of hours into it, I think Halo 3 looks miles better.  Also, Halo 3 has 16 player support, and Gears Of War has 8.  So the graphics have to take a hit to allow for more players, and I would rather have more players in multi than better graphics.  That, and the recent leaked video (which im unsure if we can post images from), showed a re done Zanzibar map which was far bigger than the Zanzibar in Halo 2.  Some games do change a lot too, IIRC GRAW1 came along a long way in the space of a few months.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Halo 2 ended up looking much better than the pre-release screens, even if the normal mapping was a bit tacked-on. I'm sure this will look good enough, it would make no sense for Microsoft to release this if it didn't measure up to the best-looking games on the system.