GW2 and Wow expansion look to go head up

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MikeFlavaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 MikeFlavaz
Member since 2011 • 188 Posts

Wow expansion in Beta. I'm thinking the strategy behind that is that if GW2 comes out first, they could take another big hit on subscriptions and this just after SW:TOR. I would think GW2 would want to debut 1st because that would give them a greater chance of stealing more of Wow's player base which still is the largest in all the mmos. I see a bit of cat and mouse coming up. It should be interesting to see who states their release date first and when they will both be.

N0tYrBeezin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 N0tYrBeezin
Member since 2003 • 6930 Posts

There was no big hit after SWTOR. The number hardly changed during the period right after the Star Wars MMO. They lost far more subscribers well before though.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Hmm I think many MMO gamers will at least buy Pandaria regardless of what MMO's are out there.
So, I think it would actually be beneficial for GW2 (if they want to keep people playing) to release a month after Pandaria as I don't see Pandaria purchases resulting in subscriptions.
That said, don't tell this to Anet cause I want to play GW2 nao!

Petnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Petnos
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Although GW2 has already stolen me from WoW without a shadow of doubt, I don't think the two are going to threaten each other as much as people think. Call it hunch, but the way I see it the two will either end up being completely different and people already on WoW wont find it appealing, or they'll be similar enough that the playerbase will want to juggle the two. I'm leaning towards the former, but this is still just my guess. Pre-orders for GW2 in 5 days :) been waiting 3 years for this week!