GTA4 Official Thread of the Aftermath

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

New screen.

Photobucket

Counting the days.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#202 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

Game Informer had these interesting bits of info

- Enemies can sometimes play dead, laying on the ground only to pop up and take a few shots at you when you least expect it.

- There are cinematic deaths. The preview said Niko was shooting at people in cranes and when he scored a hit, the camera zoomed in to watch the crane operator fall to his death.

- Three or Four different tracks for each mission to enhance replayability.

- Drinking minigame: The object is to get home either driving or walking drunk (wait until Mr. Thompson hears this)

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#203 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

New GTA IV Video: Phil Bell (My favorite character so far)

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#204 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

Oh. My. God. Becky.

Shake That Healthy Butt.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 SteelAttack

- Enemies can sometimes play dead, laying on the ground only to pop up and take a few shots at you when you least expect it.

- There are cinematic deaths. The preview said Niko was shooting at people in cranes and when he scored a hit, the camera zoomed in to watch the crane operator fall to his death.

- Drinking minigame: The object is to get home either driving or walking drunk (wait until Mr. Thompson hears this)

smerlus

That sounds really good! Especially the drunk driving bit, lol. An old Xatrix shooter, Redneck Rampage, had something like that. Your character could drink beer or whiskey, and if you got drunk the controls would become unresponsive, and make you walk sideways. It wasn't useful, though, it only got you killed faster. Much like real life drunk driving. o_0

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
[QUOTE="smerlus"]

SteelAttack

That sounds really good! Especially the drunk driving bit, lol. An old Xatrix shooter, Redneck Rampage, had something like that. Your character could drink beer or whiskey, and if you got drunk the controls would become unresponsive, and make you walk sideways. It wasn't useful, though, it only got you killed faster. Much like real life drunk driving. o_0

Remember that Vice City segment where Tommy and Phil got wasted on moonshine and Phil lost an arm playing with explosives, at which point a hammered Tommy (his vision was blurry and the screen lurched from side to side) had to get Phil to the hospital?

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#208 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Remember that Vice City segment where Tommy and Phil got wasted on moonshine and Phil lost an arm playing with explosives, at which point a hammered Tommy (his vision was blurry and the screen lurched from side to side) had to get Phil to the hospital?CarnageHeart

That mission was like trying to maneuver a one-armed oranguntan rowing an inflatable boat during a stormy night in the Bering Sea.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 rragnaar

I'm stealing some of the screens that you posted Dutch! :P

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 HiResDes
^hahahha, Dutch got jacked.
Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#211 Dutch_Mix
Member since 2005 • 29266 Posts

^hahahha, Dutch got jacked.HiResDes

Own3d. :P

I don't know why I didn't think of this thread before I made the post. Chalk it up to forgetfulness I suppose.

v2580s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#212 v2580s
Member since 2007 • 32 Posts

Hey guys,

do you know if there is a chance of getting published in a PC version?

I would love that...

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 rragnaar

Hey guys,

do you know if there is a chance of getting published in a PC version?

I would love that...

v2580s

I don't have anything official to back it up, but I believe a PC version is coming in the Fall.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 SteelAttack
[QUOTE="SteelAttack"][QUOTE="smerlus"]

CarnageHeart

Remember that Vice City segment where Tommy and Phil got wasted on moonshine and Phil lost an arm playing with explosives, at which point a hammered Tommy (his vision was blurry and the screen lurched from side to side) had to get Phil to the hospital?

Sounds like fun...in a hell kind of way. I'll now hijack this thread with another confession...I've never played Vice City. Or GTA3 for that matter. I jumped straight from GTA2 to San Andreas. I think Vice City is available on Steam, so I might as well give it a go soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bcab65d395ac
deactivated-5bcab65d395ac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 deactivated-5bcab65d395ac
Member since 2005 • 1197 Posts

good info

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 UpInFlames

Sounds like fun...in a hell kind of way. I'll now hijack this thread with another confession...I've never played Vice City. Or GTA3 for that matter. I jumped straight from GTA2 to San Andreas. I think Vice City is available on Steam, so I might as well give it a go soon.SteelAttack

Good Lord man, you're going to get a major thrashing in Team Fortress 2 for this!

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 SteelAttack

Good Lord man, you're going to get a major thrashing in Team Fortress 2 for this!

UpInFlames

:D Careful with what you wish, I just started Steam and I'm in kicking ass mode.

Photobucket

See? :P

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 UpInFlames

^^ Argh, can't join you right now, perhaps later.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#220 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

Some clarification on the DLC:

GTAIV DLC

Just got back from Microsoft's Blogger Breakfast and it was a hoot! The smoked bacon was delicious! Several bloggers got to throw questions at Chris Satchell, Aaron Greenberg and John Schappert. They answered all the questions and even recruited Ron Workman to their PR team. Here are the bullets as I wrote them down:

* When MS says exclusive, they mean that no other system can have DLC content for GTAIV

* It will be bigger than a lot of people think. GTA Vice City and San Andreas were basically expansions of GTA3. Think of the DLC that way. We are talking major expansion for GTAIV

* No price has been discussed yet. It's up to Rockstar on whether or not they will charge for it

* If successful, DLC may be the new way to deliver GTA expansions

Unles they are creating a brand new city that is twice the size of Liberty City there is no way it can be like Vice City or San Andreas. But having new locations does seem possible and thats probably how its going to be, hmm I do want that. I could handle not playing a mission pack but getting a ton of new stuff I want.

dvader654

If they add that much content, I'd be surprised. Early estimates said about 10 hours of game time with each episode.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 UpInFlames

It will be bigger than a lot of people think. GTA Vice City and San Andreas were basically expansions of GTA3. Think of the DLC that way. We are talking major expansion for GTAIVdvader654

I don't know what the hell is that guy smoking, but Vice City and San Andreas were not expansion packs and the Grand Theft Auto IV episodes will not be that big. They're episodes, not new installments in the series and the first one is coming out this year - there's not a doubt in my mind that they will be significant simply because I don't believe Rockstar is in the business of ripping people off with irrelevant bits and pieces, but they won't be that big.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 rragnaar

[QUOTE="dvader654"]It will be bigger than a lot of people think. GTA Vice City and San Andreas were basically expansions of GTA3. Think of the DLC that way. We are talking major expansion for GTAIVUpInFlames

I don't know what the hell is that guy smoking, but Vice City and San Andreas were not expansion packs and the Grand Theft Auto IV episodes will not be that big. They're episodes, not new installments in the series and the first one is coming out this year - there's not a doubt in my mind that they will be significant simply because I don't believe Rockstar is in the business of ripping people off with irrelevant bits and pieces, but they won't be that big.

I agree... and Microsoft's track record on GTA4 should be somewhat suspect at this point. They've made a habit of making untrue claims about GTA4 since E306 when they claimed that they had managed to secure exclusivity on the game. Rockstar had to later clarify that MS had managed to secure exclusive content. Here in the last few weeks Microsoft tried to claim that the 360 version was the only version with online multiplayer. Rockstar had to point out that this wasn't true, and that all versions would have multiplayer.

I understand it can be hard to know who to trust though. MS wants people to buy their version of the game, and Rockstar just wants people to buy the game. It is in MS's best interests to make the 360 version sound infinitely superior, and it is in Rockstar's best interests to make sure that their time spent on the PS3 version of the game wasn't wasted.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 UpInFlames

They've made a habit of making untrue claims about GTA4 since E306 when they claimed that they had managed to secure exclusivity on the game. Rockstar had to later clarify that MS had managed to secure exclusive content. Here in the last few weeks Microsoft tried to claim that the 360 version was the only version with online multiplayer. Rockstar had to point out that this wasn't true, and that all versions would have multiplayer.rragnaar

To be fair, those misunderstandings were created by journalists seeking for sensationalist headlines with no regard for the actual facts. Peter Moore clearly said that Microsoft will have Grand Theft Auto "on day 1", he never said it will be exclusive to the 360. The multiplayer comment was also taken out of context:

Mattrick says that it's "an amazing piece of software and I'm really excited with its downloadable content and online multiplayer support. Again, that's something that's unique to 360."

While admittedly a bit unclear, he didn't say that the 360 is the only version with multiplayer, it's rather obvious to anyone with a rational mind that he meant the level of the online service is something specific to the 360.

Make no mistake, big companies lie a lot to consumers, but the journalists have to take responsiblity as well as they often take something that was said out of context and try to make it sound like something that wasn't said - no matter how far-fetched it might be.

erawsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 erawsd
Member since 2002 • 6930 Posts

Am I the only one who thinks GTA games are boring, plaged with glitches, bad AI, very arcadey repetitve gameplay? I see rockstar still can't make a good graphics engine. Then again, hamstrung by consoles there. repercometh

No, I'm sure you aren't the only one. Though the title reads "Thread of Anticipation" not "Do you like GTA?", so it makes since that people who are interested in game will come here and aren't going agree with you. If you don't like GTA, then I can't think of any reason you'd click on this thread, unless you're looking to troll.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="repercometh"]Am I the only one who thinks GTA games are boring, plaged with glitches, bad AI, very arcadey repetitve gameplay? I see rockstar still can't make a good graphics engine. Then again, hamstrung by consoles there. dvader654

Go away!

I think we have a shoe in for worst new poster of 2008.

Quick impression for you. Who am I?

"I think chocolate is overrated and sex is boring and pointless."

"Every game ever made is overrated. Every game that will ever be made is also overrated."

"Am I alone in thinking that naked women are painful on the eyes?"

"The graphics engine in GTAIV sucks; you can barely see Niko's pores in his skin. Barely."

"I really, really need some attention. I am Ozymandius, King of Trolls!"

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 rragnaar

I absolutely love the aviators that he has on. Such a great look. Can't wait to snipe some fools in this game.

Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Dutch_Mix

Heads up! Tomorrow morning, Team Xbox will have a brand new preview as well as some new screenshots.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 rragnaar

Heads up! Tomorrow morning, Team Xbox will have a brand new preview as well as some new screenshots.

Dutch_Mix

There are supposed to be a bunch of previews going up today from all the major sites. including some previews of the PS3 version.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
[QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"]

rragnaar

There are supposed to be a bunch of previews going up today from all the major sites. including some previews of the PS3 version.

ahhh, I dont have a good feeling about that

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 rragnaar

IGN's preview is up. I'm off to read it. I bet it will be pretty boring and that we will all cancel our preorders after reading it.

For the first time, Rockstar gave us hands-on access to both the PS3 and 360 versions of GTA IV. The good news is that no matter which system you prefer, you're going to have a great-looking game to play. There are only some minor visual differences noticeable between the two preview versions. The 360 build is brighter and has slightly more vibrant color while the PS3 build has less aliasing issues. Both display a solid, consistent framerate even during scenes with heavy pedestrian traffic and wild explosions. While graphics whores will find subtle differences to nitpick, the average Joe is going to be happy with either version.IGN

Great news... and really the color issue on the PS3 version can be fixed by using the full color RGB settings in the PS3 settings... or adjusting your TV if you are lame and aren't running your PS3 through an HDMI cable.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

Lol, people still haven't learned about the ps3 colour "issue". Anyway there is like 2 million previews on the net now!!!

Gamespy

1UP

TeamXbox

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 rragnaar
Kikizo has a new preview as well. These guys do the best previews in my opinion. Or atleast, their last GTA4 preview was bananas.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 rragnaar

Hotness!

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 rragnaar

Videogamer.com is confirming that the game will take 100 hours to beat.

GTA 4 will take roughly 100 hours to finish, Rockstar has told VideoGamer.com.

During our visit to Rockstar's London HQ for a hands-on with 2008's biggest game, we asked a spokesperson how long it would take to finish the series' next-gen debut. The answer: about 100 hours, if you take your time.

"If you're not in a rush and you answer the phone when it rings it'll take about 100 hours to complete", we were told. "It's harder to distinguish between main and side missions - there are loads of both. But there are more main missions than side missions. It's not as clear cut as it used to be because of the phone."

In GTA 4 main character Niko's phone is used to call computer-controlled characters, arrange drinking sessions, sort out dates with women and call in jobs. It'll also be the portal through which players will access GTA 4's multiplayer, on which there is currently little info.Videogamer

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 rragnaar

I thought this tidbit from IGN's preview was pretty stinking cool.

Our first chance to put our hands on GTA IV proved more satisfying than we'd expected. And there are many aspects we still haven't explored. At the start of the game, Liberty City is on lockdown due to a recent terrorist threat. All bridges are closed except for those who have documentation proving their citizenship. Niko doesn't have such documents. But you can still cross the bridges anyway -- you just earn an automatic 5-star wanted level. We call that Threat Level Orange. We also verified that there are vigilante missions in the game. Just hop in a cop car and access the computer to find wanted criminals. We know it exists; we just didn't have the opportunity to try it out.IGN

Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Dutch_Mix

I thought this tidbit from IGN's preview was pretty stinking cool.

[QUOTE="IGN"]Our first chance to put our hands on GTA IV proved more satisfying than we'd expected. And there are many aspects we still haven't explored. At the start of the game, Liberty City is on lockdown due to a recent terrorist threat. All bridges are closed except for those who have documentation proving their citizenship. Niko doesn't have such documents. But you can still cross the bridges anyway -- you just earn an automatic 5-star wanted level. We call that Threat Level Orange. We also verified that there are vigilante missions in the game. Just hop in a cop car and access the computer to find wanted criminals. We know it exists; we just didn't have the opportunity to try it out.rragnaar

Neat.

It seems like there's going to be so much to do in GTA4, it's almost overwhelming. :?

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

Neat.

It seems like there's going to be so much to do in GTA4, it's almost overwhelming. :?

Dutch_Mix

So many thing to do with so little time I have because of Uni. I really need to find the schedule to fit this game in, and hopefully this can actually be my first finished GTA game. I always get sidetrack because of how open ended these games are, and how alive the citys are.

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#242 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts
I swear to god if there is a helicopter mission as hard as the ones in San Andreas and Vice City I will be pissed.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#243 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Newly posted hands-on gameplay impressions from 1up.com. Pretty cool stuff. Check it out.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 rragnaar

Well I've got good news, and I've got bad news... :P

-Pedestrians Seemingly have thousands of lines of dialogue

- When asked about how the game begins VP of development Jeronimo Barrera says, "it sets up your position as an immigrant"

- The cast of characters guesstimated at being in the hundreds by Jeronimo

-Jeronimo states "We want this game to last for years. Im sure we'll do another GTA some time in the future, but this one is built to last" They also mention that the PS3 will most likely have their own form of DLC as well.

-Any problems with the PS3 version have been addressed and fixed. Sony tech. was there to help.

-The euphoria engine goes as far as Niko actually stepping up onto a curb and onto a dead body (think captain morgan).

- "Shots can penetrate some walls"

-Knife: "one slash across the face was enough to drop a bad guy"

-Firetrucks are confirmed. In the preview they state that they set a car on fire, call 911 for a firetruck, firetruck arrives, they steal it start driving down the street shooting the water cannonPSM

-Traffic is dense, just as you'd expect it to be in New York

-Grab a frank from a hot-dog vendor for a health boost. Bump his cart, though, and he'll get upset and refuse to serve you!

-In dense areas like Algonquin, painted yellow lines adjacent to safehouses serve as GTA IV's garages. Park your car there and it'll remain there indefinitely.

-Expect some platforming elements. One mission we played had Niko Shimmying along a roof's edge as he climbed his way to top.-You can phone Little Jacob during missions and have him bring you weapons in the trunk of his car.

The girlfriends feature is the same as it is in San Andreas, pick up the girl, take her to a restaurant, drive her home, etc.

OXM

Glad to hear the PS3 version is going to be solid, and that it is getting some DLC even if it isn't the stuff MS paid for...

Glad to hear the knife is worth using... the safe house info is pretty cool too...

Sad to hear about the girlfriends feature. It was such a weak element in San Andreas. The last thing I want to worry about in GTA is whether or not my fake GF is happy.

-Prime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 -Prime-
Member since 2006 • 964 Posts
Bah! Who needs girlfriends when you have your trusty AK and a nice roost overlooking the populace?!
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 rragnaar

Bah! Who needs girlfriends when you have your trusty AK and a nice roost overlooking the populace?!-Prime-

Indeed sir, indeed. *adjusts monocle*

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 HiResDes

Nice to hear that PS3 will have DLC, I keep hearing mixed signals from this. Clearly its not going to be the two episodes but at least its something.dvader654

The controls will probably be better on the PS3, though I hate the triggers on the Siaxxis. BTW I thought they were doing away with girlfriends completely, I'm not a happy camper.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 rragnaar

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Nice to hear that PS3 will have DLC, I keep hearing mixed signals from this. Clearly its not going to be the two episodes but at least its something.HiResDes

The controls will probably be better on the PS3, though I hate the triggers on the Siaxxis. BTW I thought they were doing away with girlfriends completely, I'm not a happy camper.

I'm not a huge fan of the sixaxis triggers either, but I bet they will be great for the driving elements. I'm hoping to be able to switch the shooting controls to the R1 button.

I thought they were doing away with girlfriends as well... I'm almost worried that the whole element of trying to maintain friendships, relationships, and all those other ships, could bring the game down. I have nothing but faith in Rockstar, but the girlfriends didn't enhance the GTA experience last time.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 SteelAttack
[QUOTE="HiResDes"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Nice to hear that PS3 will have DLC, I keep hearing mixed signals from this. Clearly its not going to be the two episodes but at least its something.rragnaar

I'm not a huge fan of the sixaxis triggers either, but I bet they will be great for the driving elements. I'm hoping to be able to switch the shooting controls to the R1 button.

I thought they were doing away with girlfriends as well... I'm almost worried that the whole element of trying to maintain friendships, relationships, and all those other ships, could bring the game down. I have nothing but faith in Rockstar, but the girlfriends didn't enhance the GTA experience last time.

I always walk alone. No GF for me, just like in San Andreas. What is this? The Sims Trigger Happy expansion?