graphics on new games between pc and 360?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 ncderek
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

now that the 360 has been out for a while, will games coming out on pc be better looking and run better than games on 360? a bad example would be vegas, it was much better on 360 even with people having much better systems than the 360. but what about upcoming games on the pc like gears of war, cod4, unreal tourn 3...what can we expect to have better graphics, 360 or pc, or not much of a difference yet?

what about on my computer compared to a xbox 360?

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
There's already a difference in Bioshock. Any game with Dx10 naturally looks better on PC. And with a great rig you get even better performance.
ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ncderek
what about my e6300, 2g or ram, and 1900gt 256mb compared to a 360?
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
Hard to say, since I do not have a high end rig. Well, my rig was high end 2 years ago, but now it is a budget. :x
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RK-Mara

what about my e6300, 2g or ram, and 1900gt 256mb compared to a 360?ncderek

You wont notice a big difference. PC's can handle better graphics than consoles, but most games are just ported over to PC, meaning that the PC version doesn't look any better than 360 version, except for Dx10 but your PC doesn't support it. At the worst PC games look uglier because of bad porting/optimizing.

PC's have access to better anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering but I'm not sure if your PC would handle them.

Oblivion would be good example here. Bethesda used a great amount of time optimizing the game and thanks to it, the game looks better on PC. With mods you can even make it better looking than any other game out.

bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 bigmit37
Member since 2004 • 4043 Posts

Any games built ground up for the PC will look better.

Example: Crysis

Gears of War is supposed to look better on the PC. (They made tweaks for the PC versio)

Cod 4 and UT 3? Not sure, since they are being built for the 360 as well.

ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ncderek

what about vegas or graw 1 and 2?

also, alot say you need a hdtv to get the graphics your pc gives you. if i use my monitor on a 360 is that almost if not as good as hdtv? will i get full detail and color?

OremLK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 OremLK
Member since 2007 • 745 Posts

The unfortunate thing is that developers are more and more designing games to run well on both the 360 and the PC, which means that the PC rarely gets to take advantage of its sometimes-superior capabilities. Lately I haven't seen anything on the PC that solidly beats out the 360 in graphics, though my PC games are a little higher resolution.

Crysis may change that, but I doubt it will be giant leaps and bounds above Unreal 3 technology such as that used in Gears of War and other games.

ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ncderek

what about vegas or graw 1 and 2?

also, alot say you need a hdtv to get the graphics your pc gives you. if i use my monitor on a 360 is that almost if not as good as hdtv? will i get full detail and color?

ncderek

bump, answer these 2 posts please!

cos_vanquish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cos_vanquish
Member since 2007 • 1143 Posts
I can't say for graw 1 n 2 because I haven't played them on the PC, but 360 takes the better looking for Vegas. Bioshock really looks good on PC, and just about every game that will be played in DX10 is going to look better on the PC then it will for the 360, IMHO.
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

In terms of multiplatform titles, the difference will only be slight.

However, the end of this year should begin to mark the shift in the cycle where games designed exclusively or primarily for the PC will begin to look noticable better then what any of the current consoles have at the time.....Crysis is an example of this.

Even some ports to PC in some cases won't be "straight" ports, but rather enhancements.....Gears of War for PC is actually getting a completely new updated build of the Unreal Engine 3 compared to the Xbox 360 version.....some of this has even been echoed by Epic when the said the new content for PC Gears of War isn't really compatible with the 360 version, and also for UT3 Epic has dropped hints that the Console versions like the PS3 version might not see the full range of maps the PC version will see.

This usually happens anywhere between 2 and 3 years into a console lifecycle, where even mid-range PC hardware has noticable surpassed console capabilities, and more importantly developers start utilizing PC resources again.....this happened around 2004 during the last console lifecycle when it was early that year that games started appearing on PC with noticable features that simply weren't possible on any Consoles at the time.

I'm not saying all games on PC are suddenly gonna blow Consoles away...not at all....but going forward with games like Crysis in late 2007 we are beginning to see games with visuals and features that finally make use of the higher-end PC hardware that surpass the capabilities of consoles....and that going forward into 2008 and 2009 the gap will continue to grow....especially as the hardware capable of handling those features not only get more advanced, but the current features become more affordable and common.

In 2008 and 2009 we should see games on PC that have even better features then that of Crysis.....this is similiar to how Far Cry started the new generation of DirectX 9 engines in early 2004 that weren't possible on the last generation of Consoles at the time, which was later followed up by better looking games like HL2 and later F.E.A.R.

A factor though is the adoption rate of Vista and DirectX 10, which doesn't appear to be that high at the moment....however, I think in the next couple of years one of two things will happen, if not both.....the Vista and DirectX 10 will finally equal or surpass Windows XP, thus giving developers more incentive to utilize it....or PC developers might look to exploiting higher end features through open source software like OpenGL in game development if the market for DirectX 10 and Vista doesn't pick up.

Well, that computer not so much....that PC is equivalent to maybe an newly bought entry level value gaming PC in late 2006 (ie, a gaming PC you could get complete with the monitor for less then $1000), the only different really being that you have 2GB.....and today it's considered even more of a value system...in fact, what is considered an entry level "value system" today surpasses those specs by a bit.

So basically you're not gonna notice much of a difference in that system compared to games on Xbox 360.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RK-Mara

ncderek

PC screens have been HD for a long time already. Even normal 17'' pc screen has more pixels than 720p HDTV.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
Does it really matter? :|
Macolele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Macolele
Member since 2006 • 534 Posts

My rig: E6300, 8600GT. It can not handle graphic like 360. Your system too.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Nearly all multiplats for PC and 360 will look better, or a lot better on PC. It is the inherent nature of the system itself. Its hardware is always improving, nearly every month, while consoles always remain stagnant. Once developers start getting into using the power of DX10 the differences are going to start becoming extreme compared to the way they have been for the past year. I think Gears of War will probably be one of the better examples. Running at high, nearly double that of the 360, resolutions, full MSAA, super high-res textures, exceedingly fast framerates and an overall polish not available to the 360 or the PS3.

Its what PC's do best, smash consoles in terms of technical achievements.
ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ncderek

Nearly all multiplats for PC and 360 will look better, or a lot better on PC. It is the inherent nature of the system itself. Its hardware is always improving, nearly every month, while consoles always remain stagnant. Once developers start getting into using the power of DX10 the differences are going to start becoming extreme compared to the way they have been for the past year. I think Gears of War will probably be one of the better examples. Running at high, nearly double that of the 360, resolutions, full MSAA, super high-res textures, exceedingly fast framerates and an overall polish not available to the 360 or the PS3.

Its what PC's do best, smash consoles in terms of technical achievements.
foxhound_fox

but what kind of computer is going to be able to make gears of war look better on pc than on 360? would mine?

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

I don't think so. You need a system that can really cope with Direct X 10. Games made especially for PC already look better than console titles. Thing is, you don't really have a guaranteed minimum levelof performance, as you do with consoles. Plus, PC hardware keeps evolving, but console software is evolving too. When the PS2 came out, no one in their right minds would predict that a game such as God of War would be possible with 4 MB of texture RAM. Resolutions, memoryand hardware effects are the domain of the PC, but the difference is not very big in my opinion.

dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts

I think at high resolutions and high/max settings the games on pc look better than on 360

Obviously you need a strong computer